Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,115 members, 7,811,135 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (463) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (674295 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) ... (527) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Fieryjay(m): 7:54pm On Jan 09
Hey guys please I need to join an Abuja date search group. Who can help me please? +2348160833321. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Liamsys: 8:39pm On Jan 09
Hey guys, I will like to be added to Abuja search date Whatsapp group. My number is 07058119864. Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Denc: 8:41pm On Jan 09
Tkulthenoble:
I think that was one of the issue today, for not waititng for the VO to ask first but the Home tie, I dont know how I can work on that as I lived here for 8 years now

Wait for the question(s) before responding, keep responses concise and succinct.

Purpose and home-tie criteria not addressed per interviewer's perspective.
Think:
- "Why is this Nigerian applicant in a foreign country going to the US (another foreign country) to study?"
- "Why would the applicant come back to Nigeria from the US after study?"

The applicant's documentation/responses/story needs to add-up per the intent of the US for issuing non-immigrant visas (e.g. F1)

Focus on addressing the criteria.
Sadly, it is best to delay re-application until the concerns are addressed (not just questions from an interview).
Usually, an applicant applies from the home country seeking visa to a foreign country. Applying from another country, while not discouraged and has some successes, has an inherent home-tie concern i.e.
"Which country is the applicant going to return to after US stay?" (country of origin or country of current stay?)
"Why would the applicant return to the said country?"
If possible, a remedy is to apply from one's home-country and demonstrate home-ties viz:
- (immediate) family members
- immovable property
- professional attachment
- community connections

Beyond the "home-tie" criterium, the transcript indicates the need to address that of "purpose".

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by LudaChriz(m): 11:35pm On Jan 09
MrSoftlife:

Most of the people I know who got into GSU have a very high GPA (first class).
Their full funding came with their admission letter (no separate application) and then again you haven't stated the program you applied to.

Did you share with the graduate school your reason for deferring and have you submitted your SOA?

Be intentional and let them know what you are looking for. Send a mail, you might be lucky to even get a position as a Graduate Assistant.

Work on your CV very well to show competency in either GA, TA, or RA ( or the triple) positions.

Is there any instance where one could get more than one assistantship position? For instance getting both TA and RA in the same program? Just wondering

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Tkulthenoble: 1:11am On Jan 10
Thank you, I have immovable assets and my family are all back Home. To be sincere with you even during my interview some ppl that dont even live here that came from neighbouring country were approved.

Denc:

Focus on addressing the criteria.
Sadly, it is best to delay re-application until the concerns are addressed (not just questions from an interview).
Usually, an applicant applies from the home country seeking visa to a foreign country. Applying from another country, while not discouraged and has some successes, has an inherent home-tie concern i.e.
"Which country is the applicant going to return to after US stay?" (country of origin or country of current stay?)
"Why would the applicant return to the said country?"
If possible, a remedy is to apply from one's home-country and demonstrate home-ties viz:
- (immediate) family members
- immovable property
- professional attachment
- community connections

Beyond the "home-tie" criterium, the transcript indicates the need to address that of "purpose".
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by welf99: 2:33am On Jan 10
It has nothing to do with your case. Your DS-160 profile needs to establish your ties in Abu Dhabi, how established are you in that country?
You are not married, you dont have any assets in Abu Dhabi, you dont have long term residence, you dont have a job guarantee that warrant your return to country of residence. Basically all roads back to Abu Dhabi is blocked. Your only ties in Abu Dhabi is employment, this is not enough. What is your travel history like? how many countries have you travelled to since you arrived Abu Dhabi? ...whatever you input on your DS-160 has established if your visa will be approved or not before the interview....

Tkulthenoble:
Thank you, I have immovable assets and my family are all back Home. To be sincere with you even during my interview some ppl that dont even live here that came from neighbouring country were approved.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Tkulthenoble: 4:03am On Jan 10
Thank you, Because you guys are really helpful. Now I see the only tie back to Abu Dhabi is my job which was the reason for the denial, although I have been here for more than 8 years and on the same job.

