Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) (41404 Views)

Can Infrastructure Drive Any Economy? Opinion / We Have Darkness Because We Have Incompetent People Managing Our Economy-fashola / 200 Nsukas Professors Mobilize For Atiku/obi 2019 Tickets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by Tosyn007(m): 5:32pm On Jul 03, 2022
PresidObi:
Nigeria,

A country where proven public service failures stand up to lecture others who had made a success of both their private and public lives. Fashola should be ashamed of himself for talking about economy even while his government has collapsed under economic woes.

You really cannot use infrastructure to grow the economy, what Fashola failed to mention was that the millions of liters of gas used to build the bridge were imported, at a very negative balance of trade for a country that has gas under its soil? Most of the other materials and manpower are also imported, benefiting foreign countries. The number of expatriate workers in JB will amaze you, with thrice that number serving them as cooks, gardeners, drivers and security men. Loss of foreign currency.

You grow the economy organically, by improvements in the GDP, creating enabling environment with power supply (an area Fashola failed woefully) and making sure more people work and exchange goods and services, not to talk about tax. APC keep proving everyday that they are passers by in the corridors of power.

Vote for Peter Obi.

He will make Nigeria so rich and prosperous that the likes of Fashola will relocate to Jamaica to hide their faces.

But how can a president-elect say infrastructure doesn't drive economy, I'm supporting neither parties, but someone like him saying that says a lot about his level of intellect, meen this is scary! Infrastructure is the backbone of development!

Imagine 24hr steady supply of electricity
Imagine working refineries all around the country
Imagine schools without incessant strikes

It's just a shame that those who have been there are corrupt are senseless! Even Fashy using bridge as an example shows he doesn't really know what he's saying, he just said all that for argument's sake, he's a lawyer after all.

1 Like

Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by oooabbeyooo: 5:42pm On Jul 03, 2022
We all have different approach to the economy, that's the reason we need to stick to economic theories to harmonize all our perspectives or judge our 'intellect'. More like solving an arithmetic problem without using BODMAS.

Three critical infrastructure that will drive an economy are human resources, power and good transportation system. The parameters for rating the health of any economy are the inflation rate, interest rate and the Per Capital.

If PO have said he will drive the economy with infrastructure then I believe he is right. If the honourable minister disagrees with PO, with an undertone of local production of items, then we should consider these facts below:

* Dangote cement spent N189b in 2021 on power generation.
* Dangote Refinery has a dedicated power plant that can generate 400MW to move the Refinery. The cost of the power plant is $2b.
*Cost of production of goods and services have increased because of poor power supply and use of diesel for power generation as such leading to increase in inflation rate.
*The economy is withnessing a reduced supply of money as a result of low revenue to GDP ratio and as such leading to increase in interest rate and increased borrowings (debt trap). This will shrink the GDP and reduce Per Capital, given that population is controlled unlike Nigeria.
*If these trend continues, the economy will go into recession.

If the economy can collapse (recession) as a result of poor infrastructure then logically it can thrive on good state of infrastructure.

The honorable minister does not want to admit that, aside insecurity driving low FDI, these facts mentioned above will reduce FDI because investors will consider investing in the country as high risk because of high economic parameters.

Imagine a President Buhari,s government that came to power in 2015, met power generation at 5GW out of 20GW, spent 8 years by 2023 and leave with power generation still at 4GW out of 20GW. The same government has borrowed so much during this period with priority given to railways over electricity. I still believe scale of preference in economics should have prioritzed power over railways in an economy like Nigeria,s.

PO will sure tell you he will drive economy with infrastructure and he will be right!

God bless Nigeria!
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by chinchum(m): 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2022
Infrastructure is arguably the key factor that drives the economy. I must state that the optimal infrastructures like refineries, seaport, railways, power plants, efficient electricity transmission lines, good rural roads,.

SMEs fail most times because of the failure of these aforelisted infrastructures. Production will struggle and can not be catalysed in the face of inadequate infrastructure. Small and medium scale enterprises fail and cant create the required jobs because of the lack of infrastructure.

Building most of the infrastructures takes time and it takes strong commitment and aggressive focus to achieve sustainable growth.

