Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,522 members, 7,812,630 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? (3664 Views)

"We Started Out As Flower Boy And Girl” – Man Weds Childhood Crush / Who Is A Narcissist And How Are You Sure You Are Not Dating Or About To Date One / Can A Boy And A Girl Be Best Friends Without Falling In Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by kmaster007: 10:57pm On Jul 26, 2022
I have a very close male friend. We are not dating and we haven’t really done anything romantic although we have told each other almost everything about ourselves and we have spent a lot of time together gisting and generally having good times.

I just like him as a friend but I am not sexually attracted to him.

He actually hasn’t ever asked me out but sometimes he sends me some odd text messages talking about how much he cares for me and how much our friendship means to him and all that.

Also he has dated and broken up with about five girls since I knew him.

I see him as just a normal friend, more like a brother but I am beginning to suspect that he sees me as more than a friend because he gets angry when he sees me talking with other guys and he always tries to act over-protective.

It became so annoying that one day I had to ask him what his problem was. When I tried talking to him about this attitude of his, he got angry and started acting funny. Now we are not on talking terms because I told him to respect himself and give me some space.

He is my very good friend and I like him because he’s a nice guy and I don’t want to lose his friendship.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Bluezy13(m): 10:58pm On Jul 26, 2022
Yes but just for the meantime.

Reminds me of that Phone and charger meme... The charger was later plugged.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Choilila: 11:00pm On Jul 26, 2022
Yes. We're celebrating 7 years of friendship.

5 Likes

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by DriverX: 11:00pm On Jul 26, 2022
Can a goat and yam be best friends?

One of them must catch feelings. Doesn't always end well.

8 Likes

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Cypress042(m): 11:08pm On Jul 26, 2022
He's like a brother to you angry

Do you know this particular line of sentence can kill a man in a twinkle of an eyes

Consider the niggar op, although you may not like his simping attitude just consider him.

The niggar is just afraid you might reject him if he asks you out.

But please and please don't say he's like a brother to you, E get why cool

4 Likes

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Treasure17(m): 11:27pm On Jul 26, 2022
It's possible without having any deep feelings attach to it but in most cases emotions set in. Base on your narratives, it's obvious the guy likes you and want to take the friendship to the next level which for me there's nothing bad about it. The ball is in your court. After all people usually say it's a good thing to marry your friend.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Dukeolumidemans(m): 11:40pm On Jul 26, 2022
From experience nope...las las na chopping for bending corner e go end grin grin grin tongue

3 Likes

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by stanliwise(m): 11:43pm On Jul 26, 2022
kmaster007:
I have a very close male friend. We are not dating and we haven’t really done anything romantic although we have told each other almost everything about ourselves and we have spent a lot of time together gisting and generally having good times.

He actually hasn’t ever asked me out but sometimes he sends me some odd text messages talking about how much he cares for me and how much our friendship means to him and all that.

I see him as just a normal friend, more like a brother but I am beginning to suspect that he sees me as more than a friend because he gets angry when he sees me talking with other guys and he always tries to act over-protective.

It became so annoying that one day I had to ask him what his problem was. When I tried talking to him about this attitude of his, he got angry and started acting funny. Now we are not on talking terms because I told him to respect himself and give me some space.

He is my very good friend and I like him because he’s a nice guy and I don’t want to lose his friendship.
You’re an adult and you understand what is going on.

So what’s the question about?
If you don’t like him, don’t lead him on.
Allow him to concentrate on some other girls

7 Likes

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by ghettowriter(m): 11:57pm On Jul 26, 2022
The endgame is pleasant both ways
Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Nobody: 12:02am On Jul 27, 2022
kmaster007:

Didinrin, you sound like SS3 girl. You should be studying for neco chemistry practicals not boyfriend/man friend abi neighborhood mata.
For what it worths, hook him up with one of your friends or start calling him brother. E.g "Bro. Mike, good morning "
"Bro. James, hope you slept well?"
Take time to tell him the kind of guys you never wish do date. Make sure the qualities you mentioned are all his qualities.
If he doesn't get the gist after all these, then he is stupid. Severe the friendship; you do not want stupid people around you.

To other guys out here. If you like a girl, tell her the moment you meet her (if she agrees, date her, fvck her, etc. If she does not like you, let her go. Girls plenty wey need pen!s). Don't play Mr. Nice guy. Only idiots do that. Idiots like the Op's friend.

