Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (330) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (678789 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) ... (530) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by judas001: 5:06am On May 10, 2023
Quick question. I discovered my DS-160 still has my old Intended Date of travel (which is Jan 12, 2023). Here is a little background about my case. Initially got admission for the spring session, to resume on January 25, 2023, but after completing my application process, I could not get a visa date, so I defied the admission to Fall. So I scheduled my interview since then. Now my interview few weeks, and my DS-160 still has the old intended date of travel. In this case, what do I do, I notice I cannot edit it once is already submitted. Can I go to an interview with this DS-160?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by yinkhar(f): 5:19am On May 10, 2023
Fill another DS-160 and update it on your visa interview schedule. Shikena!

judas001:
Quick question. I discovered my DS-160 still has my old Intended Date of travel (which is Jan 12, 2023). Here is a little background about my case. Initially got admission for the spring session, to resume on January 25, 2023, but after completing my application process, I could not get a visa date, so I defied the admission to Fall. So I scheduled my interview since then. Now my interview few weeks, and my DS-160 still has the old intended date of travel. In this case, what do I do, I notice I cannot edit it once is already submitted. Can I go to an interview with this DS-160?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Jahard: 7:43am On May 10, 2023
Good morning everyone,
My passport expires in November 2025, will it make sense to renew it now before traveling? My program starts in august.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Blegolicious: 7:57am On May 10, 2023
Jahard:
Good morning everyone,
My passport expires in November 2025, will it make sense to renew it now before traveling? My program starts in august.

You can't renew passport 6 months earlier than the expiry date. you can only renew 6 months to expiry date.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by estijaz(f): 11:14am On May 10, 2023
I have been congratulating people since, and now its my turn to share.

*Your latest visa baby in town*

Appointment was for 6:30am (May 10th)
First attempt
Lagos Consulate
Wharton MBA
COA: $118,568
Scholly: $60,000
Deficit: $58,568 (school put this under personal funds)

I stayed at a hotel in Obalende. It cost 15k, but you can also find hotels for 8-10k close to the Obalende bus park.

On my appointment day, I took bolt straight to the embassy. The trip lasted for 10 minutes, and it cost #1,500.

I got to the embassy at 6am. At this point, I joined the queue, but the security officer said there was no queue until the embassy opens at 6:30am. So, I went straight to the front because I can't dull my family.

Then, the security officer told us to bring out our appointment confirmation, our ds-160, our I-20, our sevis fee receipt, our international passport, and our passport photograph (this wasn't used for anything).

Then, we formed the official queue, and went through 3 rounds of security check. My advice is that you shouldn't take your phones, keys, liquid or anything that is not your documents along. I was proactive about this, and that was why I was the first person to be admitted into the embassy.

After we entered the embassy, another embassy official confirmed the validity of our documents, and asked for when we took our passport photographs (don't say anything more than 6 months from your interview date), and then we were told to go and get our biometrics done.

After I did my biometrics, I waited on the queue for an extra 30 minutes before the VOs opened their windows for the interviews. I think this was around 7:30am, but I am not sure. Anyways, if you feel pressed at this point, you can take excuse from the security officer, and go and use the restroom (don't worry, your spot on the queue would be reserved).

Funny enough, the vo that took my biometrics was the one to interview me (she changed seats). Thankfully, I had already given her my great smile and asked about her day during the biometrics process. She didn't answer sha, she knew the angle I was coming from, and quickly said all she wants to do is take my biometrics.

*Anyways, straight to the part you all have been waiting for*

VO: Pass me your passport, I-20, and Sevis fee receipt.

VO: How old are you? (Maybe mummy thought I was 16, and thus was surprised that my I-20 wasn't signed by my parents).
Me: I am 24 years old (e shock you?)

VO: What do you?
Me: I am a medical doctor who has been working as the Director of xxxxxx, which is a multi-award-winning NGO promoting health equity in Nigeria through community development, research, and advocacy projects in the fields of sexual and reproductive health, and childhood nutrition. Also, I work part-time as a healthcare consultant with several national and international nonprofit and government organisations.

VO: Why do you want to go and study Econo....(stutters)...metrics? (me sef surprise for the major when dey my I-20...I started looking for definition of my major when my school sent it... Anyways, to prevent stories that touch, I reached out to my school to input MBA in the remark section of my I-20, and I put "MBA-Major in Business Economics and Public Policy" in Ds-160).
Me: No, I want to go and pursue my Masters of Business Administration with a major in Business Economics and Public Policy. This is because I realized that the African Union's Youth Office generates an annual revenue of just about $500,000......(cuts me off)

VO: I can see you have a substantial scholarship, but also a huge deficit. How do you plan to fund this?
Me: I have an approved loan of $58,568 from Discover with an interest rate of...... (cuts me off)

Vo: Discover, the credit card company?
Me: No, Discover, the student loan company (they might be the same, but nothing concern me concern credit card company when I never enter Yankee)

Vo: Is the loan company in the US
Me: Yes

Vo: So, what would ensure that you would pay back your loans after you return to Nigeria.
Me: My school is a co-signer of the loan, and would cut me off (I wanted to say "from accessing alumni benefits", but I didn't and I don't know why) if I don't pay......(cuts me off)

Vo: oh, your school is the co-signer of the loan?
Me: Yes, there are.

