Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,129 members, 7,818,385 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? (2101 Views)

How Do I Tell My Dad I Got 2.2? / Am I Being Cheated?? Please Help!! / I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by ntrukpum(m): 4:49am On Jul 06, 2022
Good morning dear nairalanders, please I need your advice. I am a 36 years old man. I have a B.eng in Electrical Electronic Engineering. I started an electrical accessories shop after graduating in 2014. Due to the recession in 2016/2017 my business crashed. I started teaching in private secondary schools to bounce back. My pay then was between 15k to 20k. It was at this point that my wife was pregnant and later gave birth to our first child in 2018. There's this school that started newly last year and they were recruiting teachers. I applied because I loved their packaging and it was a place I wanted my two kids to be. So it was a case of using one stone to kill two birds. I was called for an interview and I passed it. When it was time to talk about the pay, they ask me how much I was being paid in my previous school. I sincerely told them. Then they asked me how much I want them to pay me. I simply told them that based on their packaging, I think they already have a standard salary scale for all staff. They insisted i should tell them. So I told them 40k. They asked me to mention the lowest amount that if they pay me less than that, I won't accept the offer. So I said, I won't accept if their offer is less than 25k. So they congratulated me and asked me to join other staff for resumption prayer meetings. The first month I was paid 27k. The second month, they gave me a post of examination officer and increased my pay to 30k till today. Others were paid between 25k to 30k depending on qualifications and duties in school. The highest paid are the administrator, principal and headteacher ( head of primary).
So by January a guy who teaches music and physics came to resign. Resign being that he has been offered 45k to teach music alone in another school for just 2days in a week. Our director persuaded him not to leave and promised to increased his salary. Meanwhile this guy is an ND holder of EEE who was earning 30k along side me. The guy didn't leave and I wondered why? I have a degree in EEE and I teach Maths and technical drawing. I organise free maths class for this students every weekend from primary to secondary. I do this with my team without being paid. Two months ago while I was in school on Saturday for the free maths class, I had all the office keys with me and I stormed into the administrator's staff payments voucher. To my surprise, this said guy started collecting 45k right from January. It was so painful. Nobody knew. I told my colleagues and they were also pained. We had to stop the free class after that day. They management asked me why? didn't give them replies. Please should I confront them to ask them why I, a degree holder, a Mathematics teacher, Examination officer and coordinator of Free mathematics classes, should be paid 30k. While an ND holder should earn 45k. Though there's no money in the school, we've not been paid for two months now. So is this the right time to ask for salary increment? Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by eleko1: 4:54am On Jul 06, 2022
sad u and ur fellow peepz should table the matter with the director.If he nor gree balance thing accordingly,y’all should drop ur resignation letter. Dnt do it now until u resume in September (E get why)

NB, dnt trll Him about ur discovery of payment voucher biko

7 Likes

Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by ntrukpum(m): 5:20am On Jul 06, 2022
I appreciate this.
Thanks
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by Nobody: 6:37am On Jul 06, 2022
How is this even possible?

An ND holder raking more naira than a Bsc holder in the same place of work..

Wonderful, really wonderful..

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by ntrukpum(m): 6:53am On Jul 06, 2022
Miracood2:
How is this even possible?

An ND holder raking more naira than a Bsc holder in the same place of work..

Wonderful, really wonderful..

Brother I was surprised. Not that he does anything special. The students hates him and they are complaining about his teaching methods. I've corrected him severally on certain calculations in physics.
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 06, 2022
Many people running private schools care less about teachers.
eleko1:
sad u and ur fellow peepz should table the matter with the director.If he nor gree balance thing accordingly,y’all should drop ur resignation letter. Dnt do it now until u resume in September (E get why)

Listen to this. Voice out, but at a good timing I

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by budaatum: 7:00am On Jul 06, 2022
Dude, it's no one's fault that you do not know how to negotiate a better pay than the music teacher. He values himself more than you do, but you think you should he valued equally or more.

Do not forget that part of your benefit was your children going to that school. Is it free? Have you added that benefit to the pay you've declared here?

