Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... (5877 Views)

Kalu Orji: Entire South-South, South-West Should Support South-East Presidency / If SW Seriously Needs Amotekun Then They Must Adopt Sharia Law. / Lagos Revenue In 2018 Was Higher Than That Of The Entire South-East - NEITI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by emee701(m): 6:48am On Jul 13, 2022
TrueNigerian300:

Smart guy the support of Obi is purely ethnic anyone with emitonal intelligence can sense that.Forget all the useless talk of he is this or that. How come people who want Biafra and called Nigeria a zoo support him?? What has change? I repeat the support for Obi is ethnic based and there is nothing wrong with that but stop blackmailing people.

Some yorubas are saying it boldly that their support for Tinubu is because he is Yoruba have you seen any Ibo say this Probably not just to make it look like they are supporting him based on competency.

So despite all the curses and insults you guys want the presidency badly? I thought you guys said you dont want it. Those who planned the coup this is same strategy they use but they are always half smart thinking they are smart.
We can see through their hipocrisy and economic blackmail. Yorubas would vote for tinubu
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by Bugie16: 9:13am On Jul 13, 2022
Rekhina:

You can do a lot.
You see this APC that pierced my heart with sorrows and death, you see that change? It shall visit you and my pains shall be 10fold on u, Amen !!!
Amen
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by Christistruth00: 12:19pm On Jul 13, 2022
cool
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by Christistruth00: 12:21pm On Jul 13, 2022
Eriokanmi:
I laff in 3D at you guys. So, @ emee701, because my mum is lagosian now makes me fake abi? But in 2015 when I voted buhari and carried him on my head, then I wasn't fake. Who's more fake between me and your mentor Tinubu who hails from Osun and without any link here? The way you guys think amazes me always.

My dad despite being edo was born in lagos, he schooled in lagos. He has all his houses here. His mum is also lagosian from the Kosoko family. While his great grand father was of Oshodin family who were the the early settlers of Eko from Edo state. What's known as Oshodi today was originally called Oshodin which is an edo word. Or can you tell me the yoruba meaning of oshodi? grin. Edo were early settlers of Lagos. Look at the way Obas in Lagos are dressedand and compare this with the Edo Obas. Oba Akiolu sef attested to this. I'm full bloodied lagosian

Oba Ado the first King Of lagos was an Awori man from Isheri
Oba Ado’s Father was the Ashipa Of Isheri
It was his mother that was a Benin Princess and even the Benin version accepts that he may have been the grandson of the Oba of Benin which he was on his mother’s side

On top of all that the awori Oba’s Of lagos have been of Ijesha Roots since the Time Of ologun kutere whose father Alagba was an Ijesha man from Ilesa in Osun State

You will agree that it is Yoruba Culture that Permits the Sons Of Princesses to occasionally inherit the Throne in certain Circumstances

it is not a Benin Custom and it has never happened in Benin’s entire History as the Practice is totally Alien to Benin

ologun kutere was the son of Princess Erelu Kuti

That is cast Iron evidence that the Royal Lineage was originally an Awori Yoruba one

Yorubas have had a Female Ooni called Luwo and a Female Alaafin called Orompoto before

The Present Oba Tejuosho Of Oke Ona inherited the Throne through his mother’s Lineage who was an Oke Ona Princess

The Awori Onikoyi, Oniru, Ojora Royal families of Lagos all initially inherited their Titles and Lands through their Maternal lineage, this is permitted in Yoruba Culture and the Practice among the Yorubas goes right back to the Time Of Oduduwa when the Daughter Of Oduduwa became the Mother Of the first Olowu Of Owu Which was the very first Yoruba Clan to be given a Beaded Crown (Owu l’Akoda Yoruba).

Cc Tao11, femisplash

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by Eriokanmi: 12:27pm On Jul 13, 2022
Christistruth00:

It was his mother that was a Benin Princess and even the Benin version accepts that he may have been the grandson of the Oba of Benin which he was on his mother’s side

On top of all that the awori Oba’s Of lagos have been of Ijesha Roots since the Time Of ologun kutere whose father Alagba was an Ijesha man from Ilesa in Osun State

You will agree that it is Yoruba Culture that Permits the Sons Of Princesses to occasionally inherit the Throne in certain Circumstances

it is not a Benin Custom and it has never happened in Benin’s entire History as the Practice is totally Alien to Benin

That is cast Iron evidence that the Royal Lineage was originally an Awori Yoruba one

Yorubas have had a Female Ooni called Luwo and a Female Alaafin called Orompoto before

The Present Oba Tejuosho Of Oke Ona inherited the Throne through his mother’s Lineage who was an Oke Ona Princess
No doubts

1 Like

Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by Christistruth00: 3:37pm On Jul 13, 2022
TAO11:
Lol. Thanks for the mention.

