Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,562 members, 7,865,340 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 04:05 PM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2598) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1581721 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2595) (2596) (2597) (2598) (2599) (2600) (2601) ... (4851) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 1:22pm On May 23, 2023
All these factors you're bringing like middlemen and retailers adding their markup, are things that would play out even outside Nigeria...Nigerian middlemen and retailers don't have a special gene making them more greedy than those in Chad, Niger or wherever else he sells his cement...the only reason his cement will cost more within Nigeria than outside Nigeria is most likely because he sells it cheaper outside Nigeria than he sells within Nigeria.
larride:

I’ve been trying to get my hands on that interview since last night with no success. I can’t remember if it was on Twitter I saw the video or YouTube.

Look at the breakdown that iamoyindamola gave and you will see it mirror at least closely to what I said and attest to what you say also.

Dangote, lafarge and bua sells cement at almost at the same factory price, it is the additional cost and profit margins of distributors that makes Dangote cement more expensive than the others.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 1:24pm On May 23, 2023
Ibime:

Na brave guys dey do that business for Naija. It's a tight margin business but predictable. However in a setting where you can lose 1 in 10 trucks to Nigerian roads be it accident, vigilantes, bad roads, poor drivers, kidnappers, not to mention drivers probably siphoning diesel, I wonder how they plan out their cash flow and payback periods on trucks. Too many variables dey Naija setting

I have tried trucking in Nigeria before with disastrous results. I thought about it here in the US too but there were some scary stories. I know a few guys in a Naija church who came together for the business and at last na fight them use scatter. The major thing in trucking is finding reliable drivers.
A friend narrated how a driver abandoned his truck filled with goods in another state, So he had to find another driver, fly him to the truck to salvage the truck. He finally got out of it

Around 2011, I got on some trucking forums, became friendly with a few guys and tried to pick some ideas from them. I exchanged a few emails. The picture they painted shows its a very tight margin business and many things can go wrong. So I backed out of it completely
I can share the email on a different thread those numbers are for 2011

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 1:26pm On May 23, 2023
Melvyn11:

In the east Na tummy tummy be no1. Maybe it's because of the carrot inside.

When I saw indomie generates 1 billion dollars annually and I ask myself if this can happen without conquering the whole Nigeria then there is money to be made in the country with the right investment.
1 billion USD in profits?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 1:28pm On May 23, 2023
It has to be, 1 billion USD in profit from the Nigerian market, selling Indomie, sounded ludicrous.
larride:

I think it’s worldwide. Not Nigeria alone.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 1:28pm On May 23, 2023
ibime

Check the post here for the email I mentioned. There are word documents and spreadsheets too but I dont think NL allows to share. Note again this conversation was in 2011

https://www.nairaland.com/7685405/juventus-vs-sevilla-11-may#123316477

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 1:28pm On May 23, 2023
Itsrm:

Insurance is flexible enough and does not just take care of the vehicle. You can insure the goods being transported.

Standard logistics firms like DHL insure their goods so if the driver runs away with it or any other thing happens, they turn to insurance.

And when you say kidnapping, do you mean like the driver getting kidnapped?

I know how insurance works and I know most Nigerian businessmen can't even afford to pay premium on goods being transported. Goods-In-Transit insurance is not cheap due to all those factors we mentioned earlier like banditry, bad roads, insecurity etc. That's why u see kerosene, PMS being expensive upnorth cos the business owner will pass these costs down to the final consumer.

If ur driver runs away with ur goods, ur goods-in-transit insurance doesn't even cover it. U will need a Fidelity guarantee insurance for that(It covers fraudulent acts of employee /theft of ur property by ur employee).

The truth is just that if we were to be a more honest people in this country, doing business won't be this stressful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 1:36pm On May 23, 2023
A little too late for this.. But still okay

https://punchng.com/ninth-nass-an-indolent-weak-rubber-stamp/

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 1:37pm On May 23, 2023
BlueRayDick:

I know how insurance works and I know most Nigerian businessmen can't even afford to pay premium on goods being transported. Goods-In-Transit insurance is not cheap due to all those factors we mentioned earlier like banditry, bad roads, insecurity etc. That's why u see kerosene, PMS being expensive upnorth cos the business owner will pass these costs down to the final consumer.

