Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,275 members, 7,836,238 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

BMW Mechanic Diary - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Mechanic Diary (7055 Views)

BMW Mechanic In Lagos / Qualified BMW Mechanic In Benin / Any Good BMW Mechanic In Ibadan. Suggestions Please. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 2:52am On Jun 15, 2022
9icetoo:

Comparing apples to oranges.
Someone please help me define his problem....

What problem
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 2:53am On Jun 15, 2022
showietee:
Weldon, following keenly!

Please try to answer questions as you are been asked, there are reasons for those questions.

Would like to remind you that your honesty will aid your growth...

Thank you .
Honest people don't usually make money in this profession .that's what I've observed grin
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by showietee: 6:35pm On Jun 17, 2022
Antihelminth:

Thank you .
Honest people don't usually make money in this profession .that's what I've observed grin

Growth sometimes does not usually start with money but honesty and truthfulness

When you earn people truth, things will fall in place in the long run.

The question is, how many people really want to sacrifice that much?

2 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 7:53pm On Jun 17, 2022
Dear diary ..I'm getting tired of my boss
I want someone to teach me without berating me .
Someone that would explain things to me when I ask any type of question ..not telling I've not gotten to the level of knowing such things

Someone that would teach me something without becoming ng afraid that I would be better at doing it than them

Anyway who can link me up with another BMW mechanic or Mercedes Benz ..ive substantial experience I just need more experience..
I'm willing to pay for it

4 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:00pm On Jun 17, 2022
showietee:

Growth sometimes does not usually start with money but honesty and truthfulness

When you earn people truth, things will fall in place in the long run.

The question is, how many people really want to sacrifice that much?

Honesty ..
Truthfulness nd patience ..
Alot of patience
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by aieromon(m): 8:09pm On Jun 17, 2022
Antihelminth:
Someone that would explain things to me when I ask any type of question ..not telling I've not gotten to the level of knowing such things

Be patient and learn by observation. Remember that you have the advantage of online resources and videos.

Don't mess up this opportunity.

4 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:16pm On Jun 17, 2022
aieromon:

Be patient and learn by observation. Remember that you have the advantage of online resources and videos.

Don't mess up this opportunity.

I would not leave yet .
I'll try find a better place before I finally leave him .
I love that work.. it's the only job I see myself doing if school does not work out

2 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by 9icetoo(m): 4:00pm On Jun 18, 2022
Antihelminth:

What problem
You may need to go over to the Mercedes thread to find out.

Such comparisons though funny to you doesn't always end well.

You are working on one of the most unreliable vehicles out there.

Don't start a fight with the reliability kings.

I'm following your progress, don't turn others off.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 5:35pm On Jun 18, 2022
9icetoo:

You may need to go over to the Mercedes thread to find out.

Such comparisons though funny to you doesn't always end well.

You are working on one of the most unreliable vehicles out there.

Don't start a fight with the reliability kings.

I'm following your progress, don't turn others off.

Cheers.

I wouldn't want to argue with "Benz or nothing" gang or the Toyota fan boys

3 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by homeboy205: 6:54pm On Jun 18, 2022
Antihelminth:

Someone that would teach me something without becoming ng afraid that I would be better at doing it than them

Anyway who can link me up with another BMW mechanic or Mercedes Benz ..ive substantial experience I just need more experience..
I'm willing to pay for it

Patient brother, patient

2 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by 9icetoo(m): 3:04am On Jun 19, 2022
Antihelminth:

I wouldn't want to argue with "Benz or nothing" gang or the Toyota fan boys
Nice to know.
All the best

1 Like

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 9:18am On Jun 20, 2022
This was a case of oil leaking from the gear box ..it's an automatic gear box and there's this seal behind the converter ..once that seal is broken ATF would leak from that place ..
You'd have to keep topping the fluid or change it ..
Once the fluid begins to shorten in auto transmission the change in gears wouldn't be as smooth .like while you're in traffic and you want to move it sorts of disengages before it engages .
My observation in BMWs tho

2 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 9:18am On Jun 20, 2022
It was a BMW E36 straight six ..
Sort of like the performance version ..I wouldn't exactly assume it's a csl ...csl are mostly coupe ..
I'm not sure what it is but it has a 6 speed zf transmission which where mostly fitted to the e46
It's a woman that owns it .she didn't know the rate gem she was driving lol ..
As she was asking me waec questions

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 9:19am On Jun 20, 2022
Removing the gear box was hell ..
We had to use a crane .
Completely remove the exhaust and radiator ..a job requiring hours took us two days .

Clearly a case of lack of better tools

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 9:19am On Jun 20, 2022
Saw this .. grin grin some Nigerian panel beaters should be arrested grin grin

1 Like

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 9:37am On Jun 20, 2022
This is what the gear box seal looks like

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 9:39am On Jun 20, 2022
Just a fun picture of 330ci .with over heating issues ..
Broken water can ..

I wonder why they remove the thermostat ..my boss says it's because of weather bla bla bla ..
But I think changing the thermostat is better than. Removing it completely
Because even cars in Saudi Arabia have thermostat .so that weather bull shit does not make sense to me

3 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 10:12pm On Jul 09, 2022
I like this new level of calmness I'm at

Customers might be breathing down on my neck why I've not done they cars t enough ..and I'll be calm and doing what it's suppose to be done ..