Lol.

Two pieces of information rightly knocks off this Bini fiction, and these pieces of information are:

(a) A Portuguese description of the area in the 1470s.

This Portuguese description of the area appears 100 odd years before the Edos (and other foreigners) first immigrated to this land of the Yoruba autochthones.

This Portuguese description is Lago de Koráme; also spelt Lago de Curamo.

This description first came from Ruy de Sequiera who explored the island area around the year 1472.

This piece of land (Eko island) is of course surrounded by water. He described this waterbody in relation to the island it surrounds.

Of course this island has long had a name prior to his arrival and exploration. The locals till date still call it Eko-Aromirẹ, i.e. Aromirẹ’s Eko.

Per Lagos traditions, Aromirẹ is the Awori prince who pioneered its use as oko (farm). This oko (farm) thus became an ereko (a farmstead dependency) of the adjacent Ido island capital.

His “Lago de Koráme” is his Portuguese description of the waterbody surrounding this island. This in English (partly) translates to “Lake of Koráme”.

Koráme (also spelt: Curamo) thus corresponds to the local name of the island. He didn’t rename the island.

[b]
A well known name of the island till date among the indigenous people is: “EkoAromi-rẹ”—also sometimes punned as: “EkoAromi-sa”.

His “Koráme”/“Curamo” messy spelling (of the island’s local name) corresponds to no else than EkoAromi-rẹ which is the islands local name.

His “Lago de Koráme” is “Lake of EkoAromi” which, for short, is “Lake of Eko” — his description of the water around the island.

He recorded this in 1472, and that is 100 odd years before the Edos/Binis immigrated to live on the island among the Yoruba autochthones.

In summation; there exists a textual evidence which
demonstrates that the island has had its name “Eko” centuries before the Edo/Binis first immigrated here.

(b) Lagos traditions has maintained for centuries that this island has had its name Eko long before it got transformed from a mere farmstead dependency of Ìdó into having actual settlements of its own.

This centuries-old tradition was captured into writing in the 1920s by A. Burns, a former Acting Governor of Nigeria. He collected & documented this tradition as follows:

Formerly [prior to its name as “Lagos”] it was known as Eko, which name it had received before any settlements were made on the island.” ~Alan C. Burns, “History of Nigeria,” (1929), p. 44.

In summation; the island has had its name “Eko” long, long before the mid-1500s when the Edos (Binis) and the other immigrants first contemplated immigrating to this island of the Yoruba autochthones. [/b]
————

In other words, while the Bini kingdom may continue to bestow the word as a chieftain title, the language of the Edos continues to fail to give us an etymological derivation/meaning of the word itself.

As we have been informed by the Bini dictionary, this word does not belong originally in the Bini language.

The original Yoruba word as is well known is “Oshodi” (i.e. Oṣòdì). It entered the Benin lexicon as: Ósòdìn

In other words, its etymological meaning can only be found in the Yoruba language, as broken down below:

Oṣòdì = Oṣ’òdì = O ṣe òdì = Oṣ’òdì = Oṣòdì

The most relevant of these etymological components is the word: “òdì”.

This word translates literally into English as: “the inferior contrast in a pair”.

Oṣòdì = Oṣ’òdì = O ṣe òdì.

The Yoruba article “o” here is the noun-maker which in English literally is: “that which”.

The Yoruba word “ṣe” translates literally as: “do”, “act”.

The literal translation of the Yoruba word “Oṣòdì“ is:

That which acts as the inferior contrast in a pair”.
————
As a historical compliment to the foregoing linguistic background, this specific word is mostly remembered to have emerged in Lagos in relation to a certain Nupe man whose actual name is Landuji.

Landuji from Nupeland lived in the Eko palace since a little boy. He grew up to later serve as King Kosoko’s loyal war captain and right-hand man.

