Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,076 members, 7,811,017 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please (4490 Views)

My Brother-in-law Beat My Sister This Morning. What Should I Do? / My Brother In Law (sister's Husby) Is Becoming Too Rude For My Liking... / I'm Sleeping With My Brother In Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Owugal(f): 12:00pm On Aug 05, 2011
Hi 9ralanders,
I am married to someone from a different ethnic group from mine. His brother stays with us during his hollidays. this brother is very very destructive. But my husband does not seem to notice this. below is a short list of things he has destroyed since last year.

4 Televisions (My husband repaired 2 of them)
6 dvd players, including one that could hold up to 5 dvds at a time . these electronics were bought in the states and are of very good quality.
1 mop (broke in half)
1 dustpan (broke in half)
1 mop bucket ( broke it)
1 Side table (split it)
Many items of clothes, (Burned them)
1 iron
Knife file how do you do that? but he did

And yesterday He destroyed our water pipe system while weeding, so now we have no water flowing into the house?? WTF?!!!!
These are only a few of the things he has destroyed, the others are just too many and I dont want to go into that. I am always afraid anytime he comes over. I begin to hide different things and to lock a few doors. He enters our room and takes things because the door does not lock and my husband doesnt see why I think we should repair the lock.

I am panicking right now, because this "mr spencer" will still destroy things. I mean He spoils something every other day. I tried talking to him once about it, but he began to look angry at me. I dont want his family (my-inlaws)to think that I dont want him around because he doesnt have any other one to look after him well when he vacates. His sister doesnt like me and I know she just is waiting for me to fail and if I blow up on this matter, she will have ammunition to use against me, and I dont want this.

Please I am travelling for work and will be away for the next 3 weeks and I am afriad I will come back and my house will be a run down mess, smelling and just an eyesore. What do I do? I am thinking maybe I should not go but I can't cancel because everything is ready and set to go. What do I do I used to like this young man before when I first met him, But my like began to turn fast into distrust and now its actually a significant dislike. I just keep my tongue leashed because of peace.

Before I bought a filter, this guy would buy pure water and throw it on the ground in a gated house. He would wash his clothes and spread them on the gate or in front of the window of the front porch. I spoke to him in private about it before, but he didnt listen until I mentioned it in front of his brother in his presence.

This guy can eat like a cow. This guy can eat a 5 ib bag of rice in 2 days and I am not exagerating. He finishes a tuber and a half of yam. When I first came from abroad, I used to make french fries, not knowing that this guy could eat 3 average men's portions. I had to stop because after I left the kitchen this guy would go and cook himself a lot of rice. and accompnay it with 6 to 8 eggs depending on how many we had left. His brother one day saw the portions I was giving him and screamed and told me not to give him that much again, not knowing that he eats even more than that. The boy refuses to eat in his brother's (My husband"s presence) because he knows that his eating habits are horrible and his brother would talk. so he eats in the kitchen very fast before his brother comes around. and he even sometimes waits for his brother to leave the house before he would eat.

What do I do. I love my husband and so dont want a confrontation. But I am frustrated.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Smilenw(f): 12:10pm On Aug 05, 2011
shocked shocked cry ^^How old is he?? Assuming he is an adult, I feel he is doing it deliberately to drive you nuts.
On the other hand, if he's been this way from childhood, he's got some serious behaviour issues' which has to be addressed ASAP.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Owugal(f): 1:35pm On Aug 05, 2011
He is 19 years old,
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by obowunmi(m): 1:50pm On Aug 05, 2011
Ahahahaha! Funny story.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Owugal(f): 2:04pm On Aug 05, 2011
you wouldnt think it was funny if it was your money replacing the broken items, or you not having water in the kitchen or you living with him
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by rose75(f): 3:39pm On Aug 05, 2011
All you need is patience. I understand how you feel. he'll one day be on his own. Every problem has an expiry date, don't let it bring issues btw you and your husband.
Good enough, your husband doesn't support him. God will provide for you. I was once in your shoes. He's just looking for a bad name to give the dog. God will save women from bad inlaws.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by samtoye(m): 4:19pm On Aug 05, 2011
why are you women like this? sorry i am going to be frank with you - what i can only see here is you don't want anyone to live with you especially your husband's people, all those faults you listed are nothing out of the extra ordinary, @ 19 years, haba? the boy is only a teenager, all those attribute are teenager's life. My kid brother does exactly the same thing, i did same thing as a teenager, What if he is your brother? would you send him away? tolerance! learn tolerance in marriage or else you would start a fight you can't finish. Show him more love and you would get him on your side, remember he is the eye of your husband's family.

