Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? (40073 Views)

Promise Me You Will Come Back - Nigerian Lady Cries At The Airport / Two Men cling To A Moving Car In Order To Settle An Issue in Lagos (Pix, Video) / Hours After Relocating To Ireland, Engineer Vows Never To Come Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by integritan(m): 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
The US is better. Americans are nosy and friendly.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by 4richminds(m): 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
Home is Home... Even Joseph was buried in his home.
Mode4:
I have been thinking why the few peeps I know including some of my distant uncles who spent most of their years abroad came back to Nigeria to live when they became old. Is there something awkward about growing old overseas?

Even my sister in the US, has been telling me that once she gets old, she will come back to Nigeria to spend the remainder of her life. Folks abroad, what's really going on? Is there a harsh reality for the aged over there?
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by babadee1(m): 6:04pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:
I have been thinking why the few peeps I know including some of my distant uncles who spent most of their years abroad came back to Nigeria to live when they became old. Is there something awkward about growing old overseas?

Even my sister in the US, has been telling me that once she gets old, she will come back to Nigeria to spend the remainder of her life. Folks abroad, what's really going on? Is there a harsh reality for the aged over there?

Because it's very difficult and expensive to relocate a dead body. Perhaps they prefer to be buried in their fatherland after they die.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jun 20, 2022
Coz home is the best
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Svoboda(m): 6:04pm On Jun 20, 2022
The worst place to live as an old person is in the west. You'd be consigned to an old people's home and then die of loneliness.

15 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Missy89(f): 6:04pm On Jun 20, 2022
Retirement is cheaper in Nigeria. If you already have a house and you are getting your monthly social security checks.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by damiloladuke: 6:04pm On Jun 20, 2022
Where them for go before
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by doggedfighter(f): 6:06pm On Jun 20, 2022
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by AngelicBeing: 6:06pm On Jun 20, 2022
sad
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:07pm On Jun 20, 2022
No one that I know has plans on returning to Nigeria after retirement. My elders visit but soon return back home to the US. It’s too dangerous in Nigeria for returnees.

11 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by HEBEI: 6:07pm On Jun 20, 2022
It's because there is no place like HOME shocked
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Le2money(m): 6:08pm On Jun 20, 2022
Because "Ile Ni Abo Isimi Oko" grin grin

Mode4:

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by ImoleNaija: 6:09pm On Jun 20, 2022
"Because they see Naija (their home) as a cemetry", said someone.

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by WeLive: 6:09pm On Jun 20, 2022
Apus:
You won't understand.

Abroad is good for hustle and enjoying basic amenities we lack here. Asides this, there is this feeling of emptiness or something missing each time you remember home.
When I was away I was even more current about latest happenings in Naija than those at home so as to feel connected.

And it can be lonely abroad at old age. Even your 'families' there will be very busy with work or their own families.
Also, most people prefer being buried in their home country (especially if they spent their early years in Nigeria).
The cost and protocols involved in bringing corpse from abroad is what you wouldn't want to go through, honestly

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Le2money(m): 6:09pm On Jun 20, 2022
Very True

Svoboda:
The worst place to live as an old person is in the west. You'd be consigned to an old people's home and then die of loneliness.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by jesmond3945: 6:10pm On Jun 20, 2022
Because they have enjoyed the system in abroad and nothing else remains for them. So they come back to rest and enjoy the community in africa. Also, some people have toiled and have no investment in Africa. This is because they tioled and have nothing to show. So when they come back they hide so that their peers would not see them.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by ststarring: 6:10pm On Jun 20, 2022
So as to die here
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by koyyess: 6:10pm On Jun 20, 2022
Even in the zoo, most retired men and women go back to their state of origin to settle. Before retirement, some are already building their houses in their home town or their state capital.

Na bad economy and huzzle fever dey make people migrate.

If all the states in nizooria were developed, very few people will migrate. Use the US citizens as an example...dem dey migrate? Highest they go on vacation and return.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Redpillar(m): 6:11pm On Jun 20, 2022
GloriousGbola:

Not sure where this fabu is coming from. Most of my relatives in Yankee are def going to die there.

Same with the ones I know o.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 6:11pm On Jun 20, 2022
This is a big lie.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by iamdapsyj(m): 6:12pm On Jun 20, 2022
Apus:
You won't understand.

Abroad is good for hustle and enjoying basic amenities we lack here. Asides this, there is this feeling of emptiness or something missing each time you remember home.
When I was away I was even more current about latest happenings in Naija than those at home so as to feel connected.

This statement is very true......my uncle and cousin abroad hear the latest naija news before me.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Diligence: 6:12pm On Jun 20, 2022
Just like the Jews, Hebrews, Ndi-Igbo and many other tribes (Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, Et Al)..

There is no place like home. When it's time, you would like to be laid to rest at HOME SWEET HOME!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by AjalaDtraveller(f): 6:12pm On Jun 20, 2022
Government takes my pension insurance from my pay check every single month. When i am old i get the money back. I am paid according to the contribution taken from me. Now the money paid is best spent in Nigeria because the cost of living there is way cheaper especially if i have been able to put up my own home before retiring. Pensioners here do not get a lot. But the same money spent in Nigeria would do 6 times more for me. So that is the reason why even some of the whites when they retire look for counties with less tax and lower cost of living to relocate to when they retire

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by DAVIDELUXED: 6:13pm On Jun 20, 2022
very funny thread indeed. Elder returning where.. so after 40 years in the UK. How would you settle with all the madness in the country.
what a joke.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by abobote: 6:13pm On Jun 20, 2022
Coz that's their root
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by pweeryambre: 6:13pm On Jun 20, 2022
Missy89:

Retirement is cheaper in Nigeria. If you already have a house and you are getting your monthly social security checks.

You mean pension? What is social security cheque in this naija.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by KILLTHECOWS(f): 6:14pm On Jun 20, 2022
Whiteshield:
Why do Igbos only go back to Igboland when they are to be buried?

If they mistakenly ressurect like this, they enter night bus out of Igboland.
I thought you have sense before now..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Whiteshield: 6:15pm On Jun 20, 2022
KILLTHECOWS:
I thought you have sense before now..

Sense? Mbanu. Akoi sense.
Happy?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by biggie73(m): 6:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
They want to be with their loved ones. It's lonely in there
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Eastcoastboy(m): 6:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
Make them die there?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ernest Azudialu-Obiejesi Orders ₦60 Billion Luxury Jet / More Updates On The Lagos Light Rail Project & 10Lane Lagos-Badagry Express Way / Dana Airlines Flight Caught Fire In Port Harcourt (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.