Being always in his master’s company as his loyal war captain, right-hand man, and representative; Landuji for all practical intents & purposes appeared as a duo with his master, the king.

He earned and lived the title: Oṣòdì [lit: one who acts as òdì (the lesser complement of a duo) to the king].

Hence the “name” which he is most remembered by today, viz. Chief Oṣodi Tapa. Tapa being the Yoruba name for “Nupe”.

Instead of the title “Oṣòdì”, some Yoruba kingdoms use it as “Òdì-Ọba” [lit. The king’s òdì — i.e. the king’s (lesser) contrast]. While others use other descriptions for the same role or title.

Yes the Edos/Binis and many other immigrants came to trade/settle on the island in the mid-1500s.

They were welcomed by the autochthonous Yorubas landowners who have been there for centuries prior.
——
The Eko ọbas do NOT DRESS like Edo ọbas in any way, shape, or form. Please point me to one similarity (just one) between the two kings’ dressings.

Thanks.
——
There is no where in the whole wide world, where the present Eko king (Ọba Akiolu) said his dressing or any of his predecessors’ is similar to Ẹdo kings’ dressing.

The most he has mentioned is that there is a strong connection between the Eko monarchy and the Bini monarchy. Specifically, the Eko king called Ado can trace his descent to a certain Bini king — but via his mother. His father being a Yorùbá noble from Isheri.

Full blooded? How so? I thought your dad is Ẹdo just now.

Oh by Lagosian you mean you’re a non-indigene of Lagos who live in Lagos (perhaps from birth or from a latter time)?

Cheers.

Cc: ASAPFERG

Fantastic Research !!

Lagos was already called Eko Aromire by the Awori before the Portuguese arrived in 1472 It was Pronounced Korame by the Portuguese and it was over a Century before the Benin Arrived in Lagos and the Portuguese had already documented Eko Aromire Of the Awori as Korame

Osifekunde also said the Ijebu called the Island Eko , Benin called it Korame after the Portuguese pronunciation of Eko Aromire

1 Like

Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by TAO11(f): 4:47pm On Jul 13, 2022
Christistruth00:

The Awori Onikoyi, Oniru, Ojora Royal families of Lagos all initially inherited their Titles and Lands through their Maternal lineage, this is permitted in Yoruba Culture and the Practice among the Yorubas goes right back to the Time Of Oduduwa when the Daughter Of Oduduwa became the Mother Of the first Olowu Of Owu Which was the very first Yoruba Clan to be given a Beaded Crown (Owu l’Akoda Yoruba).

Cc Tao11, femisplash
Good. I love that angle.

The strict patrilineal Bini’s practice in contrast with the core Yoruba’s which sometimes defer to the matrilineal line.

It proves again that the Eko monarchy/Aṣipa-line was indeed Yoruba as the old Lagos account insist.

For allowing a prince (i.e. Kutere) the right to the throne via his mother side.

5 Likes

Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by Christistruth00: 7:20pm On Jul 13, 2022
TAO11:
Good. I love that angle.

The strict patrilineal Bini practice in contrast with the core Yorubas which sometimes defer to the matrilineal line.

It proves again that the Eko monarchy/Aṣipa-line was indeed Yoruba as the old Lagos account insist.

For allowing a prince the right to the throne via his mother side.

Thanks

Also the first Oluwo Of Iwo was the son of Luwo the Female Ooni, the Obas of the Iwo kingdom got their beaded Crown and Lineage to Oduduwa through her

