Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,837 members, 7,828,054 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 - Travel (492) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 (694820 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) ... (539) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by OyoTunjiUSA(m): 6:35am On Mar 10
Leojideofor97:
Greetings everyone. I am new on this platform. I got referred here by my brother who is currently in the U.S. I am a B.Sc holder in Geology. I intend to go for my Master's program if possibly after service..No insults please 🙏🙏, I really need recommendations on how to go about it.. Any advice will be very much appreciated 👍👍

Hey 🤠

** A Bsc holder asking questions in a public forum for the first time with a sarcastic jab ( No insult please 🙏🙏) .

Best Wishes 🙏
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Localboy48: 6:54am On Mar 10
Nozino:

UF is rated higher than UMD although UMD has one of the best CS programs. You should look at where you want to live for 3years, cost of living, program fit, etc

Is this a joke? Or do you mean UMBC or UMD? If you mean UF ranks higher than UMBC, you’ll be right. But University of Maryland ,College park (UMD) is no UF mate. University of Maryland Baltimore county (UMBC) and UMD are both in Maryland however.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by MrSoftlife(f): 7:51am On Mar 10
Leojideofor97:
Greetings everyone. I am new on this platform. I got referred here by my brother who is currently in the U.S. I am a B.Sc holder in Geology. I intend to go for my Master's program if possibly after service..No insults please 🙏🙏, I really need recommendations on how to go about it.. Any advice will be very much appreciated 👍👍

If you have a good GPA look into the University of Permian Basin.

Shalom!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by USAfall2024: 8:25am On Mar 10
Slimszy:
Hello!

I got a full funding and GA from these schools - University of Florida and University of Maryland, now I am at a crossroad of accepting one.

Which has a lower cost of living and opportunities. BTW, I am studying MFA - Painting

Localboy48:

Is this a joke? Or do you mean UMBC or UMD? If you mean UF ranks higher than UMBC, you’ll be right. But University of Maryland ,College park (UMD) is no UF mate. University of Maryland Baltimore county (UMBC) and UMD are both in Maryland however.

I think he used their national college rankings on USnews or other websites to compare. But I believe UMD is more prestigious than UF. A comparison of their tuition cost, alumni network, average post-graduation salary, faculty size/ratio etc. puts UMD higher than UF. But well, opinions defers, so no one is absolutely right or wrong.

Congrats, Slimzy! It's a thing of joy to be in your situation: having the opportunity of picking between two great offers. I will advise you to make your personal research and add with opinions you get here (and/or other forums) then go with your intuition. Wish you success in the next stage (Visa Interview) and a safe journey to Florida/Maryland🙏🏽.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by ijmildy: 8:54am On Mar 10
fearlessfang:
[sub][/sub] There are schools in the U.S. you can get MBA for $14,000 for the full program and also $19,000 for the full program.

Why don’t want to go to a school you cannot afford?

I can afford the school. I mentioned that I can even pay the deficit before I-20 is issued. My concern is how to go about visa with such deficit…
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Localboy48: 9:20am On Mar 10
USAfall2024:

I think he used their national college rankings on USnews or other websites to compare. But I believe UMD is more prestigious than UF. A comparison of their tuition cost, alumni network, average post-graduation salary, faculty size/ratio etc. puts UMD higher than UF. But well, opinions defers, so no one is absolutely right or wrong.

Congrats, Slimzy! It's a thing of joy to be in your situation: having the opportunity of picking between two great offers. I will advise you to make your personal research and add with opinions you get here (and/or other forums) then go with your intuition. Wish you success in the next stage (Visa Interview) and a safe journey to Florida/Maryland🙏🏽.

National college ranking: UMD (46). UF (98)

Base on location however, Gainesville where UF is located might be more safe in term of security than UMD location in college park (college park is still safer than we’re UMBC is located in Baltimore). However, Gainesville is quite boring, and there is really not much going on there.. u can’t compare Gainesville to Miami, Orlando and some other places in orange county FL. Better opportunities too in Orlando and Miami than Gainesville (in fact nowadays, Miami-Orlando is only an hr+ train away as a private transport company just have their train service recently)… so it really his choice. I prefer Florida due to better opportunities after graduation just that schools in Florida don’t pay as much and cost of living is insanely high in FL

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Debbieeeeeee: 9:34am On Mar 10
ijmildy:

I can afford the school. I mentioned that I can even pay the deficit before I-20 is issued. My concern is how to go about visa with such deficit…
Then show the funds in your account to the school to get your I- 20 and also show the funds in your account to the visa officer who interviews you. If you can afford it then no need for a loan.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Nozino: 12:55pm On Mar 10
Localboy48:

I rate it higher. So personal bias?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by ijmildy: 1:36pm On Mar 10
Debbieeeeeee:

Then show the funds in your account to the school to get your I- 20 and also show the funds in your account to the visa officer who interviews you. If you can afford it then no need for a loan.

