Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? (34568 Views)

5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Super Eagles Lowest Moment / Which Is More Painful Between Relationship Heartbreak & Betslip? / In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by coolxpaul(m): 7:32pm On Aug 06, 2022
Writing jamb for 6 years just because if medicine, is it worth it?
Share your thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDWPwA02SBM
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by mayor1814: 7:32pm On Aug 06, 2022
1994 WORLD LOSS TO ITALY IS THE MOST PAINFUL TO ME. GROWING UP TO KNOW THE ARGUABLY BEST SUPER EAGLES SIDE OF ALL TIME GAVE ME THE CONFIDENCE AND MORALE THAT WE WOULD BEAT IYALY THAT EVENING. I WASN'T MYSELF FEW DAYS AFTER THE MATCH, AS THE IMAGE OF ROBERTO BAGGIO SCORING THE WINNING GOAL TORMENTED ME ALL THROUGH THOSE DAYS AFTER THE MATCH.

THEN THE SECOND MOST PAINFUL LOSS WAS THE GHANA/NIGERIA 2000 FINAL MATCH LOSS TO CAMEROON. WHAT ADDED SALT TO INJURY WAS THE DENIED GOAL OF VICTOR IKPEBA.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Carlyboi(m): 7:35pm On Aug 06, 2022
I didn’t witness two of the losses on the list 78 and 94 respectively but away from the listed losses the back to back semi final losses to Senegal,Tunisia and Ivory Coast at Afcon in 2002,2004 and 2006 respectively was really a hard pill to swallow culminating in them 3 ridiculous golden bronze for us.....

Anyways,one of the most painful ones,if not the most painful is the 2005 U-20 World Cup final where we lost to Argentina,where I thought we would have made history and partly completed Football as the first African team to win the U-20 World Cup plus our U-17 and Olympic triumphs it would have just been the Fifa men’s World Cup left for us to win it was also painful cos of the rollercoaster ride Siasia and his boys had to final,the U-20 World Cup in Holland till date remains one of my fave football tournament!

Another Notable mention was our loss against Argentina at the Olympics in Beijing in 2008 I thought we would win that Gold I was so eager to hear the national anthem been sang it was so painful,the loss,i had to be up early to watch the game I think kick off was 5 or 6am if I’m not mistaken,then that solitary Di Maria strike just condemned us to another Silver against the Argentines,lastly the falconets two losses was very painful too especially the one in which Alexander Popp’s solitary strike won it for Germany the one that oshoala starred in too was painful too same Germans beat us and won by a goal margin just like against Argentina for the men’s lol!also the loss against Switzerland in the final of the 2009 fifa u-17 World Cup that we hosted was painful too

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by supereagle(m): 7:36pm On Aug 06, 2022
The loss to Cameroon in 1984 Africa nations cup must be included. Maroc 88 too.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by naptu2: 7:36pm On Aug 06, 2022
Jomonix:

This was 88, MAROC 88 I think

Nope. There was Maroc 88 and there was August 1989.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Kingcalls: 7:36pm On Aug 06, 2022
paulolee:
None pain me pass dt algeria 1-0 for afcon wey mahrez score last minute free kick.
e pain me bcoz one guy jus use mind say mahrez go score n call 20k, I stand opposed n we both set our fones bcoz cash no de at hand..
mahrez score n i shock, e be asif na magic..
I ask am how e take dey dt sure, e say e jus talk am, as I.opposed n people attack am, e jus bet mk e no b asif e fall.e bea hands say e no get mind..
na so I go start to de find 20k cash d next morning because of dt mumu akpeyi

I always knew u are a child...na y u go de argue with ur papa... anyone that understands football and had been watching it for decades know that its between USA 94 against Italy or Afcon 2000 against Cameroon...u de talk about match wey dem play couple of years ago wey no even reach .... Any OG will not even remember that Tunisia game ...when games like Algeria final in 1990 ...semi final game against Ghana in 1992 ...2002 Afcon against Senegal... these games I mentioned, Nigeria had the team and fame play and deserved to win ...u de mention that dismantled 2019 team

