Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,736 members, 7,955,803 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:27 PM

Share Your First Job Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Share Your First Job Experience (11620 Views)

Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses / My First Job Experience After School As A Lady. / 33yrs, ND Holder Without Job Experience ;any Hope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Oyindamolah: 6:47pm On Jun 23, 2022
wink
Saladdin:
My first job experience was bitter and sweet, as I was exposed to the REAL human character in raw, negative form. And boy it was unpalatable. cry

SWEET in the sense that I got the job as a freshly minted graduate and earning way above lots of my contemporaries, with awesome allowances attached. Little did I know that I would be in for a shock.

BITTER in the sense that I lasted a little over one year because the ANIMAL FARM style reared its major head where some animals are more equal than the other.

I rose pretty fast and accomplished feats (2 actually) which none of my predecessors ever accomplished in the company. I was the least equipped in aspects of human and vehicular resources when we started out and was only attracting criticism from what is apparently no fault of mine, while the rest of my colleagues were given juicier roles, locations and adequate resources.

After a while, fortune turned around and it was clear that I was performing far above my colleagues in almost every way and this attracted the anger and envy of my immediate superiors especially when the Head of our unit praised me in front of them and everyone else. A setup went underway, and I was on my way out of the company, just few months to getting a promotion and bonuses.
I was out of the job and as they say "hunger, an empty pocket and a broken heart teaches the best lessons of life" those factors applied to me, and I learnt my lessons o.

LESSONS
1. Office politics is very real (wicked and envious people engage in it physically and spiritually), and it can turn real nasty if you don't want to indulge in it. I never engaged in it, and wanted to be the easy going fella everyone liked...naive me.

2. In Nigeria, nepotism, religious bigotry and tribalism are real factors that can aid or block your way in the corporate work. It could be very apparent or subtle, but it'll always exist a little somehow. Most of my senior colleagues in a particular region I came from were laid of for the same offense another set of senior colleagues from the dominant tribe in the company engaged in. Again, all animals are not equal.

3. Stereotypes are real! I was able to leave the whole company stupefied because they believed those from that part of the country cannot be that competent language wise and performance wise.

4. When a woman is your immediate boss, start counting your days in that organization especially if you're competent, not from her clique and not ready to kiss her ass. After change of Management, women dominated bulk of the juiciest position. The result was evident, sacking, sacking and more sacking of anyone (internal or external who'll not do their bidding. Also a high staff turnover and disgruntled customers everywhere.

5. It's good to work for organizations with good structure and less vices, but you'll never go wrong if you venture out on your own, for peace of mind and prosperity. I've taken this advise myself and currently working on that.

Thanks...
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Oyindamolah: 6:51pm On Jun 23, 2022
idu1:

wow. Can you tell me the starting procedures?

Nurses thread on travel section is cumbersome to read.
Ability to read is a very important requirement if you wish to go there, because ignorance is not an excuse.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by idu1(m): 6:55pm On Jun 23, 2022
Oyindamolah:
Ability to read is a very important requirement if you wish to go there, because ignorance is not an excuse.

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Oyindamolah: 6:56pm On Jun 23, 2022
abdulwassi:
Please oh someone should help me out, I really need a job..
What type of job?
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by DUBEMPAULEX(m): 7:32pm On Jun 23, 2022
Sha as for me the first time I try looking for job was in 2020 after the COVID-19 lockdown, since ASUU were on strike then. But looking for work was an issue most places u will see they will tell u 10k which is even poor to manage for one month but by God's grace my skills as a web and mobile app dev started paying me. So since then I never look for work.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by blazingblender(m): 9:21pm On Jun 23, 2022
Empredboy:
I own one sir. The mixer and the miller are automated while the improver machine and the oven are mobile. From the mixing to slicing won't take up to 4 hrs to bake 4 bags by one person. Technology has gone far.
For you to bake all night that means they milled in the morning while they rest during the day then start baking in the evening while midnight after the bread had cooled down they then sliced.
That's old school. Modern bakeries done bake overnight again. They close regular time other staff close and start the same time yet they meet up with the day production.
okay let me tell you the kind of bakery we worked
We worked in a bakery that bakes atleast 270 bags of flour daily
So am talking of a very big bakery
One of the biggest in pH city
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by bunmitepresh(f): 9:33pm On Jun 23, 2022
gsparks01:
the company I worked for is a Nigerian company in Nigeria though. Covid prevented working at the office.
Alright,then
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by abdulwassi(m): 9:56pm On Jun 23, 2022
Oyindamolah:
What type of job?

