Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,506 members, 7,823,186 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:08 AM

Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) (60030 Views)

The Jollof And Fried Rice With Moi-Moi I Bought ₦4100. / The Squirrel We Hunted In My Hometown In Eastern Region (Ghana) / Garri And Fried Fish Served At A Wedding In Lagos! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by Hermionegranger(f): 12:53pm On Jul 07, 2022
TheStakeHolder:
Sapa induced diet.

May God save us all from poverty...

lipsrsealed
On the contrary, termites are very expensive
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by JonJozzy: 12:58pm On Jul 07, 2022
EmekaBlue:
Shinge

T
Yes ooo. In the north, we call it chinge.

At home, we put on the florescent light which attracts the chinge. You then position a big bowl of water below the light to trap them
Next day in School, women prepare and bring it to school and students buy during break.

1 Like

Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by CedarHoldings: 1:00pm On Jul 07, 2022
Zico777:

Ol boy 4get! it's very nutritious & delicious.
I have seen it been sold in a supermarket in Abuja.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by 8stargeneral: 1:01pm On Jul 07, 2022
Very nice...remember when we hunt it during d season
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by lifenija: 1:02pm On Jul 07, 2022
TheStakeHolder:
Sapa induced diet.

lipsrsealed
its a delicacy
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by Chopchopfine: 1:04pm On Jul 07, 2022
I miss eating this, I usually take it to school with me. This is highly proteinous
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by CulturedGotahia: 1:06pm On Jul 07, 2022
grin grin grin
VeryWickedGoat:
If you can eat this then you can eat cockroaches.
Stop pretending and go for it. We nor judge you.
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by SeriouslySense(m): 1:07pm On Jul 07, 2022
I have eaten it many times before, it has lots of proteins, and has a white substance inside it.

Usually its fried.
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by jimyjames(m): 1:08pm On Jul 07, 2022
VeryWickedGoat:
If you can eat this then you can eat cockroaches.
Stop pretending and go for it. We nor judge you.
The two are not related in anyway

1 Like

Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by FlipModeSquade(m): 1:08pm On Jul 07, 2022
TheStakeHolder:
Sapa induced diet.

lipsrsealed
Buying it in the market is not for the shallow pockets..
This is a delicacy,nothing to do with poverty..

1 Like

Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by CulturedGotahia: 1:09pm On Jul 07, 2022
You are right!!
This is a nutritious snack. If Nigeria is a Production nation, this is supposed to one of our best selling indigenous snack and even export
Kobojunkie:
I miss this snack abeg! I still remember the taste too, from way back in the 80s. Dem suppose dey sell these things for market by now. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by Kobojunkie: 1:10pm On Jul 07, 2022
CulturedGotahia:
You are right!!
This is a nutritious snack. If Nigeria is a Production nation, this is supposed to one of our best selling indigenous snack and even export
Indeed! undecided
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by Kingsleystunner(m): 1:11pm On Jul 07, 2022
Imo people do eat this when it is raining season
I almost vomit when I see persin dey chop am
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by LienwaltAbel(m): 1:12pm On Jul 07, 2022
TheStakeHolder:
Sapa induced diet.

lipsrsealed
gringringrin
The guy no even commot the wings. Na real sapa
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by LienwaltAbel(m): 1:14pm On Jul 07, 2022
jimyjames:

The two are not related in anyway
They are both insects of the same colour with wings. How Dem no come dey related? gringrin
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by aloaye11: 1:15pm On Jul 07, 2022
Nice one
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by dhoncesar(m): 1:16pm On Jul 07, 2022
Harlarbiz01:
Come join me

Mhen... I can't forget those years . I will even Cary them to school. They are full of nutrients
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 07, 2022
Truvelisback:
I am missing this food ever since i left the village.
That's true , ate it when I was in Akungba .
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by Octobertwentysix(f): 1:21pm On Jul 07, 2022
TheStakeHolder:
Sapa induced diet.

lipsrsealed

Hehehehe,chai people get mouth sha.
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by blowjohn(m): 1:21pm On Jul 07, 2022
I ate this thing when I was little. Fried.

But I can authoritatively tell u I can't try it again.

