Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,256 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

BMW Mechanic Diary - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Mechanic Diary (7056 Views)

BMW Mechanic In Lagos / Qualified BMW Mechanic In Benin / Any Good BMW Mechanic In Ibadan. Suggestions Please. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 9:30pm On Jul 16, 2022
aieromon:

What tools are you using?

Launch x432 obd2 scanner...
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by aieromon(m): 10:06pm On Jul 16, 2022
Antihelminth:

Launch x432 obd2 scanner...

X432 or X431?

1 Like

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by sexyto(m): 3:09pm On Jul 17, 2022
Can you recommend the e90? and why?
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 7:13pm On Jul 24, 2022
Now BMW engines generally don't like heat but they emit alot of heat .so making sure that you're cooking system is performing optimally is the best thing to do ..
It usually starts with little things as your water can bursting ..
Lol I'm calling it little keh a new one costs 20- 22k
That being said .

We was working on a BMW e46 convertible with burnt out head gasket ..

1 Like

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 7:22pm On Jul 24, 2022
Before opening up the top cylinder to change a gasket you make sure you exhaust all available options like changing the cooling system from direct engine fan to electric ..that use to solve the over heating issues ..but when persistent then gasket change it is ..

The e46 convertible came with an m54 engine which is a straight six ..the top is Abit complex although not as complex as an n46 engine

Alright it has a twin cam.single vanos and vvt ..

I couldn't take more picture because it was raining and I had alot of oil on my hand no one to help me with the pictures as we where just two working on it ..
Alright gasket was replaced from the metal type to the composite type ..

Real question can we find the metal type gasket in Nigeria at all angry

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 7:54pm On Jul 24, 2022
sexyto:
Can you recommend the e90? and why?

Yes the e90 is great .as the less problematic ones have the n52 engines ..although the n52 engine has a valve seal issue...the valve seal tend to break with age and engine might start smoking .
But if you're buying it begium great ..if not ...do your due diligence ..
I wouldn't advice you buy the one with n46 engine because omo ..BMW are not just good with making four cylinder engines I don't know why tho .

It costs around 4m ..Nigerian used can go btwn 2m and 1.5

The m3 V8 e90 has bearing issues sooo ...although I've never seen one or worked on one before I guess no body was bold enough to import one close to where I live ..

All that boils down to how you drive if you're aggressive ..expect to change the valve seals with time on n52 or change the bearings when you've the m version

Parts are expensive ...for example it has an electric water pump it costs 60k .

Non engine related repairs are cheap .averagely cheap tho ..

2 Likes

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:02pm On Jul 24, 2022
These days everywhere is just wet ...working under these conditions is tedious enough .I most times forget I've a phone ,I want to update the diary with pictures but ....you know ...it happens

1 Like

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Almaigaa: 9:23pm On Jul 24, 2022
fineboynl:
Bmw. Do people still drive BMW?

BMW are one of the most driven brands of Cars in Kaduna. You see so many beautiful specs there. They also have good BMW mechanics. I own one too.

1 Like

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by sexyto(m): 10:04pm On Jul 24, 2022
[quote author=Antihelminth post=115050983]

Yes the e90 is great .as the less problematic ones have the n52 engines ..although the n52 engine has a valve seal issue...the valve seal tend to break with age and engine
OK, so the N52 engine is better,what about the engine in the LCI models of say 2009-2010 ?

1 Like

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by sexyto(m): 10:08pm On Jul 24, 2022
I love the e60 too, which engine is better in the e60?does is suffer the same issues with the e90?
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 10:09pm On Jul 24, 2022
[quote author=sexyto post=115055082][/quote]
I don't know what lci models mean ..
But the n52 was in cars from 2006 to 2015 .or there about ..
Not that they are bad engines per say ..age just have an effect on them compared to the m54 which I think is the best engine BMW has in terms of reliability
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by sexyto(m): 6:57am On Jul 25, 2022
Antihelminth:

I don't know what lci models mean ..
But the n52 was in cars from 2006 to 2015 .or there about ..
Not that they are bad engines per say ..age just have an effect on them compared to the m54 which I think is the best engine BMW has in terms of reliability
LCI means the facelift models of every bmw, so you recommend the m54 over the n52?
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by sexyto(m): 6:59am On Jul 25, 2022
[quote author=Antihelminth post=115055239]
Does the e90 come with the m54 engine?
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 7:56am On Jul 25, 2022
sexyto:

LCI means the facelift models of every bmw, so you recommend the m54 over the n52?

