Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard (46105 Views)

Buhari Reappoints Media Aide Bashir Ahmad Who Lost APC Reps Primary / How Osinbajo Lost Polling Unit / Breaking: APC Shifts Presidential Primary - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by randev537(m): 11:31pm On Jun 08, 2022
Osinbajo lost to his benefactor and national leader of the APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, who scored 1,271 votes to emerge as the APC flag bearer for the 2023 presidential election.

Prior to the primary, analysts had predicted that Osinbajo may sustain bruises, obviously for challenging his leader and benefactor, an unarguably Nigerian political enigma and leading presidential aspirant, to a political duel.

Although there were about 28 aspirants in the race for the APC ticket, who were later pruned to 13 by Chief John Ogigie-Oyegun-led Screening Committee, it was most apparent that race was really in between Osinbajo and Tinubu.

Having mustered all his strength at a primary that was considerably adjudged free and fair, there were a number of factors that precipitated Osinbajo’s loss:

Inaction and unpronounced support of Buhari
While it is an open secret that Osinbajo is riding on influence of his superior, President Muhammadu Buhari to clinch the party’s ticket, this was not reciprocated, not even in the President’s body language.

This is not far-fetched, as Buhari is known for being hesitant and indecisive at critical times when the party needs to be most proactive.

This was evident in how Buhari managed the issue of the APC flag bearer until the eve of the primary.

This obviously rubbed off on Osinbajo, because the Vice President was expectedly banking on the support of his principal to secure victory at the primary.

Unfortunately, Buhari was neither here nor there, which apparently left Osinbajo hanging and seemingly helpless in the middle of all the intrigues at the ruling party’s keenly-contested primary.

Failure of consensus plot
Following Buhari’s spiral of silence on Osinbajo’s candidacy, the idea of a consensus candidate, which would have strengthened the VP’s ambition was cut short.

All efforts by the leadership of the APC to broker truce on a consensus candidate for the party had hit a brick wall.

While observers had envisaged that Osinbajo was likely the choice of Buhari, because of the depth of commitment and loyalty of Osinbajo, the Chairman of the APC, Abdullai Adamu announced the name of the Senate President, Ahmed Lawan, which automatically laid to rest insinuations of Osinbajo becoming the a consensus candidate.

Although the progressive governors, particularly the Solomon Lalong-led Northern Governors Forum had prevailed on Buhari to cede power to South, their body language suggested that Osinbajo was possibly the choice of the forum.

Tinubu’s firm grip of Southwest
Aside from the Osinbajo Support Organization and Movement in the region, Osinbajo in the real sense does not have the grip and political machinery and support base that are sophisticated enough to wrestle power from Tinubu and beat the former governor to the ticket of the APC in Southwest.

The fallout of the APC Convention which saw politicians like governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi, Ibikunle Amosun, all of whom shared the same different views with Tinubu, shows that (Jagaban) still control the region, as against insinuations that he only enjoys the support of the Osun and Lagos State governors.

Party structure
Osinbajo may not have the luxury of control that Tinubu has built on over the years.

To his credit, Tinubu has organized political parties at the local, state, and national levels, since 1993. A reputed national leader of the APC, Tinubu’s political influence transcends Nigeria.

He was instrumental in the election that brought in former President Jacob Zuma and President Nana Akufo-Addo in South Africa and Ghana, respectively.

A master of local politics, Tinubu has been directly involved in determining people to run for office, managing and financing campaigns, nurturing the party in a locally-deft way that appeals to party constituents.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/06/real-reasons-osinbajo-lost-apc-presidential-primary/

60 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by derecho(m): 11:37pm On Jun 08, 2022
He lost because APC delegates are corrupt...SIMPLE.

There are contestants that have defeated their benefactors in the past.

The important thing is, he stood to be counted.

565 Likes 69 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jun 08, 2022
derecho:

Keep consoling yourself everything is about cash and bribes. Losers do that. I.e make excuses for their losses rather than consider that others may be better and deserve credit for their talent and ability.

507 Likes 32 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by derecho(m): 11:50pm On Jun 08, 2022
You are free to think however you wish.Most of Those delegates just like PDP delegates are corrupt... Simple.
Dsalvo:

Keep consoling yourself everything is about cash and bribes. Losers do that. I.e make excuses for their losses rather than consider that others may be better anx deserve credit for the talent and ability.

