Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,899 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? (301293 Views)

Nigerian Army Releases Academic Records Of Buhari / Attention To Rise In Earpiece Related Accidents / Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by ehissi(m): 2:16pm On Nov 25, 2016
mbamaker:

Oga Ehissi, please do you know anything about joining the Airforce, police, customs, or NDA

What exactly do you want to know.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by mbamaker: 12:58pm On Nov 26, 2016
ehissi:

What exactly do you want to know.

I would like what are the academic requirements of each of them, eg for someone with a first degree which one will be the better option, in terms of rank, salary and faster promotion.
Also do they accept someone with just SSCE.
Thanks.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by SQ16(m): 1:43pm On Dec 01, 2016
[quote author=Ayenikingsley7 post=49761258][/quote]

Hello house, pls i need to reprint my application letter and other document but cld find anything of such on the nigerian navy site. Pls anyone with idea on hw i cld reprint shld pls drop a mssg, thnx
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by SQ16(m): 1:44pm On Dec 01, 2016
[color=#990000][/color][quote author=Ayenikingsley7 post=49761258][/quote]

Hello house, pls i need to reprint my application letter and other document but cld find anything of such on the nigerian navy site. Pls anyone with idea on hw i cld reprint shld pls drop a mssg, thnx
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by SQ16(m): 1:46pm On Dec 01, 2016
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by SQ16(m): 1:46pm On Dec 01, 2016
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by siregaxamticks(m): 5:48pm On Dec 01, 2016
SQ16:

Log In With Ur Mail And Password. Dont Refill The Form Just Continue To Click Submit Till The Last Page And U Wi Find Submit And Print.
Make Sure Ur Browser Is Popup Enabled
#navydss C24

Pls Anyone With Navy Past Questions 4free Contact Me. I Need It.
I Also Notice That Most Persons Are Interested Mainly In Money And Respect Other Than National Service.
Military Is Not A Dumping Area. When U Got No Other Option
I Blame The Unemployement Rates In Nigeria Anyway
May God Help Us.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Bellytoff(m): 3:05pm On Jan 21, 2017
PLS I'M HOLDING "HND IN COMPUTER SCIENCE" IF I WANT TO APPLY DSS IN ARMY WHICH RANK WILL I BEGININ WITH AND I HOPE YHEY WILL GRANT IT... PLEASE I NEED ANSWER ON TIME
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by edudguy(m): 3:26pm On Jan 21, 2017
I don't know if I am sure though but from what I have noticed is that those who have a degree tends to be promoted faster than those without a degree... This is my own observation though...

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by nenedima(f): 4:41pm On Jan 21, 2017
By always "staying in war fronts" grin grin
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by aycoded1: 2:20pm On Feb 16, 2017
please, i have an OND and am about to join the army, in service after further my education and later came with a certificate, can i tender it for commissioning and how fast is that going to be? and can i apply for SSC?
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by aycoded1: 2:27pm On Feb 16, 2017
ehissi:

SSC is a Combatant Short Service Commission (formerly known as Short Regular Commission, SRC) that is meant for those interested in field Operations AKA War or peace-keeping or Combat Operations (U assume the rank of second Lieutenant in the army -*- and R usually fielded into fielded into Infantry Corps of the Nigerian army after 9mths - 12mths of training); after 18mths - 2yrs U receive your first promotion to Lieutenant -**- and your subsequent promotions are 4years a rank or as vacancies/slots arise. When U achieve your 6th Year (Usually when U R or awaiting to assume the rank of Captain -***-), U will have the option to retire or convert to Regular commission after a physical exercise; U will receive 2 chances each year to pass this after which at your third fail U will go on compulsory retirement. N.B;- NDA graduates R on Regular Commission by default; This grants them automatic right to hold any appointment anywhere in the armed forces; a right SSC may share if God, age and politics is on your side.

