Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,188 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? (34583 Views)

5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Super Eagles Lowest Moment / Which Is More Painful Between Relationship Heartbreak & Betslip? / In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by IbileIfe: 8:15pm On Aug 06, 2022
richie240:
Nig vs Italy >>>> USA 94.
Nigeria had no business losing dt match.
The plague presently affecting d country affected that team. A case of "I'd rather allow my cleaner-brother fly my plane than allow a pilot from a strange.land" crashed that game.

All the idiots needed to have done was feed Yekini the balls and its game over, but they won't.
The rest is history!
cool

vvvv
https://www.nairaland.com/709532/why-eagles-ganged-up-against
^^^^
I actually blamed that defeat to evil jealousy. The other players wanted to compete with Rashidi Yekini and stopped giving him the long passes that he would have used to confuse the Italians for the remaining 3 minutes and give Nigeia an unprecedented first time quarter finals in the FIFA World Cup Finals.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by 6ixT8: 8:21pm On Aug 06, 2022
All this defeat are easily forgotten. But that Ayegbeni missed was painful.

Meanwhile, Anti spambot unjustly banned me int he business section.

naijacutee FOD puskin dominique pls look into my case and unban me.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by lolu2019: 8:24pm On Aug 06, 2022
Na all of them pain me.i nor dey joke with ball.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Donbabaj: 8:24pm On Aug 06, 2022
Everything was painful for me except the jollof derby in 2022 because i have come to realise that the Super Eagles never fails to disappoint especially when it matters most. If you put hope in the current crop of Super Chickens, you are on your own. You go collect high BP!
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Boyooosa(m): 8:25pm On Aug 06, 2022
USA 94, nig vs ita
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by fineboynl(m): 8:30pm On Aug 06, 2022
I will never forget France 1998.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by naijapikin2(m): 8:30pm On Aug 06, 2022
Most definitely nigeria loss to italy USA 94. Aaaahhh. We had the best chance to do really good. Pundits predict nigeria might have gone on to win the world cup. This just goes to show you that football is not all about talent. There is character, discipline, and even scheming.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by franabid: 8:30pm On Aug 06, 2022
Under 16 (Golden Eaglet) USSR 87. Loss to USSR in the final. My first time of witnessing daylight robbery in football
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by eddie7: 8:31pm On Aug 06, 2022
TIME HEALS ALL WOUNDS AND PAINS....THE MOST RECENT NEEDS SOME TIME TO HEAL, THUS, NIGERIA'S DEFEAT IN THE HANDS OF THE GHANIANS.....FOR NOW ...... REMAINS THE MOST PAINFUL

no be Naija again, plenty painful defeats lies ahead

If you know you know
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Cantonese: 8:34pm On Aug 06, 2022
November 12, 1977, Nigeria lost a world cup qualifier to Tunisia at the national stadium. It was a very painful memory that lingered in the minds of those like us who watched the match physically.

Nigerian had drawn at Tunisia 0-0 and all that was needed was for us to win 1-0. Under pressure by the Tinusian attackers, Godwin Odiye, wrongly headed the ball into our own goal mounted by the great Emmanuel Okala. Thereafter for many years Odiye was the butt of many jokes in Nigerian football. Anyone who headed into his own goal was called Odiye. That defeat was the worst ever experienced in this country.

Our fans contributed by supporting Tunisia and booing our players. The fans protested the increase in the gate fee by the then NFA. They completely abandoned our players and the entire nation was out into mourning mood when that goal went in.

The players:

Christian Chukwu
Emmanuel Okala
Mudashiru Lawal
Aloy Ateugbu
Kelechi Emetole (caterpillar)
Thompson Usiyen
Godwin Odiye
Haruna Ilerika
Sam Ojebode
Segun Odegbami
Baba Otu Mohammed
Patrick Ekeji, etc.

