Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,607 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record (45990 Views)

World Athletics Ratifies Tobi Amusan's Hurdles World Record / Tobi Amusan Breaks 100M Hurdles World Record / Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 26, 2022
aribisala0:

Well my point is the claim that
Is neither true nor logical. Many are caught for the first time after winning something.
Yes medal stripping has dropped , logically this could be better testing or athletes are better at beating the tests

Well, if the previous tests revealled what they called 'abnormal parameters'...that would raise suspicions.

That's why medal stripping during major competitions is becoming rarer...they get caught before major competitions...

(The reason why they are stricter is what happened with athletes from many countries over the years eg East German athletes and even American athletes taking illict drugs out of competition to gain an advantage and then stopping before competition..and testing 'negative')

Yes, the point you make used to be true in the pre-Dick Pound, and BALCO days, nowadays, WADA does frequent testing throughout the year. If Amusan was on drugs, they would have gotten her long before. There would have been strange twitches in her physiologic measurements.

(However if Amusan is on a new synthetic drug that hasn't registered on WADA's radar yet..that's another matter....which is how the BALCO geng got away with it, until someone sent a syringe of the stuff to a approved lab)
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by codemaniacs: 9:28am On Jul 26, 2022
RepoMan007:
Stop playing the race card. Look at the argument of the doubters. How likely that so many runner were setting PBs(Personal Bests) and the winner broke the previous world best? Think and stop the blind race argument.

read the below quote..

Druss:

Some African Americans can't stand Africans. Michael is one of them.

2 Likes

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 26, 2022
Antimarraige:
Painment grin
Especially that Johnson. He has been in pains since Bolt smashed all his records.
You know it pained him like Bolt his prodigal son sold all his properties

2 Likes

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by aribisala0(m): 9:30am On Jul 26, 2022
theafricanchild:
If it were to be that she is related to Usein Bolt or Mariam Jone the record will not be questionable but because it's a name that they can't pronounce and for the fact that she is from Nigeria the record is debatable. What sort of hatred and racism is this. Am beginning to feel that this white folks have low self esteem ooh cos I don't understand.
There is NO EVIDENCE of racism. Michael Johnson is very black
This statement is what smacks of low self esteem.

With racism you MUST have evidence otherwise you end up sounding foolish.

I do not see any hatred or racism at all. She ran a race and not only her but several of her competitors ran PERSONAL BESTS so there is nothing wrong in raising doubt. If anything raising doubt HELPS HER because after the scrutiny if her record is upheld then her position is stronger.
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Omoslim26: 9:33am On Jul 26, 2022
Na their wahala be dat,homegirl don cast everywhere with hardwork and Grace e come shock them like bubu shocky the shocker grin

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Litmus: 9:37am On Jul 26, 2022
philipobiz:

See. Michael Johnson big head. When he was breaking records in 200 and 400 meters like water nobody talk. Now he is running his mouth like water. He is jealous

It has seemed to me Johnson has issues with Nigerians.

Track and Field is my favourite sports. I watch it avidly, especially BBC coverage. Johnson always seem to avoid saying anything positive about Nigerian athletes that make it through various qualifying rounds. His features always seemed to turn sour and he would talk through tight lips if he had finally to acknowledge a Nigerian athlete because that athlete did something special in a heat or made it to the final.

Colin Jackson was the only one that seem generous of spirit.

2 Likes

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by aribisala0(m): 9:39am On Jul 26, 2022
twentyfivekobo:

Well, if the previous tests revealled what they called 'abnormal parameters'...that would raise suspicions.

That's why medal stripping during major competitions is becoming rarer...they get caught before major competitions...

(The reason why they are stricter is what happened with athletes from many countries over the years eg East German athletes and even American athletes taking illict drugs out of competition to gain an advantage and then stopping before competition..and testing 'negative')

Yes, the point you make used to be true in the pre-Dick Pound, and BALCO days, nowadays, WADA does frequent testing throughout the year. If Amusan was on drugs, they would have gotten her long before. There would have been strange twitches in her physiologic measurements.