DSSC is Direct Short Service Commission and is meant for professional Officers interested purely in administrative functions of the army (U will assume the rank of Lieutenant -**- after training and will be fielded into any of the Corps where vacancies exist for your discipline after 6-7mths of training). Your First 2 ranks will be achieved after 5years of promotion each. In your 10th year, you will have the option of retiring or convert to Direct Regular Commission which will involve mainly just a medical exam and filling a couple of documents after which U will be deemed converted and subsequent promotion will be achieved on a 4year basis a rank or as vacancy/slots exists N.B;- Direct regular Commission legally can achieve any rank except the APEX rank in each armed forces; In the case of army Lieutenant General. However they cannot hold any Major appointment that demand control of combatant troops, unfortunately most of these appointments R usually assigned to Brigadier or Major Generals (a rank that usually has very limited slots/vacancy for occupancy compared to number of officers qualified to filled them) so most times in the past, DRC don't usually proceed after the rank of Lieutenant Colonel or Colonel - though this trend is fast changing as DRC now achieve the rank of Brigadier General even Major General, thanks to Democracy......

A B. ed can go for DSSC if there is vacancy in the Education Corps only beyond that no hope; a B. ed can go for SSC as what U read doesn't matter everybody will just face Infantry (The Combat land troops department of the army). Education Corps is for teachers and staff of Military school and military institutes, Infantry is war, peacekeeping and training for other combatant troops....

Yes a B.Ed can go for all armed forces but only army has SSC the rest have only DSSC.....

Jets and Crafts/Vessel is exclusively for NDA graduates and not DSSC

Special forces R members of the armed forces trained for specific field OPS (for Now boko Haram & counter insurgency is the core of all Special forces training course menu) Airforce has QRF (Quick response force), Army has CTU (Counter terrorism Unit)..........

Military reserve R meant for Mass recruitment/re-engagement into the armed forces in the event that the armed forces or the Nation is overwhelmed by a foreign or local threat. Retired officers fit the profile, also Civil defence and other paramilitary bodies can be conscripted in the event of a General state of emergency...........

Pistols R meant specifically for commandants/Commanders/Service Chiefs or as occasion demands. Usually the culture is for your Aides to carry arms for U as a very senior officer; a very senior officer or a commander will only agree to carry in the event that his unit is on Military alert (by this time every personnel will be on camouflage only all day of the week instead of switching between other variants of their uniforms)......

Usually for SSC in recent times, 30years is the maximum and 26 is the minimum but if U R younger and have your first degree U will be accepted. DSSC for army and airforce is minimum 26 to 35 maximum but even if U R younger with a first degree U R welcome. Navy insists on maximum of 30yrs and younger with first degree for DSSC.......

Army, Navy, Air force is anyone's choice. Army is a place people R wary of because they have a tradition of promoting at a slower rate than others (though that is changing now), Air force is a place deemed better than army in terms of rate of promotions, though the level of discrimination for appointments against DSSC is far higher than that of army (in the army the man who can do the job and is qualified gets its; airforce they will consider Regular Commission qualified or not before DSSC). Navy is deemed the best in terms of pay and other things; the problem is that its deemed the most difficult to enter...........so U choose as your Spirit leads

oga esissi please, i have an OND and am about to join the army, in service after further my education and later came with a certificate, can i tender it for commissioning and how fast is that going to be? and can i apply for SSC?
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 16, 2017
aljharem3:

shut if u are clueless ok

@op

The best way is to be very proactive in you daily duties. You have to know people in top places. It is advisable to be a tactian than an infartory
he is saying the truth nah. Which is why soon we will divide this country.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by ehissi(m): 8:59pm On Feb 16, 2017
aycoded1:

oga esissi please, i have an OND and am about to join the army, in service after further my education and later came with a certificate, can i tender it for commissioning and how fast is that going to be? and can i apply for SSC?

Chaaaaaaai! Esissi don suffer for ya phone. .. grin

You can definitely join the army with your OND. If you are successful, you will assume the rank of Corporal when you pass out.

But, furthering your education will require that you take permission to go to school; else you may have problems, especially if you are posted in the middle of a Semester.

Plus, if you school without permission from your commander, you may have problems mustering your academic qualifications or updating your academic records within your file.

As for joining DSSC while in the service, yes it is very possible. But it is twice as difficult, plus the lowest number of years I have ever seen anyone spent in the service and join DSSC is 10 years.

Note also, that the number of years you serve as an officer, if you eventually join DSSC within the service will reduce, as they must take account of the number of years within the Service already. What does this mean?

