Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,542 members, 7,819,927 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? (25170 Views)

Ionic: Back Button Not Working On Side-menu Template / What Are You Working On Right Now / Working On Creating A Test Database. Anyone With Sample Data For Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by atasteve: 9:04pm On Aug 17, 2011
This thread is waking up old passion in me.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 17, 2011
horlla:

Fayimora and Others,

I am currently developing an automation system(my first experience with web development) for inventory and invoice of a supermarket using PHP and MYSQL. I am having difficulty reducing my stock automatically anytime sales is made. PLS HELPPPPPPPPPPP. Do u have a sample of such program in php and MYSQL.

Thank U

USE GOOGLE SEARCH THEY ARE LOT OF THIS

i can do for you for just $1000.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by CyberG: 1:08am On Aug 18, 2011
texazzpete:

Precisely why many Nigerian programmers remain dirt poor. Any realist would tell you that this will NOT sell well. Have you any idea how expensive console devkits are? Or the massive amount of time you'd have to spend coding, designing etc and then extensive bug testing to obtain certification for release on consoles. You'll definitely have your work cut out with Nintendo grin

Then target market comes into play. It seems like a good idea now but you'll find that less than 500 Nigerians will be willing to pay full price for your game. Rampant piracy will cripple you too. Then you'd be left with lacklustre sales and staff salary backlogs.

Realistic targets and plans should be your watchword!

Your last statement is the only thing useful in your post but then, my comment had nothing to do with targets or plans. Now to the others: you apparently did not get the train of the discussion otherwise you wouldn't be jumping to wrong conclusions:

1. I am NOT a programmer. Not Nigerian programmer. Not poor.

2. Point to any research or finding that leads to the conclusion that this idea will not sell well.

3. Expensive console devkit? Well, I don't know where you live or what you do but I have them right here already -- e.g. the latest dev-kit for everything MS.

4. Nothing wrong with spending time creating a product as you would agree that anything worth while would require time, yes? Even to build a house before, even a bungalow, it could take 6 months or more and that is just something that has been done over and over. So, time and effort to create a product like this should not be a reason to not do it.

5. Games will not be meant for just "Nigerians". How many games for XBOX, PS3 and similar consoles have you successfully pirated? Again, this would not be a reason not to proceed with an idea should anyone wish to actually pursue it.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by Birniwa(m): 2:25am On Aug 18, 2011
Well, I'm currently working on mobile phone application. It's more like a social networking app that runs on mobile phone to connect Nigerian University Students across the country. The development of this app is entirely in J2ME technology.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by jjgirljay(f): 6:20pm On Aug 18, 2011
just done with java,i just started ethical hacking. its very interesting,blowing my mind off,the things i learnt and tried wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by 3direct: 6:49pm On Aug 18, 2011
ethical my foot!!
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by texazzpete(m): 6:59pm On Aug 18, 2011
CyberG:

Your last statement is the only thing useful in your post but then, my comment had nothing to do with targets or plans. Now to the others: you apparently did not get the train of the discussion otherwise you wouldn't be jumping to wrong conclusions:

2. Point to any research or finding that leads to the conclusion that this idea will not sell well.

3. Expensive console devkit? Well, I don't know where you live or what you do but I have them right here already -- e.g. the latest dev-kit for everything MS.

4. Nothing wrong with spending time creating a product as you would agree that anything worth while would require time, yes? Even to build a house before, even a bungalow, it could take 6 months or more and that is just something that has been done over and over. So, time and effort to create a product like this should not be a reason to not do it.

5. Games will not be meant for just "Nigerians". How many games for XBOX, PS3 and similar consoles have you successfully pirated? Again, this would not be a reason not to proceed with an idea should anyone wish to actually pursue it.

See what happens when you give someone the hard-but-true feedback? they get all snooty.

CyberG:

This thread is about what Nigerian programmers are working on. While i used the word 'you', i was speaking in general terms. I've seen tons of software whizzkids who spend their time coding up the Next Best Thing only for it to end up as a dismal commercial failure.
if the impression you got was that I insinuated you were poor, I apologize. That was not my intent.

CyberG:

Research? Findings? i'm going with my gut feeling here  as a somewhat avid gamer and a keen observer of my fellow Nigerians. Total installed base of PS3 and Xbox consoles in Nigeria is not as massive as many of you think. PS3 games are expensive and the average gamer will shy away from paying full price for an idea such as this. A windows release will probably see your game speedily pirated and distributed for free or sold at N200 at Otigba.

CyberG:

I specifically mentioned 'Consoles'. You can download free SDKs and Engines like Unreal 3 and iD tech but you need a developer console kit to test your compiled games on them. At last count, the PS3 DevKit was selling at $10000. The new PSVita devkit rings in at around 2000 euros. That ain't cheap for many people.

