Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,594 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? (301910 Views)

Nigerian Army Releases Academic Records Of Buhari / Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents / Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by idupaul: 1:19am On Mar 29, 2016
aljharem3:

Nah, if I remember correctly. This guy did not have anybody.

My friend you have to be that bodyguard first (nothing comes easy) unless u know someone in there

Lastly unless you are applying as a tactician then that is the only way that i know of

You clearly know nothingbaboutthe military and its internal politics..

OP there is nothng that can assure how high you rise in the Nigerian military ..we have seen most sword of honor officers get dropped before they make lt col ..and we have seen nyamangoro officers make it to the very top ..we have seen officer that didnt even meet the height requiremnet become cjhief or army
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by orisa37: 4:52am On Mar 29, 2016
Be frank, astute, obedient and disciplined. Never behave like a Nigerian Police, you are expected to be cleaner.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by costlypato: 7:44am On Mar 29, 2016
Eemah:

Once u attain d rank of a brigadier in d military, ur salary is for life, security(guards) is for life, d military stil provides u wit certain incentives until d day u die.
There r 4 classes of generals in d military, a Brigadeir is a 1star general, a Major Gen. Is a 2star gen, a Lieut. Gen. Is a 3star gen, then a Field Marshal is a 4 star gen. Which no Nigerian has been able toattain yet, U have their equivalent in d Airforce & Navy. D rule applies there alao.
Gud Luck !!!
Bros dont say what u dont knw. Field marshal is a 5star general
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Thomanad(m): 4:31pm On Mar 30, 2016
Pls house i have a question.
Can the attestation form be signed by a retired military officer.I am an applicant of this year navy and airforce recruitment.My attestation form was signed by a retired colonel,hope this does not disqualify me.
Secondly, pls i need conditions and ways to becoming a commissioned officer from a recruit.Thanks
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by johnmarcel(m): 1:19pm On Apr 01, 2016
This military sumtin no be beans
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by ochix(m): 12:26am On Apr 14, 2016
Sir please I need clearification on some areas , I'm a serving corp member passing out by september
1. Can I apply while still serving?
2. After being shortlisted into ssc are there any fees to be paid?
3. Do NDA RC pay tuition fees for the whole five year of study?
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by dannyslim14: 9:56pm On Apr 15, 2016
Please am a bsc mass comm graduate from noun, pls can my degree get me into the navy and how far can it take me + what rank do I get for a start with my degree
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by IkennaAlex: 10:07am On Apr 19, 2016
ochix:
Sir please I need clearification on some areas , I'm a serving corp member passing out by september
1. Can I apply while still serving?
2. After being shortlisted into ssc are there any fees to be paid?
3. Do NDA RC pay tuition fees for the whole five year of study?
you cant apply without your NYSC discharge certificatesecondly regular cadets pay no fees but rather they recieve allowance
also for ssc you pay nothing but also recieve allowance
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Miftahu002: 12:18pm On Apr 24, 2016
Please what is the NDA post utme subjects combination for political science is it the same as in normal universities where you write the exam based on your course of study or is it the same as in their previous entrance exams where english and maths is compulsory irrespective of whatever course you will study
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by tsdarkside(m): 12:34pm On Apr 24, 2016
why do you care!!...

this questions sounds silly........

what makes you special than others??........why do you think its that important to know this??....

your soul will determin that....its realy nothing special to know....
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Miftahu002: 2:16pm On Apr 24, 2016
Why do u think I will not care! Why do u think I'm special than others just because I asked what I dont know, and I want to know to be prepared! Why do u think this is a silly question! Dont u know why jamb is using brochure and syllable books now ebooks! do we mean all this is silly! do u mean choosing and knowing subjects combination is silly! do we mean preparing for exam based on your course of study not reading randomly is silly! and why do u think all this is not important to me if it is not important to u! and why do u also think i will care what is important to u or not! Gaka oga! if u dont know PLEASE just shut up!!!
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by babaaye(m): 5:32pm On May 06, 2016
Pls how can join military students at AFIT to get commission rank pls any body with
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by diplomat058(m): 1:50pm On May 31, 2016
Where can a B.SC graduate of international relations fit into in the DSSC? Besides, are there special considerations with respect to the grade one passed out with. for instance a first class honours holder in the aforemetioned disciplin. thanks and GOD bless.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by jidekol(m): 9:55am On Jun 26, 2016
Please I studied economics, I have a 2:1, I'm 28 and I entered for DSSC without proper information, Now I want to convert to SSC, I think DSSC will be boring, what can I do?
Is there a bright side of DSSC?