Vo: how did you get this scholarship?
Me: This scholarship given to one exceptional student per year who has demonstrated enormous impact in the health sector of their country, and who would continue doing so after graduation.
Moreover, the fellowship recipient must have a track record of academic success, and I fit this criteria since I graduated from my medical school as a Primus Honor Student, had a GRE score of 325/340, and have represented my institution in multiple conferences.

Vo: What do you currently earn as a medical doctor in Nigeria
Me: I earn a salary of about 279,000 dollars (I claim it), sorry, naira monthly (I could not talk about my part-time consulting salary because I stopped taking up these jobs because I want to be fully focused on my NGO since I am transitioning out as the Director, and thus need to devote every minute of my time to train my successor).

Vo: But that is enough to pay back your loans (Ma, why do you think doctors are japaing everyday, do you think its because we like cold?)
Me: I would not be working as a medical doctor when I return to Nigeria. I would be working with the African Union, and my estimated salary is about $100,000 (I wanted to say annually, but she cut me off....its like she doesn't earn up to that)

VO: What organisation is this? Is it in Nigeria? (ah ah, shey you dey whine the African Union ni?)
Me: The African Union. It is a multinational government organisation that pays in dollars.

Vo: Okay, that's a great dream, but why do you think they would employ you.
Me: Because I have worked with them in the past. For example, I was the African Union Youth Ambassador to the 2019 G20 Summit in Osaka, sorry, Tokyo (I was confusing this because I have been to both cities). Due to the success of this project, I was also selected as the African Union Youth Ambassador to Bayer’s Youth Ag Summit in Brazil.

Vo: List all the countries you have been to
Me: Japan (twice), Brazil, Thailand, Israel, Kenya, Uganda, and Benin Republic.....(I forgot some).

Vo: When did you go to Japan?
Me: I went for the first time in May, 2019, and the second time last year.

Vo: What about Thailand?
Me: Last year

Vo: Do you have any immediate family in the US?
Me: No

Vo: I can see that you have been denied a US visa before. What were you going for then?
Me: I was selected for the Dalai Lama Fellowship at the Contemplative Science Center at the University of Virginia. So, I was going to attend the annual Dalai Lama Fellows' assembly. But I was denied, and I applied again and also got denied.

Vo: okay (she was separating my passport from my I-20, and I knew the good news was coming, she then pointed to my old passport which I had initially submitted to her but she didn't pick up). What's that?
Me: That's my other passport.

Vo: I don't need that. All I need is your new passport. Congrats, I am approving your visa. Take this paper, it would explain how to get back your passport when your visa is ready, and you should take your I-20 with you when travelling because you would be asked at the airport. Also, you can't enter the US until July 7th, 30 days before your resumption. Congrats once again (e shock you say I was composed enough to hear and remember everything she said?😂...It comes with medical training).

*Key takeaways*
1. Early interview is great because the vo would be ready to listen, and lots of people would not have annoyed them.
2. Early interview is bad because the Vo has your time, and would question everything including your grand father in the grave.
3. Dressing doesn't really suit matter. Just look OK. I wore a three quarter jeans, and a big polo, and Pam slippers (I can't kill myself because visa issue is not a do or die affair, plus my feet hurts from wearing heels all week).
4. I am not good with summative writing (If you got here, go and relax with a glass of juice because it would be your turn soon).

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by GirlyLois(f): 11:28am On May 10, 2023
TEMIT0PE:
Nothing concerns the VO with any info you didn't put in your DS-160.

Maybe people dae ignore you because the question funny. No vex.

Oh okay thanks for the info
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Keyin: 1:09pm On May 10, 2023
Good day. Please from my i-20 the earliest admission date is 15th of July and Program start date is 14th of August. Am i qualify to book for EA considering the 60 days clause for student to book for EA?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Kwamentim3: 2:23pm On May 10, 2023
Yes you do.
Keyin:
Good day. Please from my i-20 the earliest admission date is 15th of July and Program start date is 14th of August. Am i qualify to book for EA considering the 60 days clause for student to book for EA?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by gorgeousnogo(f): 2:49pm On May 10, 2023
BigIyanga:

Nope. Be ready to defend why you changed school

Hi, please any ideas in how to defend change of school?
Any transcript?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Deryn18: 8:40pm On May 10, 2023
Keyin:
Hi Keyin, are you going to the University of Central Missouri?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Jacknn: 9:19pm On May 10, 2023
[quote author=Teddiement post=122995293]Send the school a mail or do a search for the school's subreddit on Reddit. You may get answers from there.