(However if Amusan is on a new synthetic drug that hasn't registered on WADA's radar yet..that's another matter....which is how the BALCO geng got away with it, until someone sent a syringe of the stuff to a approved lab)
My point is that your claim
twentyfivekobo:

If she was on drugs, they would have known since.

IS WRONG. All these long story does not change that. There are many different kinds of drugs. Some drugs disappear or are undetectable within 24 hours especially water soluble drugs unlike some steroids. No one is tested everyday and the pattern of use and other tricks can help evade detection e,g cocaine will not be detected after 2 days so unless you test an athlete every two days you won't detect it
We do not know why medal stripping is lower certainly testing plays a role but it may be because athletes have smart scientists helping them to beat tests.
Tests can be beaten they are not perfect
I am not talking about Amusan AT ALL. I am talking about drug testing in general.
People may not use drugs all the time and
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Ikea81: 9:40am On Jul 26, 2022
Why are they shocked, the people who win it for the USA, Brits and Jaimacans are all Africans now. The realest one just won this time around..
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 26, 2022
aribisala0:
My point is that your claim
IS WRONG. All these long story does not change that. There are many different kinds of drugs. Some drugs disappear or are undetectable within 24 hours especially water soluble drugs unlike some steroids. No one is tested everyday and the pattern of use and other tricks can help evade detection e,g cocaine will not be detected after 2 days so unless you test an athlete every two days you won't detect it
We do not know why medal stripping is lower certainly testing plays a role but it may be because athletes have smart scientists helping them to beat tests.
Tests can be beaten they are not perfect
I am not talking about Amusan AT ALL. I am talking about drug testing in general.
People may not use drugs all the time and

Good morning. Thanks for your time.
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by ransomed: 9:45am On Jul 26, 2022
Lindane is a very good drink they need to take so that they can see in stereo for proper analysis.
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by KosiGee(m): 9:45am On Jul 26, 2022
aribisala0:
There is NO EVIDENCE of racism. Michael Johnson is very black
This statement is what smacks of low self esteem.

With racism you MUST have evidence otherwise you end up sounding foolish.

I do not see any hatred or racism at all. She ran a race and not only her but several of her competitors ran PERSONAL BESTS so there is nothing wrong in raising doubt. If anything raising doubt HELPS HER because after the scrutiny if her record is upheld then her position is stronger.

There was no racism in the broadcast. I watched the race and I have it on record as well, I’ve watched that race many times since.

I didn’t see any indication of racist commentary, there were all blacks with the exception of Jessica Ennis. It’s silly to even mention racism here but there clearly was bias. They were doubtful of the timing when Amusan ran 12:12. Surprise, shock and disbelief captured their initial reaction. It wasn’t expected, however after the initial bleep about timing, they started to praise her but with some reservations.

Johnson looked at the race again and saw that Harrison, the former world champion with a personal best of 12:20 ran a good race but was given a good gap by Amusan.

I think the shock and doubt were as result of certain inconsistency in Amusan’s time. They expected a smooth transition from her 12:40 during the heat to maybe 12:35, 12:30, 12:28 etc….but Amusan transited from 12:40 to a surprising 12:12 hence the doubts about the time. If Kendra Harrison or Camacho Quin had ran 12:12, I don’t think a few eyebrows would’ve been raised because they have had some consistencies with the times and winnings. No one would expect Amusan to run at such pace…

Even in the finals, Amusan’s odd to win was 21/20. That would’ve made me some money. . I lost money on Camacho Quin. A bet on Amusan with a reasonable sum would’ve made anyone rich….I screen shot this days before the race.

2 Likes

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Pristine664: 9:46am On Jul 26, 2022
aribisala0:
Must you talk? If you do not have knowledge on a subject keep quiet and educate yourself. What was the previous record which she broke?

