Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,893 members, 7,810,428 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) (1275 Views)

I Need Advise On What To Do About A Controversial Girlfriend / She Shot Her Shot (and He Said Yes!) Pictures included / Which Of These Black Women Would You Have Sex With? ((pictures Included)) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 10:48am On Jun 10, 2022
This is a topic I find intresting... Hopefully someone here would enjoy this thread...

If you are sensitive kindly leave... Graphic pictures would be included...

I know I shouldn't post this here... But the education section is dead so...

Fernandezisback

Thesourcerer

Kingwin

Jeon

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 10:54am On Jun 10, 2022
In 1945, American surgeon Walter Freeman developed the 'ice pick' lobotomy...

It was usually performed under local anaesthetic...

It only took a few minutes and involved driving the icepick through the thin bone of the eye socket... Then manipulating it to damage the prefrontal lobes...

In other words the icepick was hammered through the eye socket into the brain and "wriggled around" often leaving the patient in a vegetative state...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 10, 2022
The first lobotomy was developed and performed by a Portuguese neurologist... António Egas Moniz...

He is regarded as one of the founders of modern psychosurgery...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by dawnomike(m): 11:02am On Jun 10, 2022
Evil in it's purest form... shocked

2 Likes

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 10, 2022
Moniz had an idea that some forms of mental illness were caused by an abnormal sort of stickiness in nerve cells... Causing neural impulses to get stuck and the patient to repeatedly experience the same pathological ideas...

He thought that if the nerve fibers causing these morbidly fixed ideas could be destroyed... The patient might improve...

In November 1935... He and his assistants made the first attempts at this type of psychosurgery...

First they gave a series of alcohol injections to the frontal lobe through holes drilled in the skull...

After seven patients they switched to cutting the lobe with a wire. Nothing was removed; connections were just severed...

2 Likes

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 10, 2022
dawnomike:
Evil in it's purest form... shocked
He won a nobel prize... That's science for you... It was awful but we've come a long since... Lobotomy is used to treat epilepsy...

3 Likes

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:10am On Jun 10, 2022
The first psychosurgery was performed in 1935 on a 63-year-old woman with depression... Anxiety... Paranoia... Hallucinations and insomnia...

The patient experienced a rapid physical recovery and two months later... A psychiatrist noted that she was calmer and less paranoid and well oriented...

2 Likes

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:11am On Jun 10, 2022
Pictures...

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 10, 2022
Within a year of reading Moniz's publication, he and an assistant had performed 20 lobotomies...

Freeman would sometimes perform the two-handed lobotomies: hammering ice picks into both eyes at once...

In 1952... He performed 228 lobotomies in a two-week period in West Virginia alone...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 10, 2022
More pictures...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:25am On Jun 10, 2022
Lobotomy was performed mostly on women...

By 1942... 75% of Freeman and Watts patients were women...

This gender disproportion has been linked to the fact that it was in fact women who were diagnosed with depression and mania than men which made them better candidates for the procedure...

This also stems from the excessive need to sedate and tranquilize outspoken and opinionated women who were depressed because of the pressures of the household...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Jeon(f): 11:26am On Jun 10, 2022
Very terrifying .

3 Likes

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:33am On Jun 10, 2022
Jeon:
Very terrifying .
Extremely...

Mental houses then... Sheesh!

From ice baths to electroconvulsive therapy and even lobotomy...

Scary...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:37am On Jun 10, 2022
Freeman believed that mental illness was related to overactive emotions... So by cutting the brain he believed he could cut away these feelings...

1 Like

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:43am On Jun 10, 2022
While the vast majority of his patients seemed to recover... Reduced tension or agitation... Many also showed other effects... Such as...

Apathy...

Passivity...

Lack of initiative...

Poor ability to concentrate

A decreased intensity of their emotional response to life...

Seizures...

Loss of bladder control or bowel control...

Changes in appetite...

Weakness...

Changes in language ability...

Brain infection...

Cognitive impairment...

Changes in personality and emotion...

Etc...

1 Like

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:48am On Jun 10, 2022
I'll post before and after pictures...
Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:53am On Jun 10, 2022
Lobotomies were usually carried out on patients with schizophrenia... Severe depression or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)...

In some cases... People with learning difficulties or problems controlling aggression...

They were performed on children too... For being children... undecided

How dangerous is a kid?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:57am On Jun 10, 2022
The surgery reduced the patients to morons... Most of whom had to re-learn how to use the toilet...

Freeman was more concerned with the appearance of his patients than the post-operative side effects of lobotomy...

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 11:59am On Jun 10, 2022
And yes.. Women were better off as 'household pets'... undecided

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jun 10, 2022
Nothing behind those eyes... undecided

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Ballzproblemm: 12:04pm On Jun 10, 2022
if you dey create threads like this for NL, pesin go take you serious , instead of bragging about your exes at the age of 19
Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 10, 2022
Ballzproblemm:
if you dey create threads like this for NL, pesin go take you serious , instead of bragging about your exes at the age of 19
I used to... But no one was interested... Threads on boys I like make frontpage...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jun 10, 2022
Worried that you're unemployed? Have a lobotomy!

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jun 10, 2022
And a few more...

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 10, 2022
I'll be back soon to continue...

1 Like

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by siofra(f): 2:15pm On Jun 10, 2022
Gratefully science has advanced shocked

1 Like

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jun 10, 2022
siofra:
Gratefully science has advanced shocked
Yes... grin

If not you and I and the billion other outspoken women would have been lobotomized...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by TheCeasar: 2:53pm On Jun 10, 2022
Can the person still see after the lobotomy?
Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 10, 2022
TheCeasar:
Can the person still see after the lobotomy?
Yes...

Here's one... He was lobotomized at the age of twelve... For being disobedient... Dreamy... Etc...

Typical kid...

His stepmother encouraged his father to consent to the operation...

Other therapist told her Howard was just being a child... Most even said she's the cause...

But Freeman willingly performed the surgery on him...

He's written a book...

I'll write more about him...

2 Likes

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by TheCeasar: 3:01pm On Jun 10, 2022
Datboredberri:
Yes...

Here's one... He was lobotomized at the age of twelve... For being disobedient... Dreamy... Etc...

Typical kid...

His stepmother encouraged his father to consent to the operation...

Other therapist told her Howard was just being a child... Most even said she's the cause...

But Freeman willingly performed the surgery on him...

He's written a book...

I'll write more about him...
damn
Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jun 10, 2022
TheCeasar:
damn
What's worse?

Risk damaging the eyes or damaging the most complex thing; the human brain?

Scary...

1 Like

Re: Icepick Lobotomy: A Controversial History... (pictures Included) by Jeon(f): 4:26pm On Jun 10, 2022
Datboredberri:
Freeman believed that mental illness was related to overactive emotions... So by cutting the brain he believed he could cut away these feelings...

Hmmh.
I can't stand to imagine the pains shocked

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Should I Get My Boyfriend. / "I Started Frying Akara 3-years Ago": Young Nigerian Lady Celebrates Her Hustle / I Don't Want To Ever Feel Emotionally Attached To Anyone Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.