Same with jumping chicken( those large long-legged pond frogs)
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by Aimerosa25(f): 1:23pm On Jul 07, 2022
Harlarbiz01:
Come join me
send location, I'm interested
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by jimyjames(m): 1:27pm On Jul 07, 2022
LienwaltAbel:

They are both insects of the same colour with wings. How Dem no come dey related? gringrin
Not every plant is good for food , same way these two are not related
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by ogkrakkid(m): 1:30pm On Jul 07, 2022
Prepared similar last month. Took it out to hang out with friends and was so surprised how they rushed it I just burst laugh . E sweet die.
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by TheWolfen(m): 1:30pm On Jul 07, 2022
goldfish27:
You no even sabi fry am self. u suppose remove the feathers first b4 frying. to remove the feathers just wash am with salt then dry on the sun and watch how the feathers go remove by itself.

That is a long process.
If you just soak the termites in water the feather will remove by itself then wash and fry it.
Growing up it was fun catching these flying food at night cheesy
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by larrypappyy(m): 1:32pm On Jul 07, 2022
It's very delicious.
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by ILuvKIDS: 1:35pm On Jul 07, 2022
Benin call it àdòn
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by kkins25(m): 1:36pm On Jul 07, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I miss this snack abeg! I still remember the taste too, from way back in the 80s. Dem suppose dey sell these things for market by now. undecided
I've never made the observation. My God!!! One could breed this things and sell.. To be honest, I've never seen any one selling it before too nd I stayed up north. Goddamn...

The stigma though, I've seen folks sell grasshoppers but not sure the market moves at all.

I'd put it at the back of my mind...I've thought of cockroaches, but I can't stand the stench!! lol.
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by Ishilove: 1:37pm On Jul 07, 2022
Harlarbiz01:
I miss eating this flying termites, gone are those days in the late 90s, we are all hunters in the area (Trenches) when it come to this flying termites called Esunsun or Iba as called by we Yorubas, Igbos call it Aku, this termites is said to be very nutritious, so rich in protein.
My childhood experience is incomplete without talking about hunting of Esunsun, snails and fruits, so funny unforgettable experience.
This insect comes out at night following light, sometimes in the early morning when it's still dark.
Esunsun are actually termites that fly, very proteinous and nutritious. Known as Macrotermes bellicosus scientifically.
I won't say much about the peptides and all other biochemical and microbiological information about this insect.
Ogbeni, forget story. You are asking us to eat fried cockroaches
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by wehdone(m): 1:37pm On Jul 07, 2022
Zico777:

Ol boy 4get! it's very nutritious & delicious.
I have seen it been sold in a supermarket in Abuja.

Abeg which supermarket? Make I rush go buy. Whether sapa induced or not, I miss this damn chingay (in Hausa)
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by TheWolfen(m): 1:37pm On Jul 07, 2022
sunnyp20:
I eat mine raw sef. Highly proteinous

I can't eat it raw except fried cheesy
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by Galaxydon1(m): 1:38pm On Jul 07, 2022
Very delicious
Re: Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo) by mcdokwe(m): 1:38pm On Jul 07, 2022
Harlarbiz01:
I miss eating this flying termites, gone are those days in the late 90s, we are all hunters in the area (Trenches) when it come to this flying termites called Esunsun or Iba as called by we Yorubas, Igbos call it Aku, this termites is said to be very nutritious, so rich in protein.
My childhood experience is incomplete without talking about hunting of Esunsun, snails and fruits, so funny unforgettable experience.
This insect comes out at night following light, sometimes in the early morning when it's still dark.
Esunsun are actually termites that fly, very proteinous and nutritious. Known as Macrotermes bellicosus scientifically.
I won't say much about the peptides and all other biochemical and microbiological information about this insect.

I used to enjoy this until the day I soak it in water but ended up not frying them... Omo! I have not recovered from the smell and this has been over 15years, now I just feed them to my birds.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

See Rice Dishes From Other Countries. (pictures) / Mystery Cows: Kogi Bans Beef Consumption In Lokoja / See The Dinner I Prepared From My Garden Without Spending Kobo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.