Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,660 members, 7,820,324 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job (5921 Views)

Ugrade To The Next Level With Netflix Premium Ultra 4k HD - "Take Action Today" / The Easiest Way To Record Netflix Video With Vidmore Screen Recorder / Netflix Premium Acct For Sale....1k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by naijasensei: 12:06pm On Jun 16, 2022
coolshegs1:

Abeg, no try am o boss, u go dey dry and u'll loose appetite for food.
In the long run, ur health will pay for it.
What's the essence when you're not healthy to spend your money again?

Just take it a step at a time. As I dey so, I no dey rush again. One langauage after the other, then Recruiter go start to see my disturbance for LinkedIn grin

Thanks for this. I seriously don't understand the desperation I have seen in this thread. How can people be thinking, and even talking about taking drugs in order to achieve their objectives? Is it when they discover they are addicted, or that there are some hitherto undiscovered side effects; is that when they will learn?
The entertainment industry is littered with many examples of people who used 'mild' drugs to help them maintain their busy schedules. All it took was one mistake, and they ended up dead. Three examples stand out - Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, and Heath Ledger. As I always say, wise people learn from their mistakes, but wiser people learn from other people's mistakes.
As always, this is my personal opinion.

4 Likes

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:30pm On Jun 16, 2022
qtguru:

guy nau i dey this table cry

Sorry bros.

1 Like

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by airsaylongcome: 2:30pm On Jun 16, 2022
angry

Na smoke I smoke o. I nor kee person

tensazangetsu20:

Get rich or die trying bros grin. Someone recommended weed but all the weed smokers I see are useless lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Eaztzide: 11:11pm On Jun 16, 2022
coolshegs1:

I initially heard about Leetcode fro a Naija babe on YouTube (Bukola). She works at Google now..
According to her, she studied it day and night for months and later started appyling for jobs.

Since I'm following the Data Analytics pathway, I'll be learning DS&A by the sides when I plan to enter Data Engineering. For now, I'll learn what I need to become a BI dev or Data analyst.

I think you're talking about Bukola.dev. Kinda popular Youtuber.

Last time I checked, she was a Developer advocate at Google before she resigned.

1 Like

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by coolshegs1: 11:33pm On Jun 16, 2022
SavageBoy:

Okay thought as much

Data engineering is lucrative like madd

Some say it's the next big thing after SWE because it's not saturated yet..
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by coolshegs1: 11:35pm On Jun 16, 2022
naijasensei:

Thanks for this. I seriously don't understand the desperation I have seen in this thread. How can people be thinking, and even talking about taking drugs in order to achieve their objectives? Is it when they discover they are addicted, or that there are some hitherto undiscovered side effects; is that when they will learn?
The entertainment industry is littered with many examples of people who used 'mild' drugs to help them maintain their busy schedules. All it took was one mistake, and they ended up dead. Three examples stand out - Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, and Heath Ledger. As I always say, wise people learn from their mistakes, but wiser people learn from other people's mistakes.
As always, this is my personal opinion.

I agree with you �. Seriously, it's not worth it.
Life na marathon.. We still have a long way to go, by God's grace.

1 Like

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SavageBoy: 5:32am On Jun 17, 2022
coolshegs1:

SWE isn't saturated.

People are jus trooping in but the % of people that knows it at exceptional degree is just a little fraction. Besides there are more than enough jobs for the large number of software engineers that know what they're doing.

Same with product design. Forget the large number of people rushing to learn UI/UX design, like what tensa once said; Nigeria do not really have world class designers. Sure, we have the very good ones, but they are very scarce. The rest are just your regular designers.

So, I'm not worried about the numbers or saturation level of any skill. My aim is just to be world class, which very few will attain.

6 Likes

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by TheManOfTheYear: 7:47am On Jun 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I am looking for it seriously. If I cant get it I am gonna smuggle it in. I don't mind foregoing sleep for the next one to two years to learn everything on leetcode. If I die in the process so be it.
What does the drug do?
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by TheManOfTheYear: 8:24am On Jun 17, 2022
namikaze:
Opinion:
For those of you who want to learn DSA, y'all should slow down a bit. Learning DSA especially the fundamentals is not concerned at all with leetcode, leetcode is what you do when you're good with the basics.
This is the comment!
The first step would be to take a proper course on understanding the fundamentals of DSA, which is what I'm doing now.

Leetcode and the rest are for practice sake.

1 Like

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:43am On Jun 17, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
What does the drug do?
Makes you hyperfocused. Also increases the rate your brain is able to absorb stuff
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by TheManOfTheYear: 8:47am On Jun 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Makes you hyperfocused. Also increases the rate your brain is able to absorb stuff
This is definitely not over-the-counter. I'm very wary of drugs though, I have to be sure it is devoid of addiction and side effects before using.

I'd do further research, thanks.

1 Like

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:49am On Jun 17, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
This is definitely not over-the-counter. I'm very wary of drugs though, I have to be sure it is devoid of addiction and side effects before using.

I'd do further research, thanks.

It's actually for ADHD but normal people can take it to increase their learning and productivity rate. They are also known as study drugs. You can google them
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by namikaze: 9:02am On Jun 17, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
This is the comment!
The first step would be to take a proper course on understanding the fundamentals of DSA, which is what I'm doing now.