[/quote

Thanksss
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by EBUBECHISOM(m): 9:28pm On May 10, 2023
Please which school currently accepts admission for msc Chemistry program.

This breakfast don too much for me

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TEMIT0PE: 9:48pm On May 10, 2023
No, you are not.

Your program start date is 14th August. "Earliest admission date" means the date you are allowed to enter into the US. The 60 days rule is counted from your "program start date" and in your case, this will be 14th of June.

If you apply for emergency now, your request is going to be rejected and you will not be allowed to apply for another emergency appointment with the same Visa fee payment.

Keyin:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BigIyanga: 10:10pm On May 10, 2023
GirlyLois:
Please someone should answer me, everyone is just ignoring all my questions, I'm pleading.
House, I need your advice, my sponsors passport has expired but I need to know if he can still make use of it as I process my student visa or if he needs to renew it?
Your sponsor traveling with you?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by BigIyanga: 10:12pm On May 10, 2023
gorgeousnogo:

Hi, please any ideas in how to defend change of school?
Any transcript?
What is the COA of the 1st and 2nd school?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by damosade(m): 11:25pm On May 10, 2023
Please can I make use of I-20 sent through email or the one that will be sent through courier at embassy
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by yinkhar(f): 11:36pm On May 10, 2023
Email I-20 is acceptable

damosade:
Please can I make use of I-20 sent through email or the one that will be sent through courier at embassy

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by damosade(m): 11:37pm On May 10, 2023
yinkhar:
Email I-20 is acceptable

you are blessed. thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by honeyade: 12:24am On May 11, 2023
Hello!

Does anyone have a means to get the actual reason for visa refusal from the US embassy? Like in canada, one can apply to see the Canadian immigration case owner’s notes used to reach visa decisions, so is there anything like that for US non-immigrant(F1) visas?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by shollay09(m): 12:30am On May 11, 2023
yinkhar:
The Bleep up was mentioning your mom and sister. If you noticed the VO exclamated after the statement because it shows you already have connection that can tie you down in US (not wanting to return).

does that mean you don't have to mention you having a family there during one's interview
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by reigningme: 1:32am On May 11, 2023
In the cgi portal, the EA is not showing after login and this person is applying for the first time . Please what could be responsible for that
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by yinkhar(f): 1:55am On May 11, 2023
shollay09:
does that mean you don't have to mention you having a family there during one's interview

It’s advisable and reasonable not to mention your family because one of the reasons you attend interview is to determine if you will return back to your country. And that is why they ask what will you do with this degree and all sort of questions. Saying your family is presently residing in USA tells them you will stay back and not want to return to Nigeria. Even if na your whole family dey there and you are going for F1 which is non-immigrant visa, just answer no to that question. If you are going for B1/B2, it doesn’t matter if you say yes.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Kwamentim3: 5:56am On May 11, 2023
Contrary that’s not it. I had my earliest admission date to be 18th July and program start date at 21 August but I applied for EA using my earliest admission date and it was granted in less than 24hrs.
TEMIT0PE:
No, you are not.

Your program start date is 14th August. "Earliest admission date" means the date you are allowed to enter into the US. The 60 days rule is counted from your "program start date" and in your case, this will be 14th of June.

If you apply for emergency now, your request is going to be rejected and you will not be allowed to apply for another emergency appointment with the same Visa fee payment.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by shollay09(m): 7:02am On May 11, 2023
yinkhar:

It’s advisable and reasonable not to mention your family because one of the reasons you attend interview is to determine if you will return back to your country. And that is why they ask what will you do with this degree and all sort of questions. Saying your family is presently residing in USA tells them you will stay back and not want to return to Nigeria. Even if na your whole family dey there and you are going for F1 which is non-immigrant visa, just answer no to that question. If you are going for B1/B2, it doesn’t matter if you say yes.
thank you!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Bmuhd4smile: 8:10am On May 11, 2023
Jahard:
Good morning everyone,

You can renew it in Lagos, Abuja and some selected immigration office. Even though you still have almost 2 years left on it. Just try do the 10years own before you travel

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Blegolicious: 8:18am On May 11, 2023
please, my interview date is close (May). i need mock interview. I don't mind if i can send my supposed transcript for criticism and correction. Please can any one help. Please and please
Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by krcboy(m): 8:45am On May 11, 2023
Blegolicious:
please, my interview date is close (May). i need mock interview. I don't mind if i can send my supposed transcript for criticism and correction. Please can any one help. Please and please
Thank you

drop your transcript first.

(1) (2) (3) ... (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) ... (530) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

Viewing this topic: Kentsol and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.