I've only seen the m54 on a 2005 e60 .

I don't know if the e90 s have it too ..I've never seen one with it ..

I'm not saying n52 engines are bad ...only thing is if you're buying the car as begium ..then yes as you'll maintain it well ..
But if it's Nigerian used you should expect the worst ..

1 Like

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 10:30am On Jul 25, 2022
Antihelminth:
After changing the oil pump and still the sound was there .although looking at the tapets they looked very okay but that sound was just there

Decided to to take another approach and change the top cylinder since all of us agree that the sound is from there grin
We had some in stock so we was just throwing them in and changing

But that too didn't work ..
We den decided to remove piston three since it was the one that was misfiring
And then we saw that

Remember this story ?
Engine knocked ..
I'll update you with the details grin
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:01pm On Jul 31, 2022
Found pieces of the engine block on the ground when we went to where the car stopped and disappointed the owner grin (typical of a BMW )
..towed it to the shop and removed the intake manifold

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:02pm On Jul 31, 2022
Removed the engine and decided to do the honours of doing a full autopsy myself grin..

I love engines .and why not smiley

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:02pm On Jul 31, 2022
Top cylinder is still good ..boss definatly would want to keep it ..
Engine tear down continues ......

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:03pm On Jul 31, 2022
Fly wheel aside ...clutch plate and disc aside ..top cylinder aside ..

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:03pm On Jul 31, 2022
I opened up the bottom plate and first thing I saw ..more broken piesces of the engine block with a bent connecting rod bolt ..
I don't still get how that thing came off like that .
But then we added paper to the piston bearing (one of those things they do because getting quality bearings in Nigeria has been made impossible by the influx of fake parts )
Well I think that contributed coupled with lack of proper oil circulation in the engine block

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:04pm On Jul 31, 2022
The bottom plate with the oil pump attached ..i couldn't remove the oil pump separately some bolt without head was holding it in place soooo ..broke it at last ..

I discovered that the pipe that directs oil from the bottom plate to the oil pump is without filter ..tbh that's the main source of that engine failure .because it def have drew in dirt from the bottom plate and it blocked the oil pipes in the block engine ..
Crank shaft was burnt around piston 3 and 4 the one that broke off was piston 4

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:06pm On Jul 31, 2022
Kj

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:06pm On Jul 31, 2022
Piston 4 ..extensive damage ..

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:07pm On Jul 31, 2022
Picture of gear box and release bearing for viewing pleasure ..gm gear box 5 speed

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by 09sixteen: 7:53pm On Aug 01, 2022
Followed ur post from the beginning. Very intresting. Pls keep the good work. I will contact you.
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 10:13pm On Aug 01, 2022
09sixteen:
Followed ur post from the beginning. Very intresting. Pls keep the good work. I will contact you.

Thank you boss ....glad you found it interesting.
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by sexyto(m): 4:57pm On Aug 02, 2022
Good updates.
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by 09sixteen: 3:32am On Aug 15, 2022
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 3:42pm On Sep 08, 2022
The famous BMW e90x et e60 water pump ..
80k per piece .minus transport and installation fees ..
Know what you're getting into befor you buy a BMW with the N engine

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by sexyto(m): 4:05pm On Sep 08, 2022
Hmm, BMW is truly a money pit.
Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by Antihelminth: 8:54pm On Sep 08, 2022
sexyto:
Hmm, BMW is truly a money pit.

I don't think so ..from 2007 downwards .the water pumps are usually 10k or less .not more than .
And they don't fail like that .water pumps can take up to 7 years before they fail .

I think it's still worth it .a Toyota water pump in a 2007 car might be more expensive

1 Like

Re: BMW Mechanic Diary by sexyto(m): 9:01pm On Sep 08, 2022
Antihelminth:

I don't think so ..from 2007 downwards .the water pumps are usually 10k or less .not more than .
And they don't fail like that .water pumps can take up to 7 years before they fail .

I think it's still worth it .a Toyota water pump in a 2007 car might be more expensive
I don't get you, 10000k less from 80000k so what is the Actual cost of 2007 below water pumps?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Black Smoke N Heavy Fuel Consumption, Help Needed Urgently / In The Ember Months Accidents Are Caused By Human Error; Not Demons / Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.