A word is enough for the wise,

1 Like

Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by rose75(f): 5:09pm On Aug 05, 2011
samtoye, some do it deliberately to look for trouble especially when they were not in agreement with the marriage. It pains more when the person in question doesn't give a damn, "afterall it's my brother's money". In that case,you, the wife can hit your head on the wall, for all they care.
But like I earlier said, it's just for a while
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by blank(f): 6:11pm On Aug 05, 2011
hmmm
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 05, 2011
Wow. I couldn't cope with that, be he my wife's brother, or mine. He'll either have to shape up, or ship out, period. At 19-years-old, he should have learnt some manners.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 05, 2011
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Outstrip(f): 8:37pm On Aug 05, 2011
The only thing on the list worth talking about are the tvs and dvd players. I have broken about the same amount of things myself grin I am finding it very very very hard to believe that he broke 4 tvs and 6 dvd players. You simply have to give the circumstances surrounding those. Sorry I am not saying you are lying but I ust don't believe that he broke that many elctronic devices.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by obowunmi(m): 2:29am On Aug 08, 2011
Outstrip:

The only thing on the list worth talking about are the tvs and dvd players. I have broken about the same amount of things myself grin I am finding it very very very hard to believe that he broke 4 tvs and 6 dvd players. You simply have to give the circumstances surrounding those. Sorry I am not saying you are lying but I ust don't believe that he broke that many elctronic devices.

Her BIL broke half, and her husband broke the other half. grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Outstrip(f): 3:34am On Aug 08, 2011
;d
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by kodewrita(m): 10:04am On Aug 08, 2011
But what if she's telling the truth.

There's a tendency for the husband's relatives to view their sister-in-law as a priviledged tenant and nothing more. Hence the bad behaviour.

While I know africans like staying with each other, its a simple fact that people do act like boors.

I find that story very believable.

Until my mum decided to go hard, things were just like that.

@OP. I can't provide too much help or wisdom too. but a 19-year old is not a kid like Samtoye suggest. At 19, I was firmly on the way to getting a degree and definitely not a kid.

If he's doing that then he needs to be cautioned.

Dont wait for your husband. Repair any locks and make sure your kitchen has a lock. If he's going to be home alone, dish out his food in a cooler and leave it in an accessible place. Anything you can lock away, please do.

samtoye:

why are you women like this? sorry i am going to be frank with you - what i can only see here is you don't want anyone to live with you especially your husband's people, all those faults you listed are nothing out of the extra ordinary, @ 19 years, haba? the boy is only a teenager, all those attribute are teenager's life. My kid brother does exactly the same thing, i did same thing as a teenager, What if he is your brother? would you send him away? tolerance! learn tolerance in marriage or else you would start a fight you can't finish. Show him more love and you would get him on your side, remember he is the eye of your husband's family.

Oga, this is pure nonsense. Show him more love? Worship him like some mini-god simply because he's from the husband's side. I appreciate a welcoming wife but not a stupid one. It will be stupid to allow him live like a crybaby in her matrimonial home. Those faults are definitely extraordinary. Being a teenager does not equate to destructive stupidity or eating like a goat simply because you are in your brother's house.

My cousins used to invade the family pot like it was a birthright until seriously cautioned by my mum and backed up by my dad.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by chamber2(m): 10:09am On Aug 08, 2011
I don't know what the problem is with young married women. This ''me and my husband'' syndrome is breaking a lot of homes. In fact this boy @ 19, has not done up to what most of us did while growing up.

Take the advise given by chaircover and samtoye

Ok, i understand your problem, you probably grew up abroad. But this is Nigeria, learn to accommodate others, especially your in-laws.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 08, 2011
chamber2:

I don't know what the problem is with young married women. This ''me and my husband'' syndrome is breaking a lot of homes. In fact this boy @ 19, has not done up to what most of us did while growing up.

Ok, i understand your problem, you probably grew up abroad. But this is Nigeria, learn to accommodate others, especially your in-laws.

Comrade, there's are degrees of tolerance. Forget the Nigerian scenario - a 19-year-old boy should not be raising cain in his brother's home, and making his brother's wife's life a misery. It's nothing to do with growing up abroad, it's all about common sense. The average Nigerian man wants a doormat, and his family expect his wife to just sit back and watch.