I am not surprise Obi said infrastructure does not drive economy, little wonder he was saving money that should be used to build infrastructure. You dont have bad roads everywhere, no cargo airport and begin to save money. Nigerias problem today can also be traced to little investment on the infrastructure by the military in about 30 years they were at the helm of affairs, they had an easy chance with the value of Naira, less population to aggressively improve our infrastructure but they barely made a change.
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by SmokedWhiskey: 7:33pm On Jul 03, 2022
GeneralDae:

Exactly. There are many things I hate about the APC but if there is something in their ideology which they emphasize on all the time (although they haven't perfected) is the belief that infrastructure is paramount above all else.

Thanks, it’s a no brainer, how can any sane country expect to develop without infrastructure. We can only talk of other factors based on the assumption that adequate infrastructure is already in place.
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by GeneralDae: 7:41pm On Jul 03, 2022
chinchum:
Infrastructure is arguably the key factor that drives the economy. I must state that the optimal infrastructures like refineries, seaport, railways, power plants, efficient electricity transmission lines, good rural roads,.

SMEs fail most times because of the failure of these aforelisted infrastructures. Production will struggle and can not be catalysed in the face of inadequate infrastructure. Small and medium scale enterprises fail and cant create the required jobs because of the lack of infrastructure.

Building most of the infrastructures takes time and it takes strong commitment and aggressive focus to achieve sustainable growth.

I am not surprise Obi said infrastructure does not drive economy, little wonder he was saving money that should be used to build infrastructure. You dont have bad roads everywhere, no cargo airport and begin to save money. Nigerias problem today can also be traced to little investment on the infrastructure by the military in about 30 years they were at the helm of affairs, they had an easy chance with the value of Naira, less population to aggressively improve our infrastructure but they barely made a change.
Exactly bro, infrastructure is everything. Obi should rather learn this and stop talking rubbish.
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by renheart(m): 7:54pm On Jul 03, 2022
Abdul05:
Fashola ,tinubu , osinbajo and Co are all considerable Intellects.....

and ,they are also rational and political healthy unlike the fake one from the land of Biafra,,. grin

Lies. Those a means to which they steal money. Government of deceit
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by kkfada(m): 7:57pm On Jul 03, 2022
Infrastructure without the basics is useless is the Abuja train working till date.... insecurity..is the new airport in Lagos a glory to Nigeria or disaster?
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by DMerciful(m): 8:24pm On Jul 03, 2022
Tinubu was also mentioned in the Pandora papers
LeoDeKing:
Pandora hoebi with a 3rd class in Philosophy is not qualified to be taught directly by the great Asiwaju of Nigeria.

He should be attending classes where Tinubu's students are lecturers.

All Tinubu's students are doing great, pandora hoebi the olodo should consult them, not Tinubu. Tinubu is too big for him. cheesy
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by Josh109: 9:47pm On Jul 03, 2022
Saintinoo:

Listen to me, I don't do argument of sentiments and ignorance here, check my comments on Nairaland.

Now tell me how railways built by Ameachi have improved the economy?

I know what railways do to a country economy, as a means of transportation, railway is important because it facilities easy movement of raw materials and finished goods for the manufacturers and farmers alike.

When being developed, it creates heavy revenue for the state.

Now, has Nigeria benefitted the aforementioned since Ameachi bought coaches that travels from Abuja to Kaduna?

Go to countries like China and India and see how railways are being used. Today transporting a 100kg bag of rice from Adamawa state to Lagos state is more than 5000 naira, and they say we have railways, so what is the UAE of the said railways.

I doubt if you have entered these rail coaches because the last time I checked, only Abuja to Kaduna route is currently functional.
is ur argument base on the important of the railway or its important to the economy
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by Josh109: 10:04pm On Jul 03, 2022
optm:
no body says infrastructure isn't required for economic growth but doing the right things the right way and at the right time is important aswell else you may not get the right results
mr man, what do u want to do right without have the basic infrastructure in place, tell me how can attract investor to in ur economy without infrastructure,.....can u leave In a virgin land without access Road? Omo u guys are such a clown
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by Maximeo(m): 10:36pm On Jul 03, 2022
chinchum:

Saving money in a scheme that yields high interest is very commendable because it's an investment. The money Peter Obi saved yielded huge returns and it was used by next governor to build Airport. Peter Obi also built roads, schools, hospitals, industrial/manufacturing estates, etc.

