Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,926 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? (2333 Views)

As A Programmer How Do You Learn/understand A New Language / I Want My Son To Be A Programmer, How Do I Go About It / Dear Python Programmer, How Do You Implement Interfaces, Abstract Classes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by dodgelord: 10:53pm On Jul 31, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

A lot of Nigerians still think programming is installing WordPress scripts and using elementor.
not that baddd. grin
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by doggedfighter(f): 10:53pm On Jul 31, 2022
dodgelord:
i swear
Small html n css. They begin to call themselves programmer.

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by dodgelord: 10:54pm On Jul 31, 2022
Deicide:
To be honest if you are well established I don't think this economy would even affect you.
d guy is a liar
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Deicide: 11:00pm On Jul 31, 2022
You guys that are bashing WordPress, money day there o cheesy
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by airsaylongcome: 11:18pm On Jul 31, 2022
Deicide:

Money dey am. A lot actually. The Wahala be say people wey sabi how to install WP go dey call themselves programmer. Na like Vulcanizer dey call himself engineer. Tire engineer maybe

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:20pm On Jul 31, 2022
Deicide:

Lol we use WordPress exclusively where we work. It's of recent we started adding other CMS and BAAS tools. Our present project is for one of the largest health insurance firms in the USA. A company that does over 3 billion USD in revenue yearly. Their whole website is done with WordPress. Of course this projects are much more complicated than installing a theme and elementor plugin and calling it a day.

You can absolutely never go wrong with WordPress but not the way Nigerians look at it. We are talking about learning programming. Learning data structures and algorithms. I have gotten leetcode hards for WordPress developer roles.

2 Likes

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jul 31, 2022
pocohantas:

Is it too much? cheesy cheesy
Okay, $45/hr.

Why do you think I am a GUY?

Part from the f on your username

Everything else says you're a girl lol

Your profile pic

You're interest in programming section

The nature of your comments
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by TheTraveler: 11:32pm On Jul 31, 2022
This thread na cruise
From pro PO to WordPress bashers

But make I no lie, this programming no easy, I have seen something since I started learning C, and ever since I began my journey into the programming world, no matter whatever progress I have made, I still feel like I haven't really done anything yet. So when I see people calling themselves pro just because they know some basics makes me feel like I'm doing it wrong.
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jul 31, 2022
Those people who bash Wordpress are either new to coding, have never gotten a website dev gig all their lives, dont have up to 1 dev gig per year or don't just know wordpress.

If u actually get up to 3 jobs per month as a freelancer, then you will make themeforest and codecanyon your home lol.

grin

What u are killing ur self coding for 3-4 months... i will deliver in a week and get same pay grin grin

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by emetisuccess(m): 12:38am On Aug 01, 2022
That's is why they come online to price a programmer for ecommerce site for 20k. I just they look them the laugh. Oga carry ur job go give another programmer I no dey do oo. My brother, e no easy ooo. Na to keep on firing hard oooo, cos after buhari regime work go yapa ooo.
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by nikky5(m): 8:09am On Aug 01, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Lol we use WordPress exclusively where we work. It's of recent we started adding other CMS and BAAS tools. Our present project is for one of the largest health insurance firms in the USA. A company that does over 3 billion USD in revenue yearly. Their whole website is done with WordPress. Of course this projects are much more complicated than installing a theme and elementor plugin and calling it a day.

You can absolutely never go wrong with WordPress but not the way Nigerians look at it. We are talking about learning programming. Learning data structures and algorithms. I have gotten leetcode hards for WordPress developer roles.

Thanks. It's wonderful.
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by nikky5(m): 10:31am On Aug 01, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
Those people who bash Wordpress are either new to coding, have never gotten a website dev gig all their lives, dont have up to 1 dev gig per year or don't just know wordpress.

If u actually get up to 3 jobs per month as a freelancer, then you will make themeforest and codecanyon your home lol.

grin

What u are killing ur self coding for 3-4 months... i will deliver in a week and get same pay grin grin

God bless you sir. You are just on point. We are both OBIdent.
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by pocohantas(f): 11:29am On Aug 01, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Part from the f on your username

Everything else says you're a girl lol
Your profile pic

You're interest in programming section
The nature of your comments

I didn’t even know this topic is in the Programming section. Would have thought it is Careers. Someone I follow commented and that is how I got here. Not like I have that much interest in Programming section.

That is Kayperry on my dp. He spends more time on my profile, so he might as well see himself there every time.

GREATIGBOMAN:

But do you think they are PROGRAMMERS?

I agree with the themeforest part for ease of execution. I don’t know the other one.

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Aug 01, 2022
pocohantas:

I didn’t even know this topic is in the Programming section. Would have thought it is Careers. Someone I follow commented and that is how I got here. Not like I have that much interest in Programming section.

That is Kayperry on my dp. He spends more time on my profile, so he might as well see himself there every time.

But do you think they are PROGRAMMERS?

I agree with the themeforest part for ease of execution. I don’t know the other one.

If I think those who use Wordpress are programmers ?

I feel anyone can use Wordpress even programmers

It helps you save a lot of time.

What's the point reinventing what's already existing?

Its just like saying you want to create your own car instead of buying already existing one because you're and engineer

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 01, 2022
nikky5:

God bless you sir. You are just on point. We are both OBIdent.

It's really funny to be honest.

I always ask those Wordpress haters this question.