1 Like

Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by OKOATA(m): 8:46am On Jul 19, 2022
emee701:
Half/fake yoruba. You know it is the truth. Your mum is igbo while your dad is from ekiti. You arent real yoruba
Guy hope you don calm down now? You wey de shout I be half Igbo/Half Yoruba, I hope with what happened in osun you can call all the Yorubas there half igbo, half Yoruba. No dey mumu yourself alaye.
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by emee701(m): 9:04am On Jul 19, 2022
OKOATA:
Guy hope you don calm down now? You wey de shout I be half Igbo/Half Yoruba, I hope with what happened in osun you can call all the Yorubas there half igbo, half Yoruba. No dey mumu yourself alaye.
Adeleke is a yoruba man voted by yorubas. No real yoruba man would leave tinubu to vote obi except fake/half yorubas
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by OKOATA(m): 10:35am On Jul 19, 2022
emee701:
Adeleke is a yoruba man voted by yorubas. No real yoruba man would leave tinubu to vote obi except fake/half yorubas
You be one of those paid urchins, your tears dey very sweet to me. grin
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by emee701(m): 11:11am On Jul 19, 2022
OKOATA:
You be one of those paid urchins, your tears dey very sweet to me. grin
Fake yoruba shut up. You aren't one of us. Check front page for tinubu's visit to adeboye
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by OKOATA(m): 11:51am On Jul 19, 2022
emee701:
Fake yoruba shut up. You aren't one of us. Check front page for tinubu's visit to adeboye
You this mumu go and sit down with your rotten mouth, So pastor David Abioye is also a half Igbo half Yoruba when he said church should vote for Obi and not vote for Cassava abi. No worry when election starts proper you will have lots of half Igbo, half Yoruba to deal with. I'm not in your Agbado and Cassava league. Go and rest.
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by VladimirPutiin(m): 11:53am On Jul 19, 2022
khadaffi:

Please remove winners from that list. If you have not heard of Oyedepo's message encouraging his members to vote for someone from their faith, search for it. As for the others they will soon speak up. Most of them have spoken it's just that you have not heard. No pastor will like to give publicity to such statement. In my church when the pastor was about to make such statement he switched off the mic.

As for the OP you should be ashamed of yourself. The SW or the Yorubas have not in anyway supported Tinubu in any of the nonsense he is doing. He is totally on his own. I suspect you have a mission with this thread though

Why did he switch off the mic ? Is he scared ?
This is the time to speak out not minding who ox is gored
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by emee701(m): 12:21pm On Jul 19, 2022
OKOATA:
You this mumu go and sit down with your rotten mouth, So pastor David Abioye is also a half Igbo half Yoruba when he said church should vote for Obi and not vote for Cassava abi. No worry when election starts proper you will have lots of half Igbo, half Yoruba to deal with. I'm not in your Agbado and Cassava league. Go and rest.
Eran shut up. You aren't one of us. you aren't real yoruba
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by OKOATA(m): 12:33pm On Jul 19, 2022
emee701:
Eran shut up. You aren't one of us. you aren't real yoruba
werey oloribu omo, too much cassava wey you chop na why you go blind you no dey see wetin dey happen out there. May leprosy chop all your fingers, omo ote. Na kwashiorkor you go get last last. Olofo. Sha no de mention me again for your life. Enu bi enu asin.
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by oyatz(m): 1:00pm On Jul 19, 2022
NwaIdeato:
The SW due to their greed for power have unwittingly sold the North a perfect ace card to use and politically dominate Nigeria for a very long time...by agreeing to the Muslim/Muslim ticket, the South West have now given the North the impetus to dare Nigeria and even float a North/North ticket in the nearest future...after all if we are seeing a time in Nigeria's political history when a Muslim/Muslim ticket is allowed...who's to say the North will not attempt a North/North ticket soon? And who will stop them if they do?

Honestly yorubas are the biggest problems we have in Nigeria, now the indigenous Northern Christians have seen through the dishonesty and duplicity of the yorubas, the South South are now disengaging themselves from yaribas...the few poor Yaribaa Christians are helpless and silent...the entire South and Middle Belt are now cutting off the SW...we're seeing a political dynamic where the only friends of the SW will be the core Northern Muslims against the rest of Nigeria

Bros, start campaigning for Dr Rabiu Musa Kwankanso now!

Kwankanso's running mate is a BISHOP and this will protect Christianity in Nigeria.
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by oyatz(m): 1:02pm On Jul 19, 2022
newbornmacho:

I have to agree. The yoruba Christians in politics have been a disappointment. Just look at fayemi, akeredolu etc all rooting for a Muslim after 8 years of Muslim rule.
Ok how about the clergy? What is adeboye saying? Nothing! Not giving the church direction Because it's not an osinbajo or some other yoruba on the ticket .

