Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,407 members, 7,861,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:32 AM

EPL Chatroom - All Discussions - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (84) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL Chatroom - All Discussions (1568077 Views)

EPL 2023/2024: Who Would You Say Is The Flop Of The Season? / EPL: Weekend's Results, Updated Premier League Table And Top Scorers / EPL: Five Things We Learnt From The English Premier League This Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (4835) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Oasis007(m): 2:15pm On Jul 08, 2022
izzou:

I think the Obidients should take it easy with the way they are taking this matter.

I don't want APC to win, but if they do, I'll accept and move on. No need to dey throw bile everywhere.

Nobody here is the cause of the rot in Nigeria.
We are all victims, and Indirectly, we all are on the same page.

And lastly, they should stop taking Raumdeuter serious. I don't grin.

If he likes, he should hype Tinubu with 5 pages, he will not vote. I no know why him post dey pepper them

1000 Raumdeuter's comments on Tinubu = 0 INEC votes

cheesy

LMFAO.... no be lie sha.

4 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 2:16pm On Jul 08, 2022
No one here has never said you should not insult Tinubu, Insult him he has said insults dont bother him

“As for insults and abuse, I have received uncountable insults since I joined politics. You can see where I am today politically. I’m a product of insults, left right, and center, that’s my food and medicine. I’m not complaining, keep it up….”-Bola Ahmed Tinubu.”

These people dont want to stop at insulting Tinubu but they want to insult anyone who doesnt support their own candidate

Sell your candidate, others sell theirs criticize Tinubu and Atiku, Others will criticize Obi. I guess that is not fair to them

6 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Oasis007(m): 2:17pm On Jul 08, 2022
izzou:
Can we have another discussion here apart from Politics?

I Don tire abeg cheesy

What's your take on subsidy removal?!

Cc

Raumdeuter
BlueRayDick
Jodera
Larride
Afrodoc2
Ibime
Roland17
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 2:25pm On Jul 08, 2022
Oasis007:

I think I support Amoto's stance.

Removing it outrightly will just scatter this country kpata kpata.

The new government should try to improve on sectors that depend on fuel, and provide alternatives, while removing the subsidy in phases

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Oasis007(m): 2:32pm On Jul 08, 2022
izzou:

The new government should try to improve on sectors that depend on fuel, and provide alternatives, while removing the subsidy in phases

Some big players are milking Nigeria dry with fuel subsidy. Marketers are also doing same by diverting fuel to neighbouring Countries.

I do not want it removed either, but is there a way to keep it clean and transparent?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 2:33pm On Jul 08, 2022
Oasis007:

Cc

Raumdeuter
BlueRayDick
Jodera
Larride
Afrodoc2
Ibime
Roland17

I would have been in full support of subsidy removal if I can trust trust those polithiefcians with the money saved from the removal but we all know its ending up in their pockets.

What will be the whole point? Subsidy has to continue.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by EmmanuelScott1(m): 2:35pm On Jul 08, 2022
izzou:

Why peter obi called it a scam is because of the trillions spent on it, that's suppose to be used in improving other sectors. The f**kin thing is that trillions will still be rooted.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 2:35pm On Jul 08, 2022
Oasis007:

Cc

Rumdeuter
BleRayDick
Joera
Laride
Afodoc2
Ibme
Rland17

Subsidy is an avenue to steal money.

What subsidy in basic terms mean is that oil in global market is selling for N500 per litre , govt buys at that rate and sell it to Nigerians at say N300. absorbing a N200 loss.

This is the easiest money to steal as we have seen many administration is for middlemen to claim they are bringing in oil, bill govt and deliver less or nothing

Those who are familiar with the West African subregion will tell you they mostly depend on the cheap petroleum product in Nigeria to run their own economy. So instead of getting their oil from the global market at the regular price, they will rather smuggle from Nigeria. The marketers in Nigeria will also prefer to sell abroad to Benin or Togo. since they can buy for N300 per liter from Nigerian govt and sell to Togo at close to N500

On the other side, if Nigeria is exposed to global prices, the populace wont be able to afford it and suffer

So the only choice is continue subsidy and give opportunity for people to steal
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 2:41pm On Jul 08, 2022
raumdeuter:

What subsidy in basic terms mean is that oil in global market is selling for N500 per litre , govt buys at that rate and sell it to Nigerians at say N300. absorbing a N200 loss.

