Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,423 members, 7,836,688 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2596) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1495501 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2593) (2594) (2595) (2596) (2597) (2598) (2599) ... (4701) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Melvyn11: 8:18am On May 23, 2023
How many people the chop indomie for Nigeria may those guys dey generate 1 billion dollars not even Naira annually.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 8:25am On May 23, 2023
BlueRayDick:

I disagree with this position in bold. Dangote cement being priced higher than other brands might be due to a lot of factors other than distributor's margin. For example it could be due to branding and how acceptable the brand is ; It could be due to the fact that Dangote is a market leader like indomie in the noodles market(which makes indomie more expensive than other brands), It could even be due to the marketing/advertising effort of his business managers who have imprinted it in people's mind that Dangote cement is a better brand such that u are willing to buy Dangote's cement cos u feel safer due the the quality product they promise in their adverts and marketing effort.

I honestly don't think wholesalers just price Dangote cement higher because they feel like doing so. Whatever the case may be, Dangote the man surely knows about it.

Let’s wait for Prosper to tell us the factory price of Dangote in comparison to Lafarge and BUA.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 8:25am On May 23, 2023
Melvyn11:
How many people the chop indomie for Nigeria may those guys dey generate 1 billion dollars not even Naira annually.

I think it’s worldwide. Not Nigeria alone.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 8:53am On May 23, 2023
Melvyn11:

Those guys are not just doing Indomie

They are into Logistics. They own MCPL BHN; one of the largest truck fleets in Nigeria, if not West Africa

They have a flour mill too outside lagos, and a groundnut oil processing mill.

Those guys dey chop money outside Indomie sef
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 9:09am On May 23, 2023
izzou:

Those guys are not just doing Indomie

They are into Logistics. They own MCPL BHN; one of the largest truck fleets in Nigeria, if not West Africa

They have a flour mill too outside lagos, and a groundnut oil processing mill.

Those guys dey chop money outside Indomie sef

basically they have done the same thing bezos did with AWS. by solving a problem related to their business, they have become dominant in providing that solution across the board
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 9:12am On May 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

basically they have done the same thing bezos did with AWS. by solving a problem related to their business, they have become dominant in providing that solution across the board

Yeah

The same thing Flour Mills of Nigeria did.

They process flour and oils
They use it produce Spaghetti, butter, and all sorts of pasta

They have a transport section (Golden transport) that handles their distribution too.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 9:17am On May 23, 2023
Melvyn11:

He sold his noodles to Dufil prima. At present no food brand can rival or conquer dufil foods I think it's impossible. These guys know Nigeria more than we do. See what they did with power oil, no wonder they keep investing more in the country.
Dufil even created another competitor out of indomie(minimie) to pursue other brands
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 9:21am On May 23, 2023
iamoyindamola:

Dufil even created another competitor out of indomie(minimie) to pursue other brands

They have Minimie noodles

Na still dem get am
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 9:23am On May 23, 2023
iamoyindamola:

naija ehn. same thing dstv did with GoTV

it is sad sha. there are a lot of opportunities here - but somehow, we do not have our shit together. maybe corruption, maybe impatience, maybe an inability to think beyond immediate chop- so you see different cadres of asians and south africans cleaning up in our markets.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 9:27am On May 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

it is sad sha. there are a lot of opportunities here - but somehow, we do not have our shit together. maybe corruption, maybe impatience, maybe an inability to think beyond immediate chop- so you see different cadres of asians and south africans cleaning up in our markets.

With how weak our naira is, these guys have the capital.

$1 million is about 750 million naira here. Imagine what that would achieve here. I don't think the same amount can replicate that same investment in the abroad.

That is why i would always respect those Nigerians that manufacture here. It's no small feat
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 9:31am On May 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

It is because the Asians have studied how corrupt we are as a people and have mastered our systems even better than us. They know the palms to grease to get licenses and permits out the quickest possible time, they know how to flatter Nigerians in government to have their way and they know how to access credit facilities from local banks and still turn profit out of it(They do this mostly by underpaying skilled workers, work unskilled labourers off their socks and circumvent a lot of local legislations which the government is not enforcing)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 9:36am On May 23, 2023
BlueRayDick:

Can u please share the interview u are referring to here ?

I doubt Dangote is saying the truth if he indeed claimed wholsesalers put almost 50% margin on his products when it gets to their hands.

For starters I know Dangote stopped carrying his products a long time ago. He already hedged that risk by allowing distributors own trucks registered under his franchise to carry products from his depot in Obajana to any part of the country . Most times when those trucks have accidents and people burn them down in the hope of hurting Dangote’s business , they don’t know they are destroying the business of their kinsmen who own the trucks and have it registered under Dangote’s franchise .

