Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? (34573 Views)

5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Super Eagles Lowest Moment / Which Is More Painful Between Relationship Heartbreak & Betslip? / In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by dododawa1: 7:07pm On Aug 06, 2022
I remember SAND of Denmark.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by GODPUNISHALABI: 7:08pm On Aug 06, 2022
grin
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by ntyce(m): 7:08pm On Aug 06, 2022
musterseeds:
I would say Nigeria vs Denmark, was really painful for me

Lalasticlala. Mynd44 mukina2

That team wasn't that good..

The 94 loss to Italy really hurts.
We were this close.

Italy finally getting to the final made it more painful.
I was like, it could be Us.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by kingthreat(m): 7:09pm On Aug 06, 2022
4-1 Loss to Denmark was so painful. Denmark Knack us wotowoto like say we be learners
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by robosky02(m): 7:10pm On Aug 06, 2022
Oh my

That year

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by ppogba: 7:10pm On Aug 06, 2022
Number 5 was really painful.

The football super powers were already jittery.. If the Eagles had beaten Italy, anything could have happened for good thereafter.

The voice of Arigo Sachi shouting Dino Dino Dino ( Dino Baggio) is still ringing in my ears till tomorrow.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by itsalright66: 7:11pm On Aug 06, 2022
Ok

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by lipatad17: 7:11pm On Aug 06, 2022
wink
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by gaddafe(m): 7:11pm On Aug 06, 2022
For me it was France 98. After that defeat, it took close to a month for me to recover and after recovering that was the last time I ever sat to watch any Nigerian competition. I prefer watching the highlights since then.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Aarenasbaba(m): 7:12pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nigeria vs Senegal semi final
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by adecz: 7:12pm On Aug 06, 2022
Remembering these losses still
raises my blood pressure ... ☹️☹️☹️☹️
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by moufan: 7:12pm On Aug 06, 2022
nigeria cameroon final. kanu missed a penalty,ikpeba also missed his own
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 7:13pm On Aug 06, 2022
I don't know. I belong to the indomie generation. So, I can't relate.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by bouncin04(m): 7:13pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nigeria vs Senegal 2002 Afcon semi finals ( Wilson Oruma missing a penalty )
Nigeria vs Sweden Korea Japan 2002 world cup.
Nigeria vs Angola 2nd leg 2006 world cup qualifiers.
Nigeria vs South Korea world cup 2010 ( although we drew but we needed a win with Yakubu missing a clear cut chance ).
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by LegitGuy22: 7:13pm On Aug 06, 2022
Cameroon and Algeria loss in Afcon
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Emeka71(m): 7:13pm On Aug 06, 2022
Ubermind:
Which of these defeats was more painful for you?

By the way, Here are the top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qa1oAcetY4

To me is number 1 because that was a final and a title loss.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Franking: 7:14pm On Aug 06, 2022
No pictures of the 1978 loss to Tunisia?
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by CalabarPikin: 7:14pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nigieria vs India na..?? shocked
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by seunny4lif(m): 7:15pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nigeria lost to Cameroon in the final of the Nigeria/Ghana nations cup

Algeria win over Nigeria at Egypt nations cup.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by dejol88: 7:16pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nigeria vs Italy

USA 94
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by naptu2: 7:19pm On Aug 06, 2022
What about the loss to Cameroon in 1989?
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Rhozabeth(m): 7:22pm On Aug 06, 2022
Non can be as painful as number five- Nigeria Vs Italy (USA 94) that was when we were at our very best!

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by NaijaGoBetter20: 7:24pm On Aug 06, 2022
Italy vs Nigeria (1994)

Bulgaria that we trashed that year won fouth place
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Whobedatte(m): 7:24pm On Aug 06, 2022
NIGHANA 2000 final match
We wept with our sunday
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by ekanx27(m): 7:25pm On Aug 06, 2022
No one come close like that Aiyegbeni Miss

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Jomonix: 7:27pm On Aug 06, 2022
Mine was MAROC 88 when a clean goal from Henry Nwosu's was disallowed by the referee. Cameroon later won 1-0. I still feel the pains and disappointment of that day.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Jomonix: 7:28pm On Aug 06, 2022
ekanx27:
No one come close like that Aiyegbeni Miss

Yes I agree. It was easier to score than kick the ball away as he did
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Jomonix: 7:28pm On Aug 06, 2022
naptu2:
What about the loss to Cameroon in 1989?

This was 88, MAROC 88 I think
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Goke7: 7:29pm On Aug 06, 2022
Italy loss in 1994 was the most painful
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by luvinhubby(m): 7:31pm On Aug 06, 2022
None of the matches mentioned by OP is as painful as Nigeria's loss to Cameroon at Maroc 88 Nations cup finals.
The match ended 1-nil in favor of Cameroon courtesy of a dubious penalty awarded by the Gabonese referee & converted by Roger Miller.
But the painful aspect was that the same refree dubiously disallowed a very correct goad initially headed in by Henry Nwosu that should have given us the lead.

Very painful a loss it was

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Manchester United Players Celebrated Champions League Victory Against PSG. Photo / Yoshimi Yamashita To Officiate Germany Vs Nigeria Match / Beauty Uguoere Siasia: They Keep Kidnapping Me - Siasia’s Mother Cries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.