Government is a continuous thing, and capital investment doesn't mean there's no idea to build infrastructure.

PLEASE POST THE FULL VIDEO OF WHAT PETER OBI SAID THAT’S GENERATING THIS COMMENTS.

IF WE COMPARE WHAT SAID WITH THOSE OF TINUBU THEN WE WOULD KNOW WHO MAKES SENSE.
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by Cheadexe(m): 11:10pm On Jul 03, 2022
Being obidient to the cause of our revolution.

One major drawback of Obi is that he talks a lot and if you delve deep into what he is saying most times, it is hard to correlate his words into tangible solutions for the economy.

Furthermore, a lot of youths shouting Obi really do not even bother to critique his ideas or solutions. To them it is simply about being "Obidient"

Abeg obidient to what? Most don't even know.[/quote]
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by GeneralDae: 11:11pm On Jul 03, 2022
kkfada:
Infrastructure without the basics is useless is the Abuja train working till date.... insecurity..is the new airport in Lagos a glory to Nigeria or disaster?
How is the new Airport a disaster?
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by Maximeo(m): 11:17pm On Jul 03, 2022
Cheadexe:
Being obidient to the cause of our revolution.

One major drawback of Obi is that he talks a lot and if you delve deep into what he is saying most times, it is hard to correlate his words into tangible solutions for the economy.

Furthermore, a lot of youths shouting Obi really do not even bother to critique his ideas or solutions. To them it is simply about being "Obidient"

Abeg obidient to what? Most don't even know.

What did Obi say that doesn’t correlate into tangible solutions for the economy?
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by optm(m): 2:48am On Jul 04, 2022
Josh109:
mr man, what do u want to do right without have the basic infrastructure in place, tell me how can attract investor to in ur economy without infrastructure,.....can u leave In a virgin land without access Road? Omo u guys are such a clown
please can you show me the impact of the so called infrastructures being put in place by the govt on the economy? Let's face reality , please tell me it's impact so far since it was rightly executed at least we should have evidences of its impact and that's what i am asking you now to show
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by cuteralph101(m): 5:48am On Jul 04, 2022
LeoDeKing:
Pandora hoebi with a 3rd class in Philosophy is not qualified to be taught directly by the great Asiwaju of Nigeria.

All Tinubu's students are doing great, pandora hoebi the olodo should consult them, not Tinubu. Tinubu is too big for him. cheesy
lols...ironically isn't Fashola tinubus boy Minister of Power? And we still struggling with 3800 megawatts? Waste of brain
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by cuteralph101(m): 5:52am On Jul 04, 2022
Abdul05:
Fashola ,tinubu , osinbajo and Co are all considerable Intellects.....

and ,they are also rational and political healthy unlike the fake one from the land of Biafra,,. grin

foolish fashola...he forgot to mention 19m litres of diesel were imported? Also that nigeria pays 1.3 trillion naira for subsidy? Cement is cheaper in Zambia and Togo even. I've seen how he improved power sector grin.
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by luuvv: 2:54pm On Jul 04, 2022
LeoDeKing:

ode
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by GeneralDae: 3:03pm On Jul 04, 2022
cuteralph101:
lols...ironically isn't Fashola tinubus boy Minister of Power? And we still struggling with 3800 megawatts? Waste of brain
Fashola is no longer minister of power.
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by GeneralDae: 3:18pm On Jul 04, 2022
optm:
please can you show me the impact of the so called infrastructures being put in place by the govt on the economy? Let's face reality , please tell me it's impact so far since it was rightly executed at least we should have evidences of its impact and that's what i am asking you now to show
The warri-itakpe rail line is making it easy for the construction of the AKK gas pipeline. One example.
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by cuteralph101(m): 4:44pm On Jul 04, 2022
GeneralDae:

Fashola is no longer minister of power.
when he was?
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by optm(m): 5:17pm On Jul 04, 2022
GeneralDae:

The warri-itakpe rail line is making it easy for the construction of the AKK gas pipeline. One example.
can you explain further because i really do not understand
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 04, 2022
Cognitivereason:

he no longer handles power.. beside he is the best minister of works ever..
in Lagos specifically..b4 2015..all the federal roads in lagos state were death trap..

