Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,228 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (464) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (684619 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) ... (533) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Light993(m): 4:07pm On Jan 11
crowniran:
Hi guys what can I do differently? I am going for my 5th attempt. My 3rd and 4th attempt, I had a finding that covers 31k out of 52k. However, I am going with another school with 79k+ out of 108k. These are MBA programs. I need your help, thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Sisib15: 4:27pm On Jan 11
I am currently in the US doing my masters but I am scared of job opportunities for my course(rhetoric and Composition) and PR route .Many people are suggesting that I should switch to nursing as that one has more benefits than my course. I am confused on what to do
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by studyless123: 5:45pm On Jan 11
Sisib15:
I am currently in the US doing my masters but I am scared of job opportunities for my course(rhetoric and Composition) and PR route .Many people are suggesting that I should switch to nursing as that one has more benefits than my course. I am confused on what to do

grin grin grin Since you're scared, make the switch, students switch courses all the time.
The funny thing is I saw openings for English Teachers in NYC last year cheesy.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Ellskc: 7:16pm On Jan 11
Hello everyone

I’ve been reading through this thread and I haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for, so I decided to ask directly. I already have a list of schools I am planning on applying to through the common app and common black app.
I’m going for an undergraduate degree.
I have done my research about the process but I have a few questions

1. How exactly do I go about sending my WAEC results and high-school transcript to WES? I have seen different answers and I’m not sure which is the right one.
2. I am hoping to get a full scholarship or at least 50% scholarship, my GPA and WAEC scores are high enough, and if I don’t get it my aunt will be sponsoring me. I wanted to know how exactly the bank statement is supposed to be shown, I know for a UK visa it has to be in your account for a minimum of 29days but I’m not so sure how it’s supposed to be for the USA. I’ll also like to know how much is supposed to be in the account exactly; for example if the total fees for my schooling process is 50k dollars how much is the minimum that should be in the bank statement?
3. Is March too late to submit school applications and get a scholarship? Due to personal reasons I wasn’t able to take the SATs and TOEFL examination last year and will be taking them March this year. The schools I am applying to have a later application deadline but I want to be sure there will be enough time between getting admission and starting the visa process.

Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Denc: 8:18pm On Jan 11
On multiple visa re-application, consider the impression:
- "Is this applicant desperate?"
- "Why must this applicant come to the US?"
["Are there not other countries/options for study?"
"Does this applicant have prospects in the home-country?"
"If 'Yes', why the consistent applications with limited changes?"
"If 'No', why would the applicant return to the home-country if given a non-immigrant visa (F1) to the US?"]
The latter questions re-iterates the "home-tie" criterium which becomes pervasive with repeated re-applications.

Suggestion:
- pause to critically reflect on applicant profile before application/re-application
(extending this pause to weeks/months/years while being gainfully engaged is advantageous to the applicant as it mitigates the impression of desperation)
- address the entire criteria i.e. "purpose", "financing" and "home-tie"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by iffyliz: 3:17am On Jan 12
Please can anyone suggest graduate schools that offers graduate assistantship in computer science or any related STEM courses. Thanks

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by yinkhar(f): 6:13am On Jan 12
iffyliz:
Please can anyone suggest graduate schools that offers graduate assistantship in computer science or any related STEM courses. Thanks

Google is your friend

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by missidy: 7:22am On Jan 12
Nigerians want to school abroad but won't even invest hours to carry out research. Always want to be spoon fed, una think say studying abroad is the same with Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Leftrightcenter(m): 7:25am On Jan 12
Sorry for your visa denial...
From your transcript, I think the reasons for the denial relate to both home ties and school.
As others have already stated, it would good if you establish you ties to your home country instead of the country of your residence. VOs know the immigration laws of your country of residence more than you do and they know you're not coming back to the country. Establishing your ties to your home country isn't just telling the VO that you have relatives in Nigeria. How will your intended program address some concerns in your home country?
Are there businesses you want to establish in your country and companies you will want to work with?
Also, you can get the documents of any landed properties you have in your home country (in case you're asked or you need to present it to the VO).

