Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,770 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? (2015 Views)

Effective Methods To Grasp JAVASCRIPT Easily. / Joined Udemy On January: Checkout How Many Courses I Have On My Account / After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Naijatask: 6:02pm On Jun 15, 2022
Good day everyone. It's just as the question says.

How many courses did it take you to learn/grasp JavaScript?

As for me, it took a whole year and 3 courses before i grasp the logic behind the language.

The first course I took was an es5 course by Laurence turton (a free course).

I never even took any HTML and CSS courses when I took Turton's course.

So, I can't really recall learning from the course, but I can remember completing the course as the last project was a typing speed test (the course was very basic so no http request or any of the advanced stuffs).

Then the second course I took was a course by the best Udemy teacher I've met. I'm talking about Jonas schmedtmann here grin.

I purchased the course for 4,670naira on Udemy (it was during a discount period. So, it was $9).

I was on IT when I purchased the course. So, it took me 6 months to complete. And when school resumed? I forgot almost everything I learned from the course since I was focused on my studies.

After my first semester, the current ASUU strike happened and I decided to revisit the course. This time around, it took me 3 months the complete the course.

Then I went ahead to still take another JavaScript course by net ninja.

Immediately after that, I started the advanced css and sass course by Jonas schmedtmann (big mistake).

Now, I'm almost half way into the course, and it seems like I can't even write a proper function in JavaScript (obviously, because I didn't practice more projects).

Anyway, I'll just move on to building projects with JavaScript once I'm done with the sass course.

And so, how many courses or resources did you go through in order to finally click with JavaScript? smiley smiley smiley
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by jbreezy: 6:19pm On Jun 15, 2022
3 textbooks...and a youtube video...11 mini projects...5 months let's say...But unfortunately, you never stop learning javascript..It's a very wide language

7 Likes

Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 15, 2022
Naijatask:

As for me, it took a whole year and 3 courses before i grasp the logic behind the language.

So, I can't really recall learning from the course, but I can remember completing the course as the last project was a typing speed test (the course was very basic so no http request or any of the advanced stuffs).

Then the second course I took was a course by the best Udemy teacher I've met. I'm talking about Jonas schmedtmann here grin.

I purchased the course for 4,670naira on Udemy (it was during a discount period. So, it was $9).

I was on IT when I purchased the course. So, it took me 6 months to complete. And when school resumed? I forgot almost everything I learned from the course since I was focused on my studies.

After my first semester, the current ASUU strike happened and I decided to revisit the course. This time around, it took me 3 months the complete the course.

Immediately after that, I started the advanced css and sass course by Jonas schmedtmann (big mistake).

Now, I'm almost half way into the course, and it seems like I can't even write a proper function in JavaScript (obviously, because I didn't practice more projects).

Anyway, I'll just move on to building projects with JavaScript once I'm done with the sass course.

And so, how many courses or resources did you go through in order to finally click with JavaScript? smiley smiley smiley
I'd say about 6 months of on and offs cos of school, rn I'm testing my skills by building a JS game, it's not easy

1 Like

Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jun 15, 2022
Best way to master any language not JavaScript in particular is to practice each step you learn with a project no matter how small.

If you watch just the tutorial video and then skip to next and then to next... What you learn may fade within a week because you never internalized it in your brain.

But if you learn a topic then give your self a mini project in that topic... Somehow your brain stores that in special place.... If the project you gave yourself you were able to complete it without outside help then it shows you've understand that topic and only then should you move to the next.

With programming it's not about how fast you can complete a tutorial.... But how much you can understand the tutorial you've taken.

Practice more and watch less.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:36pm On Jun 15, 2022
Men I still haven't grabbed JavaScript till now and I have been at it two years.

3 Likes

Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by abostg(m): 6:40pm On Jun 15, 2022
1 Your knowledge in JavaScript is not based on the number of courses you have taken.

2 if you don't take the right and organized approach then you will always have a disorganized knowledge that will always leave you empty whenever you want to start creating something meaningful

3 There are certain fundamental JavaScript concepts you must master.

4 For you to master these concept you must first understand JavaScript basics (this is your foundation).

5 And you may find yourself helplessly struggling with these basics if you don't get yourself a physical tutor

2 Likes

Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by jbreezy: 6:56pm On Jun 15, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Men I still haven't grabbed JavaScript till now and I have been at it two years.
The thing taya person. You just keep on learning and learning.
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Naijatask: 7:33pm On Jun 15, 2022
jbreezy:
3 textbooks...and a youtube video...11 mini projects...5 months let's say...But unfortunately, you never stop learning javascript..It's a very wide language

I agree there's no end to learning JavaScript compared to CSS, which is not a programming language
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Naijatask: 7:34pm On Jun 15, 2022
Think4Myself:

I'd say about 6 months of on and offs cos of school, rn I'm testing my skills by building a JS game, it's not easy

Nice one
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Naijatask: 7:35pm On Jun 15, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
Best way to master any language not JavaScript in particular is to practice each step you learn with a project no matter how small.

If you watch just the tutorial video and then skip to next and then to next... What you learn may fade within a week because you never internalized it in your brain.

But if you learn a topic then give your self a mini project in that topic... Somehow your brain stores that in special place.... If the project you gave yourself you were able to complete it without outside help then it shows you've understand that topic and only then should you move to the next.

With programming it's not about how fast you can complete a tutorial.... But how much you can understand the tutorial you've taken.

Practice more and watch less.

Thank you for the tips
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Naijatask: 7:36pm On Jun 15, 2022
abostg:
1 Your knowledge in JavaScript is not based on the number of courses you have taken.