If I'm shortlisted, can I convert?

Anyone help out please, I'm bothered.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Demoscar: 7:34am On Jul 04, 2016
Hello everyone. I studied Insurance and i want to know if it's possible to join the Nigerian Air Force through DSSC. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Nobody: 7:59am On Jul 29, 2016
I'm still an undergraduate(female)studing transport management,thinking of trying the sad after school.
please advise is needed.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Nobody: 8:00am On Jul 29, 2016
I'm still an undergraduate(female)studing transport management,thinking of trying the ssc after school.
please advise is needed.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by eddyroyal(m): 11:20am On Jul 29, 2016
ehissi:
I have seen a lot of mis-information so far reviewing this thread - the bulk of it I deem un-intentional while the rest is just plain comedy - the errors/misinformation are largely based on what is called "The Standard" in a Nigerian military environ.

"The Standard" refers to the terms and conditions of services as well as the bulk of what is contained in the armed forces act of 1990.

There is also a social terminology in military environments called "The General Idea"!

The General Idea is just the actual realities that exists in the military that are a deviation from the standard condition of service but are still covered by the armed forces act in some way!!

An example;

According to the conditions of service, DSSC are deemed non-combatant officers (or professional officers) that are suited for administrative purposes and are not meant for actual warfare - this is The Standard !!

The General Idea is that DSSC Officers and Soldiers undergo the same training, in the first cycle of Recruitment called the BMTC -Basic Military Training Course - which runs for 6months, also the Armed forces act allows ample room for the Chief of any military arm to use personnel for any purpose in the event of a security situation.

Therefore, DSSC officers can be deemed prepared to face combat immediately after they are commissioned (since both they and soldiers do the BMTC and soldiers are deemed combat ready).

They are not only sent into combat, but are also drafted into the Infantry division/corps of the Army as well as the airforce (The airforce call their own infantry wing/corps regiment/air crew).

From experience, people who may fall into this category are usually very tall or buffy/muscular looking in appearance and have an appearance that seems to command attention physically!!!! I know many of such cases mathematician, accountants etc who were guilty of looking too gallant for the office and so they were drafted into infantry immediately - even though they came through DSSC.

Now DSSC training is 6/7 months, for those who are drafted into Infantry/regiment from DSSC, because DSSC does not cover in its entirety infantry/regiment related training they are sent for further training courses - 100% of the time overseas to countries like belarus, israel etc- to help them fit into the Infantry division/corps better!!

But for DSSC officers that are sent to combat, but are members of a corps/department outside the infantry, nothing for them; highest they will be briefed by their new CO's (or officers under the authority of their CO's) or much more experienced officers in there respective units on what is expected from them in the course of combat!!

Another Example;
All officers whether they came in through the RC of the NDA or the DSSC or SSC can attain the rank of a 2-Star general or VSO (Major-general, Air -vice Marshal, Rear Admiral for army, airforce and navy) - this is the standard!!

The General Idea is that DSSC are deemed (no matter the amount of training you want to give them or the corps you put them) not in a position to command troops at an "executive" level - this is by reason of the Armed forces law!!

This why no STF/JTF commander or service chiefs within the individual armed forces like The GOC's, FOC's or the AOC for army navy and airforce will be a DSSC officer - no matter how many training or war you make the DSSC officer fight.

Also the VSO, Very Senior Officer's Ranks (which is from Colonel upwards in army, Captain upwards in Navy, Group captain upwards in Airforce) have limited slot (which usually must be filled with equity and federal character in mind; though this is not always the case).

Also these are usually the recommended ranks approved by the Armed forces council and the respected councils of the individual armed forces for officers to hold who must command troops at certain executive levels as well as for certain strategic appointments!!

Because of the current size and capacity of our military, what usually happens is that you may have 400 people due for the rank of Colonel; 110 are RC, regular commission (either through NDA or SSC) while 290 are from DSSC and the appointment requiring executive command of troop throughout the army at the level of colonel are 60; the ones that don't require this are 20; so how do they promote!!

The DSSC will always get the short end of the stick and it gets tighter at higher ranks like brigadier general and Major general!!

Plus the bulk of the offices at the level
of Major General require executive command of troops; the ones that don't, will be filled by officers who enjoy sympathy of their colleagues and coursemates that went through the NDA - who hold executive appointments within the military - so because of this, the usual last bus-stop of DSSC officers is Brigadier General - and that is with Favour with both men and God!! Usually Lieutenant Colonel and Colonel is the where most DSSC officers are retired!!