Any legit one bros that can fetch me money.. To be first born no easy oh..

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Empredboy(m): 10:26pm On Jun 23, 2022
blazingblender:
okay let me tell you the kind of bakery we worked
We worked in a bakery that bakes atleast 270 bags of flour daily
So am talking of a very big bakery
One of the biggest in pH city
meaning you guys were producing more than 25000 loaves of 900g a day? Hmmmmmm
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Microwhy: 2:23am On Jun 24, 2022
parkervero:

Say job is a scam not work.
Ok job is scam..
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Microwhy: 2:38am On Jun 24, 2022
IyaTola:
True, so what can you supply to me
Wall lights (indoor and outdoor), garden light (solar and conventional type), chandeliers, decor lights etc.
Just imagine the design and size, we'll make it for you (customise).
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Eastcoastboy(m): 6:22am On Jun 24, 2022
Orochimaru247:
My first job experience was fun, eyes opening and stressful..

I worked in a private owned laboratory in Lagos.. shortly after I finished secondary school..I was 18yrs then

I applied for the post of an office assistant...but I did all manner of jobs.., dispatch, marketer, store keeping, cleaner..all in the name of office assistant

The pay was 16k monthly...later increased to 18k after a year....( After much complaining)...
Although tips were coming on a daily basis..
Most times after calculation,tips were almost twice my salary..( as a sharp guy....my boss was wondering..he was paying me peanut yet didn't complain,...warri no dey Carry Last....

I worked for 1 Year six months

Time was 8am - 8pm.. most times.. I usually work till 10pm sometimes 11pm at night...
Due to the fact that my house was close to my work place.. .

Until I was sacked..by my boss wife..

Although I already anticipated it coming so I was well prepared, I had packed all my CV,my stuff.,so on the day of my sacking..I purposely came late 3hrs late,walked in like a boss.. the letter was served by his wife. She was so overwhelmed, thinking I will beg .lol, me way don collect my salary...I just went in to carry my charger i forgot...I moved...

Reason for my Termination..
I was in charge of setting up the computer in the lab....so my boss wife didn't set up the computer well...I corrected her and told her she got it wrong...na there my wahala start..

She was like..how could this secondary school brat.. tell me what to do on computers..(cause she was studying oracle in school then..)...I told her I have been playing with computers from my early age. She assumed I was trying to show off..or dragging shoulder with her...

Since then she made my work life hell ..

Things I learnt..

One man business is not a good place to work for long as an ambitious person, you might lose your dreams in process

Your boss will always seek to exploit you in any way possible..

In most marriage..men are the gears, women are the steering wheel... where ever the steering wheel turns the gear most follow

Lastly...

Your boss wife is either a GOLD MINE. or a LANDMINE, as an man if you are not sure of the one she is... its better you avoid her at all costs..she can be the sole reason for projection..or depression in life...

****When one door closes.. two more open.....

Thanks

Lol I just imagined you saying that "Thanks " and taking a bow. So funny.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Hamachi(f): 9:20am On Jun 24, 2022
grin
Microwhy:

Ok job is scam..
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by sircatherine45(m): 8:15pm On Jun 24, 2022
I remembered when I worked as a cashier at a betting store. The pay was low, because it wasn't a popular betting company. But then I was so broke, I needed a job desperately. And I was introduced to the job by my neighbor.

The guy wasn't willing to fund the place, or furnish it. The matter tire me. I quit after 6 months.

I'll advice someone never to work in a one man business. Two, always carve out time for personal development. Three, any misdemeanor please quit ASAP, to protect your mental health. Four, open your eyes, like know the ethics of the job. Lastly, never ever skip opportunities, they come every second.