4 Likes

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by sharpwriter(m): 7:37pm On Aug 06, 2022
bouncin04:
Nigeria vs Senegal 2002 Afcon semi finals ( Wilson Oruma missing a penalty )
Nigeria vs Sweden Korea Japan 2002 world cup.
Nigeria vs Angola 2nd leg 2006 world cup qualifiers.
Nigeria vs South Korea world cup 2010 ( although we drew but we needed a win with Yakubu missing a clear cut chance ).
Nigeria vs Tunisia 2004 Afcon semi final.
Nigeria vs Tunisia 2022 Afcon quarter final.
Oil dey your head baba. That Wilson Oruma's penalty, chai cry cry Senegal has always been a thorn on our flesh during these periods.

Then the chances we missed against Sweden in that 02 world cup cry

Also Yakubu Aiyegbeni' s ill luck coupled with that useless Sanni Kaita foolishness cry

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by naptu2: 7:39pm On Aug 06, 2022
Jomonix:

This was 88, MAROC 88 I think

Here is a video of the goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRfRHl0CwlU
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Ubermind: 7:42pm On Aug 06, 2022
It was so painful

robosky02:
Oh my

That year
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by kals4luv990(m): 7:42pm On Aug 06, 2022
That miss wey Ayigbeni miss na im dey pain pass

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 06, 2022
JoeRizzla:
Nothing dey pain pass say you get a vegetable as a president.

President Buhari looks much HEALTHIER than you these days. You've been wishing the man death since God knows when, yet he has remained your president for as many years. There have been occasions when a few axe blows have felled the great iroko tree while the pepper stalk, as "VEGETABLEish" and slender as it is, remains standing firmly and holding its ground after severe storms.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by richie240: 7:46pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nig vs Italy >>>> USA 94.
Nigeria had no business losing dt match.
The plague presently affecting d country affected that team. A case of "I'd rather allow my cleaner-brother fly my plane than allow a pilot from a strange.land" crashed that game.

All the idiots needed to have done was feed Yekini the balls and its game over, but they won't.
The rest is history!
cool

vvvv
https://www.nairaland.com/709532/why-eagles-ganged-up-against
^^^^

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by emerged01(m): 7:48pm On Aug 06, 2022
Against Italy 1994

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by lanrock(m): 7:49pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nigeria vs Cameroon
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Gentlevip: 7:50pm On Aug 06, 2022
There is some kind of curse. Villagers should explain pls.

From nigeria vs Denmark .. seems to be the end of nigeria till date
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by akins33: 7:50pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nig Vs Cameroun 2000 Afcon Final. When okocha scored and said no b 4 ere,i thought we had won.

After we lost,all the men in my street came out crying.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Benchilwell: 7:54pm On Aug 06, 2022
That mahrez dying min freekick goal pain me and 1994 d first world cup I watch against Italy.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by adioolayi(m): 7:54pm On Aug 06, 2022
musterseeds:
I would say Nigeria vs Denmark, was really painful for me

We were a clear favourite to go through....if I can remember correctly, the coach even rested some players in anticipation of a tough opponent in the quarterfinal ...very painful exit... crazy!

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by emperorlaqrin: 7:55pm On Aug 06, 2022
Bros you see that Denmark vs Nigeria match ehn, the expectations was too much and everyone believed that match will be a walk over. I was in Kano state then, Hausa men always caused bruhaha kuruna asabe that time

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by yomi531(m): 7:55pm On Aug 06, 2022
FatherBona:
That Cameroon loss in 2000 final is one I wished I never watched.