Hope you learn from this to negotiate better because I feel you would not accept 25k for something you priced at 40 unless you were desperate.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by HarunaWest(m): 7:00am On Jul 06, 2022
ntrukpum:
Good morning dear nairalanders, please I need your advice. I am a 36 years old man. I have a B.eng in Electrical Electronic Engineering. I started an electrical accessories shop after graduating in 2014. Due to the recession in 2016/2017 my business crashed. I started teaching in private secondary schools to bounce back. My pay then was between 15k to 20k. It was at this point that my wife was pregnant and later gave birth to our first child in 2018. There's this school that started newly last year and they were recruiting teachers. I applied because I loved their packaging and it was a place I wanted my two kids to be. So it was a case of using one stone to kill two birds. I was called for an interview and I passed it. When it was time to talk about the pay, they ask me how much I was being paid in my previous school. I sincerely told them. Then they asked me how much I want them to pay me. I simply told them that based on their packaging, I think they already have a standard salary scale for all staff. They insisted i should tell them. So I told them 40k. They asked me to mention the lowest amount that if they pay me less than that, I won't accept the offer. So I said, I won't accept if their offer is less than 25k. So they congratulated me and asked me to join other staff for resumption prayer meetings. The first month I was paid 27k. The second month, they gave me a post of examination officer and increased my pay to 30k till today. Others were paid between 25k to 30k depending on qualifications and duties in school. The highest paid are the administrator, principal and headteacher ( head of primary).
So by January a guy who teaches music and physics came to resign. Resign being that he has been offered 45k to teach music alone in another school for just 2days in a week. Our director persuaded him not to leave and promised to increased his salary. Meanwhile this guy is an ND holder of EEE who was earning 30k along side me. The guy didn't leave and I wondered why? I have a degree in EEE and I teach Maths and technical drawing. I organise free maths class for this students every weekend from primary to secondary. I do this with my team without being paid. Two months ago while I was in school on Saturday for the free maths class, I had all the office keys with me and I stormed into the administrator's staff payments voucher. To my surprise, this said guy started collecting 45k right from January. It was so painful. Nobody knew. I told my colleagues and they were also pained. We had to stop the free class after that day. They management asked me why? didn't give them replies. Please should I confront them to ask them why I, a degree holder, a Mathematics teacher, Examination officer and coordinator of Free mathematics classes, should be paid 30k. While an ND holder should earn 45k. Though there's no money in the school, we've not been paid for two months now. So is this the right time to ask for salary increment? Thanks
Bros Good morning. Oga change your location oooh. Go and apply to a better school. Maths teachers are paid 80K here in Abuja(Big schools). Don't let them be using your head like that. Apply to bigger schools and move on.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by meritadavize1(m): 8:02am On Jul 06, 2022
First start looking for another place to teach, by the time u might av see, the school might av sort them self out in their current financial situation. Then tell them ur mind.

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by ntrukpum(m): 8:04am On Jul 06, 2022
budaatum:
Dude, it's no one's fault that you do not know how to negotiate a better pay than the music teacher. He values himself more than you do, but you think you should he valued equally or more.

Do not forget that part of your benefit was your children going to that school. Is it free? Have you added that benefit to the pay you've declared here?
Not free brother, I pay fees. Just a little reduction from tution fee

Hope you learn from this to negotiate better because I feel you would not accept 25k for something you priced at 40 unless you were desperate.
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by ntrukpum(m): 8:05am On Jul 06, 2022
budaatum:

Not free! I pay fees. Just a little reduction in tution fee
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by cayorday89(m): 8:46am On Jul 06, 2022
HarunaWest:
Bros Good morning. Oga change your location oooh. Go and apply to a better school. Maths teachers are paid 80K here in Abuja(Big schools). Don't let them be using your head like that. Apply to bigger schools and move on.
And he should never try that his honest declaration mistake again, he should tell them above what he earns and tell them this is what he wants to earn.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by codelearner: 9:10am On Jul 06, 2022
ntrukpum:

Private Businesses are not run by emotions and sentiments.

Because you were earning 30k with the other guy who has moved to a new pay grade does not mean you will be paid same.
It is only in Nigeria civil service that FGN or State employer pay you based on certificate or age in service, for an entrepreneur , it is all about value you bring to the table.
You shared that the person now earning 45k though he studied Engineering teaches Music and Physic which is a solid combination and value-mix in a single teacher.

Have you tried to carve a niche for yourself or improve yourself by adding value in other field that will enhance the school productivity.