Same thing I wish to do but people mentioned here that their statements weren’t looked at. But I will do just that either way. Hopefully they’d understand that the variance isn’t an issue.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Debbieeeeeee: 3:11pm On Mar 10
ijmildy:

Same thing I wish to do but people mentioned here that their statements weren’t looked at. But I will do just that either way. Hopefully they’d understand that the variance isn’t an issue.
Yes the embassy may not take a look at your statement but if that’s your source of funding then take it to your interview. They may ask questions around the funds by word of mouth and not request to see while some may request to see. It is not a problem to have money to sponsor yourself, it’s a flex.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Localboy48: 3:25pm On Mar 10
Nozino:

I rate it higher. So personal bias?

Well, I mean, if that is what is, then you’d be right
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by NeonDee(m): 3:41pm On Mar 10
miscoe:
MSc

That's niceeeeee
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Goodness706: 4:39pm On Mar 10
Good evening everyone!
I did applied to a University in the USA for MSC and I was given. To cut the long story short, I have personally followed the process up to the level of entering my Visa application, however I have some few clarifications before entering some information on my DS-160 form online.
For the purpose of visa interview and consideration for approval;
1. Would it be proper for me to fill that I have record of been trained in fire arm and that I am retired from the military service?
2. Would it be proper to choose "Retired" where the question in respect of where I currently work comes up since I am truly retired but still developing myself academically and doing some remote work. Would it not be a red flag that I am retired and not currently working in my country home.
3. Is it proper to indicate that I have relatives in the US since I have close relatives there?
4. Moreso,I got loan approval to cover my tuition and living expenses for a session including a supporting statement of account from a sponsor. My question is which of the two is more appropriate to fill in as the person paying for my trip?

Contributions from experienced individuals on this subject is highly needed.

Thanks for your responses in advance.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Sisib15: 4:47pm On Mar 10
I don't think that's a problem. Since its a phd program, i will advise you go with your wife and all your kids for the visa interview and aside frtom your funding, explain how you will cater for them too. Another important thing is that they coming by themselves later on may be tricky and not feasible.So go withyour family. And try to get an earlier date so that if it doesn't work you alone can now go for the interview.
linsa01:
Hello,

Please I need your sincere advice on my case. I'm a newly admitted PhD student. I've 100% funding and Assistantship. On my New Student Information Form (the form is to be used to generate my i-20), I've an excess of $9564 of funding. Meanwhile, POF per dependant for my school is $7k. I've the opportunity to use my excess funding to sponsor a dependant and I'm thinking of including my wife as a dependant on F2 visa.

My fear, however is that I've three children and a foster daughter. They are not going with us, atleast for now.

My Question: Will my situation be favourable given that my children will be back home? I need your inputs and sincere opinions. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by chaiks: 9:45pm On Mar 10
Exactly
Nozino:

Wait for the official offer and see the amount of funding you get. It looks positive tho. Congrats
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by ARISTOCRATDAMMY1(m): 9:47pm On Mar 10
Are there any individuals currently enrolled at Missouri State University or residing in South Dakota? I am interested in gathering information about job prospects for international students in these locations.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Escobar98(m): 9:53pm On Mar 10
Hello everyone! I recently got admitted to American University for MA Political Science. The drill is, I have to take 33 credits, and the cost per credit is $1922. That’s $63, 426. They’re giving me a tuition remission of $1222 per credit taken, that’s $40, 326 scholarship. I also have a 10 hour/week GA totaling $10,560, that makes the whole scholarship $50, 910 for the total scholarship. And there is a tuition deficit of $13k plus. This school is in Washington DC and the living expenses high asf. What do you advise? Taking mpower loan of $30k plus will settle the tuition but will not settle everything. What do you all think? Please don’t ignore because I don’t want to waste my $250 deposit.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Escobar98(m): 9:56pm On Mar 10
Escobar98:
Hello everyone! I recently got admitted to American University for MA Political Science. The drill is, I have to take 33 credits, and the cost per credit is $1922. That’s $63, 426. They’re giving me a tuition remission of $1222 per credit taken, that’s $40, 326 scholarship. I also have a 10 hour/week GA totaling $10,560, that makes the whole scholarship $50, 910 for the total scholarship. And there is a tuition deficit of $13k plus. This school is in Washington DC and the living expenses high asf. What do you advise? Taking mpower loan of $30k plus will settle the tuition but will not settle everything. What do you all think? Please don’t ignore because I don’t want to waste my $250 deposit.
please don’t ignore

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Escobar98(m): 10:07pm On Mar 10
Escobar98:
please don’t ignore
This are the living expenses for two semesters. I’ll be spending four. What are the ways around it?