All these small kids that think they can just open their mouth wahhh and talk anyhow to anyone online. grin

cheesy
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by DOTian: 9:46am On Jul 26, 2022
ArchiLimited:
If a British or Jamaican had smashed the record they would praise her for being a legend. But a Nigerian has done it and because they can't wrap their heads around the fact that something legendary can come out of Nigeria, they've brought out their empty pundit English to analyze emptiness. Don't just let Nigerians swear for you guys. This is one thing that has given the nation joy recently in the midst of all we're passing through so let us enjoy our girl in peace plix angry

Modified:
All of you people quoting me to say I'm playing the race card, I think you guys have self esteem issues. Has the world athletics organisation who organised the tournament come out to invalidate her record? So because a couple of British blokes spoke we should take it immediately as the truth because anything the British say becomes authority? Wake up and stop sucking up to the westerners! Stand and have some self worth. They won't be celebrating Amusan today if she was always playing second fiddle to her western opponents.

Nigeria is littered with a whole lot of folks being plagued by low self-esteem issues. Ignore them assiduously. It's everywhere and it can be frustrating. In politics, science, religion, travels, education, sports.., name it! Anything said by the white man is the fact and must be believed more than anything said by the black man. That's why one David Cameron and Barrak Obama foisted a deadwood of a president on them and it took them 8 years to notice that they have been scammed.

2 Likes

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by aribisala0(m): 9:47am On Jul 26, 2022
Pristine664:

All these small kids that think they can just open their mouth wahhh and talk anyhow to anyone online. grin

cheesy
Are you sure
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by izibili44: 9:50am On Jul 26, 2022
You are right on this. The fact remain we won it and she has been paid.
ArchiLimited:
If a British or Jamaican had smashed the record they would praise her for being a legend. But a Nigerian has done it and because they can't wrap their heads around the fact that something legendary can come out of Nigeria, they've brought out their empty pundit English to analyze emptiness. Don't just let Nigerians swear for you guys. This is one thing that has given the nation joy recently in the midst of all we're passing through so let us enjoy our girl in peace plix angry

Modified:
All of you people quoting me to say I'm playing the race card, I think you guys have self esteem issues. Has the world athletics organisation who organised the tournament come out to invalidate her record? So because a couple of British blokes spoke we should take it immediately as the truth because anything the British say becomes authority? Wake up and stop sucking up to the westerners! Stand and have some self worth. They won't be celebrating Amusan today if she was always playing second fiddle to her western opponents.

4 Likes

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by AKWATGOLD1(m): 9:50am On Jul 26, 2022
Tobi Amusan is not only runner in the race, therefore all the runners is subjected to same seconds of time deducted from Nigeria legend.
WatchYourSix:

They said wind they push the runners...
But them no dey consider when the wind direction resist the speed of the runners..

All na scam...the girl run 12.06sec...them use ojoro push am back 12.12 sec.....say na wind push am...
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by aribisala0(m): 9:53am On Jul 26, 2022
AKWATGOLD1:
Tobi Amusan is not only runner in the race, therefore all the runners is subjected to same seconds of time deducted from Nigeria legend.
It was not only her time that was questioned. Several others ran a personal best. So the questioning was of the TIMING and it was not just for her but for others who were setting personal or National records
So this was not just about her. Let us retain perspective
People(journalists) were asking a legitimate question. WHy are there so many records in this race. That is their job.
Normally we tend to see that when the wind factor is above what is legal. That was not the case but their questioning was right . It was not just about Amusan in fact if the others had not set records too it might not have been an issue
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by WatchYourSix: 9:54am On Jul 26, 2022
AKWATGOLD1:

Who cares about losers....u get 35/100 Dem deduct 5 marks u still dey complain....

Let me ask ..so the same wind speed happens exactly on the semi final and final race...??

Another question do they consider direction of wind when its facing and resisting the runners??
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by iramure(m): 9:56am On Jul 26, 2022
While i celebrate her for the feat achieved, i believe, the anti doping agancy will soon reason her matter
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by ikdaddy01(m): 9:58am On Jul 26, 2022
Ndi ara. Dem don come start again.

2 Likes

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by delpee(f): 10:00am On Jul 26, 2022
They will soon investigate the possibility of her having 1% Cheetah genes! undecided

Yeye racists.