For example the risk involved in transporting products from Obajana to Kebbi state is transferred to the wholesaler who is carrying the product ; risks such as paying all security men on the road , escaping robbers in the road and even risk of having ur truck burnt down when an untoward event happens .

I remember a case in 2021 when one truck killed an okada man in Obajana , the youth of the town mobilized and burnt all the trucks on queue waiting to load at the depot . ( These trucks belong to individual businessmen who keyed into Dangote’s logistics franchise and they had to beat the risk on behalf of Dangote ).

I think Dangote is being economical with the truth if he’s claiming wholesalers put as much as 50% margin on his products ex-factory works . If u have a sit-down talk with the wholesalers, u will be surprised those margins aren’t that high as Dangote make them seem .

Lastly I found it very very hard to believe that an entrepreneur will assemble all the factors of production to come up with a product offering to the consumers only to have wholesalers making 50% margin on the final product . It won’t even happen in the most capitalist economies my brother .

A major cost of cement is in transportation. Add in challenges of transporting goods on Nigerian highways and 50% seems fair. A general rule of thumb in retail is that retail price is often 3 times production price. If Dangote produces for N1 and sells for N2, while retail sells for N3, that's your 50% on top Dangote sale price
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 9:37am On May 23, 2023
BlueRayDick:

It is because the Asians have studied how corrupt we are as a people and have mastered our systems even better than us. They know the palms to grease to get licenses and permits out the quickest possible time, they know how to flatter Nigerians in government to have their way and they know how to access credit facilities from local banks and still turn profit out of it(They do this mostly by underpaying skilled workers, work unskilled labourers off their socks and circumvent a lot of local legislations which the government is not enforcing)

i did my nysc in aluminum rolling mills ota. in 2002. run by indians. one day one of the senior engineers had a fight with one of the indian bosses and came back telling us he would leave, "i have 100k saved. i don't have to take this nonsense." i no even think am. as i finish nysc i comot straight. a complete waste of a year.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 9:42am On May 23, 2023
Ibime:

A major cost of cement is in transportation. Add in challenges of transporting goods on Nigerian highways and 50% seems fair. A general rule of thumb in retail is that retail price is often 3 times production price. If Dangote produces for N1 and sells for N2, while retail sells for N2, that's your 50% on top Dangote sale price

Yeah, but majority of the 50% margin are costs Dangote would've borne had he not ceded transportation/logistics out to the same wholesalers. If Dangote did say that, its more like he's setting the wholesalers up for dragging on top money wey dem no chop.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 9:48am On May 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

i did my nysc in aluminum rolling mills ota. in 2002. run by indians. one day one of the senior engineers had a fight with one of the indian bosses and came back telling us he would leave, "i have 100k saved. i don't have to take this nonsense." i no even think am. as i finish nysc i comot straight. a complete waste of a year.

Those guys no send person at all. That's why some Nigerians use them to manage their businesses, I think Dangote's MD is even an Indian/Pakistani.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 9:49am On May 23, 2023
Ibime:

A major cost of cement is in transportation. Add in challenges of transporting goods on Nigerian highways and 50% seems fair. A general rule of thumb in retail is that retail price is often 3 times production price. If Dangote produces for N1 and sells for N2, while retail sells for N2, that's your 50% on top Dangote sale price

logistics costs ehn. so in 2016 we wanted to do calibration of tanks in a new site with water. volume of water per tank was 45000 litres. we had five tanks. this was alot of money and i said why dont we just take water from the industrial borehole in our depot, and use our transporters to move it? that was when they slapped us with cost of 100k per trip. i had thought the cost would be less because na water, not pms. this was maybe a 30km journey.

i also learned about transport costs when shopping on amazon. if you arent using prime, you will find that your total cost of delivery can come to 50% of the items you are buying angry angry
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 9:56am On May 23, 2023
BlueRayDick:

Those guys no send person at all. That's why some Nigerians use them to manage their businesses, I think Dangote's MD is even an Indian/Pakistani.

indians are preferred because they really do know how to manage money - and because if they are stealing, they are stealing with intelligence. your nigerian ceo / manager/worker really and truly has no qualms about robbing the company into bankruptcy, even if he has no job lined up after the company collapses . I lived through one case where the greed of the guy overseeing a project led to a spill of 180,000 litres of petrol. the guy had already chopped money from different parts of the project, but it was still not enough for him. he now had to fk with the tanks as well. i think at some point he agreed with the tank fabricator to swap brand new tanks with used tanks and install them.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 10:02am On May 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

Na naija we they
izzou:

They have Minimie noodles

Na still dem get am
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by hopefulLandlord: 10:02am On May 23, 2023
iamoyindamola:

LFTZ, Lekki Free Trade Zone is owned by Tolaram group which indomie, power pasta, power oil, Hypo bleach, Nobel Carpets, best choice supermarkets (dunno if they still exist), minimie chin chin etc are all under
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 10:05am On May 23, 2023
hopefulLandlord:

LFTZ, Lekki Free Trade Zone is owned by Tolaram group which indomie, power pasta, power oil, Hypo bleach, Nobel Carpets, best choice supermarkets (dunno if they still exist), minimie chin chin etc are all under
I don't understand this but indomie and minimie are produced by dufil
2 noodles under the same company
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by hopefulLandlord: 10:07am On May 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

It took me over 2 decades of living to know that Three Crown's milk and Peak Milk were made by the same company. up till that moment I thought they were competitors and for a long time they were the main brands of liquid tin milk in Nigeria which meant they were running a monopoly while making people like me assume otherwise
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Melvyn11: 10:12am On May 23, 2023
iamoyindamola:
I don't understand this but indomie and minimie are produced by dufil 2 noodles under the same company
Tolaram group are half owners of Dufil.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Melvyn11: 10:14am On May 23, 2023
hopefulLandlord:

The way all their products comes in and moves to the top is outstanding. Hypo bleach came in and floored it's competition. Power Oil came in and moved into the very top of oil consumption in Nigeria. Minimie Chin chin is one of the most consumed snacks currently.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by GloriousGbola: 10:14am On May 23, 2023
iamoyindamola:

it is called market segmentation

samsung was making only the galaxy s phones. then they saw that a lot of people were buying lower grade phones, they introduced the A line. so you can also buy a galaxy phone, but a budget one.

it is a business strategy. same reaso you have a WIDE range of toyotas. and why toyota, nissan, and honda created the lexus , infiniti and acura lines.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by iamoyindamola(m): 10:16am On May 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

it is called market segmentation

samsung was making only the galaxy s phones. then they saw that a lot of people were buying lower grade phones, they introduced the A line. so you can also buy a galaxy phone, but a budget one.

it is a business strategy. same reaso you have a WIDE range of toyotas. and why toyota, nissan, and honda created the lexus , infiniti and acura lines.
That settles it then
Melvyn11:

Tolaram group are half owners of Dufil.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 10:17am On May 23, 2023
hopefulLandlord:

It took me over 2 decades of living to know that Three Crown's milk and Peak Milk were made by the same company. up till that moment I thought they were competitors and for a long time they were the main brands of liquid tin milk in Nigeria which meant they were running a monopoly while making people like me assume otherwise

😂😂😂😂
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Melvyn11: 10:17am On May 23, 2023
hopefulLandlord:

Damn I just checked and you are absolutely correct. The same company owns Peak and three crown milk.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Melvyn11: 10:18am On May 23, 2023
All these companies dey run as legit and correct scam cheesy.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by BlueRayDick: 10:19am On May 23, 2023
iamoyindamola:

Tolaram group owns Dufil, I think that's what he's trying to tell u. Tolaram group has their hands in almost every consumer goods in Nigeria. Products like Indomie, minimie, milo, golden morn, bournvita, tom tom, power oil, huggies, hypo, colgate toothpaste, kellogs cornflakes, etc are produced in Nigeria by subsidiaries of Tolaram group.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Melvyn11: 10:20am On May 23, 2023
larride:

😂😂😂😂
Wait till you find out one company owns Infinix, itel and Tecno phones. They own Oraimo too.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by larride(m): 10:30am On May 23, 2023
BlueRayDick:

Tolaram group owns Dufil, I think that's what he's trying to tell u. Tolaram group has their hands in almost every consumer goods in Nigeria. Products like Indomie, minimie, milo, golden morn, bournvita, tom tom, power oil, huggies, hypo, colgate toothpaste, kellogs cornflakes, etc are produced in Nigeria by subsidiaries of Tolaram group.

Which company wan compete with them? 😂
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 10:31am On May 23, 2023
BlueRayDick:

Yeah, but majority of the 50% margin are costs Dangote would've borne had he not ceded transportation/logistics out to the same wholesalers. If Dangote did say that, its more like he's setting the wholesalers up for dragging on top money wey dem no chop.

Dangote know why he ceded that part of operation. I wonder if it's the Insurance companies bearing the cost of all these burnt trucks, accidents and wear and tear from Nigerian roads

Trucking business is something I actually want to do when I retire from 9 to 5. It's a good business for an accountant to do, because all the revenue and cost elements are fairly predictable within Western setting. Naija setting na anything goes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2593) (2594) (2595) (2596) (2597) (2598) (2599) ... (4701) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: YoungB1a(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.