10 Likes

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by ITbomb(m): 1:19am On Jul 27, 2022
You dey joke with your God sent husband. Small girl wey dey wait for chemistry

The guy is obviously suffering and instead of you to fulfil his emotional needs, you are here forming "he is my very good friend"

If you are not giving the guy the cochie, let him go

9 Likes

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by rickleye: 1:51am On Jul 27, 2022
I laugh and let me explain myself so hear it goes .
My 2 cents
A lady can have as many guy friends as she wants but most of them once the opportunity presents itself will want to sleep with you. We won’t push the agenda but once you break up with your bf and you’re looking for a shoulder to cry on. We are perfect for the break up sex.
I used to think the opposite until a friend of mine recently came home from Australia. I hadn’t seen the dude since UNI days. He came to stay at our house and said he had been exchanging texts with dupe. Dupe was a brilliant and pretty girl who for some reason just never met the right guy. The problem was we both loved her and since we cherished our friendship we decided not to date her. She knew we liked her as we flirted back and forth . Steal a kiss there , grab a boob there , she will hug from behind and press those melons against the blades of my shoulders - dude I go weak. When I turn to kiss her she will kick below the belt and run away.
In any case - here we are . Both of us are married but he’s running solo. To cut a long story short. It’s like 10pm and we have been talking for like 10hours stopping only for meals and bathroom breaks. I ask when will she be going home she kept extending from 6 to 8 to 10pm. Saying we don’t need to drive her and that she will take a bolt .
In conclusion she spent 2 days and 3nights in the house with Dapo.
Both living it up like it should have been at Uni.

Can a guy and girl be close friends yes but only because the girl chooses so.
** If a girl gives you the green light and you don't take it - She may hate you for life.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Stephenmoka4(m): 2:41am On Jul 27, 2022
Yes, especially if I don't find her attractive or it's business/study related.

1 Like

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Kobojunkie: 3:14am On Jul 27, 2022
kmaster007:

Some folks don't understand what it means to respect those boundaries, particularly where another sex is involved. So you would need to keep drawing that line with your friend until he finally, eventually, hopefully, gets it that you are just not that into him. Some minds cannot handle that and simply abandon the relationship entirely while others might simply think that you just need more time. So...... undecided
Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Kobojunkie: 3:16am On Jul 27, 2022
Cypress042:
He's like a brother to you angry
Do you know that particular sentence can kill a man in a twinkle of an eye
Consider the niggar op, although you don't like his simping attitude just consider him.
The niggar is just afraid you might reject him if he asks you out.
But please and please don't say he's like a brother to you, to his hearing, E get why cool
Consider him because the world, even hers, should revolve around him and his libido? undecided

1 Like

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Kobojunkie: 3:17am On Jul 27, 2022
Treasure17:
It's possible without having any deep feelings attach to it but in most cases emotions set in. Base on your narratives, it's obvious the guy likes you and want to take the friendship to the next level which for me there's nothing bad about it. The ball is in your court. After all people usually say it's a good thing to marry your friend.
It isn't obvious the guy likes her, instead what you can say is he probably wants to lay her. After that, who knows if he will even consider her worth talking to. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Kobojunkie: 3:19am On Jul 27, 2022
stanliwise:

You’re an adult and you understand what is going on.

So what’s the question about?
If you don’t like him, don’t lead him on.
Allow him to concentrate on some other girls
She is not leading him since she has made it clear she is not that into him, and only wants what they have had which is friendship. No need to try to emotionally blackmail her into believing she is to blame for his actions. undecided

According to OP, she has dated 5 girls during the length of what is their friendship. She didn't stop him from concentrating on the girls... all 5 of them for that matter. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Kobojunkie: 3:21am On Jul 27, 2022
nijaomegacode:
Didinrin, you sound like SS3 girl. You should be studying for neco chemistry practicals not boyfriend/man friend abi neighborhood mata.
For what it worths, hook him up with one of your friends or start calling him brother. E.g "Bro. Mike, good morning "
"Bro. James, hope you slept well?"
Take time to tell him the kind of guys you never wish do date. Make sure the qualities you mentioned are all his qualities.
If he doesn't get the gist after all these, then he is stupid. Severe the friendship; you do not want stupid people around you.