It is all about value and if you want to check how valuable you are , tender your resignation and see if the school will call you back for negotiation.

When I worked in Nigeria as a Telecom Engineer, I tendered my resignation and was called back to re-negotiate my salary and other benefits, not only did they match the other company pay, I was given the opportunity to lead global projects that allowed me travel to 3 continents.

LET START THINKING ABOUT VALUE WE BRING

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by jesmond3945: 9:46am On Jul 06, 2022
ntrukpum:
I would always advise nigerians to always put their interest first.
First, the school dont care about your qualifications or your capability. They are just using you due to the condition in the labour market.
You already have teaching experience. Start applying to another school that will give you a good offer. Once you have an offer, you can always have a leverage to negotiate. If they are not ready to pay, you resign. Because your intersest is number one.
Right now you have no leverage. The school can sack and replace you without thinking twice.

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by ntrukpum(m): 9:48am On Jul 06, 2022
jesmond3945:

I would always advise nigerians to always put their interest first.
First, the school dont care about your qualifications or your capability. They are just using you due to the condition in the labour market.
You already have teaching experience. Start applying to another school that will give you a good offer. Once you have an offer, you can always have a leverage to negotiate. If they are not ready to pay, you resign. Because your intersest is number one.
Right now you have no leverage. The school can sack and replace you without thinking twice.
I appreciate
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by jesmond3945: 9:59am On Jul 06, 2022
eleko1:

if they do that. The Director will gladly sack them and replace them immediately but when he knows they have options he will bend.
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by eleko1: 10:30am On Jul 06, 2022
Sack and replace them wen New sch academic resume on September b grin.? U go pity such director if he dares them all. Only a suffer head will remain in such sch.Here in lekki,Dey pay up to 90/130k.Om not talking about Mama chinyere/Aunty iyabo N/P sch oo.
jesmond3945:
if they do that. The Director will gladly sack them and replace them immediately but when he knows they have options he will bend.
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by jesmond3945: 10:48am On Jul 06, 2022
eleko1:
Sack and replace them wen New sch academic resume on September b grin.? U go pity such director if he dares them all. Only a suffer head will remain in such sch.Here in lekki,Dey pay up to 90/130k.Om not talking about Mama chinyere/Aunty iyabo N/P sch oo.
my brother forget matter. He owns the school. You cannot hold him to ransome. The only fear he would have is if another school poaches his staff. That means they might drag some students out of his school. The labour market is saturated. He would always get people to replace in a short notice
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by eleko1: 11:18am On Jul 06, 2022
I dnt think u understand me yet.How will recruit new staff immediately when he Fire them all(Not one)
Nobody’s disputing that he’s not the owner of the school/can do whatever he like.Let him try that I’m September and hire immediately
jesmond3945:
my brother forget matter. He owns the school. You cannot hold him to ransome. The only fear he would have is if another school poaches his staff. That means they might drag some students out of his school. The labour market is saturated. He would always get people to replace in a short notice
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by ITbomb(m): 11:34am On Jul 06, 2022
One of the vital lessons I have learnt in life is that you should never ever be covetous

1. You did wrong by telling everyone confidential information

2. The other guy maybe has a better leverage or bargaining chip to negotiate better renumeration, it's not about qualification and such information is between the boss and him.
It is on you to position yourself to get a leverage to negotiate your pay and not to be causing chaos

3. Personally, if I negotiate a fee with you, I take into consideration every aspect that will enable me deliver on the job and make my offer, if you agree, and I later found out what you gain, it's none of my business. Instead I will make sure if you want me again on another assignment, I will make a better offer.

4. If I were your boss, I would sack you.
The world is not about your qualifications, but what you have to offer as a solution to problems and your bargaining power

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by Rickmann: 11:46am On Jul 06, 2022
Es
ntrukpum:

First of, you must always remember that this is Nigeria. Most employers want to use you and pay less..Going forward, you must learn to always increase ur price to your desired figure when asked such question in an interview and you stand by it strongly. Your benchmark of 25k was poor and so you were rated based on 25k..thats the leverage the music teacher had over you.
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by ntrukpum(m): 12:23pm On Jul 06, 2022
Rickmann:
Es

First of, you must always remember that this is Nigeria. Most employers want to use you and pay less..Going forward, you must learn to always increase ur price to your desired figure when asked such question in an interview and you stand by it strongly. Your benchmark of 25k was poor and so you were rated based on 25k..thats the leverage the music teacher had over you.