172 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by Tradegood: 12:00am On Jun 09, 2022
hm
I thought they, Osinbanjo and Tinubu, planned that he, Osinbanjo should contest so that some people will not say Tinubu only won because he did not allow Osibanjo to contest.

Osinbanjo shouldn't have betrayed Tinubu naa, chai! It is not good.

From Fasola, to Ambode to Aregbesola to Osinbanjo, e no good.
Tinubu will finish pulling his political weight to bring you people out from oblivion to limelight una go begin drag shoulder with am.
How would you have proved that you are the best performing Governor if someone did not give you the platform to do that?
E no good.
Learn servanthood if you want to be great.

Tinubu has the interest of Nigerians at heart.

I wanted Jonanthan to win 2nd term then even though I wondered why he was not listening to Obasanjo to step down (he should have listened to OBJ).

Tinubu made mistakes and Buhari made sure he dealt with him but Tinubu lapped it all up patiently.
Tinubu loves Nigeria. He has the best interest of the Nigerians at heart.

Thank YOU Heavenly FATHER for bringing smiles to the faces of Nigeria today.
The spirit of depression was lifted off our land today by Tinubu's victory. We are happy. Thank YOU LORD JESUS.

Demonic days are over in Nigeria in JESUS name, amen.

Modified 11/07/22
Tinubu picked a Muslim VP.
I hereby declare I am no longer supporting APC at the moment, unless they do right by picking a Christian VP.

121 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by Samunique(m): 12:05am On Jun 09, 2022
All na win win for the southwest !

Case closed !!!

We moveeee !!!!

54 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by Samunique(m): 12:09am On Jun 09, 2022
Just look at the bold !

To his credit, Tinubu has organized political parties at the local, state, and national levels, since 1993. A reputed national leader of the APC, Tinubu’s political influence transcends Nigeria.

He was instrumental in the election that brought in former President Jacob Zuma and President Nana Akufo-Addo in South Africa and Ghana, respectively.

72 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by Tradegood: 12:13am On Jun 09, 2022
Samunique:
Just look at the bold !

As in, I shock as I read this part.

(Abi na wetin make people dey accuse am of being a drug baron be this? As per, them no know where him dey get all him money)

Modified 11/07/22
Tinubu picked a Muslim VP.
I hereby declare I am no longer supporting APC at the moment, unless they do right by picking a Christian VP.

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by Samunique(m): 12:19am On Jun 09, 2022
Tradegood:

Honestly !!!

That's why, the type of confidence I saw in that man when it seemed all odd was against him was mind blowing.

He never panicked, even when the soul called fake consensus candidate was declared, that man really knows who he is.

86 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by 7lives: 12:21am On Jun 09, 2022
Tradegood:

No be only you.
ABAT is a political Armada.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by apache22b: 12:28am On Jun 09, 2022
Now the Coast is Clear. I and my entire family, on Tinubu's Manhood we Stand .

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:53am On Jun 09, 2022
Samunique:
All na win win for the southwest !

Case closed !!!

We moveeee !!!!
Correct Sam.

Nothing for us to type again,
You've said it all.
Including the image.

We moveeeee

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by festacman(m): 1:44am On Jun 09, 2022
Contrary to many people's thinking, I don't believe Prof. Yemi Osinbajo's political career is at great risk for contesting against his mentor Asiwaju Tinubu. Having been VP, the only position to aspire to is President and there is nothing stopping from doing that in future. There is no 100% assurance Asiwaju Tinubu will win the presidential election. So, Osinbajo just needs to tarry, keep being himself, building goodwill and network across Nigeria.

Talking about Osinbajo betraying Tinubu, what do you use to describe what Ganduje did to Kwankwanso, what Amaechi/Wike did to Odili, what Oyetola did to Aregbesola, what Tambuwal did to Wammako, what Udom did to Akpabio, etc.?

The fact is that there comes a time when someone needs to take a bold leap of fate in life regardless of other people's opinions. However, one must courageous to the consequences of such bold move if it goes south.

96 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by bjtinz: 1:54am On Jun 09, 2022
Abeg you guys should save all the long yeye analysis. Tinubu won because of his deep pockets and largely corrupt, hungry delegates. End. There was no way Osinbajo could match the dollar rain

My real concern is people, youth in particular are already looking forward to a Tinubu presidency (nightmare!!!) This is someone I could barely make out what he was saying during the acceptance speech.