I still remember that ikpeba penalty like never before
It was really painful oo. Ikpeba's penalty would have counted if there was goal line technology back then. Na KANU penalty vex me pass. It was like a pass to the keeper.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Ibime(m): 7:55pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nigeria loss to Italy in 1994 is number one

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Moikiitos: 7:57pm On Aug 06, 2022
Everitin der pain me wellu wellu expect Nigeria vs. Tunisia '78 becos mi no dey dat time wey e happin. De tin e stil dey pain me just remembering it. Sori OP I dey vex right now. Make I take sometin to kool my temper �

Ubermind:
Number Five – Nigeria Round of 16 Loss to Italy – USA ‘94 FIFA World Cup

Number Four – Nigeria 4-1 Loss to Denmark at the France 98 FIFA World Cup Round of 16

Number Three – The Jollof Derby Nigeria Loss to Ghana – 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers.

[s]Number Two – Nigeria Loss to Tunisia – 1978 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers[/s]

Before I get to number one, here are some honorable mentions.

Number One - Nigeria Loss to Cameroon – 2000 AFCON FINALS

Source: Top 5 Painful Defeats in Nigeria Football History - When Super Eagles Disappointed Fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcAuQEOKIfo

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by fredoooooo: 8:01pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nigeri vs Italy
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by vivalavida(m): 8:02pm On Aug 06, 2022
Without looking at the list, the defeat against italy
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by IbileIfe: 8:04pm On Aug 06, 2022
Lack of common sense made Nigeria to lose to Italy in 1994 FIFA World Cup Finals.
2 minutes to glory to qualify for the quarter finals, all the players needed to do was keep on kicking the ball away into the crowds. But two particular players who came in the second half wanted to show some skills to attract foreign clubs and ended up falling into the traps of the desperate Italian players
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by irumanle(m): 8:09pm On Aug 06, 2022
One
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by PharmacyStore: 8:12pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nigeria's loss to Cameroon is still the worse for me
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Benchilwell: 8:13pm On Aug 06, 2022
ntyce:
The 94 loss to Italy really hurts.
We were this close.

Italy finally getting to the final made it more painful.
I was like, it could be Us.
d thing is that any team that beat nigeria,if that team made it to d final in world cup,they always lose.
1994: Italy beat nigeria but to lose to BRA
2014: Argentina beat nigeria but to lose to GER
2018: Croatia beat nigeria but to lose to FRA
grin grin grin grin
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by excomarow(m): 8:14pm On Aug 06, 2022
Ubermind:

Number One - Nigeria Loss to Cameroon – 2000 AFCON FINALS
This loss was really painful. Cameroon had beaten Nigeria in the African Nations Cup finals of 1984 and 1988 and Nigeria was determined to lift the trophy this time around on home soil. However, Cameroon started strong, scoring two goals in about 30 minutes in the first half.

Chukwu Ndukwe then scored a much needed goal for Nigeria just before half-time. Then Jay-Jay Okocha marked his return to the team after a one-match suspension with a stunning long range shot to make it 2-2 within 90 seconds of Chukwu’s goal. Nigeria, unbeaten at home for 19 years and defending an 11-match unbeaten run in the tournament, took the game to Cameroon in extra-time. Then came penalty shootouts, Cameroon won 4-3 on penalties. However, the win was controversial after Victor Ikpeba's fourth penalty for Nigeria was not awarded by the referee despite appearing to cross the line after hitting the underside of the crossbar. And that was how Cameroon lifted the trophy in Lagos yet again defeating Nigeria in the finals of the AFCON.

This loss was so painful, I remember watching this match live as a very young boy and I clearly remember the fans bitter, complaining about the loss. Though these defeats might bring back sad memories, however, we are to learn from them not feel bad about it. Failure to learn from our defeats is actually the sad thing.

I also watched this match live that year. Because of the anger, I forgot my camera on my seat and left. Later when I realized, I went back but couldn't find the camera. I lost the camera and the pictures we took. It was 2-0 for me that year
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by mejai(m): 8:14pm On Aug 06, 2022
No one beats Yakutia Aiyegbeni miss joor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Court Bars French Parents From Naming Baby Griezmann Mbappe / Sani Emmanuel Has Achiles Tendonitis / Manchester United Players Celebrated Champions League Victory Against PSG. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.