Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,605 members, 7,823,633 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? (40079 Views)

Promise Me You Will Come Back - Nigerian Lady Cries At The Airport / Two Men cling To A Moving Car In Order To Settle An Issue in Lagos (Pix, Video) / Hours After Relocating To Ireland, Engineer Vows Never To Come Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:33pm On Jun 21, 2022
IbeOkehie:

Really? Granted there's always unforeseen circumstances but most middle class workers in the USA who take BASIC steps to plan their retirement can maintain a good lifestyle on Social Security.

I know and have experienced enough about Nigeria AND the USA. All considered, the USA is a better place for retirement. It takes a little bit of planning though....just a little bit, nothing major. That includes living a healthy life, there's large scale, long duration studies that show the kind of lifestyle choices that are most likely to keep one living a reasonably independent life even at 80, 90 years old.

Many rich people in their 50s are now leaving Nigeria to live in the USA. From what I see it seems they started putting things in place 10 to 20 years ago. Maybe they knew something

When I read all these claims about how the USA is a terrible place to live...I have to wonder if it's the same country I've been living in for over 30 years. Maybe I'm dreaming...

The claims are usually made by those who have never stepped foot in this country. I don’t know of any elderly people here in the US that live on only $1,000 a month.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by erico2k2(m): 9:34pm On Jun 21, 2022
Charly68:

They have family which may be extended
like seriously?
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by EgunMogaji2: 2:47am On Jun 24, 2022
Juoflife1:
We have health insurance in Nigeria. Axa Mansard Gold Plan is not up to 200k in a year, and it gives you access to good hospitals. I don't know about other parts of Nigeria but AXA is popular in port-harcourt. Healthcare is not a problem in my opinion.

Yeah, we have excellent medical care available in Nigeria. The issue is affordability which won’t be a problem for a returnee retiree. At worst case scenario Ghana is a short flight away for annual physicals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by EgunMogaji2: 2:51am On Jun 24, 2022
IbeOkehie:

Really? Granted there's always unforeseen circumstances but most middle class workers in the USA who take BASIC steps to plan their retirement can maintain a good lifestyle on Social Security.

I know and have experienced enough about Nigeria AND the USA. All considered, the USA is a better place for retirement. It takes a little bit of planning though....just a little bit, nothing major. That includes living a healthy life, there's large scale, long duration studies that show the kind of lifestyle choices that are most likely to keep one living a reasonably independent life even at 80, 90 years old.

Many rich people in their 50s are now leaving Nigeria to live in the USA. From what I see it seems they started putting things in place 10 to 20 years ago. Maybe they knew something

When I read all these claims about how the USA is a terrible place to live...I have to wonder if it's the same country I've been living in for over 30 years. Maybe I'm dreaming...

Many Americans are retiring to Mexico, South America and Asia. In fact some countries in Asia have created a special retiree visa.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by IbeOkehie: 4:24pm On Jun 26, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Many Americans are retiring to Mexico, South America and Asia. In fact some countries in Asia have created a special retiree visa.

Well the question was in regards to NIGERIA, not Mexico or anywhere else.

And then there's the question of proportion. How many citizens of the USA actually retire to foreign countries? I bet you it's a small percentage. You can even find Americans who will retire to Afghanistan or Somalia, but HOW MANY, you will always find SOME PEOPLE who will do ANYTHING you can think of.

The USA is a much better place to retire than Nigeria. For that reason you will find that only a small minority of Nigerian-Americans ACTUALLY retire in Nigeria.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by EgunMogaji2: 4:52pm On Jun 26, 2022
IbeOkehie:

Well the question was in regards to NIGERIA, not Mexico or anywhere else.

And then there's the question of proportion. How many citizens of the USA actually retire to foreign countries? I bet you it's a small percentage. You can even find Americans who will retire to Afghanistan or Somalia, but HOW MANY, you will always find SOME PEOPLE who will do ANYTHING you can think of.

The USA is a much better place to retire than Nigeria. For that reason you will find that only a small minority of Nigerian-Americans ACTUALLY retire in Nigeria.

Thanks.

I responded, sadly now, to your post quoted below where you specifically referenced the USA.

IbeOkehie:

I won't make the same mistake again.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by dasparrow: 5:45pm On Jun 26, 2022
koyyess:
Even in the zoo, most retired men and women go back to their state of origin to settle. Before retirement, some are already building their houses in their home town or their state capital.

Na bad economy and huzzle fever dey make people migrate.

If all the states in nizooria were developed, very few people will migrate. Use the US citizens as an example...dem dey migrate? Highest they go on vacation and return.

@Bolded
See video below. A lot of Americans are now fleeing America. Many are headed to South and Central America. Some to Asia and some to Africa. Just because the mainstream media keeps it on a hush-hush does not mean they are not migrating. I live in a country in the Americas were U.S Americans keep moving too and as such causing the cost of living to go up here angry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8UZiY-qh8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEh0Q94Gjss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnuMAF0SaL0

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by dasparrow: 5:48pm On Jun 26, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Precisely!
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by MechanicMike: 5:20pm On Apr 17, 2023
watchwoman:

You have said it all, I am in Yankee currently and asides from hustle, the loneliness is not for the fainthearted at all.

So are u sayin u don't hav yansh? angry
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Kenn55: 8:24pm On Apr 17, 2023
The major reason is that most people in that category start thinking and preparing about where they would be buried in the event of death.
Most Nigerians especially the more traditionally inclined ones don't want to die abroad.
So if after 40 to 50 years of residing abroad for example, you have enjoyed the system, the uninterrupted electricity, the good roads, the health care etc. Your children are well settled and now you are above 70 years and retired, the question is what else do you have to do abroad?
Knowing that at that age for instance, you are living the last stages of your life, if you don't want to be die abroad and give your children too much stress of moving your body back to Nigeria and you don't want to be buried in a foreign land, then the best option is to go back to Nigeria and spend the remaining part of your life.
Traditionally speaking, people want to go and return to their father land and not go and die in foreign land.
It happens in Nigeria too. For people who are not Lagos indigenes for example, they tend to leave their children in Lagos and retire to their village at old age. It is the same thinking.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by hodari: 12:55pm On Apr 18, 2023
Even white Americans don't want to retire in the USA lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ1rcifeFyI

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan / Sewage Truck Falls In Asaba (Photos) / Lagos New BRT Buses: Analyzing The Facts And Figures - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.