Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,205 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (675596 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (528) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Abby212: 4:31pm On Jun 29, 2022
Thank you so much!!
I appreciate �
quote author=UmmZayd post=114261258]

When you search for schools and you have a list of schools you want to apply to, check through their financial aid page and look for any information on funding. You will have to check every details on that and be sure they offer assistantship. So schools will have you submit separate application for that while some will tell you it's not needed. If you don't see any information concerning graduate funding, there's always a contact information of the program coordinator on the site. You will copy that and email the person asking about funding and any other questions you may have concerning your admission to the school plus funding.

PS: Be explicit in your words and don't assume he/she knows what you are saying especially concerning that particular funding you want to know about.

Best of luck[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Ellantious: 4:39pm On Jun 29, 2022
Please add me to Abuja date search group 08134645555
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by gorgeousnogo(f): 4:42pm On Jun 29, 2022
drjustice17:
The VO knows you lie. Pls don't waste your precious time. Just look for schools that will give you funding. With it, you get your visa so easy.

Can I contact you? I really don't know how to start all over again
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by gorgeousnogo(f): 4:43pm On Jun 29, 2022
itoski:

Sorry for the denial.

I believe he wasn't okay that your uncle can sponsor your program.
Next time talk about his annual revenue from his business and you can even go further to talk about how much he pays labor. 50-60 staff is a lot, so help them help you.

How can I help them help me?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by gorgeousnogo(f): 4:44pm On Jun 29, 2022
CreativeWeb:

1. You didn't mention your uncle's assets and yearly turn over. Having 50-60 people working for him is generic because they may even be menial workers that receive 10-20k per month.

2. You don't have any savings at all after working for a CBN agency?

I work for a consultant. So the pay is poor

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by NigPatriot(m): 4:48pm On Jun 29, 2022
gorgeousnogo:
My US student visa was denied last Friday 24th June, 2022

At Abuja Embassy

I-20 is 59k and all the funding is from my uncle

I am a female and was interviewed by a male officer. I cried so much that I didn't eat the whole day.
I don't even know my next line of action for now. I won't give up hope though. I pray for divine direction.

Here is my transcript

Abuja Embassy

Officer: Your passport/i-20 ( I handed it over to him)

Me: Hi, Good morning ( not sure how I greeted again)

Officer: Good morning

Officer: So, you are going to the University of North Carolina for Information Science?

Me: Yes

Officer: Why information Science

Me: ( I pulled down my face mask to answer)

Officer: (Pointed at my face mask, and said i should put it back up)

Me (Female) : Oh sorry
( I pulled it back to my nose)

Male Officer: Okay, Let's complete the biometrics first. Place your finger....... ........... then after the capturing. He said, Place back the two thumbs, it didn't capture well ( I did )

Male Officer: So, why Information Science?

Me (Female): Information Science covers a wide range of courses that will help me excel in my current job role as an IT research Officer. It covers Information retrieval, Data Analysis, Research methodologies. These will help me get the knowledge and skills that will help me excel as this is a male dominated industry.

Male Officer: So, where do you work?

Me ( female) : I work as an IT research Officer with Nirsal, Central Bank of.Nigeria

Male Officer: So, you work for Central Bank.of Nigeria?

Me (female): No. I work for Nirsal, that's Nigeria Incentive-Based.... . ... ....XYZ..... It is under the Central bank of Nigeria.

Male Officer: okay

Male Officer: So, who is your sponsor?

(he now turned and look at me eye ball to eye ball. I maintained eye contact)

Me (Female) : My sponsor is my uncle.

Officer: What is he into?

Me: He is into furniture business. He has showrooms and factories in the south-eastern part of the country. He has over 50- 60 people working for him. He is is passionate about my education, that is why he is sponsoring me.

Officer: I'm sorry, we cannot....( handed over my passport

Me: I left and cried my eyes out.

Sorry you had to cry that much. If you're a spiritual person then seek guidance on the next step.