This is the easiest money to steal as we have seen many administration is for middlemen to claim they are bringing in oil, bill govt and deliver less or nothing

Those who are familiar with the West African subregion will tell you they mostly depend on the cheap petroleum product in Nigeria to run their own economy. So instead of getting their oil from the global market at the regular price, they will rather smuggle from Nigeria. The marketers in Nigeria will also prefer to sell abroad to Benin or Togo. since they can buy for N300 per liter from Nigerian govt and sell to Togo at close to N500

On the other side, if Nigeria is exposed to global prices, the populace wont be able to afford it

So the choice is continue subsidy and give opportunity for people to steal

They will steal either ways.

The difference is that now the masses can benefit, when it's removed, no more benefit.

If subsidy is removed today, I can bet anything in the world that we won't see the effect. The money being saved will be stolen.

1 Like

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 2:43pm On Jul 08, 2022
EmmanuelScott1:

Why peter obi called it a scam is because of the trillions spent on it, that's suppose to be used in improving other sectors. The f**kin thing is that trillions will still be rooted.

Yes trillions is spent on subsidy because imagine that each liter govt is subsidizing 200 and how many liters do you think we use in Nigeria daily, weekly and monthly, add that to the amount smuggled and we are practically fuelling almost the entire West Africa

When I said Nigerias problem has also to do with being a fairly blessed nation in the middle of extremely poor countries. Travel around West Africa and see how people live in those countries

They literally depend on Nigeria for everything. During OBJ time, one armed robber from Benin was disturbing Nigeria, OBJ closed the border for like 2 weeks, It was the president of Benin who practically handed over the robber to Nigeria before hunger kill them finish

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 2:46pm On Jul 08, 2022
Itsrm:

The difference is that now the masses can benefit, when it's removed, no more benefit.

If subsidy is removed today, I can bet anything in the world that we won't see the effect. The money being saved will be stolen.

Well then if govt turns around and say the main reason why we are not investing in Education, Health, Infrastructure, Economy is because the entire budget we are spending on subsidy. Then what will you say?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 2:46pm On Jul 08, 2022
Oasis007:

Cc

Raumdeuter
BlueRayDick
Jodera
Larride
Afrodoc2
Ibime
Roland17

It will hasten that demise of Nigeria that the US State Dept predicted back in the day. You can't remove that fuel subsidy in a country where such a large proportion of the population is living at subsistence level with no savings. The price level increase would be exponential and it will be transferred from the initial fuel price hike to the increased cost of transporting goods and people, to a general inflation that might be difficult to control.

The other problem is that most of the money the government will save by abolishing the subsidy would not be put to good use anyway but rather embezzled. Security, corruption, job creation, local industries, infrastructural development (roads, rail, power), taxation have to be tackled first before removing the subsidy that will change 100m hungry Nigerians to 100m starving Nigerians.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Oasis007(m): 2:46pm On Jul 08, 2022
raumdeuter:

On the other side, if Nigeria is exposed to global prices, the populace wont be able to afford it

So the choice is continue subsidy and give opportunity for people to steal

To be honest, reality in Nigeria won't make it possible for subsidy approval. I hope Dangote Refinery fully begins operation before end of the year, coz instead of dealing with multiple players, FG should be dealing directly with Dangote Refinery.

Also our Borders should be tighten up. Something had to be done to keep Custom Officers manning our Borders strictly disciplined.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by afrodoc(m): 2:50pm On Jul 08, 2022
Itsrm:

I would have been in full support of subsidy removal if I can trust trust those polithiefcians with the money saved from the removal but we all know its ending up in their pockets.

My point exactly. The money saved will be stolen. Corruption and insecurity have to be tackled first. Then you focus on developing infrastructure that will support job creation and local industries.