If you have 3 clients and they both want an Ecommerce website whith same normal Ecommerce functionality.

Now, will you code the job once and duplicate it for the remaining 2 clients or will you code each differently from scratch even if they perform exact same thing just because you think you know coding?

Now if you'll code it once and duplicate the code then you're not different from a programmer who goes to theme scripts websites and gets that script which is already existing and then host and offer it to his or her clients.... you're just dumber than the person, you're not smart at all.

Now, if you say you'll code each differently even if they perform same task, then you're not fit to be a programmer because you're not smart.

Wordpress is there to serve a purpose

It helps you saves time and helps you complete jobs faster

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by RepoMan007: 5:01pm On Aug 01, 2022
WordPress is easy and hard but useful and saves time. It gets jobs done not too efficiently but works.
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Doingexploit: 2:11pm On Aug 05, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by motionarena: 5:13pm On Aug 05, 2022
nikky5:
I have been wondering how Nigerian programmers are fairing in this economy.

In 2010 and 2013, I used to get lots of website jobs. I even became a property owner with one of the projects here in Lagos. God be glorified.

Today, the story has changed. I am glad that I have other means of income.

So, for the full time programmer, how are you coping under this economic situation in Nigeria.
Because you are a quack who only knows Wordpress.
Please do kot refer to yourself as a programmer.

A programmer who knows what he is doing can neva go hungry no matter the economic crisis
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by yungevvy(m): 7:34pm On Aug 05, 2022
pocohantas:

Na them like the title pass. Doing drag and drop upandan. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Anyway, it is not all that are doing well. I know one that had a good run in the past, but now it is hard and he is not just a web developer. I have told him to find foreign clients because he deals with Naija clients most.

grin grin you like vawulence oh.
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by qtguru(m): 7:51pm On Aug 05, 2022
nikky5:
I have been wondering how Nigerian programmers are fairing in this economy.

In 2010 and 2013, I used to get lots of website jobs. I even became a property owner with one of the projects here in Lagos. God be glorified.

Today, the story has changed. I am glad that I have other means of income.

So, for the full time programmer, how are you coping under this economic situation in Nigeria.

Exhausted, drained and lack of sleep, but nothing has changed job-wise prob just more tasks

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by niel63(m): 8:34pm On Aug 05, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

What do I wanna use it for. I don't go anywhere.

This is one of th3 most reasonable response here.
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by niel63(m): 8:38pm On Aug 05, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Software engineers are the kings of tech. Saw a role $100/hr for a C++ coder. That's $16k monthly. Mostly untaxed if you live in Naija. The problem is that a lot of people think that remote tech folks sit down and do nothing to earn "big" money. They work like donkeys and most barely have a social life

After applying that when you will hear your country has a different tax template.
Mtchew...

They are not stupid. That role is majorly for folks within their country code.
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by airsaylongcome: 9:00pm On Aug 05, 2022
niel63:

After applying that when you will hear your country has a different tax template.
Mtchew...

They are not stupid. That role is majorly for folks within their country code.

At all! The roles I’m talking about are IC roles. None of all those drama. I learned long ago to steer clear of FTE roles because I understand the tax implications that come with hiring FTE
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by niel63(m): 10:21pm On Aug 05, 2022
airsaylongcome:

At all! The roles I’m talking about are IC roles. Nine of all those drama. I learned long ago to steer clear of FTE roles because I understand the tax implications that come with hiring FTE

Hmmmm..... another angle.
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Nobody: 4:42am On Aug 06, 2022
Lol. I advice any programmer to learn WordPress. Not just the basis of WordPress, but actual WordPress.

Some job on WordPress can be billed at $1,000 and above...

Easy and hard cash.

Programming a site for 4months, sleep irregularities, food disorder, headache. See, alot.

This WordPress people are making serious cash.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by qtguru(m): 5:03pm On Aug 06, 2022
OfficialDad:
Lol. I advice any programmer to learn WordPress. Not just the basis of WordPress, but actual WordPress.

Some job on WordPress can be billed at $1,000 and above...

Easy and hard cash.

Programming a site for 4months, sleep irregularities, food disorder, headache. See, alot.

This WordPress people are making serious cash.

Point me to the way, I still do WordPress Dev on the side, but mostly Plugin related and Blocks, I just don't like claiming WordPress dev, it's like being caught with an ugly side-chic

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by TastyFriedPussy: 6:05pm On Aug 06, 2022
qtguru:

Point me to the way, I still do WordPress Dev on the side, but mostly Plugin related and Blocks, I just don't like claiming WordPress dev, it's like being caught with an ugly side-chic
you suppose don buy motto naa? kiss

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by qtguru(m): 6:32pm On Aug 06, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
you suppose don buy motto naa? kiss

More motors no bad nau
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by airsaylongcome: 6:43pm On Aug 06, 2022
qtguru:

Hahahahahahaha…

You know the side chic gives it to you like no other. But you must never be seen with her
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by qtguru(m): 6:57pm On Aug 06, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Hahahahahahaha…

You know the side chic gives it to you like no other. But you must never be seen with her

wink lol
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by id911(m): 11:02pm On Aug 06, 2022
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Aug 06, 2022
qtguru:

Then don't be caught with one.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Ict Courses Or Areas Are Relevant In Nigeria. Somebody Said Java Me. Never / Java And Bluetooth Projects / What Level Of Java Is Required For Android Programming ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.