today.

there is no single fedral road in lagos that isnt receiving attention

lagos - ibadan
apapa - oworonshoki
ikorodu - sagamu
lagos - badagry
lagos - abeokuta

this are all the worst and most significant roads in lagos...Fashola's ministry is building all

So fashola's ministry is for Lagos alone? undecided
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by reality1010: 9:21pm On Jul 04, 2022
LifestyleTonite:
Fashola Schools Peter Obi On Infrastructure

See video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9HUruemlAI
What is Fashola saying again? The Rocket science man that could not maintain the mega watt of electricity he meet. For good four years he could not add an inche to Nigeria's electricty instead he resorted to media propaganda to save face. Nigerian road is the worst for it, from South east to south west to North central, north east and south south. Our roads are death trap while billions are stolen to service Tinubu and his croonies.
Fashola knows nothing about development. As a Governor he wasnt a match to Peter Obi, he knows very well despite the huge revenue that comes from Lagos as a former Federal Capital Territory built by the colonial master and the federal government. Fashola is one of the dark horses in this government.
Unfortunately Fashola's failure to revive the North east power project at gelengu made late Abba Kyari to travel to Europe where he got covid 19 and died.
Fashola should cover his head in shame.
What Nigeria needs now is an expert like Obi who can rescue Nigeria from her comatose state to a productive state. Every state in Nigeria is supposed to be bouyant.
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by Cognitivereason: 8:59am On Jul 05, 2022
Thanksful:

So fashola's ministry is for Lagos alone? undecided

i specified that of lagos alone..there is no single state in Nigeria that doesnt have one federal road under construction..mention ur state and I will tell you a project(road/bridge) under construction or completed
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by GeneralDae: 10:45am On Jul 05, 2022
reality1010:

What is Fashola saying again? The Rocket science man that could not maintain the mega watt of electricity he meet. For good four years he could not add an inche to Nigeria's electricty instead he resorted to media propaganda to save face. Nigerian road is the worst for it, from South east to south west to North central, north east and south south. Our roads are death trap while billions are stolen to service Tinubu and his croonies.
Fashola knows nothing about development. As a Governor he wasnt a match to Peter Obi, he knows very well despite the huge revenue that comes from Lagos as a former Federal Capital Territory built by the colonial master and the federal government. Fashola is one of the dark horses in this government.
Unfortunately Fashola's failure to revive the North east power project at gelengu made late Abba Kyari to travel to Europe where he got covid 19 and died.
Fashola should cover his head in shame.
What Nigeria needs now is an expert like Obi who can rescue Nigeria from her comatose state to a productive state. Every state in Nigeria is supposed to be bouyant.
I am not a fan of Fashola especially when he was minister of power but Obi has to change his mindset towards infrastructure. We need Infrastructure even if it means borrowing for it like Egypt has been doing since 2017.
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by GeneralDae: 1:05pm On Jul 05, 2022
Yes infrastructure is what drives an economy.
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by Efxfuture: 3:20pm On Jul 05, 2022
Dull Fashola, soon we would know how much you have stolen through infrastructure. We know you them. APc and PdP Two side of the same coin.
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by BluntCrazeMan: 11:43am On Jul 13, 2022
LifestyleTonite:
Fashola Schools Peter Obi On Infrastructure

See video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9HUruemlAI

Can Fashola List all the Infrastructures Which His MINISTRY invested in AND COMPLETED..??
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 15, 2022
That good to hear
domination:
Lol, The minister of darkness
Re: Can Infrastructure Drive An Economy? Fashola Counters Peter Obi (2019) by mbos: 1:08pm On Aug 15, 2022
Pakute:
Obi is a fraud. A fraud that says infrastructure doesn't drive economy.
do you know the meaning of Infra

infra means "before"

so after having "before" structure in place, what next...
1. it can decay
2. it can be used...

hence it is just the doing nothing
only human capital can drive the economy not a " before structure" in a competitive world economy not local monopolistic Nigerian negative style of subjugation, retrogression.............

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Legal Implications Of Abubakar Audu's Death – Festus Keyamo / Dates FG Budgets Were Signed Into Law (2008-2016) / Stop MC Oluomo From Becoming Oba Of Oshodi: Olushi Onigbesa Family Begs Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.