Those were men of timber and caliber. The coach was the great father Tito.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Kc3000: 8:39pm On Aug 06, 2022
After seeing how the Eagles(nothing 'Super' about them) played at AFCON, they did us a big favor by not qualifying for the upcoming world cup. That one no pain me at all because they were guaranteed to flop if they made it. Ghana wasn't playing quality football either, and they still couldn't beat them, so wetin dey wan go find for world cup?
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by blackboy(m): 8:42pm On Aug 06, 2022
USA 94
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Sleekfingers: 8:43pm On Aug 06, 2022
musterseeds:
I would say Nigeria vs Denmark, was really painful for me

Very painful. The underestimated Denmark. And they chop am wotowoto

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Vinnie2000(m): 8:45pm On Aug 06, 2022
Kingcalls:

I always knew u are a child...na y u go de argue with ur papa... anyone that understands football and had been watching it for decades know that its between USA 94 against Italy or Afcon 2000 against Cameroon...u de talk about match wey dem play couple of years ago wey no even reach .... Any OG will not even remember that Tunisia game ...when games like Algeria final in 1990 ...semi final game against Ghana in 1992 ...2002 Afcon against Senegal... these games I mentioned, Nigeria had the team and fame play and deserved to win ...u de mention that dismantled 2019 team

Honestly, You are right about dis PAULOLEE guy.

Imagine Mentioning Algeria vs Nigeria in 2019 AFCON as a Painful defeat

It's Just Like a Chelsea Fan calling the 2020 FA Cup Defeat to Arsenal as His most Painful defeat. undecided
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Cwhyte(m): 8:48pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nigeria Loss to Cameroon – 2000 AFCON FINALS

i cried and couldn't even eat

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by osazsky(m): 8:54pm On Aug 06, 2022
For me it was the agueeerooooo defeat against man u ..I nor fit laff..and d rodriiiiiii defeat against Aston villa ..all on the last day of epl..I nor fit laff losserpool..so painful..lost the epl by a point and d ucl by a goal within d same week the erection I got that week cant be compared to none...I dont watch Nigeria games too boring..na waiting I dey watch I go explain..then today's Fulham defeat ..we are d cityzens
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by ursullalinda(f): 8:58pm On Aug 06, 2022
JoeRizzla:
Nothing dey pain pass say you get a vegetable as a president.

Hahaha.....una no go kill me oh......I had to scroll up to be sure it was a football trend......Naija na pure cruise
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by wiseone28: 9:01pm On Aug 06, 2022
99-1 loss to India

I was so down for a month.

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by richie240: 9:02pm On Aug 06, 2022
IbileIfe:

I actually blamed that defeat to evil jealousy. The other players wanted to compete with Rashidi Yekini and stopped giving him the long passes that he would have used to confuse the Italians for the remaining 3 minutes and give Nigeia an unprecedented first time quarter finals in the FIFA World Cup Finals.

Azin ehn......
lipsrsealed
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Majesty33(m): 9:02pm On Aug 06, 2022
bouncin04:
Nigeria vs Senegal 2002 Afcon semi finals ( Wilson Oruma missing a penalty )
Nigeria vs Sweden , Korea Japan 2002 world cup.
Nigeria vs Angola 2nd leg 2006 world cup qualifiers.
Nigeria vs South Korea world cup 2010 ( although we drew but we needed a win with Yakubu missing a clear cut chance ).
Nigeria vs Tunisia 2004 Afcon semi final ( After eliminating almighty Cameroon at the quarter finals ).
Nigeria vs Tunisia 2022 Afcon second round ( Toothless Tunisia eliminated our dazzling star studed team effortlessly )
my nigga, I swear u dey watch match abeg, that Tunisia 2004 defeat pain me die cos Nigeria just defeated Cameroon and Osazee was at his best. Also, Cameroon defeat year 2000.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by wiseone28: 9:04pm On Aug 06, 2022
osazsky:
For me it was the agueeerooooo defeat against man u ..I nor fit laff..and d rodriiiiiii defeat against Aston villa ..all on the last day of epl..I nor fit laff losserpool..so painful..lost the epl by a point and d ucl by a goal within d same week the erection I got that week cant be compared to none...I dont watch Nigeria games too boring..na waiting I dey watch I go explain..then today's Fulham defeat ..we are d cityzens
Last season City lost their first match and still won the league..