Leetcode and the rest are for practice sake.
Exactly, you'll see folks who don't even know how to reverse a string jumping into leetcode like are you being serious right now? Get the basics right, and when you're a bit comfortable, start practicing on leetcode/hackerank, that's the surer way.

1 Like

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by ajsans: 5:22pm On Jun 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

It's actually for ADHD but normal people can take it to increase their learning and productivity rate. They are also known as study drugs. You can google them
Are you sure there isn't any side effects.
I meet someone on twitter that sell his for 60k. But I am reluctant about it
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by franklingud(m): 9:02pm On Jun 17, 2022
And

I really need a hacker right now, very urgent.

Lots of cash involved.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by romeo411(m): 11:29pm On Jun 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I am looking for it seriously. If I cant get it I am gonna smuggle it in. I don't mind foregoing sleep for the next one to two years to learn everything on leetcode. If I die in the process so be it.
Does it mean that such stuff can't be learned without forgoing sleep? Is a crazy stuff but I don't think the guys you're looking up to did that except they told you they did.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by romeo411(m): 12:04am On Jun 18, 2022
Some guys here, na programming pundits they ought to be not coding.

2 Likes

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by coolshegs1: 3:57pm On Jun 18, 2022
SavageBoy:

SWE isn't saturated.

People are jus trooping in but the % of people that knows it at exceptional degree is just a little fraction. Besides there are more than enough jobs for the large number of software engineers that know what they're doing.

Same with product design. Forget the large number of people rushing to learn UI/UX design, like what tensa once said; Nigeria do not really have world class designers. Sure, we have the very good ones, but they are very scarce. The rest are just your regular designers.

So, I'm not worried about the numbers or saturation level of any skill. My aim is just to be world class, which very few will attain.

I agree with you 100%. That's why I want to take my time and understand what I'm doing. I'm not rushing anymore.

I just want to attain the DE role because it cuts across other domains. As a Data Engineer, I'll have an idea of cloud computing, Backend, a bit of Cyber and other popular fields.

So help me God cheesy

1 Like

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 23, 2022
coolshegs1:

what is SWE?
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by acekhalifa(m): 9:06pm On Jun 23, 2022
branham890:

what is SWE?
Software Engineer/Engineering.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by coolshegs1: 1:39pm On Jun 24, 2022
branham890:

what is SWE?

Software Engineering
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SavageBoy: 12:30pm On Jul 25, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Lol the Indian guy is just now learning html and css for his internship. He spent all his time learning algorithms and design patterns. Well it depends sha just get job you fit start with that html and css then when you get job you start dey learn those dsa cause dsa fit take you more than 2 years to get good. At least to be earning some money during that period. I don't know your situation. If your parents are very well to do and rucb then it's wiser to learn everything to get the high paying role but if you are from a poor family it's better to learn something that can give you a job at least and you can start learning the core things in that job. Imagine you dey learn dsa or design patterns and laptop spoil and You went through serious pain to even get the laptop lipsrsealed

Hey big chief, I'm trying to incorporate DSA into my self taught learning journey, but it just seems like one need to have a sound knowledge of coding before one can hop into DSA. I know you mentioned an Indian friend of yours who learned DSA before moving on to programming, and like what you and some other tech folks have said here, it's possible to learn DSA without having to go very deep in programming. So, what course or learning platform would you suggest I start with if I want to start learning DSA. A whole lot of DSA courses talks about DSA with python, JS, C++,Java and the likes. I don't any core programming knowledge yet, but would like to start learning DSA early enough. So, your input on how best I should start will be appreciated, I will be able to navigate the rest once I begin.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:46pm On Jul 25, 2022
SavageBoy:

Hey big chief, I'm trying to incorporate DSA into my self taught learning journey, but it just seems like one need to have a sound knowledge of coding before one can hop into DSA. I know you mentioned an Indian friend of yours who learned DSA before moving on to programming, and like what you and some other tech folks have said here, it's possible to learn DSA without having to go very deep in programming. So, what course or learning platform would you suggest I start with if I want to start learning DSA. A whole lot of DSA courses talks about DSA with python, JS, C++,Java and the likes. I don't any core programming knowledge yet, but would like to start learning DSA early enough. So, your input on how best I should start will be appreciated, I will be able to navigate the rest once I begin.

He already knew a programming language. Knowing a programming language is completely different from learning frontend or backend tools.
You have to know a programming language very well to learn dsa. I recommend python because it has heaps. Java has heaps but too verbose. JavaScript doesn't have any heaps if you get a heap question you have to build a heap in JavaScript yourself. You can use books like grokking algorithms to learn the basics and start solving questions on leetcode and hackkerank till you get good.

1 Like

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SavageBoy: 12:49pm On Jul 25, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

He already knew a programming language. Knowing a programming language is completely different from learning frontend or backend tools.
You have to know a programming language very well to learn dsa. I recommend python because it has heaps. Java has heaps but too verbose. JavaScript doesn't have any heaps if you get a heap question you have to build a heap in JavaScript yourself. You can use books like grokking algorithms to learn the basics and start solving questions on leetcode and hackkerank till you get good.

Oh! thanks chief
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by stankelz: 6:19pm On Jul 25, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
hey bro.. can I find grokking algorithm on udemy?

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by stankelz: 6:19pm On Jul 25, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

hey bro.. can I find grokking algorithm on udemy?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? / Vb.net Calculator / IQ And Programming... Does Having A High IQ Make You A Better Programmer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.