Regarding the school of your choice, your responses are more of generic. Most US schools are (or should be known) for integrity, honesty, etc and hence these are not specific answers.
How does the school relates to your career goals? Are there courses, etc that are peculiar to the school in relation to your career goals? Are there professor(s) whose works catch your interest and who you will like to mentor you?
Besides, are there other schools you applied to and what made you to choose this school instead of the other ones? You can also state the scholarship award as one of the reasons (if the amount is significant).

Regarding when to reapply, since your resumption date is relatively far and I believe it is easier to get closer dates in UAE, you can apply as soon as you can but it may be better to give like a space of one month or little more in order to organize yourself better.
Also, you can use the 'explain' in previously denied visa to state the areas if felt you didn't address well.
All the best.
Tkulthenoble:
Admin Kindly approve.

Visa got denied.

I have B1/B2 Visa

Intervew: F1 Visa,

Course: MS in Marketing

School: Depaul University

Me: Good Morning with Big Smile
VO: Good Morning pass me your document
Me: Here you go
VO: Wow Congratulations you have Scholarshp
Me: Thank you Sir
VO: You are going to Depaul University, Program 2 years. Lets go through your application.
Me: As VO was going through application, statrted explaining to Him about My program. it is 2 years program with 7 core course e.g Marketing Management, Market Research, Aanlytical for marting and this program and course will help me to grab a position at my present job as a commercial manager, we focusing specifically on Africa, Nigeria to be precise, I will managing the Sales team for contract negotiation and contract Renewal.
VO: How long you have been working with your company
Me: 8 years and I have a confirmation of employment letter right here.
VO: Can I see? then He looked at it
VO: Why Depaul University
Me: Because one of Depaul University Core Value is Integrity and My company number one Core Value is integrity and this speaks alot to me, Because I believe so much in this Value, I believe in Honesty, Trust Worthy and as a leader I work the talk and the Depaul Univerisy is known for several volunteer activities on US News website and this is also inline with me as I have organised several CSR with my company.
VO: Did your company have any confirmation you getting a job when you return.

Me: No, But in our Vendor Management meeting, I have had several discussion and training with the sales department.

VO: Are you single?

Me: Yes

VO: Do you have any relative in the US.

Me: No

VO: How are you going to cover your deficit.

Me: I am covering my Deficit through my 8 years working here in UAE and I have my Bank statement here with me.

VO: checked bank statement and typing for few minutes and why typing I told Him that I have visited the US on tourist and spent 11 nights.

VO: dropped the bad news I am sorry for the Bad news cant see you have intent to study in the US, and He said something about other VOs which I did not understand and hands me the 214B flyer.

what went wrong here? Cuz I have analysed it, is my job not enough as socio economy tie? Must I say that I will be heading back to my Home country instead my job after my study?

Or Did I talk too much? Cuz I see other guys with F1 that got interviewd with other VOs hardly say anything but got approved.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by IjeomaLords: 8:04am On Jan 12
lhello, Please i am new in this group,. my school is starting 29th January 2024 and I have not gotten a date...
could please add me to the whatsApp group for the date search - 07033505538.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Belizas: 12:40pm On Jan 12
Dear All,
Pls I need a guide on how to go about everything without making mistakes .
- I applied for an associate degree program and the school has sent form 1-20,
What is the first thing to do
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Meel: 1:52pm On Jan 12
Belizas:
Dear All,
Pls I need a guide on how to go about everything without making mistakes .
- I applied for an associate degree program and the school has sent form 1-20,
What is the first thing to do

Somatohadidas:

After admission (and funding for those who need it), and you've decided where you want to go:

✅ Request for your i-20 from your school. Some give one or both of soft/hard copy, and you might pay shipping fee for hardcopy in some schools ($50 - $100). You'll usually supply details of passport page, ability to cover cost like funding letter or bank statement, etc. for this.

✅ Get the i-20. I'll suggest you request the e-copy even if the school wants to send hardcopy, so that you can use the details to book your visa interview while awaiting the hard copy. A4 printed of i-20 is acceptable at embassy. After i-20, the next 3 items can be in any order.

✅ Start filling your DS-160 form online at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/ . You can use this video as a guide when filling it: https://www.facebook.com/287980197932222/videos/318718789713853

✅ Create a CGI profile at https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-appointmentschedule.asp and pay for your visa fee, costs #67,200 with GT Bank, and book your date at your desired location if an available one shows.