I'm totally disappointed

Vote for Dr Rabiu Musa Kwankanso, his Deputy is a BISHOP!
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by oyatz(m): 1:03pm On Jul 19, 2022
DispatcherLagos:
I always knew churches are politicized and to a very high extent tribal.
Imagine the silence of the "owners of these churches"
Redeem christian church of God
Winners
MFM
Deeper life
Etc
Just because Tinubu is Yoruba like them, they've all gone mute on this

They are now rooting for Dr Rabiu Musa Kwankanso who has chosen a Bishop as his running mate.
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by emee701(m): 1:09pm On Jul 19, 2022
OKOATA:
werey oloribu omo, too much cassava wey you chop na why you go blind you no dey see wetin dey happen out there. May leprosy chop all your fingers, omo ote. Na kwashiorkor you go get last last. Olofo. Sha no de mention me again for your life. Enu bi enu asin.
Olofo oloriburuku fake yoruba in tears
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by newbornmacho(m): 4:27pm On Jul 19, 2022
oyatz:

Vote for Dr Rabiu Musa Kwankanso, his Deputy is a BISHOP!

How can a Muslim take over from buhari ?
How ??
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by oyatz(m): 5:15pm On Jul 19, 2022
newbornmacho:

How can a Muslim take over from buhari ?
How ??

Anybody that wins will be sworn-in.

So it's better to avail yourself with the opportunity of having a respected man of God and a Bishop as the Vice-president.
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by newbornmacho(m): 5:17pm On Jul 19, 2022
oyatz:

Anybody that wins will be sworn-in.

So it's better to avail yourself with the opportunity of having a respected man of God and a Bishop as the Vice-president.

No. Sorry
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by khadaffi(m): 10:50pm On Jul 19, 2022
VladimirPutiin:

Why did he switch off the mic ? Is he scared ?
This is the time to speak out not minding who ox is gored

As I am not the pastor I will not be able to answer this. I'm also not related to those in the helm of affairs in the church. I'm just any other regular member
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by tctrills: 11:00pm On Jul 19, 2022
NwaIdeato:
The SW due to their greed for power have unwittingly sold the North a perfect ace card to use and politically dominate Nigeria for a very long time...by agreeing to the Muslim/Muslim ticket, the South West have now given the North the impetus to dare Nigeria and even float a North/North ticket in the nearest future...after all if we are seeing a time in Nigeria's political history when a Muslim/Muslim ticket is allowed...who's to say the North will not attempt a North/North ticket soon? And who will stop them if they do?

Honestly yorubas are the biggest problems we have in Nigeria, now the indigenous Northern Christians have seen through the dishonesty and duplicity of the yorubas, the South South are now disengaging themselves from yaribas...the few poor Yaribaa Christians are helpless and silent...the entire South and Middle Belt are now cutting off the SW...we're seeing a political dynamic where the only friends of the SW will be the core Northern Muslims against the rest of Nigeria
This is pure tribalism. Why blame a region of millions of people for the stupidity of one man. Please be careful. Foolish comments like these a capable of derailing the millions of Yorubas who do not support Tinubu. You need wisdom.
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by God1stson(m): 11:49pm On Jul 19, 2022
khadaffi:

Please remove winners from that list. If you have not heard of Oyedepo's message encouraging his members to vote for someone from their faith, search for it. As for the others they will soon speak up. Most of them have spoken it's just that you have not heard. No pastor will like to give publicity to such statement. In my church when the pastor was about to make such statement he switched off the mic.

As for the OP you should be ashamed of yourself. The SW or the Yorubas have not in anyway supported Tinubu in any of the nonsense he is doing. He is totally on his own. I suspect you have a mission with this thread though
Winners have been vociferous it's only redeem has been playing hide and seek.Even Catholics don wise up. Priest always tell you to get ur pvc and be obedient. This one no be when dem dey say to meddle with politics. They are waking up in droves since priest are kidnapped in droves.
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by Omoslim26: 11:57pm On Jul 19, 2022
DispatcherLagos:
I always knew churches are politicized and to a very high extent tribal.
Imagine the silence of the "owners of these churches"
Redeem christian church of God
Winners
MFM
Deeper life
Etc
Just because Tinubu is Yoruba like them, they've all gone mute on this

Bros you forget se campaign never start oo
Chil small.
The CAN and PFN has already opened the floor once campaign start proper others will take off from there.

Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by Christistruth00: 7:55pm On Jul 25, 2022
TAO11:
Good. I love that angle.

The strict patrilineal Bini practice in contrast with the core Yorubas which sometimes defer to the matrilineal line.

For allowing a prince the right to the throne via his mother side.

TAO11 could you believe that the Late Alake Of Egbaland Oba Lipede got to the Egba Throne through his Paternal Grandmother’s Lineage?