2 if you don't take the right and organized approach then you will always have a disorganized knowledge that will always leave you empty whenever you want to start creating something meaningful

3 There are certain fundamental JavaScript concepts you must master.

4 For you to master these concept you must first understand JavaScript basics (this is your foundation).

5 And you may find yourself helplessly struggling with these basics if you don't get yourself a physical tutor

Thank you, but I already have the basics down already
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Naijatask: 7:37pm On Jun 15, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Wow this is a new discovery coming from the boss himself cheesy cheesy cheesy.

Thank you for your input boss
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by jesmond3945: 7:44pm On Jun 15, 2022
Naijatask:

The problem with learning courses is that they present so many different ways of doing the same thing that you get lost in the process. For example they would present different ways of splitting a string that you get confused. So i would say have one standard way you can split a string you understand and know. When you do these courses just learn the step to solve or build anything and then use the methods you understand and know to do the job.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by jesmond3945: 7:49pm On Jun 15, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
don't even bother. You are not the inventor of the programme. You already have a job with the ones you know. Thats enough.

1 Like

Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by peterincredible: 8:49pm On Jun 15, 2022
For me it took a year for me to get really really comfortable with it, your cant learn it all but you can quickly get comfortable with it go slow use like one year to learn it and no rushing

1 Like

Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Naijatask: 9:22pm On Jun 15, 2022
peterincredible:
For me it took a year for me to get really really comfortable with it, your cant learn it all but you can quickly get comfortable with it go slow use like one year to learn it and no rushing

Thank you
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by lordally(m): 9:27pm On Jun 15, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Na all these kind replies dey make me tire grin honestly

3 Likes

Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Sheriman(m): 10:25pm On Jun 15, 2022
Although, for me I don't write JavaScript I only write Kotlin for Android development and I must say this is my 2nd year of learning it. Sincerely speaking, this is actual year I can boastfully say I am now getting started to fully understand the basics of the language. The journey is really rough and tough. All thanks to Google technical writers and JetBrain documentation PDF on Kotlin really help me a lot. There are bunch of Kotlin exercises I always practice and read everyday on my phone or laptop.
E no easy my brother!! It consume much time and requires your total seriousness.
Learning how to write good code is really a mental stressed manual brain labour. That is just the fact!!
You don't need to rush learning it. I stopped watching YouTube videos when I realized I don't understand it but since I discover the official documentation, I stick with the official documentation of the language, I pick up one or two excercise per day to practice, I make sure that i don't move to the next one until I understand it.
This how to learn and understand any programming language.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by fastanddubious(m): 11:00pm On Jun 15, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Please sir can we chat privately?
I need your advice on something important
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:43pm On Jun 15, 2022
fastanddubious:

Please sir can we chat privately?
I need your advice on something important

Send me a DM
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Naijatask: 12:52am On Jun 16, 2022
Sheriman:
Although, for me I don't write JavaScript I only write Kotlin for Android development and I must say this is my 2nd year of learning it. Sincerely speaking, this is actual year I can boastfully say I am now getting started to fully understand the basics of the language. The journey is really rough and tough. All thanks to Google technical writers and JetBrain documentation PDF on Kotlin really help me a lot. There are bunch of Kotlin exercises I always practice and read everyday on my phone or laptop.
E no easy my brother!! It consume much time and requires your total seriousness.
Learning how to write good code is really a mental stressed manual brain labour. That is just the fact!!
You don't need to rush learning it. I stopped watching YouTube videos when I realized I don't understand it but since I discover the official documentation, I stick with the official documentation of the language, I pick up one or two excercise per day to practice, I make sure that i don't move to the next one until I understand it.
This how to learn and understand any programming language.

Thank you for the tips
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Privatejet: 1:00am On Jun 16, 2022
Naijatask:

Hello boss can you pls help me with this Jonas course vid. Will really appreciate if you can help me with it

1 Like

Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Naijatask: 1:10am On Jun 16, 2022
Privatejet:

Hello boss can you pls help me with this Jonas course vid. Will really appreciate if you can help me with it

Sure, send me a mail and I'll give you my Udemy details
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Privatejet: 1:41am On Jun 16, 2022
Naijatask:

Sure, send me a mail and I'll give you my Udemy details

Thanks so much boss. Really appreciate
Tried emailing u but it’s not working. Is it possible to chat you up on WhatsApp?
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by fastanddubious(m): 6:22am On Jun 16, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Send me a DM
I don't know how to do that on nairaland
It says to send an email
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:01am On Jun 16, 2022
One will keep learning JavaScript because when it comes to implementation you have to google some methods or an unfamiliar error message even if you're the founder of the language.

I recommend "JavaScript understanding the weird parts"as the follow up of any course. It's is on YouTube and Udemy.

I still visit that course when I'm chanced.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Nobody: 8:42am On Jun 16, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

chai, just started 3 weeks ago..not that good at it, but i have definelty learnt things.
project is next
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by abostg(m): 9:05am On Jun 16, 2022
Naijatask:

Thank you, but I already have the basics down already

Then start a project and discover a lot for yourself
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Naijatask: 1:18pm On Jun 16, 2022
Privatejet:

Thanks so much boss. Really appreciate
Tried emailing u but it’s not working. Is it possible to chat you up on WhatsApp?

Sure mahn
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Ovo200: 1:19pm On Jun 16, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Which language do you code with?
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:50pm On Jun 16, 2022
Ovo200:

Which language do you code with?

Javascript and PHP mostly.
Re: How Many Courses Did It Take You To Learn/grasp Javascript? by Ovo200: 7:35pm On Jun 16, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Javascript and PHP mostly.

Oooh ok
On a scale of 1-10 hw good are you with JavaScript?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Possible For Someone To Learn Python Without The Knowledge Of Html? / A Must Read: Interview With Seun Osewa (owner Of Nairaland) / I Need A Php Script/source Code For A Bidding Website!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.