Liverpool drawing is a sign of motivation the league is ours.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Ngenge(m): 9:05pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nigeria vs Italy in 1994
1. We scored in the first half
2. They were reduced to ten men
3. They scored in the 88th minute
4. They contained us throughout the whole of 30 minutes of extra time and scored again
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Majesty33(m): 9:05pm On Aug 06, 2022
Tusnia 2004 defeat and Cameroon defeat year 2000 African cup of Nations.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by ekanx27(m): 9:08pm On Aug 06, 2022
wiseone28:
99-1 loss to India

I was so down for a month.

I am yet to see one person, just One person that watched that match. It seems the match was told by someone who was told about the match by someone who was told by another that was told by another whose father told him they told him the story that Indian flogged Nigeria 99:1 and the only goal that was scored by Nigeria killed the goal scorer because the player had to kick the stone.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Ofadaman(m): 9:11pm On Aug 06, 2022
That Denmark game really break my system
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by osazsky(m): 9:11pm On Aug 06, 2022
JoeRizzla:
Nothing dey pain pass say you get a vegetable as a president.
Buhari is d best thing that happened to reasonable Nigerians.. we have been on strike for 5 months no salary but the economy is booming..despite the strike we are making more money and all our outstanding salaries would be paid once..most of my friends got thier personal properties houses in this regime..I got 3 hot properties in choice areas cant say same for gej when d cash was not circulating .so to some extent he opened the economy but I will score him low in d area of security outside that he has a pass mark..most youth dey run things this period but u are not seeing it
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by Halo22: 9:12pm On Aug 06, 2022
All these were when Nigeria was still United in common interest when Patriots were at the helm of affairs and not now that our president is more committed to Niger than Naija.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by wiseone28: 9:13pm On Aug 06, 2022
ekanx27:

I am yet to see one person, just One person that watched that match. It seems the match was told by someone who was told about the match by someone who was told by another that was told by another whose father told him they told him the story that Indian flogged Nigeria 99:1 and the only goal that was scored by Nigeria killed the goal scorer because the player had to kick the stone.

I watched though it was with black and white TV

Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by osazsky(m): 9:13pm On Aug 06, 2022
wiseone28:
Last season City lost their first match and still won the league..

Liverpool drawing is a sign of motivation the league is ours.
city lost to spurs who played a ucl final 2 season ago not a relegated Fulham team with secondary sch players always try to be relative when agueing thanks
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by DOCU(m): 9:15pm On Aug 06, 2022
Nigeria vs Denmark was never painful to me after Okocha's entertaining magical moments.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by wiseone28: 9:16pm On Aug 06, 2022
Halo22:
All these were when Nigeria was still United in common interest when Patriots were at the helm of affairs and not now that our president is more committed to Niger than Naija.
By 2030 you will refer to today that Nigeria was united that then..

It's like saying Nigeria will be great again.

Was Nigeria ever great?

Steady electricity is still a rocket science in Nigeria.

I don't even talk about pipe borne water.
Re: Top 5 Painful Defeats In Nigeria Football History - Which was more painful? by osazsky(m): 9:17pm On Aug 06, 2022
bouncin04:
Nigeria vs Senegal 2002 Afcon semi finals ( Wilson Oruma missing a penalty )
Nigeria vs Sweden , Korea Japan 2002 world cup.
Nigeria vs Angola 2nd leg 2006 world cup qualifiers.
Nigeria vs South Korea world cup 2010 ( although we drew but we needed a win with Yakubu missing a clear cut chance ).
Nigeria vs Tunisia 2004 Afcon semi final ( After eliminating almighty Cameroon at the quarter finals ).
Nigeria vs Tunisia 2022 Afcon second round ( Toothless Tunisia eliminated our dazzling star studed team effortlessly )
oga na 2002 u start to watch match wat of our ever first world cup in USA. How d ref cheated and Italy eliminated us..I can never forget our ever first world cup goal by yekini how he celebrated by almost tearing the net apart rest on sir..by 2002 we didn't had a team and we where playing rubbish..I miss finidi.. mutui..Emmanuel.. amokachi....taribo..iroha ben...etc

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Beauty Uguoere Siasia: They Keep Kidnapping Me - Siasia’s Mother Cries / Disgraced Nigeria U-19 Stranded After Angry NFF Dumps Them, Pays Them 5000 Naira / John Cena Of World Wrestling Entertainment Died From A Severe Head Injury

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.