THEN you can start SLOWLY reducing the subsidy over a number of years. It can't be a sudden change or else the country will burn.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 2:53pm On Jul 08, 2022
Oasis007:

To be honest, reality in Nigeria won't make it possible for subsidy approval. I hope Dangote Refinery fully begins operation before end of the year, coz instead of dealing with multiple players, FG will be dealing directly with Dangote Refinery.

Also our Borders should be tighten up. Something had to be done to keep Custom Officers manning our Borders strictly disciplined.

The part in bold is in reality very hard when you stand to become a millionaire just by looking the other way

If there is a differential in prices, No security will stop people cos even the security will join them. Do you know the kilometers of land border we share with other countries? How many border agent will you hire?

Its similar to US mexico border where people will be suffering in Mexico and you think Border will stop them coming to US? They will come whether gently or with force

People cant be hungry dying of hunger and tell them not to cross border to get cheaper fuel. Many people wont just die in peace. The same way a farmer chased away by BokoHaram will always find his way to the south whether you have ESN Amotekun or Avengers manning the borders
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 2:54pm On Jul 08, 2022
Itsrm:

The crux of the matter. Fuel subsidy is the only social support Nigeria gives to its citizens.

Also the cost of transportation can make up to 50 to 80% of the cost of basic agricultural foods that poor Nigerians eat, reason why you can buy items in the North and Middle Belt for 1/3rd to 1/2 the price in the South. Whereas cost of transportation will be like 5% of the input cost in the Western world where cost of labour is the big input cost. So the inflationary effect on Nigerians will be dire, hence economic models that say subsidies are inefficient are applicable to the Western world but as far as Nigeria, it will lead to unimaginable suffering and social turmoil if subsidy is lifted.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 2:57pm On Jul 08, 2022
raumdeuter:

Well then if govt turns around and say the main reason why we are not investing in Education, Health, Infrastructure, Economy is because the entire budget we are spending on subsidy. Then what will you say?

I will say the same thing I've said here, I don't trust them to invest in Education, Health and all the others even if subsidy is removed.

They will only have more money to steal. The accountant general for instance will no longer be stealing 80bn. 200bn will be the goal.
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by izzou(m): 3:01pm On Jul 08, 2022
Itsrm:

I will say the same thing I've said here, I don't trust them to invest in Education, Health and all the others even if subsidy is removed.

[They will only have more money to steal. The accountant general for instance will no longer be stealing 80bn. 200bn will be the goal.

What's up with this story? How e take end?
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by EmmanuelScott1(m): 3:16pm On Jul 08, 2022
izzou:

EFCC don collect their own share grin grin
Matter don end
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by kofimoses: 3:29pm On Jul 08, 2022
seankafor:
this boy, why do you leave your house and what's giving you headache is another man's house?

Are you so jobless and obsessed?

I live in Nigeria oo. We have roots here. I'm not just concerned about Nigeria alone sha, I want all African countries to sit up. Our democracy doesn't measure up with what it's supposed to be, luckily Nigeria and Ghana are not part of the countries where one person rules for 30 years in the name of democracy and hands over to a family member. We still have hope that a bad government can actually be voted out, that's why you see me happy that many Nigerians are waking up and actually doing something about bad leadership rather than just the normal lamenting. I won't vote but I strongly support the Obi movement. It has really helped in awakening many people to the process of democracy and that alone is a very significant victory for all of us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by kofimoses: 3:40pm On Jul 08, 2022
Itsrm:

You are correct. The number one issue with African populace and their government is lack of trust because of gross mismanagement of public funds.
But I saw a clip that was circulating yesterday, where Obi said answered yes and no to the question of subsidy removal.
He said that what the government was subsidizing was inefficiency , he further called it a scam and I completely agree with him.

He agreed with the "sentiment" of subsidy. He believes that fuel should be subsidized but it should be done in an efficient and transparent manner, not one where there are not enough systems of checks and balances that serves as avenues for a few people to steal trillions of naira in a legalized manner.
Do you agree with that sentiment? He says subsidy is good but it should be done in a very transparent system.

4 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Jodera: 3:42pm On Jul 08, 2022
Oasis007:

My take is simple. Leave subsidy alone cos no be am be Nigeria problem. I believe There are many avenues to generate revenues for Nigeria economy without touching subsidy. Let them tackle that first and improve the economy before touching subsidy.

