Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2157) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1477640 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2154) (2155) (2156) (2157) (2158) (2159) (2160) ... (4679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 5:08pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

You see subsidy as rewarding the people, but the truth is that the few govt patrons benefit more from this than anyone

There are many big men who wont want subsidy removed

One thing issue you are overlooking is the over dependence of the masses on fuel.

The large number of people who need fuel is greater in multiple folds to those who are sharing into the “subsidy fraud”.

I am not against subsidy removal, what I am against is the sudden removal without providing cushion for the masses. We have suffered enough.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 5:10pm On Mar 27, 2023
A001:
Who's your greatest African player ever to play in the EPL? Mine: Moh Sallah.

Anyone asking that question should be slapped hard

MOHHHH SALAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Now if you are asking about greatest player to ever play in the EPL. Moh Salah will also be in the top 5
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 5:10pm On Mar 27, 2023
larride:

One thing issue you are overlooking is the over dependence of the masses on fuel.

The large number of people who need fuel is greater in multiple folds to those who are sharing into the “subsidy fraud”.

I am not against subsidy removal, what I am against is the sudden removal without providing cushion for the masses. We have suffered enough.

What are these cushions for the masses that will be enough to remove subsidy
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 5:11pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

Anyone asking that question should be slapped hard

MOHHHH SALAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Now if you are asking about greatest player to ever play in the EPL. Moh Salah will also be in the top 5
Apart from Sallah, who else should be in the top 5?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc2: 5:13pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

Everything you typed was what we said over 20yrs ago, block all loopholes, provide electricity, do a phased removal, what guarantee do we have that money saved wont be relooted
If we search internet properly, we will see all these reasons given in 2003, 2010 and everytime govt attempted subsidy removal

If we have gone through this before and we are still here, Maybe we need to do something different

People are not saying that it should not be removed at all, but that there has to be some discernible planning involved, and measures in place to reduce the initial negative effects.

If it is suddenly removed the average Nigerian will be paying about 750 naira per litre with a minimum wage of 30k, which is about the same naira amount an Australian with minimum wage of about 1.5m naira equivalent will be paying. Plus, the Australian will mainly be buying the fuel for his car alone while the Nigerian needs it to power his home. Then you factor in the inflationary effects of the increased fuel price on all other goods and services.

6 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 5:14pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

I am interested in this answer too

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 5:17pm On Mar 27, 2023
Fuel is a commodity that every Nigerian needs in one form or the other.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 5:20pm On Mar 27, 2023
A001:
Salah, and it's not even close.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 5:28pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

Its this phased removal thing they have been selling to us for the past 20yrs and nothing has changed. If we don't do it, in another 20yrs we will be talking about subsidy removal while a few will be feeding fat on the subsidy money

Weren't you advocating for subsidy removal before election or did I mix you with someone else? Maybe it was itsrm

I'm 100% in support of subsidy removal but only if the government of Nigeria is privatised and given to a private company that can be held accountable to run.

These ones will steal 60% of whatever is being saved

When Amaechi wanted to do the monorail, two firms bidded. An indegeneous and a foreign firm. The foreign firm bidded 21bn to get the job done, the other bidded 50bn. I'm sure you already know who Ameachi gave the job.

I can't trust these politicians with subsidy removal. It's just more money for them to steal.

4 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 5:29pm On Mar 27, 2023
Politics is a messy game.

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 5:29pm On Mar 27, 2023
afrodoc2:

People are not saying that it should not be removed at all, but that there has to be some discernible planning involved, and measures in place to reduce the initial negative effects.

If it is suddenly removed the average Nigerian will be paying about 750 naira per litre with a minimum wage of 30k, which is about the same naira amount an Australian with minimum wage of about 1.5m naira equivalent will be paying. Plus, the Australian will mainly be buying the fuel for his car alone while the Nigerian needs it to power his home. Then you factor in the inflationary effects of the increased fuel price on all other goods and services.