I'm currently a teacher. My pay's not much but I can pay my bills.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Oyindamolah: 11:25pm On Jun 24, 2022
sircatherine45:
I remembered when I worked as a cashier at a betting store. The pay was low, because it wasn't a popular betting company. But then I was so broke, I needed a job desperately. And I was introduced to the job by my neighbor.

The guy wasn't willing to fund the place, or furnish it. The matter tire me. I quit after 6 months.

I'll advice someone never to work in a one man business. Two, always carve out time for personal development. Three, any misdemeanor please quit ASAP, to protect your mental health. Four, open your eyes, like know the ethics of the job. Lastly, never ever skip opportunities, they come every second.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Oyindamolah: 11:25pm On Jun 24, 2022
sircatherine45:

wink
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Lasisieniola77(m): 7:13am On Jun 25, 2022
I have done a lot oo
My first job experience was working as a cashier in a laundry house that was immediately after secondary school, they were paying me 8k that money was very big in my eyes. Later i go a teaching job in a primary school that was i did until i entered the university. During ASUU strike i went to work in Alaba market as a sales rep the salary was 20k huge in my eyes, that was i did till i graduated from the university.
Currently, doing my NYSC in one company as a social media manager and i am like it because of the experience i will get there . All the experience i have gathered over the years have really shaped my business outlook. I really find it difficult working for one business because i always think that i can be a boss of my own. I have all the necessary skills needed.
Mind i have done potatoes business and i am an online vendor.
In everything you lay your hands on, do it deligently and gain experience. Don't stay on one job for 10 years, if you don't try something different , you may never know what you enjoy doing.

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Zubech: 7:38am On Jun 25, 2022
Good day Nairalanders, I want to appeal to those who can help me with a job, my current job as a teacher pays me less, pls if you can be able to help me, I will be very grateful. God bless.
Qualification- SSCE
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by sircatherine45(m): 8:40am On Jun 25, 2022
Zubech:
Good day Nairalanders, I want to appeal to those who can help me with a job, my current job as a teacher pays me less, pls if you can be able to help me, I will be very grateful. God bless.
Qualification- SSCE

Hello!

The secret to being a high paying teacher is HOME LESSONS. Be closer to your students, confine in them, praise their strength and correct their weakness, let the parents know of the performance of their wards. Cultivate personal and cordial relationship with parents and wards. Before you know it, you'll get home lessons. Also be close to other teachers, relate with them, ask them one or two about lessons.

That has been my breakthrough.

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Zubech: 8:48am On Jun 25, 2022
sircatherine45:

Hello!

The secret to being a high paying teacher is HOME LESSONS. Be closer to your students, confine in them, praise their strength and correct their weakness, let the parents know of the performance of their wards. Cultivate personal and cordial relationship with parents and wards. Before you know it, you'll get home lessons. Also be close to other teachers, relate with them, ask them one or two about lessons.

That has been my breakthrough.
Thanks for the info, but I have tried the above mentioned and got some few students but when it comes to payment I keep hearing complains, I had to stop to recovery the ones they owe.

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by sircatherine45(m): 9:04am On Jun 25, 2022
Zubech:

Thanks for the info, but I have tried the above mentioned and got some few students but when it comes to payment I keep hearing complains, I had to stop to recovery the ones they owe.

Thanks for responding.

Renegotiate with the parents. Are you charging too high? Relieve them because of the harsh economy on ground. Send them thought provoking texts to remind them of their debt. If it becomes chronic, abandon the lesson, make the calculation of days you've taught them. Then look for other students.

These parents, you have to be tough but gentle with them. I did home lessons, but them no born them well to owe me. Don't use harsh words on the parents. Remember say Na them go pay the fees for teaching the children.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Zubech: 9:09am On Jun 25, 2022
sircatherine45:

Thanks for responding.

Renegotiate with the parents. Are you charging too high? Relieve them because of the harsh economy on ground. Send them thought provoking texts to remind them of their debt. If it becomes chronic, abandon the lesson, make the calculation of days you've taught them. Then look for other students.