Let's say, you join as a corporal with your OND, and gain a HND or BSc and then spend 12years as an NCO or a soldier before you eventually were successful as a DSSC officer/applicant . Assuming you have 30 years to spend within the service, the 12years you spent as a soldier will be taken into account, meaning you have just 18 years left to serve as an officer.

That's why I usually don't advice people to join as NCO or soldiers, but if you join, bare in mind that it may not be as rosy as you expect. It pays bills, yes.

For me, if you must be an NCO by fire by force - considering the high level of unemployment in town, I recommend the Airforce first, second Navy, Army last.

Airforce is my constituency so permit the bias. Army na complete rugged jungle, compared to airforce which is for gentlemen. Plus the general conditions of service in airforce - rugged as it is to be an NCO - are more bearable as you excel in rank or appointment than the army.

After them, Navy.

By the way, NCO means Non-Commissioned Officer. It just a fancy word they give to soldiers. Sometimes they are called other ranks........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by aycoded1: 10:20am On Feb 17, 2017
ehissi:

You can definitely join the army with your OND. If you are successful, you will assume the rank of Corporal when you pass out.

But, furthering your education will require that you take permission to go to school; else you may have problems, especially if you are posted in the middle of a Semester.

Plus, if you school without permission from your commander, you may have problems mustering your academic qualifications or updating your academic records within your file.

As for joining DSSC while in the service, yes it is very possible. But it is twice as difficult, plus the lowest number of years I have ever seen anyone spent in the service and join DSSC is 10 years.

Note also, that the number of years you serve as an officer, if you eventually join DSSC within the service will reduce, as they must take account of the number of years within the Service already. What does this mean?

Let's say, you join as a corporal with your OND, and gain a HND or BSc and then spend 12years as an NCO or a soldier before you eventually were successful as a DSSC officer/applicant . Assuming you have 30 years to spend within the service, the 12years you spent as a soldier will be taken into account, meaning you have just 18 years left to serve as an officer.

That's why I usually don't advice people to join as NCO or soldiers, but if you join, bare in mind that it may not be as rosy as you expect. It pays bills, yes.

For me, if you must be an NCO by fire by force - considering the high level of unemployment in town, I recommend the Airforce first, second Navy, Army last.

Airforce is my constituency so permit the bias. Army na complete rugged jungle, compared to airforce which is for gentlemen. Plus the general conditions of service in airforce - rugged as it is to be an NCO - are more bearable as you excel in rank or appointment than the army.

After them, Navy.

By the way, NCO means Non-Commissioned Officer. It just a fancy word they give to soldiers. Sometimes they are called other ranks........

Oh my God bro ehissi, God will continue to bless YOU, tnk u very much, am so grateful...
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Getikebusy(m): 9:01pm On Feb 18, 2017
Oga Ehissi. Thank you for the wealth of info posted here. Please I have interest in joining the Nigerian Army Signals division. I am a graduate already and I have interest and speciality in telecomms but I have zero knowledge on how to join that division. Kindly put forward any knowledge you have on this. Thanks
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by ehissi(m): 9:28pm On Feb 18, 2017
Getikebusy:
Oga Ehissi. Thank you for the wealth of info posted here. Please I have interest in joining the Nigerian Army Signals division. I am a graduate already and I have interest and speciality in telecomms but I have zero knowledge on how to join that division. Kindly put forward any knowledge you have on this. Thanks

Well!! I believe where you join isn't really up to you as such. For DSSC, employment is based on vacancies advertised, and adverts is based on qualification. Your job is to apply, if and only if a vacancy is declared that requires your qualification.

Their Job is to decide what Corps you are joined to. If you join and find the need to change, then you can work that within the service - it's not really easy but it has been known to happen.

It's like writing to the Federal government and telling them you want work in the Presidency, when they declared a vacancy in Ministry of Finance........ undecided

If you get a Job, in Ministry of Finance and you want to be transferred to a department in Presidency that's fits your expertise, possible but difficult. ..........The same applies here.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by harley88(m): 11:41pm On Feb 18, 2017
Good evening Sir Ehissi, kindly answer my question please!!
I am in my final year studying Geography in the University and I was wondering what the chances were of me getting into the Nigerian Air force and if the expertise of Geographers are needed in the force?
God's blessings
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by ChukaLucas: 12:34am On Feb 19, 2017
odumchi:

Thats the thing, I do not want to be a bodyguard or an infantryman for that matter. My intention is to rise to a position of command. Is there no way a graduate can quickly obtain a commanding position without attending a military academy? In other countries, graduates are automatically made officers when they enlist.