1 Like

Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by tctrills: 8:05pm On Jul 25, 2022
NwaIdeato:

What is the purpose of this thread, you tribalist
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by Princebizzie: 9:06pm On Jul 25, 2022
khadaffi:

What nonsense are you saying? These Southeast and Southsouth voted for APC in the last election even with a pastor as the Vice? So you want APC to please them and pick a Christian from the North when you know that Atiku a very strong Fulani man was in the race. Try to understand some politics here man, these idiotic Igbo people are just trying to manipulate unwise Yoruba people with Muslim-Muslim cry everyday, with the way Tinubu in particular (Yoruba generally) is hated, do you think they will vote for him even if he runs with the pope. Igbo are only interested in voting their son Obi or worse have said instead for a Yoruba to get there, Fulani should perpetuate themselves there. There is a long way to the election, must of our youths in SW following Obi will eventually not vote for him.

These Igbo people always coming online to rain abuses on SW candidate will learn a very big lesson. For your information, with APC having a strong Fulani man as Vice, there is possibility of Tinubu winning a lot of votes in the North and that is the headache of these Igbo never to rule Nigeria again in their life. They will learn some politics by next year.

Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by Olu317(m): 8:33pm On Aug 02, 2022
TAO11:
Lol. Thanks for the mention.

Lol.

Save “you & us” the stress of what we will never know whether true or false about your dad; as well as what will never be verifiable by us about him. It’s pointless.

Its non-verifiableness makes it irrelevant, and adds 0 weight to your position. It probably detracts from your position because it’s most likely another Edo lie.

It’s irrelevant in any case. So don’t even sweat it.

If what you mean is that the name “Eko” was given to this island (inside Lagos state) by the Ẹdos (i.e. Binis); I’m sorry to break it to you that such statement is yet another popular but miserably false Ẹdo assertion.

Two pieces of information rightly knocks off this Bini fiction, and these pieces of information are:

(a) A Portuguese description of the area in the 1470s.

This Portuguese description of the area appears 100 odd years before the Edos (and other foreigners) first immigrated to this land of the Yoruba autochthones.

This Portuguese description is Lago de Koráme; also spelt Lago de Curamo.

This description first came from Ruy de Sequiera who explored the island area around the year 1472.

This piece of land (Eko island) is of course surrounded by water. He described this waterbody in relation to the island it surrounds.

Of course this island has long had a name prior to his arrival and exploration. The locals till date still call it Eko-Aromirẹ, i.e. Aromirẹ’s Eko.

Per Lagos traditions, Aromirẹ is the Awori prince who pioneered its use as oko (farm). This oko (farm) thus became an ereko (a farmstead dependency) of the adjacent Ido island capital.

His “Lago de Koráme” is his Portuguese description of the waterbody surrounding this island. This in English (partly) translates to “Lake of Koráme”.

Koráme (also spelt: Curamo) thus corresponds to the local name of the island. He didn’t rename the island.

A well known name of the island till date among the indigenous people is: “EkoAromi-rẹ”—also sometimes punned as: “EkoAromi-sa”.

His “Koráme”/“Curamo” messy spelling (of the island’s local name) corresponds to no else than EkoAromi-rẹ which is the islands local name.

His “Lago de Koráme” is “Lake of EkoAromi” which, for short, is “Lake of Eko” — his description of the water around the island.

He recorded this in 1472, and that is 100 odd years before the Edos/Binis immigrated to live on the island among the Yoruba autochthones.

In summation; there exists a textual evidence which
demonstrates that the island has had its name “Eko” centuries before the Edo/Binis first immigrated here.

(b) Lagos traditions has maintained for centuries that this island has had its name Eko long before it got transformed from a mere farmstead dependency of Ìdó into having actual settlements of its own.

This centuries-old tradition was captured into writing in the 1920s by A. Burns, a former Acting Governor of Nigeria. He collected & documented this tradition as follows:

Formerly [prior to its name as “Lagos”] it was known as Eko, which name it had received before any settlements were made on the island.” ~Alan C. Burns, “History of Nigeria,” (1929), p. 44.

In summation; the island has had its name “Eko” long, long before the mid-1500s when the Edos (Binis) and the other immigrants first contemplated immigrating to this island of the Yoruba autochthones.
————
Yes the Binis immigrated here later and encountered this word “Eko” as the pre-existing name of this island.