If ur driver runs away with ur goods, ur goods-in-transit insurance doesn't even cover it. U will need a Fidelity guarantee insurance for that(It covers fraudulent acts of employee /theft of ur property by ur employee).

The truth is just that if we were to be a more honest people in this country, doing business won't be this stressful.

thats why the companies with actual fleets collect an original c of o as a caution doc. at least that is what my old place used to do.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 1:40pm On May 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

thats why the companies with actual fleets collect an original c of o as a caution doc. at least that is what my old place used to do.

Yes o, If they know their family house can be sold due to their fraudulent act, they will behave themselves and not throw their employer into loss. That's one of the ways of exerting fear of God from people in the country.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by CrystalTiger(m): 1:42pm On May 23, 2023
liveLongNprospa:
A little too late for this.. But still okay

https://punchng.com/ninth-nass-an-indolent-weak-rubber-stamp/

Baba leave politics today abeg, I take God dey beg you biko...Make we enjoy this business conversations for today abeg..

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by CrystalTiger(m): 1:47pm On May 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

grin grin grin

Ordinary keke hire purchase, I no joke with better document commitment from my drivers then..

The average Nigerian is very wicked sha..Na who never do this transport business for naija no go know..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 1:49pm On May 23, 2023
CrystalTiger:

Baba leave politics today abeg, I take God dey beg you biko...Make we enjoy this business conversations for today abeg..

Lmao.. My guy I dey contribute to both.
You fit multitask okay?

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 2:03pm On May 23, 2023
UK Don finally run us street😭
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by liveLongNprospa(m): 2:07pm On May 23, 2023

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 2:08pm On May 23, 2023
PDPGuy:

Na Aisha own am? grin

Yep
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 2:09pm On May 23, 2023
Spy360:

May 26th

grin

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 2:22pm On May 23, 2023
liveLongNprospa:
I mean I understand.. Some people go dey travel with wife and kids.. But still

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/home-office-to-stop-students-from-bringing-family-to-uk-in-bid-to-curb-migration-12887545

Nigerians don press Ctrl + spoil cry

I know somebody who sold his cars, his land and liquidated a small business he was running aside with his salaried job. He travelled with his wife, 3 kids, his mother-in-law and his younger brother all as dependants. I think Nigerians dey always overdo

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 2:25pm On May 23, 2023
JUST IN: Following consultations, the Governors of the South-East have agreed that the Second Niger Bridge shall be named the MUHAMMADU BUHARI SECOND NIGER BRIDGE.

6 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Olowunl01: 2:28pm On May 23, 2023
BlueRayDick:

Its seems it's only Asians that can do business and survive in Nigeria? Cos when I brought up investing in property shortlet or lets; the horror stories I left me still weighing up my options - only positive is that cost of finance is near zero if I ignore opportunity cost.

What business can someone then invest in? We can't leave everything to foreigners ke?

Govt should also focus on judiciary and enforcing existing laws; so that people face SWIFT consequences for their actions, for example how can we still be having omo onile issues in 2023? especially when its miscreant parading as Omo onile's creating most of these wahala...
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by monerozi5590: 2:50pm On May 23, 2023
OasisX:
JUST IN: Following consultations, the Governors of the South-East have agreed that the Second Niger Bridge shall be named the MUHAMMADU BUHARI SECOND NIGER BRIDGE.