I have no idea what 'everything MS' means. Microsoft's only console is the Xbox 360.

CyberG:

Poor analogy. building a bungalow is not anyone's day job. programming is. Time = money and if you spend 10 months putting your game together, where will the money come from to pay yourself? Your artist? Your animator?

CyberG:

Games will not be meant for just "Nigerians". How many games for XBOX, PS3 and similar consoles have you successfully pirated? Again, this would not be a reason not to proceed with an idea should anyone wish to actually pursue it.

there are currently at least 2 threads in the Nairaland Games section inviting people to come pay N1500 to copy ripped PS3 games to their hard drives. pirated Xbox 360 DVDs are on sale in Alaba for N1000 only. So in you own opinion, potentially massive sales losses to piracy should not be an issue of strong consideration to developers and software development?
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by Nobody: 10:52am On Aug 19, 2011
currently on Student result processing and student portal for a client, now in the testing stage,
TECHNOLOGY : .NET 4.0
BACK END : MS SQL 2008.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by deloon(m): 9:26pm On Aug 19, 2011
Daaamn! I'm impressed. Naija is so blessed.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by jjgirljay(f): 9:31pm On Aug 20, 2011
@ 3direct why are you beefing me?
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by hsadiq(m): 10:15am On Aug 21, 2011
Am highly motivated by this thread.

Its really hard to keep up with the present.

Am working on a Mobile Chat Application using J2ME.

If you are familiar with the new "Whatsapp" released by Nokia,

this application is same but has other extended features,

whatsapp requires unlimited data n Internet connectivity, this application will not, just

a network service.

Any idea wil be gratefuly wecomed
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by princejr(m): 7:38pm On Aug 21, 2011
Hi Guyz,

I'm currently working on a project on building a navigation system for my University in South Africa. I need help on the best application software to use. I also need help on how to really go about it. So far, I have used C# and SQL to make a dummy version, but I'm really hping I can get help from this forum. My e-mail add: ade.tosin83@gmail.com.

Pls help
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by pcTalk: 10:22pm On Aug 22, 2011
i like wot am seeing here. Progrmming is the thing. Like i use to say, software is d king. I v wrk on many software; standalon and web app. Check out ma litle forum, www.pctalkng.com. Have point of sale software, assets management software etc. Like u all guys. You ar doin really great.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by databoy247(m): 4:06pm On Aug 23, 2011
pheeeeeeew!!!! Programming na wah oh. Still doing my best to learn.

Cheers.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by bakenda(m): 11:38am On Aug 24, 2011
@ databoy247 : I like your signature smiley

Can you show some graphics stuff you've done,
we may be needing your services if you're affordable. wink
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by databoy247(m): 1:53pm On Aug 24, 2011
@ bakenda, u can see some of my works here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-732143.0.html

cheeers.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by profCC: 7:04am On Aug 25, 2011
Am working on a software ROBOT,specifically for my laptop.
i will be deploying it by the end of December.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by Aminuyau: 2:58pm On Jul 08, 2012
Hi programmers, am proud of you, even am not among you people, but it always my dream to be among you people. please a nid an assistance, can someone guide me how to go about as a novice?
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by Nobody: 9:01am On Jul 09, 2012
Just finish implementing a biometric App for a government coporation.
I use .NET
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by donTee01(m): 11:08pm On Jul 09, 2012
engineerd: gosh i am glad u guys like programing, i find it boring though, i wish there were avid integrated circuit designers on nairaland. i feel so alone sad

i work wt PICs..watz ur specializatn
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by Nobody: 12:03am On Dec 30, 2012
Working on a fleet management solution for Fleet Masters Limited.
Standalone written in python, Web part done with PHP/MySQL

It has an API style architecture and does everything needed to successfully run a Fleet Management Company.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by bakenda(m): 1:36pm On Jan 02, 2013
You don hammer be dat o.

Happy new year.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by Javanian: 3:02pm On Jan 02, 2013
Game Programming, Game and Graph theories.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by bakenda(m): 3:16pm On Jan 02, 2013
When I switch over from holiday mode, I hope
to continue work on a custom Q and A site
I abandoned a few years ago.
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by PrinceNN(m): 7:48pm On Jan 02, 2013
AI
Re: Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? by hoodboi(m): 1:19am On Jan 04, 2013
I am currently working on a school management system, i am using Vb.net (My strongest point)and xml. I am making it fully customizable, and i have put in a lot of features. I am currently at the design stage, i hope to finish the application by march.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

List Of Nigerian Software That Compete Globally / The Most Financially Rewarding Areas In Programing. / How Do I Start Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.