Unfortunately fuel is a global commodity and subsidy is creating a special price for Nigerians a very poor country based on income per head which the govt have to take the burden. The fuel subsidy is not even a one time thing(like subsidize farmers for natural disasters), Its an ongoing thing every day, every year for the forseeable future

Like many things we use TV, Phones, cars etc they do not make specific for 30K minimum wage countries vs 1st world countries, The iPhone in Lagos to a 30K min wage user costs the same as the iPhone to you in UK
All our West African neighbors Cameroun Benin Togo Niger all do not earn close to Aussie minimum wage and they pay about Australian fuel prices

There is no way we wont have to face this whether now or when it has gotten worse than today situation

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 5:30pm On Mar 27, 2023
A001:

Apart from Sallah, who else should be in the top 5?

Africa or EPL all time

Africa

Moh Salah
Salah Mo
Mohamed Salah
Drogba
Mane

EPL
Henry
Shearer
Ronaldo
Salah
Vidic
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 27, 2023
A001:
Salah has got to be among the 2 best left- footed players of all time in the epl.

The guy na bastard sha. angry
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 5:32pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

Africa or EPL all time

Africa

Moh Salah
Salah Mo
Mohamed Salah
Drogba
Mane

EPL
Henry
Shearer
Ronaldo
Salah
Vidic
Africa.

Mane? No Kanu?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 5:32pm On Mar 27, 2023
Penarity for naija
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 5:32pm On Mar 27, 2023
A001:

Africa.

Mane? No Kanu?

Was Kanu a key part of an EPL title winning side. As in undisputed starter
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 5:33pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

Was Kanu a key part of an EPL title winning side. As in undisputed starter
Okay then. Fair enough
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 5:34pm On Mar 27, 2023
Moses Simon got the opener.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Segedinho(m): 5:35pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

We have 2 terrible options

Keep subsidy and feeding the corrupt few while there wont be meaningful development
Remove subsidy and people will go into terrible suffering with a hope that it will trigger development in the future
We are not in any terrible situation with subsidy..

Our main problem is the thieving and d unnecessary cost of governance.

Under obj..i think we were able to cut down debt despite subsidy......where did d money came from

A whole ship came/still coming on board to steal crudes with no accountability whatsoever..

A country were snake swallowed millions of naira naim u want trust with subsidy cash ?..

Make dem no remove am if things are not in place. atleast that is what an average Nigerian is benefitting from d messed up country

4 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 5:38pm On Mar 27, 2023
OasisX:
Politics is a messy game.

When I talk, they say I'm overating Wike.

Wike is the most powerful governor in Nigeria today. You don't mess with him.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by nihilistjnr: 5:39pm On Mar 27, 2023
A001:

How can Mo Salah be there over Drogba and Yaya?

Its like saying Alan Shearer is the greatest English striker to play in EPL, when Rooney is not dead.

Objectively, it's between Drogba and Yaya for number 1 spot. With Chelsea bias I take Drogba.

But Salah may not even be top 5 greatest Africans to play in EPL. How can you be in Greatest EPL discussion....with only ONE EPL title?

How can you be in Greatest African discussion....but you never won AFCON?

Let's stop this rubbish please. Salah was not even the greatest African in the Klopp peak Era. Mane senior am.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 5:40pm On Mar 27, 2023
Segedinho:
We are not in any terrible situation with subsidy..
Our main problem is the thieving and d unnecessary cost of governance.
Under obj..i think we were able to cut down debt despite subsidy......where did d money came from
A whole ship came/still coming on board to steal crudes with no accountability whatsoever..
A country were snake swallowed millions of naira naim u want trust with subsidy cash ?..

Make dem no remove am if things are not in place. atleast that is what an average Nigerian is benefitting from d messed up country

So you think we should keep the subsidy? What are the things that need to be put in place

Na every country dem dey steal and corruption dey under whatever guise
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by A001: 5:42pm On Mar 27, 2023
Chukuwueze, useless player
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc2: 5:43pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

Unfortunately fuel is a global commodity and subsidy is creating a special price for Nigerians which the govt have to take the burden. The fuel subsidy is not even a one time thing(like subsidize farmers for natural disasters), Its an ongoing thing every day, every year for the forseeable future

Like many things we use TV, Phones, cars etc they do not make specific for 30K minimum wage countries vs 1st world countries, The iPhone in Lagos to a 30K min wage user costs the same as the iPhone to you in UK
All our West African neighbors Cameroun Benin Togo Niger all do not earn close to Aussie minimum wage and they pay about Australian fuel prices

There is no way we wont have to face this whether now or when it has gotten worse than today situation

Once again people are not saying it should never be done but that it should not be handled the way currency change was handled. Everybody has a breaking point. Suddenly removing it in these harsh times might lead to anarchy.