I usually get distracted before albeit confused before ..
Not anymore

4 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 7:12pm On Jul 10, 2022
Someone said I was learning purely based on observation ..I'm just imagining if there's something like that in Nigerian apprenticeship system

5 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 7:13pm On Jul 10, 2022
I don't know why when I'm stressed I look ugly lmaooo idk ..

I'm at the lowest point of my life (story for another day ) lemme make memories

5 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by chukel(m): 5:20pm On Jul 11, 2022
Antihelminth:

Thank you .
a big lie. If u are good at what you do in any profession, you make money

3 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 2:40pm On Jul 12, 2022
chukel:
a big lie. If u are good at what you do in any profession, you make money

Okay boss
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by udomma1005(m): 2:35am On Jul 13, 2022
Antihelminth:
People of God why am I having difficulties uploading pictures
I'm new to this thing
"people of God"
grin grin

1 Like

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 6:17pm On Jul 13, 2022
udomma1005:

"people of God"
grin grin

I was confused on why pictures didn't upload grin grin
I've figured it out now wink wink

2 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by okoroemeka(m): 8:05pm On Jul 13, 2022
Antihelminth:
Setting the timing on the N46 engine is crazy ...everyone was lost including my boss ..we invited other BMW mechanics they were talking things we didn't want to do to the engine ..

So I checked YouTube grin
Finally smiley smiley
There are no timing marks on the engine
so how was the timing eventually set?German engineers has a way of making simple tasks to be complicated and difficult with overzealous overengineering.
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:01pm On Jul 14, 2022
okoroemeka:
so how was the timing eventually set?German engineers has a way of making simple tasks to be complicated and difficult with overzealous overengineering.

In setting the top cylinder timing ..there is a hole on the chain sprocket .it's a twin cam engine so each of the sprocket has one hole .

Those holes should be facing up at an angle of 90° holding it at that position is usually a problem since during setting there's a 16" bolt that needs to be tight after setting .BMW recommends we use a new one.becauee when the car is in motion it might lose

So on the fly wheel there's a hole .that we put an Allen key there .someone held it in place making sure it does not move .

Then on the cam shaft there's a four corner edge that needs to face up too 90° as well ..we used 22 spanner to hold it in place ..

Then .making sure those two holes on the sprocket alighn well..we put a wire .like forming a rectangle without the lenght .into those holes and then those 16 bolts were tight ...

The block engine timing is the usual .1and 4 up ..2 and 3 down .

In the YouTube video we watched he internet guy used a tool we can't get in Nigeria soooo we improvised .

I'm not sure youll get it .unless you've had small experience on something like that

I forgot to mention that the valvetronic does not need any timing setting ..you simply leave it as it is ...

5 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by AutoMoTech(m): 9:43pm On Jul 14, 2022
Antihelminth:

In setting the top cylinder timing ..there is a hole on the chain sprocket .it's a twin cam engine so each of the sprocket has one hole .

Those holes should be facing up at an angle of 90° holding it at that position is usually a problem since during setting there's a 16" bolt that needs to be tight after setting .BMW recommends we use a new one.becauee when the car is in motion it might lose

So on the fly wheel there's a hole .that we put an Allen key there .someone held it in place making sure it does not move .

Then on the cam shaft there's a four corner edge that needs to face up too 90° as well ..we used 22 spanner to hold it in place ..

Then .making sure those two holes on the sprocket alighn well..we put a wire .like forming a rectangle without the lenght .into those holes and then those 16 bolts were tight ...

The block engine timing is the usual .1and 4 up ..2 and 3 down .

In the YouTube video we watched he internet guy used a tool we can't get in Nigeria soooo we improvised .

I'm not sure youll get it .unless you've had small experience on something like that

keenly following your thread bro. very nice one. i currently work more on Mercedes Benz too. though I do more work on diagnosis and electrical system.

2 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 12:49pm On Jul 15, 2022
AutoMoTech:

keenly following your thread bro. very nice one. i currently work more on Mercedes Benz too. though I do more work on diagnosis and electrical system.

Wow cool ...the electricals are complex .I think you should do both .most cars these days you can't do anything on them without scanning them .
I'm also learning the diagnosis aspect of the job .
Weldone bro .
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by AutoMoTech(m): 8:25pm On Jul 15, 2022
Antihelminth:

Wow cool ...the electricals are complex .I think you should do both .most cars these days you can't do anything on them without scanning them .
Weldone bro .

yeah trying to work out something. hoping to connect with a BMW/VW TECH we can work together and i can learn from. but to a large extent their systems are very similar.
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 12:08pm On Jul 16, 2022
AutoMoTech:

yeah trying to work out something. hoping to connect with a BMW/VW TECH we can work together and i can learn from. but to a large extent their systems are very similar.

Same with Benz yes ..but not vw ..I've not really had any experience on newer ones tho..

Good luck with that boss ..
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by aieromon(m): 1:35pm On Jul 16, 2022
Antihelminth:

What tools are you using?
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Franzinni: 4:53pm On Jul 16, 2022
Nicely put together ... I love bmws since I was a child .. I have owned about 4 of them till date and I never regret having them... looking through your thread brings back memories.. it's made my day.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Black Smoke N Heavy Fuel Consumption, Help Needed Urgently / In The Ember Months Accidents Are Caused By Human Error; Not Demons / Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.