To other guys out here. If you like a girl, tell her the moment you meet her (if she agrees, date her, fvck her, etc. If she does not like you, let her go. Girls plenty wey need pen!s). Don't play Mr. Nice guy. Only idiots do that. Idiots like the Op's friend.
This your comment reads pretty much like a didinrin report! undecided

1 Like

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Kobojunkie: 3:24am On Jul 27, 2022
ITbomb:
You dey joke with your God sent husband. Small girl wey dey wait for chemistry
The guy is obviously suffering and instead of you to fulfil his emotional needs, you are here forming "he is my very good friend"
If you are not giving the guy the cochie, let him go
Stop using God's name to lie to the OP. Who tell you say na God send the boy? undecided God go send her boy who go date 5 girls while friends with her? No be brain damage levels you dey perpetrate at that? Abeg, leave God name out of your jargon! undecided

OP, if he chooses to end the relationship because you don't want to date him, then don't feel guilty letting him go, please. Not everyone out there is mentally mature and that ain't your fault. Don't let anyone deceive you into lowering your standard abeg! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by stanliwise(m): 6:29am On Jul 27, 2022
Kobojunkie:
She is not leading him since she has made it clear she is not that into him, and only wants what they have had which is friendship. No need to try to emotionally blackmail her into believing she is to blame for his actions. undecided

According to OP, she has dated 5 girls during the length of what is their friendship. She didn't stop him from concentrating on the girls... all 5 of them for that matter. undecided
Noted.

But There is no really friendship between them, what is OP still doing with him. Both are playing a game.
Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by OGwales(m): 7:23am On Jul 27, 2022
Inside life
Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Petyprincess(f): 7:30am On Jul 27, 2022
Yes it possible but extremely rare.
I don’t even make male friends anymore because they end up trying to confess their feelings and it’s so annoying!!!

I was finally happy I have a male friend in school that cook for me whenever I am busy and was thanking God that finally I have a genuine friend, since we got home for holiday, he also started confessing his feelings for me even when he knows I have a partner, it’s honestly so tiring and sad.

Sometimes we ladies needs just a friend.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Gadafii: 8:07am On Jul 27, 2022
Hes nice guy, he’s a good guy Bla bla bla

You will go ahead and be attracted to tiff raffs and then shiit u up, you wil now have the effrontery to say men are scum, but you have a good side by your side all along

Men should stop being nice to this girls, be that bad guy, if you are not benefiting from her you have no business being a nice guy to her

2 Likes

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Wallade(m): 10:12am On Jul 27, 2022
kmaster007:

Well, it is possible to have an opposite sex as best of friend for a long time and stay like that but it is rare.

Often times, one or both of you will want the relationship to translate to more than friendship.

However, it is up to you guys. Besides, is Op in a romantic relationship? If not, please think about elevating that friendship to a romantic relationship. I didn't order it , I said think about it; it doesn't have to be him.
Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by posty56: 10:20am On Jul 27, 2022
unless the girl no fine or she doesn't find the boy attractive, yes cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Blunttruth: 10:21am On Jul 27, 2022
kmaster007:

Guys will always start developing feeling and imagining things, that's how men are wired. Once there's no blood relationship between you two, there's no way it won't cross a straight man's mind.

1 Like

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Treasure17(m): 10:42am On Jul 27, 2022
Petyprincess:
I don’t even make male friends anymore because they end up trying to confess their feelings and it’s so annoying!!!

I was finally happy I have a male friend in school that cook for me whenever I am busy and was thanking God that finally I have a genuine friend, since we got home for holiday, he also started confessing his feelings for me even when he knows I have a partner, it’s honestly so tiring and sad.

Lol.You can't blame the poor guy. Probably wanted to harvest what he nurtured. I think he should not have made the move considering the fact that he's aware you have a partner. Never had any ulterior motive towards my female friends in the Uni. Infact I knew who they were dating then. Both are married now self.
Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by slan87(m): 10:48am On Jul 27, 2022
Ask DRENATION,
Just exactly his predicament
Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Itzurboi(m): 10:51am On Jul 27, 2022
Yes, but they should try not to be meeting in eachother apartment during rainy season... E get why
Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by Itzurboi(m): 10:59am On Jul 27, 2022
Petyprincess:

Then make your partner that friend...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by EmzyT: 11:04am On Jul 27, 2022
Re: Can A Guy And Girl Be Close Friends Without Dating Or Romance? by infogenius(m): 12:31pm On Jul 27, 2022
kmaster007:

You won't loose his friendship because he will grow up. It isn't every lady i am close with that i date or sleep with. There must be well defined boundaries to every relationship. It's good you have told him to behave himself, this would put him in check.

Overtime you can reach out to him just to know how he is doing and also to let him know you still care as a friend and sister.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

If You Are Good In English Make A Sentence Starting with ''them'' / Should Marriage Base On Love Or Gynotype ? / Will You Allow Your Wife To Use Her Real Pictures On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.