✅ Pay Sevis fee. You can create a coupon at fmjfee.com but someone in the US has to pay it for you. It costs $350, but there might be a $10 processing fee and people's dollar rates differ. So expect a wide range when converted. To be safe, the payment must be confirmed at least 72 hours prior to your interview.

✅ Prepare for your interview and ace it.✌�

✅ Book your flight, typical ranges can cost from 250k - 400k for cheapest ones depending on location, or go for the more expensive and comfortable ones.

Good luck.�

*Copied*.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Tkulthenoble: 5:42pm On Jan 12
Thank you and I am on this. But sadly closest date is till July 2025.

Leftrightcenter:
Sorry for your visa denial...
From your transcript, I think the reasons for the denial relate to both home ties and school.
As others have already stated, it would good if you establish you ties to your home country instead of the country of your residence. VOs know the immigration laws of your country of residence more than you do and they know you're not coming back to the country. Establishing your ties to your home country isn't just telling the VO that you have relatives in Nigeria. How will your intended program address some concerns in your home country?
Are there businesses you want to establish in your country and companies you will want to work with?
Also, you can get the documents of any landed properties you have in your home country (in case you're asked or you need to present it to the VO).

Regarding the school of your choice, your responses are more of generic. Most US schools are (or should be known) for integrity, honesty, etc and hence these are not specific answers.
How does the school relates to your career goals? Are there courses, etc that are peculiar to the school in relation to your career goals? Are there professor(s) whose works catch your interest and who you will like to mentor you?
Besides, are there other schools you applied to and what made you to choose this school instead of the other ones? You can also state the scholarship award as one of the reasons (if the amount is significant).

Regarding when to reapply, since your resumption date is relatively far and I believe it is easier to get closer dates in UAE, you can apply as soon as you can but it may be better to give like a space of one month or little more in order to organize yourself better.
Also, you can use the 'explain' in previously denied visa to state the areas if felt you didn't address well.
All the best.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Rdfactor(m): 10:20pm On Jan 12
JohnZak:
Hi, I read your response to TWoods and then your question, and it is not incredibly clear what you want to do. My understanding is that you have a curren F1 visa for school A and you plan on deferring admission from Spring to Fall 2024 because of health reasons. However, you are considering School B because of presumably better funding options. My explanation below is based on this understanding.

Because you have deferred your admission in School A to Fall 2024, you will have been unenrolled for greater than 5 months which will mean that if School B offers you admission in Fall 2024, school A will be unable to transfer your SEVIS records (again because it has been more than 5 months since your last enrollment) to school B. School B will generate a new I20 and a new SEVIS ID. This SEVIS ID from School B will obviously be different from the SEVIS ID that is annotated on your current F1 visa which is for School A. If you come to the US to attend School B with the visa that is annotated with school A's SEVIS ID, you will likely have problems at POE because the immigration official will look up your SEVIS records on School B's I20 and when he scans your visa, the SEVIS records for school A will show up instead of School B. Because you have deferred your admission for School A, your SEVIS information for school A will show deferred or even Terminated if you have told your DSO in school A that you won't be resuming at School A anymore in Fall 2024.

Either way, this will cause problems at POE for you and they may not allow you in because of this SEVIS record mismatch in their SEVIS system. If you changed schools within 5 months or less of your last enrollment, you could easily transfer your SEVIS ID to the new school and you won't need to get a new visa because the DSO will just update your SEVIS records and you will maintain your current SEVIS ID. This is considered a transfer which happens all the time when students change schools for any reason - personal reasons, advisor got a new position at a new school and they moved with the advisor, better funding at another university, or they got admission to their first choice school after they had received their visa based on the i20 from their second choice school etc. In these cases, there is no prolonged break in enrollment. After my F1, I did a fellowship on a J1 for a few months at my second choice institution. I was later offered a fellowship in my first choice institution after three months at the second choice institution and the program official of my first choice institution just updated my DS2019 in the SEVIS system to reflect my first choice institution and I maintained the same SEVIS ID.