Seriously, What is WRONG with you Nigerians?

Sigh ☹️

71 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by Badgers14: 6:08am On Jun 09, 2022
Osibanjo lost because he was a political no body. That's it!!

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by BigDawsNet: 6:08am On Jun 09, 2022
undecided
Because it's all acting

How did you expect osinbanjo to win his master...
He got the VP offer Because of tinubu

Yoruba proverb... "person wey sabi ur coming go sabi your going "

It's all game to make it look like a big deal

Let me tell u...the next president after tinubu is alrdy on the list now...it's just like hosting a worldcup...

It's tinubu turn... nobody is going to take that away from him...

Those people that pay 100m will probably get back their check back

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by meritadavize1(m): 6:09am On Jun 09, 2022
K
Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by Coldie(m): 6:09am On Jun 09, 2022
O
Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by inoki247: 6:09am On Jun 09, 2022
Na Motivational speaker push baba...

Apart from money structure matas I still dey look doz kids wey dey always talk say you can win election without structure na why Ameachi even beat him....

All of dem start to dey hide under Anointing oil, Consensus when dem see say e no sure for dem....

11 Likes

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by Mumusaphire: 6:09am On Jun 09, 2022
Continue bringing fake news as usual. The fake news u all giving nigerians will consume u guys one day.
Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by Nobody: 6:09am On Jun 09, 2022
Baba should go back to his legal practice. He has been missing for close to 8 years.

8 Likes

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by Kingspin(m): 6:09am On Jun 09, 2022
If the election was not free and fair.
If delegates weren't indulged with gifts

Don't come here and write nonsense.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by purplerope: 6:09am On Jun 09, 2022
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by SoundGuitar: 6:10am On Jun 09, 2022
I'm tired of all these lame analysis.

OrdinaryNigeria:
He didn't lost . Nigeria lost.
Atleast he wud rest from brain storming.
United nation will pick him or WHO.
ITS NIGERIA's LOSS
Very apt.

Celebrate Your Love Ones With a Beautiful Digital Art
Whatsapp: 09076082818 Now

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by chrisxxx(m): 6:10am On Jun 09, 2022
Wr
Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by inoki247: 6:12am On Jun 09, 2022
bjtinz:
Abeg you guys should save all the long yeye analysis. Tinubu won because of his deep pockets and largely corrupt, hungry delegates. End. There was no way Osinbajo could match the dollar rain

My real concern is people, youth in particular are already looking forward to a Tinubu presidency (nightmare!!!) This is someone I could barely make out what he was saying during the acceptance speech.

Sigh ☹️

lol you people still don't get it remove money naturally how many people av Osinbajo helped wey u know or don hear abt....

And naturally the delegates knows is easy for them to lobby and get a job from Tinubu dan Osinbajo doz people that step down for him he can promise dem ministers without him paying dem...

Tinubu as even helped Politicians across Border not only in Nigeria buh u people still don't get it remove money pata pata e go still win cos his easy for him to help dem dash dem post like pure water....

Apart from Osinbajo going to share 10k and snap pictures up nd down to come nd post online with added filter and blowing English up nd down without been realistic..

u don know anyone wey Osinbajo don help politically or just any help pass all the church people wey e go pack put as aide.....

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by joyandfaith: 6:12am On Jun 09, 2022
derecho:

Highest bidders won the primary.

7 Likes

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by Cajal(m): 6:13am On Jun 09, 2022
Law of retribution
He was Judas to TINUBU ...a political lord and so ..PMB was Judas to him ..A loyal star boy
He can now lick his wound

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by Kurumaru: 6:13am On Jun 09, 2022
Simply , Highest bidder won..

3 Likes

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by joyandfaith: 6:13am On Jun 09, 2022
bjtinz:

Sigh ☹️

No hope for Nigerians and Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Why Yemi Osinbajo Lost APC Presidential Primary - Vanguard by tollyboy5(m): 6:13am On Jun 09, 2022
Dsalvo:

Keep consoling yourself everything is about cash and bribes. Losers do that. I.e make excuses for their losses rather than consider that others may be better and deserve credit for their talent and ability.
Be decieving yourself. Money is the major factor

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Maryam Shetty Reacts To Withdrawal Of Her Nomination As Minister / President Buhari Visits Soldiers Injured By Boko Haram In Maiduguri Hospital / Ifeanyi Ubah Spotted With His Rolls Royce At A Wedding Event. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.