2 Likes

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by shadrach77: 10:00am On Jul 26, 2022
Mastakija:
They should update Google already cheesy
Abi wetin i dey miss for here cheesy
You are typing the wrong thing. Just type world record for 100 metres hurdle
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Kachi4christ(m): 10:01am On Jul 26, 2022
Put fury there please
olisaEze:
If she had broken the record while wearing British colors, they’d be claiming her in a hurry like they did Anthony Joshua. But she did it in an African nation’s colors, nothing good is supposed to come out of Africa especially Nigeria as far as these racists are concerned! undecided
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Whyte96(m): 10:01am On Jul 26, 2022
Racists and bad belle people they always believe they should be ontop always... Awon werey gbo gbo... Shine on girl... Congrat once again.
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by delpee(f): 10:02am On Jul 26, 2022
aribisala0:
It was not only her time that was questioned. Several others ran a personal best. So the questioning was of the TIMING and it was not just for her but for others who were setting personal or National records
So this was not just about her. Let us retain perspective
People(journalists) were asking a legitimate question. WHy are there so many records in this race. That is their job.
Normally we tend to see that when the wind factor is above what is legal. That was not the case but their questioning was right . It was not just about Amusan in fact if the others had not set records too it might not have been an issue

Thanks for the clarification. I see your point.

2 Likes

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Bestbeelieve: 10:03am On Jul 26, 2022
to all those saying those pundits have a point i have this to say.... you are sick!!! mentally sick!!!
that girl broke the record 2ce!!! with the same fkin clock or timer which was used throughout the tournament, it was not manufactured specifically for her event! they can do all the test they wanna do! fk dem all!!! are they not there to break records or are they there to wave to the crowd? do you know how competitive that field was? champions of champions! i throway salut give Tobi! she over try!
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by xeju: 10:05am On Jul 26, 2022
OBTMOS:
Racist people
But Michael Johnson is black na
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by aribisala0(m): 10:06am On Jul 26, 2022
delpee:

Thanks for the clarification. I see your point.
It is like this
Somebody let me say a Hausa man scores 390 in JAMB the highest in history Then several others score 379.378,377 etc and someone questions the whole exam but Hausa people get up and say is it because he is Hausa. The query is not just with the 390 but the unusual high scores in THE SAME exam. After investigation it is shown there was nothing wrong with the exam or marking.Fine!!

Does it mean those who questioned were wrong to question or that they did so because they hate Hausa?

What I saw was NOT JUST about Amusan
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by SamOchuko: 10:06am On Jul 26, 2022
ogbiwa:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/other-sports/womens-hurdles-world-record-championships-27566613

Yeah they will question it, it is expected, would they have questioned it had she been an American, Briton or Jamaican? You guys even descended so low as to check her shoes? Bloody hypocrite’s, she’s the world best and there’s nothing you guys can do about it, congrats angel, keep on making us proud.
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by Bestbeelieve: 10:10am On Jul 26, 2022
SamOchuko:

Yeah they will question it, it is expected, would they have questioned it had she been an American, Briton or Jamaican? You guys even descended so low as to check her shoes? Bloody hypocrite’s, she’s the world best and there’s nothing you guys can do about it, congrats angel, keep on making us proud.

help me ask them. did anyone question their wins? look at the American who ran 200m final like he's on drugs! even ben johnson no run reach am did anyone question tail wind?? instead we dey hear the next usain bolt!! woo thunda fire an pundit and their supporters!!

3 Likes

Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by aribisala0(m): 10:12am On Jul 26, 2022
SamOchuko:

Nobody checked her shoes. Stop being a victim
Read and comprehend what actually happened. It did not happen the way you are depicting it .
They questioned the timings of most people in that race because several people ran a time they had never run before
Several. Not only Amusan. They were not questioning just Amusan but the times for several others too which is unusual for so many people to run a personal best in one race. They are journalists and they did their job
Re: BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record by enonche85(m): 10:15am On Jul 26, 2022
ArchiLimited:

Modified:

I f i'm correct, the only positive thing to happen to Nigeria this year actually.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ahmed Musa To Open Sports Centre In Kaduna (Video, Photos) / Napoli Players Blame Osimhen For Champions League Exit / Argentina Vs Nigeria, Lessons Learnt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.