My explanation above is based on you changing schools from School A to School B. Obviously, if you deferred your admission in School A and return in Fall 2024 to attend the same School A, the above explanation will be moot because you won't require a new visa (you will require a new 120 though) provided that you filed the proper paperwork with your DSO (look up five-month rule for US students online). As I mentioned, they can't do a SEVIS transfer to School B where you retain your SEVIS ID and I20 because you would have been away and unenrolled for more than 5 months. I hope this makes sense.

I realize that this is a long-winded answer but if you want to be doubly sure, I suggest that you reach out to the DSO of school B when you are offered admission. The DSO will obviously know better than I do. Best of luck and I hope everything works out for you!

Hi John, update on this;

I couldn’t eventually travelled to the US as I earlier indicated due to health reason. Seems I’ll need to be applying to get a new F1 visa if I want to be going by Fall. But the issue my SEVIS wasn’t terminated due to “authorised early withdrawal”, it was rather terminated due to “Transfer -No show “ cuz I couldn’t check in since I didn’t even travel. I don’t exactly know what this does to my immigration record, but I feel it’s not feeling good. How do we go about this? Won’t embassy frown at something like this even if I decide to appear for a new F1 visa in the future.

Note: the school has defffer my admission and funding to Fall, and will issue me a new i20

cc: Twoods.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by TWoods(m): 6:49am On Jan 13
Rdfactor:

Hi John, update on this;

I couldn’t eventually travelled to the US as I earlier indicated due to health reason. Seems I’ll need to be applying to get a new F1 visa if I want to be going by Fall. But the issue my SEVIS wasn’t terminated due to “authorised early withdrawal”, it was rather terminated due to “Transfer -No show “ cuz I couldn’t check in since I didn’t even travel. I don’t exactly know what this does to my immigration record, but I feel it’s not feeling good. How do we go about this? Won’t embassy frown at something like this even if I decide to appear for a new F1 visa in the future.

Note: the school has defffer my admission and funding to Fall, and will issue me a new i20

cc: Twoods.

Sorry for the health challenges, hope you get well soon. The letter is straightforward. You will get asked why you did not show up at the ISO... be sure to take along this letter and your medical records to prove that you were not able to for factors beyond your control.

Did you graduate and receive your certificate?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Belizas: 12:21pm On Jan 13
Thanks you
Meel:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Honiejenny: 12:37pm On Jan 13
Naijalarry:

You've started again.

Discrediting MBA and advising someone to go for MSc.

So, he should leave his career and follow the one you want for him?

You've started again talking against funding.

crowniran, don't listen to NewBoyKhashoggi, he doesn't know anything about study abroad processes. He's only here misleading unsuspecting Nairalanders.

It'll be easier for you to get the US visa if you have a full funding without deficit.

You don't need to be a business executive before pursuing an MBA in the USA.

You guys be careful with this guy. I am working with him presently and I will not say much because I am taking this case to the police on Monday morning. I also have his account details which I will also report. But this issue is till on going. When I get to the root of this matter. I will come online to talk about my experience with NewBoyKhashoggi. And if he rectifies his mistakes then I will still come online and clear the air. I will keep everyone updated.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Rdfactor(m): 2:28pm On Jan 13
TWoods:

Sorry for the health challenges, hope you get well soon. The letter is straightforward. You will get asked why you did not show up at the ISO... be sure to take along this letter and your medical records to prove that you were not able to for factors beyond your control.

Did you graduate and receive your certificate?

Thanks Twood. Yes, I graduated and my certificate can be sent to the Nigerian adress on file for me starting from next week by Gods grace. Thank you so much Atwood. I was earlier concerned about the implication that terminating my SEVIS will have, since it’s not actually due to “authorised early withdrawal “ but rather due to “No show”. I also don’t know the option that my DSO selected when terminating the record. The friendlier the option she chose, the easier things become for me, I thought
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Debbieeeeeee: 2:29pm On Jan 13
Honiejenny:

You guys be careful with this guy. I am working with him presently and I will not say much because I am taking this case to the police on Monday morning. I also have his account details which I will also report. But this issue is till on going. When I get to the root of this matter. I will come online to talk about my experience with NewBoyKhashoggi. And if he rectifies his mistakes then I will still come online and clear the air. I will keep everyone updated.
lipsrsealed justwise you see what we were campaigning against.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by justwise(m): 2:47pm On Jan 13
Debbieeeeeee:

lipsrsealed justwise you see what we were campaigning against.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Sisib15: 3:27pm On Jan 13
You should have done your investigationbefore giving him money.
Honiejenny:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by MrSoftlife(f): 6:19pm On Jan 13
Honiejenny:

I hope you didn't pay for the MOCK INTERVIEW.