First of all, the new president should come in and assess the best way to go about it, rather than be handed a fait accompli by the cowardly outgoing president.

In terms of what can be done to minimize anarchy: 1) Improve the power situation across the country. 2) Improve public transport, especially for goods nationwide and in the major cities which would be the likely foci of dissent. These 2 actions will minimize people's dependence on fuel.

After 18 months you can reduce the subsidy being paid by about 50% and after 2-3 years you eliminate it totally. The removal could lead to electoral defeat unless you get the people onside by executing needed projects to show where the money is going, and by tackling corruption head on. Excellent PR and propaganda work would be needed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 5:47pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

For 1 is electricity. Having stable electricity means we won’t be using fuel for every single thing we need power for.

Another is income, how do price of goods and services rise significantly while masses income remain stagnant?

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 5:50pm On Mar 27, 2023
afrodoc2:
[/b]

Once again people are not saying it should never be done but that it should not be handled the way currency change was handled. Everybody has a breaking point. Suddenly removing it in these harsh times might lead to anarchy.

First of all, the new president should come in and assess the best way to go about it, rather than be handed a fait accompli by the cowardly outgoing president.

In terms of what can be done to minimize anarchy: 1) Improve the power situation across the country. 2) Improve public transport, especially for goods nationwide and in the major cities which would be the likely foci of dissent. These 2 actions will minimize people's dependence on fuel.

After 18 months you can reduce the subsidy being paid by about 50% and after 2-3 years you eliminate it totally. The removal could lead to electoral defeat unless you get the people onside by executing needed projects to show where the money is going, and by tackling corruption head on. Excellent PR and propaganda work would be needed.

Exactly my point.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 5:53pm On Mar 27, 2023
None of una dey watch Naija match? cheesy

#bringbackrohr
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by obainojazz(m): 5:54pm On Mar 27, 2023
750 is still more than what we pay in Australia using official exchange rate…. On a 30k budget

Dammmmm
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 5:56pm On Mar 27, 2023
obainojazz:
750 is still more than what we pay in Australia using official exchange rate…. On a 30k budget

Dammmmm

E no go funny sha.

I go mail you later in the day on that level we discussed. I don put call to that guy.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 5:56pm On Mar 27, 2023
BlueRayDick:

I don't think there is anything like storing fuel safely; na when yawa never gas person dey think say he store fuel safely.

There is actually.
It's not advisable to store fuel close to electricity.
Or a place high in temperature
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by monerozi5590: 5:58pm On Mar 27, 2023
nihilistjnr:

How can Mo Salah be there over Drogba and Yaya?

Its like saying Alan Shearer is the greatest English striker to play in EPL, when Rooney is not dead.

Objectively, it's between Drogba and Yaya for number 1 spot. With Chelsea bias I take Drogba.

But Salah may not even be top 5 greatest Africans to play in EPL. How can you be in Greatest EPL discussion....with only ONE EPL title?

How can you be in Greatest African discussion....but you never won AFCON?

Let's stop this rubbish please. Salah was not even the greatest African in the Klopp peak Era. Mane senior am.

Mane senior am with what sir? Is there any way to measure players apart from statistics? Both are forwards. Numbers don't lie.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Segedinho(m): 5:58pm On Mar 27, 2023
raumdeuter:

So you think we should keep the subsidy? What are the things that need to be put in place

Na every country dem dey steal and corruption dey under whatever guise
Fix light n d refinery .

Gain d trust of the masses by bringing corrupt leaders to book.

If possible,cut down unnecessary spendings

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2154) (2155) (2156) (2157) (2158) (2159) (2160) ... (4679) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.