But on a birds eye view, your answers are rather too basic especially since you're not on a scholarship. Any question asked should be answered explicitly without needing reiteration from the VO, and always make your story unique to you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by NigPatriot(m): 4:51pm On Jun 29, 2022
Richdee1:
Good Day, please where can I begin from? How to search for schools and also how to apply to schools
I'm looking to study Social Work Msc, any heads up?

Check Usnews.com also check 4icu.org. use Google search and target keywords. Read past transcripts and see students who applied to same course check out their schools.
Begin with these steps.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by NigPatriot(m): 4:56pm On Jun 29, 2022
HaywhyUnusual:
First attempt: Denied, Abuja
Bsc English and Literature
Stillman College, Alabama
Funding: $14000
Deficit: $5,750

Vo: I can see you were admitted into stillman college
Me: Yes (I know I made a mistake here, I should have told her 'yes, I will be going for my undergraduate degree in English with a concentration in Journalism)
Vo: when did you finish high school
Me: 2017

Vo: what have you been doing since then
Me: After finishing high school, I decided to take 2 years off to really find out what I want to do in life so throughout 2018 and 2019, I interned at EBS and interning at EBS made me realise I wanted to become a journalist so in 2020, I took a foundation course in English and the University of Benin and ended it in 2021, after that, I decided to study in the US and luckily, Bleep gave me a wonderful scholarship ..

Vo: who will be sponsoring your studies
Me: My Dad

Next thing, blue paper.....

I was not asked any question related to my family but I was denied because I do not have strong ties to my country...
What do you think is the problem here guys

Was that line @bolded really necessary? You can be truthful but tell the story in a way that shows you as proactive.

Also your sponsor, you have a 14k scholarship why didn't you talk about that?

You easily would have gotten your visa if you came prepared. Better luck next time.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by NigPatriot(m): 5:07pm On Jun 29, 2022
unstoppable1:
Good morning all,

Please I need your advice on the next steps to take.

I already bought a return ticket to travel for my annual vacation next week Tuesday (July 5) on my B1/B2 Visa before I got an offer from the University of Maryland for MBA/MSc Information Systems (Fall 2022) with partial funding and a graduate assistantship.

I have made the first deposit and the school has sent the I-20 with the earliest admission date of July 23 and a program start date of August 22. However, I am yet to apply for a student visa because the available dates are way after the start date.

Please I need your opinions on whether it is wise to proceed with my travel as planned and try to change to F1 after I arrive in the US either by going to Mexico or wait in Nigeria till a date becomes available because I don't want complications. A newly admitted student in the same program told me that she paid an agent for an interview date but hasn't gotten in more than 2wks. I don't want to pay an exorbitant fee to change my ticket and still not get an interview date to enable me to join this cohort. That would mean deferring till January 2023 and the funding isn't guaranteed.

Please is there anyone here who has gone the route of applying for an F1 visa from neighbouring US countries or changed from B1/B2 to F1 in recent times? Please what is the success rate? I know that applying from Nigeria isn't certain and I am mindful of that as well because if the student visa is denied, entering the US on a visit visa becomes questionable because of a change of intent.

I have extensive travel history and never overstayed my visas. I have renewed my US Visa multiple times without issues and do not want to jeopardize that.

Please help.

Thank you

Changing status from b1/b2 takes time, (one year or more). So if I were in your shoes. I'll go for the vacation (since you have your tickets already). Return on time - if you can, since you're aiming for the (Aug 22 deadline). While at this, seek a letter of late resumption from your school (2 weeks post resumption). When you're back to Nigeria, then apply for F1 visa and use the expedited appointment (Emergency request) to get an appointment date

If these odds favour you, you should be able to make it this Fall for resumption.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by victree007(m): 6:28pm On Jun 29, 2022
Hey guys, a quick question for someone familiar with this process.

My sister has just paid for SEVIS using the SEVIS ID from school A.
Now school B, her preferred school, just admitted her and she wants to go with school B.