These parents, you have to be tough but gentle with them. I did home lessons, but them no born them well to owe me. Don't use harsh words on the parents. Remember say Na them go pay the fees for teaching the children.
OK thanks, I had 4 pupils and 3 where paying 5k, and 1 was paying 3k, is that price too much?
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by sircatherine45(m): 9:14am On Jun 25, 2022
Zubech:

OK thanks, I had 4 pupils and 3 where paying 5k, and 1 was paying 3k, is that price too much?

The fee is OK.

Are they exam students I.e Primary 6, JSS 3 or WAEC candidates?
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Zubech: 9:19am On Jun 25, 2022
sircatherine45:

The fee is OK.

Are they exam students I.e Primary 6, JSS 3 or WAEC candidates?
No, the three are primary 4 and 1 is in primary 2. Someone here is telling me of online tutoring, is that not expensive to run?
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by sircatherine45(m): 9:23am On Jun 25, 2022
Zubech:

No, the three are primary 4 and 1 is in primary 2. Someone here is telling me of online tutoring, is that not expensive to run?

You'll be ready to get a laptop, data and steady network. You'll have to brainstorm, create child friendly content. Lastly, a platform to host it and allow parents and wards to use electronic gadgets to connect and learn.

It's expensive to run it in Nigeria.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Zubech: 9:34am On Jun 25, 2022
sircatherine45:

You'll be ready to get a laptop, data and steady network. You'll have to brainstorm, create child friendly content. Lastly, a platform to host it and allow parents and wards to use electronic gadgets to connect and learn.

It's expensive to run it in Nigeria.
Aaaah, it expensive to run ooo. I din hands up abeg, me wey dey find money, cause to get a good laptop would cost me good money. Anyway thanks for the info and your time, I really appreciate, I will keep trying my best.

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by IyaTola: 7:07am On Jun 26, 2022
Microwhy:

Wall lights (indoor and outdoor), garden light (solar and conventional type), chandeliers, decor lights etc.
Just imagine the design and size, we'll make it for you (customise).
Good, where you based?
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by IyaTola: 7:17am On Jun 26, 2022
HiideaConsole:
Omo

Abeg no scare me jare

I actually just want to know not so that I can prepare my mind not to join the suffering o

But probably to start taking precautions

But is it really as bad as that nih

Make I continue reading sha

I am no scaring you, ask people that graduated 2 years ago if they have gotten a "GOOD" job, the percentage is less than 5%. Also, the more you keep wasting time or selecting jobs, age will catch up with you and become ineligible for some jobs. Grab anyone you see once you finish service but be on the look out for other offers. All the best.

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Lisaint(m): 8:25am On Jun 26, 2022
Good day to all the Gentlemen and Ladies in the house, pls I'm in search of a job, i really don't mind anyone i see for a start, I'm 26 years old and i have a B.Sc degree in Geography and planning sciences (Second class lower division), i have no money and connections, but i believe someone might help me here with something..Pls y'all should help me pls...I'm currently in Serving in Osun State, i will be rounding up by July 20th 2022 ( this year)
I'm also open to relocation. My Email address for contact is shinaboy2011@gmail.com..

God bless y'all.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 26, 2022
My first job was in uni then.. bbq outfit run by me and a friend. It was fun making some cool bucks then. Na then I come know say poor girls with poor mindset are very useless. When their bf brings them over u need to see attitude. Them dey use opportunity order me around and talk anyhow cheesy They will complain of too much pepper like say na honey dem want lick. Sometimes dem go say e too hot. Like wtf madam it's a fûking bbq.. Meanwhile even their guys and others are enjoying it and coming back for more. It was fun tho grin
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Nobody: 10:07am On Jun 26, 2022
HiideaConsole:
Patiently following this thread

I need am fa
Currently serving the nation. I'd like to learn from other people's experience how the outside life dey be true true o

Because ehn, what I'm seeing above so far is scary
I wish i knew then what I know now early like using my time after school to research and equip myself with what people want. Learn, research, the world is a global village going digital. Go with it. U don't have to start looking for jobs upandan till ur shoe soles fall off. That's old. Position urself to be sought after by organisations that require ur knowledge

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Is That Everyone Cares When It's Too Late. / Are There Still Jobs In Nigeria? / Mainstreet Bank Calling For Assessment.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.