Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2156) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1478496 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2153) (2154) (2155) (2156) (2157) (2158) (2159) ... (4680) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 4:39pm On Mar 27, 2023
Segedinho:
I swear ..u don't have d slightest understanding of what is going on in Nigeria.
I mean d rate of poverty in d land and d dependence on fuel for every thing
More than 50% of Nigerian graduates (age 23 to 40 )are surviving with uber n bolt(even on hire purchased)...no job whatsoever for them......just think about how it will affect them .
I think a one time removal will be d recipe for revolution

We have 2 terrible options

Keep subsidy and feeding the corrupt few while there wont be meaningful development
Remove subsidy and people will go into terrible suffering with a hope that it will trigger development in the future
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:39pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

You realize how hard it is for development to happen with subsidy in place, Between smugglers and those who are eating fat from subsidy. There will never be a time when it will be okay

Let the government do their job and block all subsidy loopholes. Subsidy in itself is not bad, it’s the fact some people are using it to finesse the country finance that’s the problem. We just need the new govt incoming to ensure that the subsidy figures are not over bloated and those they are paying are those that are actually bringing in the fuel.

The citizens rely on fuel for most of everything we do, you cannot just dump your lack of financial responsibility on them like that. Fuel going from 180 to 750 will cause serious mayhem.

I sincerely hope PBAT won’t start his tenure with this own goal, his administration won’t recover from it.

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:40pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

We have 2 terrible options

Keep subsidy and feeding the corrupt few while there wont be meaningful development
Remove subsidy and people will go into terrible suffering with a hope that it will trigger development in the future

The first question the masses will ask you is what’s the guarantee that the funds saved from the subsidy removal will be used for development?

Will it not just be rerouting the funds from one looter to another?

3 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:41pm On Mar 27, 2023
sod09:
Thats why I was telling blue ray it might not happen till ending of the year
We dan too suffer this year alone adding subsidy to it will create big wahala

E no go funny at all.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 4:41pm On Mar 27, 2023
larride:

Let the government do their job and block all subsidy loopholes. Subsidy in itself is not bad, it’s the fact some people are using it to finesse the country finance that’s the problem. We just need the new govt incoming to ensure that the subsidy figures are not over bloated and those they are paying are those that are actually bringing in the fuel.

The citizens rely on fuel for most of everything we do, you cannot just dump your lack of financial responsibility on them like that. Fuel going from 180 to 750 will cause serious mayhem.

I sincerely hope PBAT won’t start his tenure with this own goal, his administration won’t recover from it.
This is another way to go
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 4:42pm On Mar 27, 2023
Theflint1:
Could as well be having a weight lifting target of 100kg, but building up slowly to it from 30kg.

A phased removal over a 3-4 year period isn't too long... Jonathan's time to now is 8 years already, if we'd removed it then, the economy would have adjusted, even if Buhari removed it between 2019 and 2023, we'd have adjusted. Most of the guys that protested Jonathan removing subsidy then knew that was the way to go, but because of politics, they opposed it, now that it's more difficult for the average Nigerian to bear the removal, they're now acting like subsidy is the drug that will fix all of Nigeria's problems...this is part of the mistrust I'm referring to..

While there were some that protested Jonathan removal because of politics, there were millions of pople too who gave the same reasons you are giving now. How it should be phased, how it would bring untold hardship, how we need to fix power first etc

That was 2012, this is 2023, 11yrs later. We are still here. in another 11yrs 2034 we will still be having the pros and cons of removing subsidies and how all these reasons will still be valid, the country wont have any development, but we will create like 10 new billionaires like Diezani and Kola Aluko
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 4:45pm On Mar 27, 2023
larride:

larride:

The first question the masses will ask you is what’s the guarantee that the funds saved from the subsidy removal will be used for development?

Will it not just be rerouting the funds from one looter to another?
Everything you typed was what we said over 20yrs ago, block all loopholes, provide electricity, do a phased removal, what guarantee do we have that money saved wont be relooted
If we search internet properly, we will see all these reasons given in 2003, 2010 and everytime govt attempted subsidy removal

If we have gone through this before and we are still here, Maybe we need to do something different
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 4:46pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

While there were some that protested Jonathan removal because of politics, there were millions of pople too who gave the same reasons you are giving now. How it should be phased, how it would bring untold hardship, how we need to fix power first etc

That was 2012, this is 2023, 11yrs later. We are still here. in another 11yrs 2034 we will still be having the pros and cons of removing subsidies and how all these reasons will still be valid, the country wont have any development, but we will create like 10 new billionaires like Diezani and Kola Aluko
The people I was referring to were the political elites, among whom are the current president and the president-elect. You can't protest subsidy removal in 2012 when the economy wasn't as bad, and the margin of removal wasn't as bad only to come over a decade later and say that errrm... removing subsidy is the way to go after all cheesy
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 4:47pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

Everything you typed was what we said over 20yrs ago, block all loopholes, provide electricity, do a phased removal, what guarantee do we have that money saved wont be relooted
If we search internet properly, we will see all these reasons given in 2003, 2010 and everytime govt attempted subsidy removal

If we have gone through this before and we are still here, Maybe we need to do something different
But these things were not done, and that's why the arguments remain valid.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:48pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

But all these has been failure from govt, it’s not the masses that stopped the govt from blocking subsidy hoopholes or improving our electricity. In fact it is the govt that has eroded the trust that the masses has in them.