In my opinion, your transcript is the problem. Understand that you are going for an MBA and you presently work as a business development manager.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by idirect(m): 7:00pm On Jan 13
Hello people,
Please, I need help. I'm pretty confused right now. I attended a mock interview and the information I got is not encouraging at all.
So, I have my first degree in Business Administration and I have been working as a non-academic staff in a high institution for about seven years now.
I applied for Msc Higher Education Administration in about three schools, Student Affairs Administration in one school and Postsecondary school administration and student affairs in another school. I'm optimistic that I will get at least admission with partial funding in one these schools.
The issue is here is that, I was informed by the guys who anchored the mock interview that I should not go to the embassy with an admission that is not related to my first degree. He added that the course I applied for is not even useful in my home country.He advised that I should apply for MBA or something close my first degree. I really don't know what to do at this point please
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Taal17: 8:57pm On Jan 13
idirect:
Hello people,
Please, I need help. I'm pretty confused right now. I attended a mock interview and the information I got is not encouraging at all.
So, I have my first degree in Business Administration and I have been working as a non-academic staff in a high institution for about seven years now.
I applied for Msc Higher Education Administration in about three schools, Student Affairs Administration in one school and Postsecondary school administration and student affairs in another school. I'm optimistic that I will get at least admission with partial funding in one these schools.
The issue is here is that, I was informed by the guys who anchored the mock interview that I should not go to the embassy with an admission that is not related to my first degree. He added that the course I applied for is not even useful in my home country.He advised that I should apply for MBA or something close my first degree. I really don't know what to do at this point please

Biko who are you doing interviews with?

Think about it yourself ... doesn't the admission you are seeking relate to your current work? It does
So why are you confused?

You haven't even gotten admission yet but you did mock interview. Why

Face getting admission and funding first .That's what's important.

To others that are applying...I notice a lot of people what to ' know the result of their exam FIRST before they even sit for lectures'

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by idirect(m): 9:12pm On Jan 13
Taal17:

Biko who are you doing interviews with?

Think about it yourself ... doesn't the admission you are seeking relate to your current work? It does
So why are you confused?

You haven't even gotten admission yet but you did mock interview. Why

Face getting admission and funding first .That's what's important.

To others that are applying...I notice a lot of people what to ' know the result of their exam FIRST before they even sit for lectures'
Thanks bro.
The course sure relate to my current work/experience. I’m currently a Senior Assistant Registrar (level 12) at a public tertiary institution
I’m just attending the mock interview to gain a little experience.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by missidy: 1:57am On Jan 14
False. You can get admission to a course that is in line with your work experience. It doesn't affect your visa. Abeg ignore that person.
idirect:
Hello people,
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by iffyliz: 2:30am On Jan 14
You don't have to respond. When people ask honest questions I don't see why you have to respond if you have nothing to contribute. The folks here are just too quick to brush off people's concern and questions. If this was how nairaland was 17yrs ago some of us won't be where we are today. It's because people shared their knowledge and ideas. I have done college applications but its been a long time and because I want to help someone gather the information that's why am asking. Alot have changed from 17yrs ago till now about US colleges...Please don't respond if you don't want to.

yinkhar:

Google is your friend

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Sisib15: 2:52am On Jan 14
Lol.Visa mock People will just be giving nonsense advice up and down. If you admission comes with funding please stick with it
idirect:
Hello people,
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by idirect(m): 6:07am On Jan 14
missidy:
False. You can get admission to a course that is in line with your work experience. It doesn't affect your visa. Abeg ignore that person.
Yeah I got admission with it last year. I’m worried about the VO and all. Thanks for your comment.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by idirect(m): 6:08am On Jan 14
Sisib15:
Lol.Visa mock People will just be giving nonsense advice up and down. If you admission comes with funding please stick with it
Alright, thanks boss

(1) (2) (3) ... (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) ... (533) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

Viewing this topic: sunspartech, KarisNech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.