This name thus entered the Bini lexicon since then as an alternative Bini word for “camp” — signifying their camp which they built on a corner of this island when they arrived in the mid-1500s.

FALSE!

First of all, it is NOT called “Oshodin” (“Oṣodin”) in the Edo (aka. Bini) language. Instead, the Edos/Binis call it “Osodin”.

Secondly, pick up the dictionary of the Bini language, you will find the additional details which reads: “Of Yoruba origin”.

In other words, the Bini lexicon tells you clearly that it is a word which originated from Yoruba language and which found its way into the Edo/Bini world/lexicon.

It is for this reason that the Edo/Bini language fails to make etymological sense of this word.

In other words, while the Bini kingdom may continue to bestow the word as a chieftain title, the language of the Edos continues to fail to give us an etymological derivation/meaning of the word itself.

As we have been informed by the Bini dictionary, this word does not belong originally in the Bini language.

The original Yoruba word as is well known is “Oshodi” (i.e. Oṣòdì). It entered the Benin lexicon as: Ósòdìn

In other words, its etymological meaning can only be found in the Yoruba language, as broken down below:

Oṣòdì = Oṣ’òdì = O ṣe òdì = Oṣ’òdì = Oṣòdì

The most relevant of these etymological components is the word: “òdì”.

This word translates literally into English as: “the inferior contrast in a pair”.

Oṣòdì = Oṣ’òdì = O ṣe òdì.

The Yoruba article “o” here is the noun-maker which in English literally is: “that which”.

The Yoruba word “ṣe” translates literally as: “do”, “act”.

The literal translation of the Yoruba word “Oṣòdì“ is:

That which acts as the inferior contrast in a pair”.
————
As a historical compliment to the foregoing linguistic background, this specific word is mostly remembered to have emerged in Lagos in relation to a certain Nupe man whose actual name is Landuji.

Landuji from Nupeland lived in the Eko palace since a little boy. He grew up to later serve as King Kosoko’s loyal war captain and right-hand man.

Being always in his master’s company as his loyal war captain, right-hand man, and representative; Landuji for all practical intents & purposes appeared as a duo with his master, the king.

He earned and lived the title: Oṣòdì [lit: one who acts as òdì (the lesser complement of a duo) to the king].

Hence the “name” which he is most remembered by today, viz. Chief Oṣodi Tapa. Tapa being the Yoruba name for “Nupe”.

Instead of the title “Oṣòdì”, some Yoruba kingdoms use it as “Òdì-Ọba” [lit. The king’s òdì — i.e. the king’s (lesser) contrast]. While others use other descriptions for the same role or title.

Yes the Edos/Binis and many other immigrants came to trade/settle on the island in the mid-1500s.

They were welcomed by the autochthonous Yorubas landowners who have been there for centuries prior.
——
The Eko ọbas do NOT DRESS like Edo ọbas in any way, shape, or form. Please point me to one similarity (just one) between the two kings’ dressings.

Thanks.
——
There is no where in the whole wide world, where the present Eko king (Ọba Akiolu) said his dressing or any of his predecessors’ is similar to Ẹdo kings’ dressing.

The most he has mentioned is that there is a strong connection between the Eko monarchy and the Bini monarchy. Specifically, the Eko king called Ado can trace his descent to a certain Bini king — but via his mother. His father being a Yorùbá noble from Isheri.

Full blooded? How so? I thought your dad is Ẹdo just now.

Oh by Lagosian you mean you’re a non-indigene of Lagos who live in Lagos (perhaps from birth or from a latter time)?

Cheers.

Cc: ASAPFERG
Following
Re: The SW Seriously Owes The Entire South And Northern Christians An Apology... by Christistruth00: 9:09pm On Aug 03, 2022
tinsel:
The way Igbos are navigating the politics of 2023, they will be the losers. They are fighting too hard to make this election a christian/moslem thing. This will not favour Peter Obi.

Politics and Diplomacy is just not their Cup Of Tea

We are still trying to explain to some People that Political Election Campaigning is not the same as Tribal War or inter Village Combat

There is not need to threaten to behead or Shoot those who speak against or who will not vote for your Candidate

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Terrifying View Of The Split Up Of Nigeria - Apocalypse for North & South? / ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 / Festival Of Bare Breast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.