If the govt keep failing to do their responsibilities, why should the masses be the one to suffer for it?

4 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 4:50pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

Buhari, with all his garments of Integrity, could not block any loophole

Na Tinubu go come block am.

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 4:50pm On Mar 27, 2023
Donjazet2:
The problem for me concerning this subsidy is an issue of "trust".

In an advanced country or democracy, if the government says, we're taking money away from this venture and funneling or diversifying it into another venture, but there might be short term pain for long term gain, people can then boldy argue the merits or demerits of the issue but knowing for sure that those funds would not be tampered with.l and everyone can monitor how those public funds are used.

So for me Personally, if Obi is president today and is telling me, he will remove subsidy and the funds will be diverted towards other more fruitful venture, I'm more inclined to believe this knowing his antecedents with handling public funds and knowing the obstacles he overcame to win that seat.

However, in a kakisto-plutocracy under BAT which is surely going to continue our rotten style of absolutely corrupt politics of and for the elite, how on earth do I sacrifice the little gain to suffer times 10 when I know the money gotten will simply be funneled towards corrupt politicians pockets again?

Jonathan slashed subsidy by a bit and set up the "subsidy scheme" in 2013 or so, we all saw how that scheme became another venue for government corruption.

If there was trust in the government, then we could argue the merits and demerits of subsidy, but the fact that the government about to enforce this is one that was announced like a thief in the night with a stolen certificate. I have no personal desire to suffer for a lost cause.
💯
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:50pm On Mar 27, 2023
We cannot in good conscience continue to ask the masses to make sacrifices and suffer more while we can’t see any improvement from the govt to reduce the sufferings and make our lives comfortable.

There’s so much people can take before they get to a turning point.

Let govt do it’s job before asking the masses to make sacrifices

cc Egbon raumdueter

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 4:52pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter, it's easy to call for subsidy removal when you no dey naija. But if you dey naija, you no go dey talk like this.

Things are extremely hard for the common man on the street with fuel sold at N185/litre. If subsidy is removed anytime soon and fuel sold at N750/lire, there will be riots and war go happen.

The country go burn. EndSARS protests go be like child's play

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 4:52pm On Mar 27, 2023
larride:
We cannot in good conscience continue to ask the masses to make sacrifices and suffer more while we can’t see any improvement from the govt to reduce the sufferings and make our lives comfortable.

cc Egbon raumdueter
Leadership is top-down.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 4:53pm On Mar 27, 2023
Theflint1:
The people I was referring to were the political elites, among whom are the current president and the president-elect. You can't protest subsidy removal in 2012 when the economy wasn't as bad, and the margin of removal wasn't as bad only to come over a decade later and say that errrm... removing subsidy is the way to go after all cheesy

You seemed to be still stuck on Jonathan removal, In 2003 Obasanjo also tried to remove subsidy every Nigerian protested it using the same reasons you are giving now. Almost al the terminologies used t justify retained or phased removal were used then

Read this post

https://nvdatabase.swarthmore.edu/content/nigerians-strike-protest-reduced-fuel-subsidies-2003
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 4:55pm On Mar 27, 2023
larride:

cc Egbon raumdueter
It doesn't help too that BAT is doing this hand of Jacob, voice of Esau thingy with the subsidy removal. Subsidy removal is clearly an APC policy, Buhari should come out to announce the removal if that's how they want to go, and BAT should immediately release a policy on how they'd manage the removal once his government kicks off.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:55pm On Mar 27, 2023
Theflint1:
Leadership is top-down.

Yes
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 4:57pm On Mar 27, 2023
Theflint1:
It doesn't help too that BAT is doing this hand of Jacob, voice of Esau thingy with the subsidy removal. Subsidy removal is clearly an APC policy, Buhari should come out to announce the removal if that's how they want to go, and BAT should release a policy on how they'd manage the removal.

On this I disagree.

Let Tinubu get sworn in, access the situation himself as the President and make his own decision based on his own assessment so we can know who hold responsible straight away.

Buhari should do and go. The one wey he don do is enough.

3 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 4:58pm On Mar 27, 2023
The return leg of the Afcon qualifier is about to start. If Nigeria lose today, na to sack that unfortunate gaffer coaching the team

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 4:59pm On Mar 27, 2023
larride:

But all these has been failure from govt, it’s not the masses that stopped the govt from blocking subsidy hoopholes or improving our electricity. In fact it is the govt that has eroded the trust that the masses has in them.