Yes.. Go to those countries and apply.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by aycoded1: 10:42am On Apr 24, 2017
ehissi:

SSC is a Combatant Short Service Commission (formerly known as Short Regular Commission, SRC) that is meant for those interested in field Operations AKA War or peace-keeping or Combat Operations (U assume the rank of second Lieutenant in the army -*- and R usually fielded into fielded into Infantry Corps of the Nigerian army after 9mths - 12mths of training); after 18mths - 2yrs U receive your first promotion to Lieutenant -**- and your subsequent promotions are 4years a rank or as vacancies/slots arise. When U achieve your 6th Year (Usually when U R or awaiting to assume the rank of Captain -***-), U will have the option to retire or convert to Regular commission after a physical exercise; U will receive 2 chances each year to pass this after which at your third fail U will go on compulsory retirement. N.B;- NDA graduates R on Regular Commission by default; This grants them automatic right to hold any appointment anywhere in the armed forces; a right SSC may share if God, age and politics is on your side.

DSSC is Direct Short Service Commission and is meant for professional Officers interested purely in administrative functions of the army (U will assume the rank of Lieutenant -**- after training and will be fielded into any of the Corps where vacancies exist for your discipline after 6-7mths of training). Your First 2 ranks will be achieved after 5years of promotion each. In your 10th year, you will have the option of retiring or convert to Direct Regular Commission which will involve mainly just a medical exam and filling a couple of documents after which U will be deemed converted and subsequent promotion will be achieved on a 4year basis a rank or as vacancy/slots exists N.B;- Direct regular Commission legally can achieve any rank except the APEX rank in each armed forces; In the case of army Lieutenant General. However they cannot hold any Major appointment that demand control of combatant troops, unfortunately most of these appointments R usually assigned to Brigadier or Major Generals (a rank that usually has very limited slots/vacancy for occupancy compared to number of officers qualified to filled them) so most times in the past, DRC don't usually proceed after the rank of Lieutenant Colonel or Colonel - though this trend is fast changing as DRC now achieve the rank of Brigadier General even Major General, thanks to Democracy......

A B. ed can go for DSSC if there is vacancy in the Education Corps only beyond that no hope; a B. ed can go for SSC as what U read doesn't matter everybody will just face Infantry (The Combat land troops department of the army). Education Corps is for teachers and staff of Military school and military institutes, Infantry is war, peacekeeping and training for other combatant troops....

Yes a B.Ed can go for all armed forces but only army has SSC the rest have only DSSC.....

Special forces R members of the armed forces trained for specific field OPS (for Now boko Haram & counter insurgency is the core of all Special forces training course menu) Airforce has QRF (Quick response force), Army has CTU (Counter terrorism Unit)..........

Military reserve R meant for Mass recruitment/re-engagement into the armed forces in the event that the armed forces or the Nation is overwhelmed by a foreign or local threat. Retired officers fit the profile, also Civil defence and other paramilitary bodies can be conscripted in the event of a General state of emergency...........

Pistols R meant specifically for commandants/Commanders/Service Chiefs or as occasion demands. Usually the culture is for your Aides to carry arms for U as a very senior officer; a very senior officer or a commander will only agree to carry in the event that his unit is on Military alert (by this time every personnel will be on camouflage only all day of the week instead of switching between other variants of their uniforms)......

Usually for SSC in recent times, 30years is the maximum and 26 is the minimum but if U R younger and have your first degree U will be accepted. DSSC for army and airforce is minimum 26 to 35 maximum but even if U R younger with a first degree U R welcome. Navy insists on maximum of 30yrs and younger with first degree for DSSC.......