Now I want to re-apply and take my tie back Home, Would let the VO know that all my relatives are back in Nigeria and upon completing my program, I will be back Home and I also own landed property back in Nigeria, which I have all the documents here. You think this is enough as Home-ties? if they ask what has changed?

for my travel history, I have been to Germany, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Maldives and Georgia. Infact I have a valid B2 Visa for 5 Years. I visited the US for 11 days last year too. Which I mentioned all on my DS-160.

welf99:
It has nothing to do with your case. Your DS-160 profile needs to establish your ties in Abu Dhabi, how established are you in that country?
You are not married, you dont have any assets in Abu Dhabi, you dont have long term residence, you dont have a job guarantee that warrant your return to country of residence. Basically all roads back to Abu Dhabi is blocked. Your only ties in Abu Dhabi is employment, this is not enough. What is your travel history like? how many countries have you travelled to since you arrived Abu Dhabi? ...whatever you input on your DS-160 has established if your visa will be approved or not before the interview....

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by MrSoftlife(f): 5:16am On Jan 10
LudaChriz:

Is there any instance where one could get more than one assistantship position? For instance getting both TA and RA in the same program? Just wondering

No.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Fieryjay(m): 9:54am On Jan 10
Fieryjay:
Hey guys please I need to join an Abuja date search group. Who can help me please? +2348160833321. Thanks

Hey guys please add me to Abuja date search groups please.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by aberyomi09(m): 10:14am On Jan 10
Kindly add me to the Lagos WhatsApp Date Search Group. I can’t seem to find the link on the search bar.
Taofikoy(at)gmail.com
Thank you!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by IgiveLadiesBj(m): 2:22pm On Jan 10
I hear say US don full. How far? I want enter there go study
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Somatohadidas(m): 2:32pm On Jan 10
welf99:

I would say that this is a bit misguiding. You don’t have to establish all what you have listed before you could be given a visa. Not having ties in UAE is not the main cause (of the OP's denial) as you've posited.

I've seen people literally at various places in Europe, even without a job (without any of those ties you mentioned), getting the F1 visa to study in the US. In fact, I'm speaking from experience.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by JohnZak: 3:07pm On Jan 10
Yes!

You are limited by the number of hours you can work as an F1 student (20 hours during Fall and Spring and 40 hours in summer) and not the type of assistantship. An example would be an international student who works 10 hours as an RA on a professor's research grant and 10 hours as a TA in spring or fall. In this case, the RA is probably not doing first-line research but more administrative or ancillary duties related to the research that the grant is funding. As a TA doing 10 hours, you are also likely doing supportive TA duties and not necessarily teaching. Things like managing office hours for students, probably grading papers, entering grades into blackboard etc. In summer, students can work up to 40hours and can work as both an RA and a TA since you are unlikely to get a TA that offers 40hrs, except you are teaching more than one class.

LudaChriz:

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Nnemuka(f): 3:53pm On Jan 10
For someone who wants to study Pharmaceutical biotechnology, which US university offers such course pls? Masters student
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Tkulthenoble: 5:20pm On Jan 10
I noticed the same thing yesterday, I saw guys with no Home ties, or came from another country they were issued. I dont know maybe because of the VO or I put alot of words out there without Him asking but I am re-applying and going back for the interview.

Somatohadidas:

I would say that this is a bit misguiding. You don’t have to establish all what you have listed before you could be given a visa. Not having ties in UAE is not the main cause (of the OP's denial) as you've posited.

I've seen people literally at various places in Europe, even without a job (without any of those ties you mentioned), getting the F1 visa to study in the US. In fact, I'm speaking from experience.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by missidy: 5:21pm On Jan 10
Kindly ask this question on Google, the answer is there. Schooling abroad requires one to be able to carry out research independently.
Nnemuka:
For someone who wants to study Pharmaceutical biotechnology, which US university offers such course pls? Masters student
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by RealAAdekunjo(m): 5:36pm On Jan 10
Join us this January

Faces of Erudite scholars that secured passes to attend Baàmẹkọ's reception. They rock! Funnily, the girl in gele is not even a Nigerian. She came all the way from Dublin.

If you want your child to join the Erudite Community, here are programmes you can choose from:

1. Our 4-month WASSCE boot camp starts on the 2nd of January 2024. It is a 7am to 7pm daily drilling as usual with a compulsory prep thereafter. Your child can participate and still write WASSCE in his/her current school. Fee: 1.6m

2. Our marathon 3-term programme for those who want to join Erudite Model High School from JSS1 and SSS1 also starts on the 2nd of January 2024. It runs from January straight to September. Full boarding only. Fee: 3.3m

3. Our 3-month competitive UTME boot camp commences on the 15th of January 2024. Hurry now to book a space. Fee: 1.2m

4. The 8th edition of our 3-month fourth industrial revolution (4IR) programme also starts on the 15th of January. #functional_website #python #UIUX #projects #scholarship_enabler etc. Fee: 1.4m

5. Our 1-month GRE class for graduates who want to explore postgraduate scholarships begins on the 15th of January. Class fee ranges from 160 to 300k depending on the number of participants.