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by fearlessfang: 10:37pm On Mar 10
Escobar98:
please don’t ignore
are you asking about embassy interview? Or what exactly are you looking to hear? What are your questions
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Escobar98(m): 10:45pm On Mar 10
fearlessfang:
are you asking about embassy interview? Or what exactly are you looking to hear? What are your questions
Thanks for the response, I need to know my fate at the embassy and secondly how do people in such situations cope abroad?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by fearlessfang: 11:28pm On Mar 10
Escobar98:

Thanks for the response, I need to know my fate at the embassy and secondly how do people in such situations cope abroad?
If you have your money you should be fine. Before you applied to the school you know it is a private school located in one of the most expensive cities in America. Not like you’re oblivious of these facts.

If you have proof of funds and you can prove to the visa officer that you are a genuine student who wants to go to America and study and return back to Nigeria after studies you should be fine.

I know most school do not refund the $250 deposit just like MBA program for Georgia State University.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Nozino: 11:49pm On Mar 10
Escobar98:

Is the school Catholic uni? If yes, I’d consider my other options.

Edit: it isn’t CUA. After scholarships and GA deduction, what is the deficit?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Escobar98(m): 1:16am On Mar 11
Nozino:

Is the school Catholic uni? If yes, I’d consider my other options.

Edit: it isn’t CUA. After scholarships and GA deduction, what is the deficit?

The deficit is $21k.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by adelawry(m): 1:58am On Mar 11
Slimszy:
Hello!

I got a full funding and GA from these schools - University of Florida and University of Maryland, now I am at a crossroad of accepting one.

Which has a lower cost of living and opportunities. BTW, I am studying MFA - Painting

Hey!
Congratulations on your acceptance. First, I will make my recommendations for what you should look out for when you have two competitive offers.
1. The program at the University, sometimes schools may rank higher, but specific programs may be better in a lower ranked school. E.g. John Hopkins is seen as the No 1 Medical school but it's no where near Harvard or Stamford in general University ranking.
2. The University ranking. It is important. Without looking at Us.news. I know for a fact that UF is a better school in terms of University ranking. UF has maintained top 5 public schools in America for a long time (among top publics like UC Berkley, UCLA, UMichigan, UVirginia, UNC Chapel Hill) It was recently ranked No 1 Public school by wallstreet. UMaryland is private school but still not higher than UF in national ranking. Do a quick research yourself.
3. The alumni network is a big factor, UF has a very strong alumni network - Gator Nation. I cannot overstate how important this can be until you graduate.
4. Opportunities in school and after school. The professors, the quality of students, what you would be exposed to in school, where their graduate end up after school. Just to add UF is located few hours from Orlando, which housed Disney world, Universal Studio, Sea world and the likes, saying this cos your degree is in painting or fine art.
5. Money, Funding, cost of living. Putting all these together but it matters when the two options are very close in terms of ranking and opportunities. Cost of living is higher in college park than in Gainesville, Florida is not really cheap but Gainesville isnt crazily expensive. However, Maryland is close to DC few hours to Philly and New York.
Finally, I will recommend you speak with current students in both schools to also get first hand information. If you want to chat about UF, you can send a DM. I can also link you up with current students in UMaryland, got friends there. Goodluck with your decision.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by adelawry(m): 2:06am On Mar 11
Localboy48:

It is NO joke! UF ranks by far better than UMD. I do not need to look at usnews.com to know this. UF is the flagship university in Florida. It ranks among the top 5 public schools in America, ranked No1 Pubic school by Wallstreet journal. No 1 school in America for best value for money. Even a blind man will tell you UF is not UMD mate.
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Escobar98(m): 2:52am On Mar 11
Adukeadeomooba:

Lagos Embassy
Funding : 30,000
Deficit : 39,459 (personal savings and family)
Current job: Research Assistant at IITA
American University
White lady

The bald headed guy was dashing blue paper up to 25 back to back. He gave about 2 people sha.