Army, Navy, Air force is anyone's choice. Army is a place people R wary of because they have a tradition of promoting at a slower rate than others (though that is changing now), Air force is a place deemed better than army in terms of rate of promotions, though the level of discrimination for appointments against DSSC is far higher than that of army (in the army the man who can do the job and is qualified gets its; airforce they will consider Regular Commission qualified or not before DSSC). Navy is deemed the best in terms of pay and other things; the problem is that its deemed the most difficult to enter...........so U choose as your Spirit leads

please boss? is the combination of trade test in plumbing and OND in accountancy acceptable to join the army as a NCO? and please do you have the idea of what is causing the delay of 76RRI?
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by aycoded1: 10:54am On Apr 24, 2017
ehissi:

please boss? is the combination of trade test in plumbing and OND in accountancy acceptable to join the army as a NCO? and please do you have the idea of what is causing the delay of 76RRI?
aycoded1:

Oh my God bro ehissi, God will continue to bless YOU, tnk u very much, am so grateful...
ehissi:

After them, Navy.

Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by olamishow(m): 11:55am On Apr 24, 2017
Ascentech Services Ltd acts as a gateway to provide a wide range of recruitment and selection services to companies.We are a dedicated team of professional consultants offering top of the line executive recruitment and selection services.

We are urgently looking for Marketing Executive our client.

Job description

Qualification: MBA
Salary: N80,000 – 100,000
Company Car will provided.
Experience: 5 - 10 yrs. (Experience in handling corporate Customers).
Only males
Good oral communication skill
Good Microsoft office skills
Smart, Intelligent, Articulate
High Integrity
Good personality skills for marketing support
Want to maintain & follow up existing customers.

Location: 5km after redeem camp ibadan expressway,ogun state.

Interest and Qualify candidate should send his cv to shola@ascentech.com.ng.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by olamishow(m): 11:59am On Apr 24, 2017
Ascentech Services Ltd acts as a gateway to provide a wide range of recruitment and selection services to companies.We are a dedicated team of professional consultants offering top of the line executive recruitment and selection services.

We are urgently looking for DEVICES AND SIM MANAGER our client.

Job Description:
The device manager role is to identify new LTE devices, accessories, SIM cards etc. Person should handle the end-to-end features verification by ensuring interoperability (IOT) with device manager. Key deliverable is to ensure abundant device options with company based on organization dynamic requirement.

Responsibilities:
• Exposure on sourcing LTE devices such as smartphone, Modems, MiFi, SIM cards.
• Vendor evaluation: Terminals feature and field testing
• LTE devices interoperability testing (IOT), VoIP softphone IOT test
• Device customization and inventory management.
• Assistance to device technical team for trouble-shooting, new
• Testing of new firmware versions and upgrade through device manager/OTA
• Daily testing and monitoring to identify fraudulent activities such as unauthorized VPN access, hacking of Wi-Fi and PLMN, MAC cloning and device firmware flash etc.
• Daily testing and repairs of faulty devices
• Device Manager (TR069, OMA-DM) Administration.
• USIM testing and configuration parameters for ICCID, IMSI, KI, OPC, configuration.
• Liaising with USIM vendor for proper configuration of user authentication.
• Finalize technical specification with OEM and manage vendor contracts related to device and SIM
• Develop and implement processes and procedures
• Facilitate cross-team collaboration with technical, Sales, marketing and supply chain departments

Reporting Supervisor:
• Reports to both CTO & Commercial Head.

Qualification and Expertise Requirements:

• Engineering degree in IT/Computer Science/Electrical/Electronics/ Telecommunications.
• At least 3 years work experience with Tier-1 operator in sourcing device.
• At least 8 years of experience in telecommunication industry
• Excellent communication and team management skills.
• Experience on LTE technology and knowledge on LTE protocols will be an added advantage.

Key Skills:

• Terminals procurement, Testing, IOT, Device manager.
• Knowledge of protocol stacks such as 3GPP, TR069, OMA-DM, OTA.
• Excellent communication and team management skills.

Interest and Qualify candidate should send his cv to shola@ascentech.com.ng
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by ChimaAdeoye: 12:00pm On Apr 24, 2017
Plan and execute coups like Buhari.
You will become Head of state without becoming COAS.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Bigdigpussylova(m): 12:09pm On Apr 24, 2017
odumchi:
I've been wondering, what is the fastest way to rise in rank in the Nigerian Armed Forces? And which Branch of the Military is the most enjoyable, (Army, Airforce, Navy)?