You reckon this 19-year-old boy hasn't done as much as most of us did growing up? I'm not with you on that one. I didn't live with my brother, and proceed to wreck his home, or come between him and his wife. Besides, times change. What was acceptable 20 years ago certainly isn't the norm today. A mans immediate family is his wife and children, siblings are more their parent's responsibilities. I would certainly not sit back and allow my brother or sister to not only move in, but disrespect my wife, and generally give her hell. If they can't show her respect and curb their excesses, they'll have to go back to mom and dad, it's that simple. My immediate concerns are my wife and daughter.

The problem in Owu gal's home isn't her. It's her husband's, closely followed by his brother's. The husband should put his brother in his rightful place. A woman shouldn't be made to feel like an outsider in her own home. This teenage boy is clearly out of control, and if his habits (and food excesses) aren't curbed now, his brother will look back in time later on, and wonder where he went wrong.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by chamber2(m): 10:35am On Aug 08, 2011
Comrade, there's are degrees of tolerance. Forget the Nigerian scenario - a 19-year-old boy should not be raising cain in his brother's home, and making his brother's wife's life a misery. It's nothing to do with growing up abroad, it's all about common sense. The average Nigerian man wants a doormat, and his family expect his wife to just sit back and watch.

You reckon this 19-year-old boy hasn't done as much as most of us did growing up? I'm not with you on that one. I didn't live with my brother, and proceed to wreck his home, or come between him and his wife. Besides, times change. What was acceptable 20 years ago certainly isn't the norm today. A mans immediate family is his wife and children, siblings are more their parent's responsibilities. I would certainly not sit back and allow my brother or sister to not only move in, but disrespect my wife, and generally give her hell. If they can't show her respect and curb their excesses, they'll have to go back to mom and dad, it's that simple. My immediate concerns are my wife and daughter.

The problem in Owu gal's home isn't her. It's her husband's, closely followed by his brother's. The husband should put his brother in his rightful place. A woman shouldn't be made to feel like an outsider in her own home. This teenage boy is clearly out of control, and if his habits (and food excesses) aren't curbed now, his brother will look back in time later on, and wonder where he went wrong.

In this part of the world where poverty is widespread, the only social security people have remains members of their families, be it nuclear or extended. Agreed, the excesses of in-laws should be curbed, but in this case the wife has made NO single effort to correct or report this young man to his brother. She is busy hating and feeling depressed without first doing the right thing- report or correct him first.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 11:26am On Aug 08, 2011
chamber2:

In this part of the world where poverty is widespread, the only social security people have remains members of their families, be it nuclear or extended. Agreed, the excesses of in-laws should be curbed, but in this case the wife has made NO single effort to correct or report this young man to his brother. She is busy hating and feeling depressed without first doing the right thing- report or correct him first.

Comrade, your points are noted.

Nowhere in Owo gal's post did she state her in-laws were destitute, to the point of being unable to take care of their son. And if a 19-year-old boy should live with his brother and wife, he should respect both of them. As long as he's under their roof, he needs to realise he's governed by their rules, not go about making up his own set of rules for his SIL to abide by. She also stated she has tried talking to her brother-in-law, to no avail. Her quote:

Owu gal:

I tried talking to him once about it, but he began to look angry at me.
I spoke to him in private about it before, but he didnt listen until[b] I mentioned it in front of his brother in his presence.[/b]

Short of getting physical with this guy, how else can Owu gal correct him? From her post, we can deduce her husband is aware of his younger brother's excesses, including food. You say she's busy hating her brother-in-law, but I find no trace of that. Anger and frustration and dislike don't translate into hatred.

Owu gal:

I used to like this young man before when I first met him, But my like began to turn fast into distrust and now its actually a significant dislike.

She's only human. Dislike is normal under the circumstances. I too would feel the same. Why would any lady like a teenage boy that clearly shows no regards for her? The fact he goes into his brother's matrimonial room and helps himself to things is as disrespective as it gets, a complete no-no. At 19, this guy's a grown man, and should know the difference between right and wrong, without being told.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Outstrip(f): 12:54pm On Aug 08, 2011
The poster knows that he is not breaking things on purpose. If she did she would have said it. So I do not think that he is purposely doing it. He could be careless but it is hard to believe that he broke that many electronics in that length of time by accident. I think the poster needs to be honest first before she can solve her problem. That is why I simply don't like this arrangement of grown ass people living with other grown ass people
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 08, 2011
Atleast he is breaking not spending late nights with some agbero looking boys.