Vo: pass i20
Me: there you go

Vo: Alot of people are going to this university why?
Me: i guess its a top notch uni and students want to enjoy the educational value they have to offer

Vo: what do you do
Me. I’m a research assistant at iita in ibadan and my rolea includes.......

Vo; i see you studied in the Uk before, why US now.
Me. US will give me the added value to be promoted to the role of research fellow in my department at my present employment

Vo: tell me about your funding
Me. Asides the 30k scholarship i will be paying the deficit with from my personal savings and my mum will sponsor the rest.

Vo; what does she do
Me. She’s a marketing manager at hhhhhh
And she makes 7.5m.
She also has properties that were willed to her by my father (actually tru) and the total annual rent is 50m (I started to starmer dunno why)

Vo: do u have her account statements
I passed it to

Sorry you are not eligible at this time

Hi! Did you retry? Got admitted into the same school and would be trying my luck!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by fearlessfang: 3:27am On Mar 11
TIPS!

1. Do not present documents except you’re specifically asked by the VO. Presenting documents you’re not asked is a sign of desperation.
2. Avoid talking too much and stick to the questions being asked. E.g who will be sponsoring your trip? “My assistantship/ scholarship will be covering x-amount and my parents/me/uncle/company will cover the deficit.

Do not start rambling about how much your parents or uncle makes or what they do or where they work except you are specifically asked. Going further to spew such information is a clear sign of desperation.

3. Don’t sound robotic or like someone who crammed the answer to all the questions.
4. Maintain eye contact and answer questions in a succinct concise way.
5. If you are anxious or have anxiety during interview. Coping skill you can use is to hold firm to a pen or key or anything you can fit in your palm.
6. Avoid talking too much at the venue, it would drain you out. A lot of people are filled with negative news that would throw you off.
7. Go through a lot of interview transcripts and craft a compelling concise response to likely interview questions.
8. Be brave and don’t let anything move you or build fear in you. There is nothing extra ordinary about visa officers.

Go and secure your visa. If you don’t make it at first try, go again.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by fearlessfang: 3:30am On Mar 11
adelawry:

It is NO joke! UF ranks by far better than UMD. I do not need to look at usnews.com to know this. UF is the flagship university in Florida. It ranks among the top 5 public schools in America, ranked No1 Pubic school by Wallstreet journal. No 1 school in America for best value for money. Even a blind man will tell you UF is not UMD mate.
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities.
Absolutely correct! I would go with UF.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Debbieeeeeee: 7:20am On Mar 11
adelawry:

Hey!
Congratulations on your acceptance. First, I will make my recommendations for what you should look out for when you have two competitive offers.
1. The program at the University, sometimes schools may rank higher, but specific programs may be better in a lower ranked school. E.g. John Hopkins is seen as the No 1 Medical school but it's no where near Harvard or Stamford in general University ranking.
2. The University ranking. It is important. Without looking at Us.news. I know for a fact that UF is a better school in terms of University ranking. UF has maintained top 5 public schools in America for a long time (among top publics like UC Berkley, UCLA, UMichigan, UVirginia, UNC Chapel Hill) It was recently ranked No 1 Public school by wallstreet. UMaryland is private school but still not higher than UF in national ranking. Do a quick research yourself.
3. The alumni network is a big factor, UF has a very strong alumni network - Gator Nation. I cannot overstate how important this can be until you graduate.
4. Opportunities in school and after school. The professors, the quality of students, what you would be exposed to in school, where their graduate end up after school. Just to add UF is located few hours from Orlando, which housed Disney world, Universal Studio, Sea world and the likes, saying this cos your degree is in painting or fine art.
5. Money, Funding, cost of living. Putting all these together but it matters when the two options are very close in terms of ranking and opportunities. Cost of living is higher in college park than in Gainesville, Florida is not really cheap but Gainesville isnt crazily expensive. However, Maryland is close to DC few hours to Philly and New York.
Finally, I will recommend you speak with current students in both schools to also get first hand information. If you want to chat about UF, you can send a DM. I can also link you up with current students in UMaryland, got friends there. Goodluck with your decision.

Your perspective makes a lot of sense, and you've expressed exactly what I've been thinking. Personally, I'll consider the program ranking in that school compared to others.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 by Nozino: 10:36am On Mar 11
Escobar98:

The deficit is $21k.

I don’t believe it is too much if you can afford it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) ... (539) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.