I will appreciate your replies and comments. Thanks.

do u really want to know?

the simple truth. . .

there is no fastest way to rise in rank. u have to grow with ur mates. even in certain instances, when u're promoted for gallantry, u would only have the privilege of wearing the rank before your mates. ultimately, u will mark-time for ur mates to wear the rank too and the seniority auto-adjusts itself. u won't be ur mates senior! Leme explain further.

1. The promotion from 2nd Lt to Lt is automatic. u don't have to write exams, no appraisals required. . . u just have to avoid committing an offence.

2. Lt to Capt. one must pass promotion exams to be promoted with ones mates.

3. Capt to Maj. one must pass promotion exams. one must have attended the junior staff course with a minimum pass mark of C grade. additionally, one must also pass the senior staff course qualifying exams.

4. Maj to Lt Col. one must have attended the senior staff course and pass with a minimum of C grade.

5. Lt Col to Col. at present, one is not required to write any exams or attend any staff course. appraisals are usually adequate to promote one.

6. Col to Brig Gen. one must have attended the National Defence College or its equivalent to be qualified to be promoted to the next rank. at this stage political considerations like quota system, vacancies of offices (depending on ur specialization or corps) etc are critical considerations.

7. Brig Gen to Maj Gen. No exams or staff courses required. just appraisals and political considerations like as mentioned in para 6 above.

8. Maj Gen to Lt Gen. at present, this rank is given to the 3 service chiefs by the president. u don't have to do anything. u just have to be appointed by the president.

9. Lt Gen to Gen. at present, this rank is given to only the chief of defence staff. u don't have to do anything. the president just have to appoint u.

this is just a simplified careers growth pattern and requirements in the Nigerian Armed Forces. it applies to Army, Navy and Air Force; though minor differences exist.

Courtesy: above is courtesy of a very good friend in the military.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Irvn: 9:45pm On Nov 07, 2017
Can you be pardoned for flat foot in ssc for army
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by DonBobes(m): 10:01pm On Nov 07, 2017
odumchi:

Thats the thing, I do not want to be a bodyguard or an infantryman for that matter. My intention is to rise to a position of command. Is there no way a graduate can quickly obtain a commanding position without attending a military academy? In other countries, graduates are automatically made officers when they enlist.

I initially wanted to neglect ur post but dis 1 taya me: u want to eat ur cake and have it. U need to sit n think well because u......m bereft of words
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 07, 2017
EzeUche:
If you know people and you are a Northerner.
grin grin
1. You are a core Northerner.
2. You know other Northerners in high places.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by peterphd(m): 8:40am On Nov 08, 2017
coolchimex:
There are several ways of being a commissioned officer in the Armed Forces:
1. NDA Cadetship (Regular Combatant Commission).

2. Short Service Commission (for Graduates, u hv 2 convert to Regular Combatant Commission in 4 - 8 yrs or u r retired).

3. Direct Short Service Commission (for Specialist Graduates eg Doctors, Lawyers, Nurses etc, u also hv 2 convert in 4 - 8 yrs to Direct Regular Commission or u r retired).

4. Executive Commission (for Sgts and above in the other rank cadre who have served for 12 yrs+, acquired experience and attended their career courses).

Sir, getting to the top is PARTLY by knowing people, passing yr career courses WELL, d content of yr military records and hardwork. Added to this is yr performance in the execution of tasks and intelligence. The mil is not 4 evry1 (bcse of d nature of d job), Quota system starts affecting from d rank of Colonel upwards; reason why some do not go beyond that rank. Quota System is d equal representation of Senior Offrs in rank and appts fm d geopolitical zones; Odum, U seem intrsted, go 4 it and if u encounter stress just know dt such is normal. It makes u stronger (TRUELY). Gd Luck. Ignore some of the senseless inputs fm people who don't know Jack abt d military.