The Standard says DSSC can achieve Major-General but the General Idea is that the last bus stop is Brigadier General!!!

This is where people make mistakes about the military; looking at recruitment related documents most times display the standard, the general idea can only be seen on ground! Either by living in an military environment and carefully observing things like military orders at Provost/MP's, asking question amongst friends/family who are personnel or even taking up a casual Job at a military installation or being a personnel yourself!!
The current chief of Air staff passed through DSSC.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by legend93(m): 10:55pm On Aug 22, 2016
Hello all
I'm a Corper, passing out next year
I have a B.Eng in Mechanical engineering
And I want to join the army
I've read the comments and I am still confused can someone clarify the ssc and dssc and how long the initial training is after you are accepted?.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Ayenikingsley7: 9:17pm On Sep 19, 2016
Sorry friends i have an important question to ask if i am 26 and with an hnd or ond can i joing the millitary?

quote author=ehissi post=19752663]

Second lieutenant doesn't exist in the navy, that is the rank attainable by NDA graduates which they will hold for 6months only. And combatants Short service commission which they will hold for 18months. These are the current ranks for each external armed force.

NAVY
Acting Sub-Lieutenant (NDA graduates for just 6months)
Sub-Lieutenant (DSSC graduates rank)
Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Captain (RedNeck badge is added to your collar as a senior naval official)
Commodore (one-star naval general)
Rear-Admiral (two-star naval general)
Vice-Admiral (three-Star naval general and current rank of chief of naval staff and is the highest attainable rank now)
Admiral (4-star naval general but unattainable)
Admiral of Fleet (5-star naval general totally unattainable-this will make you the chief in commander of the naval forces;an office Mr President already holds.)

AIRFORCE
Pilot Officer (NDA graduants rank which they will hold for 6months)
Flying officer (DSSC graduates rank)
Flight Lieutenant
Squadron Leader
Wing Commander
GROUP CAPTAIN (redneck badge added to rank as a senior officer of the airforce)
Air commodore (1-Star airforce general)
Air-Vice Marshal (2-Star airforce general)
Air Marshal (3-Star airforce general and rank of the chief of air staff and is the highest attainable rank)
Air Chief-Marshal (4-star general, unattainable)
Marshal of the Airforce (5-Star general unattainable)

ARMY

2nd Lieutenant (NDA graduants rank which they will hold for 6months, combatants short service will graduate here and hold it for 18months before they can be promoted)
Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lieutenant Colonel
Colonel(Redneck starts here as a senior army officer)
Brigadier General(one star general)
Major General (2-star general)
Lieutenant General (3-star General and is the rank of chief of army staff and is the highest attainable rank; during military regime the 2nd in command I.e. Chief of general staff held this rank while head of state road to full general but no one is allowed to cross here anymore)
General (4-star general)
Field Marshal (5-star general)
[/quote]
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by ehissi(m): 10:39pm On Sep 19, 2016
Yes you can!! But OND will only qualify you for NCO Recruitment - that is Corporal below. Naval soldiers are called ratings and OND qualifies you to be recruited as an Able rating in the navy.

HND qualifies you for DSSC within any if the armed forces (including Navy).

Ayenikingsley7:
Sorry friends i have an important question to ask if i am 26 and with an hnd or ond can i joing the millitary?

quote author=ehissi post=19752663]

Second lieutenant doesn't exist in the navy, that is the rank attainable by NDA graduates which they will hold for 6months only. And combatants Short service commission which they will hold for 18months. These are the current ranks for each external armed force.

NAVY
Acting Sub-Lieutenant (NDA graduates for just 6months)
Sub-Lieutenant (DSSC graduates rank)
Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Captain (RedNeck badge is added to your collar as a senior naval official)
Commodore (one-star naval general)
Rear-Admiral (two-star naval general)
Vice-Admiral (three-Star naval general and current rank of chief of naval staff and is the highest attainable rank now)
Admiral (4-star naval general but unattainable)
Admiral of Fleet (5-star naval general totally unattainable-this will make you the chief in commander of the naval forces;an office Mr President already holds.)