Question is, does she need to complete the visa process with school A since she paid SEVIS using their SEVIS ID or is there a way to switch the SEVIS ID to that of school B within the visa application stage?
Please advise.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Richdee1(m): 6:39pm On Jun 29, 2022
NigPatriot:

Check Usnews.com also check 4icu.org. use Google search and target keywords. Read past transcripts and see students who applied to same course check out their schools.
Begin with these steps.

Thanks a lot
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by graciousify(f): 6:51pm On Jun 29, 2022
victree007:
Hey guys, a quick question for someone familiar with this process.

My sister has just paid for SEVIS using the SEVIS ID from school A.
Now school B, her preferred school, just admitted her and she wants to go with school B.

Question is, does she need to complete the visa process with school A since she paid SEVIS using their SEVIS ID or is there a way to switch the SEVIS ID to that of school B within the visa application stage?
Please advise.

let her do sevis transfer on the fmjfee website. then fill a new ds160 form

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by victree007(m): 6:53pm On Jun 29, 2022
graciousify:

let her do sevis transfer on the fmjfee website. then fill a new ds160 form
Thank you very much, will do that.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by ObamaMessi: 8:07pm On Jun 29, 2022
justwise:
I will leave this page blank for any useful material.

Please quote this to suggest any useful material that will benefit people.

Sir, it's supposed to be welcome to part 17 not 16.You put 16 instead of 17.Thank you.

@Justwise
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Santanjack: 8:24pm On Jun 29, 2022
Moshkom:

Send a PM / DM.
please can you tell me to do this:-)
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by khoray(f): 9:27pm On Jun 29, 2022
Thank you so much. The new date has reflected on her page.

Abraham001:
Tell your sister to call them or send a mail to confirm cus it might be real or it might also be a system error.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by dzee1: 10:45pm On Jun 29, 2022
Hello House.
Please do I have to sign the i20 form?
Does my parent have to sign it too?

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by dzee1: 10:46pm On Jun 29, 2022
I'm going in for an interview. Pls is it important that these portions are signed?

dzee1:
Hello House.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Doubuzofficial: 10:46pm On Jun 29, 2022
mantics:
Apologies for posting late. I learnt a lot from this thread. Thanks to Fairheart, Schrodinger04 and Horlarsunbo.

Embassy: Abuja
Attempt: 3rd
School: Georgia State University
Course: PhD Computer science
Funding: Fully funded
Date: June 15th 2022

A very long read, you can stop after the Congratulations from the VO. ��
So I have been denied twice in 2021 for MS Software engineering (zero funding). After the second denial, I decided not to go back unless something tangible changes in my application. So applied to as many schools with better application dossier( GRE, Duolingo, SOP Rewritten, Changed Recommenders, Mailed Profs)

I got to the embassy around 6:10am, it's just 7mins trek to the hotel I stayed. The hustlers approached for stapling, told them I be veteran for embassy. lol��

Interview proper:

The very beautiful lady, she just approved 4 F2s going to meet their Dad and husband. I jumped to her front and helped the woman carry her youngest son dragging not move. (Baba, move on time nah).

VO: Let us do your biometrics.
Me: Alright..
VO: Have you been to the US before.
Me: No, I have not had reason to.
VO: What do you do presently?
Me: I work as a software Engineer with *********. My duties includes Applications development, system analysis, coding, testing and deployment. (And some other functions with Jargons as the lady dey nod head dey go)
VO: What will you do after completion of your program?
Me: I will be picking up a role as Senior Research Software Engineer at the National Center for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics.
VO: Do you have commitment from this place:
Me: ( Thank God for @Euler transcript, I quickly formulated something asking @Tumi if it's right yesterday afternoon) Yes, I have been in correspondence with a director at this place and I am aware PhD is the minimum requirement for this role, moreover with my years of Experience in the field coupled with the advanced skills the PhD would equip me with, I will definitely be employed.
VO: You said National Center...
Me: National Center for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics ( said it slowly while she types)
VO: Are you married?
Me: Yes, I am married to a lovely wife and I have an adorable daughter.
VO: Will they be coming to join you?
Me: Yes, my wife is presently engaged with her business but she will visit with my daughter and I will also visit them during Summer break if chanced to.
VO: (Made a gesture of one, as in one daughter)
Me: I said yes, one daughter for now. ( She types)
VO stood up and went to bring blue papers and pink, I was like Mama, no do this nah, she went back to pick the white ones and said Congratulations, this paper will tell you how to pick up your passport.