Gosh you have no idea what my immediate elder brother put my parents through when he was that age. cry cry

He sure needs discipline BTW
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by blank(f): 2:39pm On Aug 08, 2011
@ Poster, That is a very handsome young boy you have in your pics. BTW, are u Ghanaian?
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 08, 2011
^^^ Glad you've stopped sulking, Ms Blank! wink
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by blank(f): 2:49pm On Aug 08, 2011
;d ;d ;d
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by madoba: 4:08pm On Aug 08, 2011
(angry angry angry I have a serious problem with people who go into other peoples homes and disrespect them as well as their cribs (homes). What gives anyone the right to visit another and behave so badly or carry on in such a nasty manner?

Being related to someone doesn't give you any right to go to their place and misbehave, when you contribute nothing financially or otherwise. What rubbish.
chaircover:

Problems have a way of becoming as big as we let them become. The more you look and think at this situation, the more it will annoy you and wind you up.

I agree that a number of things have been broken but the question is is this deliberate; if they are genuine accidents then what can one do? . . . . . . . NOTHING . . . . . We dont like it, but Things do get broken from time to time.

The best thing to do with in-laws is to treat them like your own biological family. I agree that sometimes it is a wasted effort for some in-laws but in the majority of cases it works.

Treat him like you would treat your own brother, If you see that he is being careless with your things etc, then tell him off as appropriate at the time and move on,  otherwise it will just fester and continue to annoy you and cause resentment in you. You will be the only one angry while the person who caused the anger doesn't even know how you feel.

It is your home at the end of the day; your home is a place of relaxation and peace so don't let anyone drive you up the wall.

CC I can't belive this is you talking ooh. Please tell me someone stole your ID and used it to post this. Did you read everything the poster wrote? She has tried talking to him in private yet ,  I know you have teenage children and I am certain they are not badly behaved as the poster's BIL. Infact his age is not an excuse the boy is badly behaved and his attitude is not one to be tolerated period.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by madoba: 4:21pm On Aug 08, 2011
chamber2:

Chamber2 are you for real, guy? It seems some of you men want women to bend over until their backs break from all this accommodate and tolerate talk. HABA we are human oooh, not God Almighty.

I believe you did most of the things the BIL is doing in your father's house not in someone else's house? His age is not an excuse, for his bad behaviour I was once 19, so was my brother and male cousin and we didn't carry on in this way and manner when visiting our siblings who are married.

Infact they and their spouses always looked forward to us visiting because they knew we were going to treat their crib right and lessen their household burden of chores. Now we didn't have two heads @ 19 ooh. And we all grew up and still live in Naija.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by madoba: 4:40pm On Aug 08, 2011
samtoye:

Chai, Una dey see some men? I hope you can tolerate the same attitude when your wife's relatives are the ones behaving this way. The me & my husband syndrome is becoming popular because of in-laws like this.

Did you read her post? It seems to me like the BIL is deliberately being annoying and like I said to chamber2, his age is not an excuse some 19 year olds do not carry on this way when visiting their siblings and in-laws and those ones do not have two heads ooh.

Please spare us the 'women should be more tolerant" lecture it is becoming annoying. women tolerate practically everything from cheating husbands, to lazy ones, to nasty in-laws and so on. What do men really tolerate or accommodate in marriage?

And why do you men keep quiet, say nothing and do nothing when it matters most or when your relatives visit and behave badly? I've seen this happen so many times even my father is guilty of this.

Please married men cut your wives some slack, step in and deal with issues concerning your relatives together with your wives and do not leave everything entirely to them.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by madoba: 4:47pm On Aug 08, 2011
Siena:

Siena twenty kisses for you kiss kiss kiss, God bless you.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by chamber2(m): 5:56pm On Aug 08, 2011
the poster's signature reads:

''just the three of us''

She probably doesn't want a fourth party. grin grin grin
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 08, 2011
^^^ That's a possibility Comrade, but it's her choice. Certainly a 4th person with such a destructive and disrespective personality is as useful as a chocolate teapot.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by dayokanu(m): 7:42pm On Aug 08, 2011
The key thing is if he is doing these things deliberately.

When I was young I used to lose biros almost everyday. Someone might term it as being deliberatebut how can anyone be destroying his brothers properties on purpose.

People are just being ridiculous here. Well if you dont want him to live with you send him out.

Probably that was the way your husband "destroyed" others peoples items before growing up into a matured man you married.

I wonder if it was your son who was eating too much and destroying you would have kicked him out too.

Teenage boys eat a lot Thats the truth nothing unusual about it.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 08, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shhhhhh...i Am Pregnant / My Jealous Wife / Man Transformed Into A Woman With $100,000 On Surgeries & Injections (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.