AIRFORCE
Pilot Officer (NDA graduants rank which they will hold for 6months)
Flying officer (DSSC graduates rank)
Flight Lieutenant
Squadron Leader
Wing Commander
GROUP CAPTAIN (redneck badge added to rank as a senior officer of the airforce)
Air commodore (1-Star airforce general)
Air-Vice Marshal (2-Star airforce general)
Air Marshal (3-Star airforce general and rank of the chief of air staff and is the highest attainable rank)
Air Chief-Marshal (4-star general, unattainable)
Marshal of the Airforce (5-Star general unattainable)

ARMY

2nd Lieutenant (NDA graduants rank which they will hold for 6months, combatants short service will graduate here and hold it for 18months before they can be promoted)
Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lieutenant Colonel
Colonel(Redneck starts here as a senior army officer)
Brigadier General(one star general)
Major General (2-star general)
Lieutenant General (3-star General and is the rank of chief of army staff and is the highest attainable rank; during military regime the 2nd in command I.e. Chief of general staff held this rank while head of state road to full general but no one is allowed to cross here anymore)
General (4-star general)
Field Marshal (5-star general)

1 Like

Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Ayenikingsley7: 8:45am On Sep 20, 2016
[If i am 26 and i am hnd holder will it be possible for me to joing the millitary due to age ?

quote author=odumchi post=8757667]I've been wondering, what is the fastest way to rise in rank in the Nigerian Armed Forces? And which Branch of the Military is the most enjoyable, (Army, Airforce, Navy)?

I will appreciate your replies and comments. Thanks.[/quote]
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by eddyroyal(m): 3:27pm On Sep 25, 2016
CaptainGeneral1:
You had beta stop fooling urselves. I have a family friend who was a captain 6years ago, last month he was ranked a Brigadier General. It depends on how connected you are
Omo see lie!!
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Ayenikingsley7: 6:42am On Sep 29, 2016
[quote author=ehissi post=49507814]Yes you can!! But OND will only qualify you for NCO Recruitment - that is Corporal below. Naval soldiers are called ratings and OND qualifies you to be recruited as an Able rating in the navy.

Thanks Bro but i have another question and i am sorry if i am asking too much questions and can i use the HND to join without the DSSC i heared it is too hard to get in through the short service which is known as DSSC and I know the NCO are not commisioned officers and Can i get a direct form with my Hnd ? and what rank will i attain
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by ehissi(m): 7:48am On Sep 29, 2016
[quote author=Ayenikingsley7 post=49761258][/quote]

You can't. HND and Bsc holders cannot join NCO's. Except you want to use you WAEC result and that means that you will start from the lowest rank of soldiers in any of the armed force.......Private/Airman/Ordinary Rating for army/airforce/Navy. Also the age requirements for joining ad an NCO is are lower than that of Dssc (which is to be in your 20's to 35years of age). With WAEC, you must be less than 20yrs.

In your own case, you have an HND - which means you had an OND - it is possible to go in with OND but you will assume the rank of Corporal after training. But the age requirement is still low for Dssc but I think the maximum age is 24 or 26 (not quite sure).

Except you are very very sure of what you are getting yourself into, don't join as an NCO. You may regret it later, when you see people are older than you with HND as commissioned officers.......
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Ayenikingsley7: 8:12pm On Sep 29, 2016
ehissi:
Yes you can!! But OND will only qualify you for NCO Recruitment - that is Corporal below. Naval soldiers are called ratings and OND qualifies you to be recruited as an Able rating in the navy.

thanks brother i appreciate it and i will try the DSSC na waoo this country to serve your country is just something hard and not easy anyway i really appreciate and God Bless you

Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by jelraj(m): 12:55pm On Oct 03, 2016
pls can a graduate of biochemistry..HND go for ssc...
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by alandiara: 11:56am On Oct 15, 2016
can aquaculture and fisheries degree holder apply for NDA short service
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by nwaiwue: 6:34pm On Oct 28, 2016
Please how can i get this form.

1. Applicant's Declaration and Certification by Parent/Guardian form.
2. Local Government Area Certification Form.
3. Police Certification Form.
4. Guarantor Form.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by KONAN201: 5:51pm On Nov 07, 2016
hello, please i would like to inquire, am a resident of traumatology and orthopedics almost done, if i finish and apply for dss course, which rank will i be given if am a medical consultantin any of the arms of navy,army and airforce thanks

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Murphyzino(m): 10:33pm On Nov 19, 2016
pls i av bsc in business administration and NYSC certificate and I'am 22 years old, pls what post will i attain if i apply for either navy, airforce or army, and also the salary system.
Abeg guys help me, am new here
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by mbamaker: 1:58pm On Nov 25, 2016
ehissi:

Oga Ehissi, please do you know anything about joining the Airforce, police, customs, or NDA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Official Results Of Edo Governorship Election 2020 As Announced By INEC / Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures / Igbos Most Industrious, Innovative and Richest Tribe In Africa see proof

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.