Collected the white paper and left.

Congrats broh...

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by UZOKEN: 10:48pm On Jun 29, 2022
Hey,

please have been admitted in Fall semester 2022 beginning October 28th please need assistance to secure F1 student Visa U.S appointment date.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Droiydconcepts: 10:58pm On Jun 29, 2022
dzee1:
Hello House.

Your parent can only sign if you’re minor (Under 18)
If you are above 18, sign that part and leave the parent blank
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by obajoey(m): 11:02pm On Jun 29, 2022
If I chose Abuja as location when filling my DS form, will it still be possible to pick interview date in Lagos?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by obajoey(m): 1:40am On Jun 30, 2022
Pls the question on who is paying for the trip. pls what is the answer to this considering the possibility of a GA.
And also the question on have you made travel plans? yes or no
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by obajoey(m): 4:44am On Jun 30, 2022
obajoey:
Pls the question on who is paying for the trip. pls what is the answer to this considering the possibility of a GA.

Pls I humbly plead for help o pls
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by UZOKEN: 6:40am On Jun 30, 2022
Good morning all.

Please can someone add me to the WhatsApp group please

Thanks In anticipation

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Keren12: 6:51am On Jun 30, 2022
Which school is that?
UZOKEN:
Hey,

please have been admitted in Fall semester 2022 beginning October 28th please need assistance to secure F1 student Visa U.S appointment date.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Anastasiya30: 7:27am On Jun 30, 2022
Good morning all, I am new here, please can someone share the link with me so I can join the WhatsApp group(s) for F1 US Visa & Fall Semester 2022 US Visa, I will really appreciate it
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Santanjack: 7:33am On Jun 30, 2022
Anastasiya30:
Good morning all, I am new here, please can someone share the link with me so I can join the WhatsApp group(s) for F1 US Visa & Fall Semester 2022 US Visa, I will really appreciate it
undergraduate?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Joezinho: 8:36am On Jun 30, 2022
obajoey:

Have you actually made any travel plans? If No, then be truthful with your answers...

Have you made any specific arrangements towards your travel?
-- None for now, but would do so as soon as I have my visa approved.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by DanielAJ: 8:45am On Jun 30, 2022
Hello guys, my F1 visa interview got scheduled for October 2022….I have deferred my admission from fall(August) 2022 to spring 2022…..the only problem I’m having is that my ds 160 used for booking the interview still shows an August start date……I am really scared that it might affect my interview….please what can I do?….would having that ds 160 cause an issue?….can I still edit my ds 160 after it has been submitted?….I need you guys help!!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by zellfoxx: 10:09am On Jun 30, 2022
DanielAJ:
Hello guys, my F1 visa interview got scheduled for October 2022….I have deferred my admission from fall(August) 2022 to spring 2022…..the only problem I’m having is that my ds 160 used for booking the interview still shows an August start date……I am really scared that it might affect my interview….please what can I do?….would having that ds 160 cause an issue?….can I still edit my ds 160 after it has been submitted?….I need you guys help!!

Since you have deferred your admission, you should fill and submit a NEW DS-160. Then edit your profile on the CGI portal with the new DS-160 confirmation code.

Finally, print out a new Visa appointment confirmation page that’s having the new code.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (528) (Reply)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

Viewing this topic: EmmyPers, Greatkenny2, Odebiyiabisola and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.