Smile. May God continue to bless Buhari.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by TrebleChamp(m): 2:50pm On May 23, 2023
John winks 4 is now on n e t n a i j a d o t c o m
Can't post link cos of spambot, use the menu option on the site and select movies...
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itzlinda(f): 3:10pm On May 23, 2023
Ibime:

Na brave guys dey do that business for Naija. It's a tight margin business but predictable. However in a setting where you can lose 1 in 10 trucks to Nigerian roads be it accident, vigilantes, bad roads, poor drivers, kidnappers, not to mention drivers probably siphoning diesel, I wonder how they plan out their cash flow and payback periods on trucks. Too many variables dey Naija setting

As a new comer in that business you can hardly make it. The only people that makes it are people who were previously of such cars before
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 3:18pm On May 23, 2023
OasisX:

Good development. Some people can opt to swim instead of using the bridge

Why not Jubril El Sudani Bridge?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 3:30pm On May 23, 2023
Olowunl01:

Its seems it's only Asians that can do business and survive in Nigeria? Cos when I brought up investing in property shortlet or lets; the horror stories I left me still weighing up my options - only positive is that cost of finance is near zero if I ignore opportunity cost.

What business can someone then invest in? We can't leave everything to foreigners ke?

Govt should also focus on judiciary and enforcing existing laws; so that people face SWIFT consequences for their actions, for example how can we still be having omo onile issues in 2023? especially when its miscreant parading as Omo onile's creating most of these wahala...

Baba, there are businesses u can do in naija but most of it u must be on ground to run it at infancy before u can think of putting other people in charge. Even if u want to run a pure legit business, u must know so much about the unethical practices in that line of business for u to be able to plan against them impacting ur business negatively.

Let me share a story.

I went to see a friend one day and from his house we went to a big hotel closeby to have a drink. He ordered Hennessey which the waiter brought, my friend opened the drink and claimed its a fake Henny. He was pissed and asked them to call the manager whom he accused of selling fake Henny for the price of original.

The manager swore upon everything he held dearly that they buy their henny straight from distributor and there's no way they will sell "apongbon" Hennessey. My friend was so convinced it was fake and asked the manager to sip to confirm. The man confirmed the drink was fake but confused how a fake Henny made it into their stock.

In order to compensate us for our trouble, the manager asked the waiter to bring another bottle but it turned out fake as well. The third bottle was brought and it turned out to be fake. At that point the manager was embarrassed and started pleading. It then struck him that some of the staff ran a racket in the past where they buy fake Henny from home, bring it to work and exchange it with the original they have in their stock.

Like do u know the negative effect the incident will have on their business if we made a big deal out of it? That is just one of the ways in which people can ruin ur business in Nigeria if u don't research well enough about the unethical practices involved in ur line of business.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 3:36pm On May 23, 2023
BlueRayDick:

Baba, there are businesses u can do in naija but most of it u must be on ground to run it at infancy before u can think of putting other people in charge. Even if u want to run a pure legit business, u must know so much about the unethical practices in that line of business for u to be able to plan against them impacting ur business negatively.

Let share a story.

I went to see a friend one day and from his house we went to a big hotel closeby to have a drink. He ordered Hennessey which the waiter brought, my friend opened the drink and claimed its a fake Henny. He was pissed and asked them to call the manager whom he accused of selling fake Henny for the price of original.

The manager swore upon everything he held dearly that they buy their henny straight from distributor and there's no way they will sell "apongbon" Hennessey. My friend was so convinced it was fake and asked the manager to sip to confirm. The man confirmed the drink was fake but confused how a fake Henny made it into their stock.

In order to compensate us for our trouble, the manager asked the waiter to bring another bottle but it turned out fake as well. The bottle was brought and it turned out to be fake. At that point the manager was embarrassed and started pleading. It then struck him that some of the staff ran a racket in the past where they buy fake Henny from home, bring it to work and exchange it with the original they have in their stock.

Like do u know the negative effect the incident will have on their business if we made a big deal out of it? That is just one of the ways in which people can ruin ur business in Nigeria if u don't research well enough about the unethical practices involved in ur line of business.