Point 2, how do you convert to regular?
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by AUgucci: 10:01am On Nov 26, 2017
ehissi:

This has never happened in the History of Nigeria's Military!!
2nd Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Captain. <-------------
Major
Lieutenant Colonel
Colonel
Brigadier General. <-------------
Major General
Lieutenant General
General

Looking at how many ranks you have to jump to achieve this, not counting courses U would have to do Junoir div, senior div, professional corps courses!! Haba!! It will cause unnecessary rancour; no one will want that. Even if a service Chief did that, the next incoming chief will reverse it (Don't believe me, ask Nuhu ribadu who jumped just one rank what happened to him later)

That kind of jump can only happened from Colonel Upwards (where U can be considered for promotion just after 6mths or 9mths or a year on a rank) below that rank; it is usually impossible for such a jump to happen...........
when a DCCS personnel is admitted into the Nigerian navy as an engineer or a doctor,does this means they won't be allow to go to war,to have a gun, to use a gun in war, or to even engaged in any combat or any combat training. And yes what's the big difference between an NDA admitted or a Degree personnel admitted. And is there any limit to the rank a DCCS can attain compare to the NDA ... Pls try and thing of what am trying to ask and make me understand... And does it mean that the best and Almighty way to apply for the Navy or any military is through the NDA,...
And does it mean that to be in the Navy. You have to be good swimmer. Am curious about all this.
Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by ehissi(m): 3:42pm On Nov 26, 2017
AUgucci:
when a DCCS personnel is admitted into the Nigerian navy as an engineer or a doctor,does this means they won't be allow to go to war,to have a gun, to use a gun in war, or to even engaged in any combat or any combat training. And yes what's the big difference between an NDA admitted or a Degree personnel admitted. And is there any limit to the rank a DCCS can attain compare to the NDA ... Pls try and thing of what am trying to ask and make me understand... And does it mean that the best and Almighty way to apply for the Navy or any military is through the NDA,...
And does it mean that to be in the Navy. You have to be good swimmer. Am curious about all this.

The answer to your first question is no.

But there is something I use to tell people. There is something we call "The Standard" and the "The General Idea".

The Standard is what is contained Majorly in the Armed forces Act as well other legal books. The General idea is whatever is necessary to get the Job done par-time which typically involves bending the rules.

E.g. DSSC are not really seen as Combat ready troops, according to the standard. The are strictly meant for administrative work.

However, since the course regimen for both DSSC and Airmen - that is Airforce soldiers - is the 6months BMTC, Basic Military Training Course. And also the Armed forces act gives the Service chief - be they chief of Army, Navy, airforce or defence staff - right to utilize any officer in any capacity in the event of an emergency, DSSC officers are sent to war.

So in the end, its the service chief that decides. When Umar was CAS - Chief of Air staff, he was celebrated as one of the best in terms of welfare, charisma and performance as well as morale, especially when working with airmen and women.

However rumour has it that his working relationship with the Airmen and women - particularly the women - was too cordial, fuelling rumours that he may secretly dated some. A rumour that was further fuelled when he stopped women in the Airforce from performing rifle duty and all manner of duties requiring arms.

But when Badeh came back, he scrapped that and even sent women to Sambisa forest without thinking. So, yes, you may be sent to war but its not always the case. They are DSSC officers that will never fire a rifle after BMTC training till they retire, other may but it all depends on where order carry you go.

NDA graduates spend 4 years in NDA and graduate as Regular commission officers, Graduates for the DSSC still go through NDA but are trained for 6months and are eventually converted to Direct Regular Commission. NDA is meant for teenagers with WAEC, DSSC is meant for graduates.

The highest rank a DSSC graduate can attain is Major General, Air Vice - Marshall, Rear Admiral, according to the Standard. This means that a DSSC officer cannot be a service chief, but the general idea is that The Chief-in-Commander of the armed forces appoints Service Chiefs, so today DSSC officer is the Chief of Air staff.....

Basic swimming skills for navy should be enough, you will receive further drilling when you get there.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 23, 2017
purest21:
Navy does not commission officers through short service. You have to apply through DSSC only if they list your course of study on the particular year's requirement. When successfully commissioned, you will resume at the rank of a sub-Lieutenant
i applied for DSSC 25 with a Masters in Architecture and I'm an associate member of The Nigerian Institute of Architects, will i be given the rank of a Sub lieutenant or lieutenant because of my Masters?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Official Results Of Edo Governorship Election 2020 As Announced By INEC / Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures / Igbos Most Industrious, Innovative and Richest Tribe In Africa see proof

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.