Tbh, I don't think we(or any leader/incoming leader) suppose dey talk subsidy removal like say naim be the last option we have when honestly it's not.

2 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Amoto94(m): 3:53pm On Jul 08, 2022
Ground rent is an untapped source of revenue in Nigeria how many home owners are paying ground rents? That's why Real Estate developers can afford to keep their houses empty/unoccupied because they aren't paying ground rent. I learnt part of the reason Kemi Adeosun was dragged for the certificate scandal was the fact that she was pushing for ground rents payments and the big men felt threatened hence the exposé
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 4:53pm On Jul 08, 2022
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by chrisooblog: 4:58pm On Jul 08, 2022
other than serving as a means to provide alternative power for generators how much does petrol really contribute to farm produce transportation?

I've seen some analysis as to why foodstuff in markets cost so much and one of the main culprits was the high price of diesel. So in practical terms how will subsidy removal really cause cost of leaving to spiral when it doesn't factor much in transportation of agricultural produce?

Ibime:

The crux of the matter. Fuel subsidy is the only social support Nigeria gives to its citizens.

Also the cost of transportation can make up to 50 to 80% of the cost of basic agricultural foods that poor Nigerians eat, reason why you can buy items in the North and Middle Belt for 1/3rd to 1/2 the price in the South. Whereas cost of transportation will be like 5% of the input cost in the Western world where cost of labour is the big input cost. So the inflationary effect on Nigerians will be dire, hence economic models that say subsidies are inefficient are applicable to the Western world but as far as Nigeria, it will lead to unimaginable suffering and social turmoil if subsidy is lifted.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by chrisooblog: 5:02pm On Jul 08, 2022
Hmmm just seeing reports that Fayemi, Akeredolu and Sanwo-Olu going to visit him.

raumdeuter:
itsrm

What is cooking in wikeland?

https://www.nairaland.com/7217972/photos-apc-governors-fayose-meets
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by raumdeuter: 5:04pm On Jul 08, 2022
PDP guys are already complaining elder0001 what is happening

Obi and Kwankwanso in the race is causing them serious issues

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by chrisooblog: 5:06pm On Jul 08, 2022
This world sha Fayose and Fayemi before couldn't stand each other now they are BFFs grin

https://twitter.com/AyoOyalowo/status/1545436915410866182?s=20&t=CiXYYWvfz45KqsbeNqf00w
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 5:07pm On Jul 08, 2022
afrodoc:

My point exactly. The money saved will be stolen. Corruption and insecurity have to be tackled first. Then you focus on developing infrastructure that will support job creation and local industries.

THEN you can start SLOWLY reducing the subsidy over a number of years. It can't be a sudden change or else the country will burn.

I just paid a ridiculous amount of money to clear a 10 year old vehicle at the port. The most annoying part for me is knowing the money will be used to finance the extravagant lifestyle of one of our yeyebrities hawking puna up and down to politicians.

3 Likes

Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 5:08pm On Jul 08, 2022
izzou:

I know? grin grin
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Ibime(m): 5:09pm On Jul 08, 2022
chrisooblog:
other than serving as a means to provide alternative power for generators how much does petrol really contribute to farm produce transportation?

I've seen some analysis as to why foodstuff in markets cost so much and one of the main culprits was the high price of diesel. So in practical terms how will subsidy removal really cause cost of leaving to spiral when it doesn't factor much in transportation of agricultural produce?

Correct talk. I been done forget say GloriousGbola informed me there is no subsidy on diesel just this morning
Re: EPL Chatroom - All Discussions by Itsrm(m): 5:23pm On Jul 08, 2022
raumdeuter:
itsrm

What is cooking in wikeland?

https://www.nairaland.com/7217972/photos-apc-governors-fayose-meets

I really don't see Wike defecting to APC but I'm sure there'll be internal sabotage by him after Atiku did him dirty. cheesy

The Wike I know would have issued a statement after Okowa was selected. If he hasn't, something is obviously cooking but I don't think he'll defect.

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (4835) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 / Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.