If the govt keep failing to do their responsibilities, why should the masses be the one to suffer for it?

If there are opportunities to steal there will be theft. Its that simple. The easiest way is to remove the opportunity

Its like US Mexico border, as long as there is instability and disparity in economic factors, people will always attempt to cross even if you build a nuclear bomb at the border. People still attempt to cross from North Korea to S Korea
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 5:00pm On Mar 27, 2023
A001:
The return leg of the Afcon qualifier is about to start. If Nigeria lose today, na to sack that unfortunate gaffer coaching the team

We won’t go anywhere with Pajero. Go and look at his records at Venezuela
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 5:02pm On Mar 27, 2023
larride:

We won’t go anywhere with Pajero. Go and look at his records at Venezuela
Nothing dey the man head. I don't know what the NFF guys were thinking when they sacked Rohr for this m.oron
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 5:02pm On Mar 27, 2023
larride:

On this I disagree.

Let Tinubu get sworn in, access the situation himself as the President and make his own decision based on his own assessment so we can know who hold responsible straight away.

Buhari should do and go. The one wey he don do is enough.
BAT is onboard the removal, the handover process has begun already, most of the major decisions being made now are in tandem with BAT. Buhari is only taking the fall for it since he's on his way out already.

If you choose to believe otherwise I understand too.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 5:03pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

If there are opportunities to steal there will be theft. Its that simple. The easiest way is to remove the opportunity

Its like US Mexico border, as long as there is instability and disparity in economic factors, people will always attempt to cross even if you build a nuclear bomb at the border. People still attempt to cross from North Korea to S Korea

Egbon you said people have been complaining about the same thing since 2003, don’t you think that if successive govt had actually done their job, don’t you think we won’t be saying the same thing 20yrs later?

Successive govt has failed us on this subsidy issue and I disagree wholeheartedly that the masses should be the one to suffer for successive govt gross incompetence.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 5:03pm On Mar 27, 2023
izzou:
Buhari, with all his garments of Integrity, could not block any loophole
Na Tinubu go come block am.

Buhari made himself the minister of petroleum

If we are to rate public office holders on the scale of Integrity and not stealing in the past 40yrs, Buhari will rank close to the top at least in people's perception

Yet after 8yrs under Buhari where he was Petroleum minister we dey here

Govt no go do anything and they will claim they are spending trillions on Subsidy every month, while a few very are cashing out and buying yatchs
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 5:04pm On Mar 27, 2023
Match starts...
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 5:05pm On Mar 27, 2023
larride:

Egbon you said people have been complaining about the same thing since 2003, don’t you think that if successive govt had actually done their job, don’t you think we won’t be saying the same thing 20yrs later?

Successive govt has failed us on this subsidy issue and I disagree wholeheartedly that the masses should be the one to suffer for successive govt gross incompetence.

You see subsidy as rewarding the people, but the truth is that the few govt patrons benefit more from this than anyone

There are many big men who wont want subsidy removed
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by TrebleChamp(m): 5:05pm On Mar 27, 2023
Realmrsean:
it's his real account..
It is a Parody bro, Datti is not on Twitter...
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 5:06pm On Mar 27, 2023
Theflint1:
BAT is onboard the removal, the handover process has begun already, most of the decisions being made now are in tandem with BAT. Buhari is only taking the fall for it since he's on his way out already.

If you choose to believe otherwise I understand too.

BAT said he will remove fuel subsidy during his campaign I know, same way Buhari said he will remove fuel subsidy during his campaign 8yrs ago and yet here we are. Before the election took place, Buhari had said he will remove the fuel subsidy on June 1 before, this was before campaign even started.

Like I said before, let Buhari just go, let Tinubu make that decision himself as President after accessing everything on ground. We don’t want a Greek gift from Buhari.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 5:07pm On Mar 27, 2023
larride:

BAT said he will remove fuel subsidy during his campaign I know, same way Buhari said he will remove fuel subsidy during his campaign 8yrs ago and yet here we are. Before the election took place, Buhari had said he will remove the fuel subsidy on June 1 before, this was before campaign even started.

Like I said before, let Buhari just go, let Tinubu make that decision himself as President after accessing everything on ground. We don’t want a Greek gift from Buhari.
Okay, we'd pretend like it's a Greek gift.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 5:08pm On Mar 27, 2023
Who's your greatest African player ever to play in the EPL? Mine: Moh Sallah.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2153) (2154) (2155) (2156) (2157) (2158) (2159) ... (4680) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: CrystalTiger(m), Kamachicho(f), aieromon(m), BlueRayDick, ToyinDipo(m), Roland17(m), Itsrm(m), Theflint1(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.