The music teacher was being paid 30k also with me. His salary was increased because he wanted to leave. According to him, he said there's a school that offered him 45k. That was when the owner increased his pay from 30 to 45 as at January dis year
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by ntrukpum(m): 12:25pm On Jul 06, 2022
ITbomb:
One of the vital lessons I have learnt in life is that you should never ever be covetous

1. You did wrong by telling everyone confidential information

2. The other guy maybe has a better leverage or bargaining chip to negotiate better renumeration, it's not about qualification and such information is between the boss and him.
It is on you to position yourself to get a leverage to negotiate your pay and not to be causing chaos

3. Personally, if I negotiate a fee with you, I take into consideration every aspect that will enable me deliver on the job and make my offer, if you agree, and I later found out what you gain, it's none of my business. Instead I will make sure if you want me again on another assignment, I will make a better offer.

4. If I were your boss, I would sack you.
The world is not about your qualifications, but what you have to offer as a solution to problems and your bargaining power

Is that what you think bro?
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by ntrukpum(m): 12:26pm On Jul 06, 2022
codelearner:

Private Businesses are not run by emotions and sentiments.

Because you were earning 30k with the other guy who has moved to a new pay grade does not mean you will be paid same.
It is only in Nigeria civil service that FGN or State employer pay you based on certificate or age in service, for an entrepreneur , it is all about value you bring to the table.
You shared that the person now earning 45k though he studied Engineering teaches Music and Physic which is a solid combination and value-mix in a single teacher.

Have you tried to carve a niche for yourself or improve yourself by adding value in other field that will enhance the school productivity.

It is all about value and if you want to check how valuable you are , tender your resignation and see if the school will call you back for negotiation.

When I worked in Nigeria as a Telecom Engineer, I tendered my resignation and was called back to re-negotiate my salary and other benefits, not only did they match the other company pay, I was given the opportunity to lead global projects that allowed me travel to 3 continents.

LET START THINKING ABOUT VALUE WE BRING
So should I resign?
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by ntrukpum(m): 12:27pm On Jul 06, 2022
meritadavize1:
First start looking for another place to teach, by the time u might av see, the school might av sort them self out in their current financial situation. Then tell them ur mind.
I am doing that already!
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by Rickmann: 12:28pm On Jul 06, 2022
ntrukpum:

The music teacher was being paid 30k also with me. His salary was increased because he wanted to leave. According to him, he said there's a school that offered him 45k. That was when the owner increased his pay from 30 to 45 as at January dis year

Ok..
Maybe you should try the same trick and see if it works for you since you not happy at the moment.

But remember, a bird in hand is worth two, out there.
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by ntrukpum(m): 12:29pm On Jul 06, 2022
Rickmann:

Ok..
Maybe you should try the same trick and see if it works for you since you not happy at the moment.

But remember, a bird in hand is worth two, out there.
So brother if you were in my shoes what will you do?
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by Rickmann: 1:01pm On Jul 06, 2022
ntrukpum:

So brother if you were in my shoes what will you do?

I just said so..
If I were you, i'd try by telling the authorities that I have got a better offer else where and see if they ll up your pay..if they do, fine..if they don't, you know what you want.
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by Kingnelson9: 1:01pm On Jul 06, 2022
This is your best chance.
Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by AgentGoat: 3:07pm On Jul 06, 2022
ntrukpum:

You should be talking about changing your employer because this your current salary is shiity. Leave the music teacher alone. Both of una dey suffer. Infact all of you for that school. You are one of those that doesn't know what to do with their a good certificate.

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Director That I Am Being cheated after discovering this? by budaatum: 3:13pm On Jul 06, 2022
jesmond3945:
my brother forget matter. He owns the school. You cannot hold him to ransome. The only fear he would have is if another school poaches his staff. That means they might drag some students out of his school. The labour market is unsaturated. He would always get people to replace in a short notice

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Online Tutorials: Physics, Chemistry, And Molecular Biology / Pls Is D Ongoing Elf Scholarship Scheme For Only Akwa Ibom And Rivers State Indigenes.dats Weird. / Waec Held Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.