6. Our next SAT boot camp starts on the 5th of February and ends on the 7th of March. Fee: 450k

7. Our 3-month Robotics, Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things (RAI) class starts on the 12th of February. Fee: 1.4m

8. Our October-November Cambridge A' Level diet starts on the 11th of March. Fee: 2.350m

Note:
1. Except GRE, all the above specified fees cover tuition, accommodation, feeding and health insurance
2. Cambridge A' Level, SAT and 4IR specified fees are exam registrations inclusive.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Honestguy13577: 9:20pm On Jan 10
Hello guys.
Please I need some guidance.
I intend to study in the USA through Mpower Financing.
Pls what are the likely questions during Visa interview, incase someone here has gotten visa through the educational loan option. Pls your input is highly needed.

Note: The loan has been approved already and letter of sponsorship has been sent to me.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by welf99: 10:09pm On Jan 10
You should reapply immediately, your ties are stronger in Nigeria.

It is more than enough. If you are asked are you married?, tell the VO you have a GF or engaged, planning to get married soon.

Tkulthenoble:
Thank you, Because you guys are really helpful. Now I see the only tie back to Abu Dhabi is my job which was the reason for the denial, although I have been here for more than 8 years and on the same job.

Now I want to re-apply and take my tie back Home, Would let the VO know that all my relatives are back in Nigeria and upon completing my program, I will be back Home and I also own landed property back in Nigeria, which I have all the documents here. You think this is enough as Home-ties? if they ask what has changed?

for my travel history, I have been to Germany, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Maldives and Georgia. Infact I have a valid B2 Visa for 5 Years. I visited the US for 11 days last year too. Which I mentioned all on my DS-160.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by welf99: 10:14pm On Jan 10
Read and understand. It is not misguiding, comments only establish areas that needs attention to when it come to ties in a foreign country. He needs to show a road back to Abu Dhabi, he doesn't need to show all I stated.

Somatohadidas:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Tkulthenoble: 10:57pm On Jan 10
Thank you

welf99:
You should reapply immediately, your ties are stronger in Nigeria.

It is more than enough. If you are asked are you married?, tell the VO you have a GF or engaged, planning to get married soon.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by JohnZak: 12:19am On Jan 11
[/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by LudaChriz(m): 12:49am On Jan 11
JohnZak:
Yes!

You are limited by the number of hours you can work as an F1 student (20 hours during Fall and Spring and 40 hours in summer) and not the type of assistantship. An example would be an international student who works 10 hours as an RA on a professor's research grant and 10 hours as a TA in spring or fall. In this case, the RA is probably not doing first-line research but more administrative or ancillary duties related to the research that the grant is funding. As a TA doing 10 hours, you are also likely doing supportive TA duties and not necessarily teaching. Things like managing office hours for students, probably grading papers, entering grades into blackboard etc. In summer, students can work up to 40hours and can work as both an RA and a TA since you are unlikely to get a TA that offers 40hrs, except you are teaching more than one class.

Perfectly explained

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Denc: 3:08am On Jan 11
Honestguy13577:
Hello guys.
Please I need some guidance.
I intend to study in the USA through Mpower Financing.
Pls what are the likely questions during Visa interview, incase someone here has gotten visa through the educational loan option. Pls your input is highly needed.

Note: The loan has been approved already and letter of sponsorship has been sent to me.

Thanks.

Student debt is of considerable concern in the US.
Moreover, feedback from some interviewees suggests that MPOWER Financing is not regarded at visa interviews.
The criterium here is "financing":
- cost of attendance in the US,
- transportation to US and return to Nigeria.
Barring the reputation of the financier, the concern around loan financing for study is that the loan amount and terms has to reasonable vis-a-vis the possibility and timing of getting source(s) of income post-study to repay the principal and interest. That is what the financing questions would hinge on.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) ... (527) (Reply)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

Viewing this topic: olajide2428(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.