This thing with fake liquor is common in Nigeria. My friend who travelled also said the same thing that after drinking that Hennesey, his tongue was stained black

I want to ask, is it possible for Hennesey to be cheaper in Nigeria than in Yankee? Or any foreign manufactured product
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 3:39pm On May 23, 2023
raumdeuter:

Good development. Some people can opt to swim instead of using the bridge

Why not Jubril El Sudani Bridge?

grin

.....I prefer it named Bola Ahmed Tinubu Bridge [BAT-Bridge] sha.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by OasisX: 3:44pm On May 23, 2023
Tribunal: Hearing To Begin May 30 As Court Merges PDP, LP, APM Petitions.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 3:45pm On May 23, 2023
raumdeuter:

This thing with fake liquor is common in Nigeria. My friend who travelled also said the same thing that after drinking that Hennesey, his tongue was stained black

I want to ask, is it possible for Hennesey to be cheaper in Nigeria than in Yankee? Or any foreign manufactured product

They call it "Oti Apongbon". grin

If u go to Apongbon under bridge on Lagos Island, u will market women selling all kinds of premium alcoholic drinks/liquour ranging from Hennessy, Hennessey VSOP, Azul, Luc Belaire, Ace of spade, Don perignom etc. They are all fake drinks being sold at cheap prices. You will be shocked they even sell some drinks that are limited edition.

In fact there's a market for box/casket of the original drink. They buy the original box and put the fake drink inside. That's where people buy those drinks which can be harmful to the body.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 3:54pm On May 23, 2023
BlueRayDick:

Let share a story.

In order to compensate us for our trouble, the manager asked the waiter to bring another bottle but it turned out fake as well. The bottle was brought and it turned out to be fake. At that point the manager was embarrassed and started pleading. It then struck him that some of the staff ran a racket in the past where they buy fake Henny from home, bring it to work and exchange it with the original they have in their stock.

The scams nigerians run no dey get part 2. this same thing was happening with mikano. they sell original electrical switchgear. so they are patronized by contractors. next thing, staff started switching parts bought by customers.

i did my IT in siemens in 1999 and they had a very very tedious system where a five copy form was carried from purchase to accounts to warehouse to mgr to buyer. the staff used to grumble that it was inefficent and slow - but now i know - na dem cause am.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Theflint1(m): 3:58pm On May 23, 2023
raumdeuter:

It's possible, depends on where you're buying from, and how you're buying...some of these stuffs might have been fapped from abroad, but fapped or not, koko be say na original.

Just like Blueray's example, staffs working in some of these big clubs could be stealing the Henny and selling them to a plugs that resells outside Nigeria in Ghana, Niger or Benin, or even within or out of state sef, and as with most stolen products, you can bet they'd sell for cheap.

As with Henny, so too with any foreign manufactured product that can be successfully stolen.

Sometimes it's also companies getting rid of old/defective stock, and they'd be willing to let them go significantly cheaper.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 4:03pm On May 23, 2023
BlueRayDick:

They call it "Oti Apongbon". grin

If u go to Apongbon under bridge on Lagos Island, u will market women selling all kinds of premium alcoholic drinks/liquour ranging from Hennessy, Hennessey VSOP, Azul, Luc Belaire, Ace of spade, Don perignom etc. They are all fake drinks being sold at cheap prices. You will be shocked they even sell some drinks that are limited edition.

In fact there's a market for box/casket of the original drink. They buy the original box and put the fake drink inside. That's where people buy those drinks which can be harmful to the body.

grin grin grin grin grin

Apongbon na the HQ of all fake Assorted drinks.

Hennessey and Johnnie Walker gat nothing on them

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by ShaqFu: 4:04pm On May 23, 2023
BlueRayDick:

Yes o, If they know their family house can be sold due to their fraudulent act, they will behave themselves and not throw their employer into loss. That's one of the ways of exerting fear of God from people in the country.
Even if they know their family house can be sold if they do something fraudulent, they'll still go ahead and do it without remorse. I'm sure we you've heard of people who sold their family house with their parents still living inside the house.

I've long known many Nigerians are cursed, there is no modicum of truth and honesty in us. The fear of God isn't in them, the only thing they fear is being oppressed and laughed at, that's why many of us do such unspeakable thing just to be praised and cheered at.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2595) (2596) (2597) (2598) (2599) (2600) (2601) ... (4851) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: sleekdot(m), Realtord43, Menemonic, izzou(m), Ihebu4chelsea(m), emitope, Ballzproblem2, User09, Baddmuss(m), GloriousGbola, BlueRayDiick and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.