Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,051 members, 7,810,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:34 PM

What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please (4489 Views)

My Brother-in-law Beat My Sister This Morning. What Should I Do? / My Brother In Law (sister's Husby) Is Becoming Too Rude For My Liking... / I'm Sleeping With My Brother In Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by kodewrita(m): 11:36am On Aug 09, 2011
dayokanu:

The key thing is if he is doing these things deliberately.

When I was young I used to lose biros almost everyday. Someone might term it as being deliberatebut how can anyone be destroying his brothers properties on purpose.

People are just being ridiculous here. Well if you dont want him to live with you send him out.

Probably that was the way your husband "destroyed" others peoples items before growing up into a matured man you married.

I wonder if it was your son who was eating too much and destroying you would have kicked him out too.

Teenage boys eat a lot Thats the truth nothing unusual about it.

Promised I wont participate in the thread anylonger but had to point this out.

You were most likely losing biros at age 12 or 13 not NINETEEN.
A Nineteen year old is a MAN not a BOY. That is not a TEENAGER. the 'TEEN' is simply thanks to the english language.

You say how can anyone be destroying stuff on purpose. Maybe not on purpose yes, but maybe he's not caring because he assumes his brother is rich enough to buy new ones and can't touch him. That is the crux of the whole issue.

He should live there BUT on their terms. Not make their lives a misery.

I have stayed with people and I can assure you, it wasnt always fun FOR THEM, but I always corrected myself and adapted to the rules.

"Keep the main door closed", "Prepare your own breakfast", "Call when you going out", "Dont enter the kitchen"====> YES MA. simple
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by madoba: 12:01pm On Aug 09, 2011
@ CC

I no vex again ooh. You are on point with your last response I was just shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked at your first response. grin I did a double take when I saw the username I had to check again and again to be sure it wasn't the chaircover I know with very sensible responses.

Nothing spoil ooh, I still dey feel you.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by ronkebp(f): 6:17pm On Aug 09, 2011
As someone as pointed out, a 19 year old boy is a 'man', some people are not upto him and they have wives and kids and are in full controll of their homes. It is just unfortunate that he is her husband's brother, because i will say.he has a destructive spirit', i personally,i am a very sensitive person, if someone comes to my house and is destroying things like this, that will be part of my every morning 'prayer points'. I don't know the advice to give, especially if your hubby is not seeing all this, i think you need to make him see them, in a wise way though, and i hope he is replacing all the things his brother is destroying, shaa, ? until he comes out himself and talk to him.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Ndipe(m): 9:40pm On Aug 09, 2011
Put your foot down in your house and tell "Mr spencer" that he should behave or he wont be welcome in your house anymore. Dont be a doormat, and if your sister in-law doesnt like you and is expecting you to 'fall' (I dont know what that means), I'd say dont give it a thought.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Sicherheit(m): 1:41am On Aug 10, 2011
The useless boy is breaking things and people are saying she should be patient because he is not doing it on purpose. Are you for real? At the very least, he is very careless with other people's things and that is already BAD BEHAVIOR. I left Naija to come and live with my uncle and his new wife when I was 15, common sense and good upbringing told me I had to watch myself because I am not in my father's house. I got along with my Aunty even more than my twin sister. My Aunty used to get angry with us because we won't touch the pot until she comes and gives us food or if we ask her if we can take something from the fridge or pantry. Because we didn't go there with the mind that this is our uncle's house so therefore we have rights, we got more than we deserved. It was my aunty we convinced my uncle to buy us car when we were 18, she even put some money down. When were in college, she made us come home at least once a month so we can get food stuff. People who don't know us very well, think we are related to her not my uncle.
People automatically think in laws are enemies, they don't know it's it their behavior that will determine who will be a friend and who will be foe. Please stop making excuses for this fooolish disrespectful boy. undecided
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 10, 2011
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by nonnyp(f): 1:58pm On Aug 10, 2011
Prayerfuly correct him as ur sibling,dnt go running 2 ur hubby @ every of his siliness,direct him wen necessary.it is ur home U take charge.do all tins with luv,including scolding him @ 1st he may nt like it,bt wt time he wil understand,i have gone thru similar xprience n i won wt ds method.lastly,u dnt wait 4 ur hubby 2 replace locks,u do so wen u can dt also shws dt u r also d owner of d house n also ensure ur privacy.

1 Like

Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Outstrip(f): 6:24pm On Aug 11, 2011
chaircover:

We can blame the boy but has someone bothered to sit dwn and show the boy how to use these gadgets.

We take a lot of things for granted but it could be that the boy has never used these things before. i had a 18 year old help that had never used a gas cooker in her life and it wasnt until she nearly burnt the place down that I questioned her and found out.

Sounds like he has a heavy hand and is handles things with brute strength.

As for the food, I have seen grown men totally misbehave because of food, Food for some people is more important than the air that they breathe. some people who have experienced hunger in their lives tend to over compensate when they see food.

I am not on the boys side and he should be given a good telling off when necessary. the poster should also involve her husband so she doesnt carry the burden alone.

I see where you are coming from but how can you manhandle that many electronics. I can understand a blender or something like that but these particular electronics are not the type you move around. They are stationary. Unless he is chewing on them or kicking them then I don't see how he can break them
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 11, 2011
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by obowunmi(m): 7:37pm On Aug 11, 2011
^^^ Mrs. CC how are you ? smiley smiley
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 11, 2011
I am fine thank you . . . and you?
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Outstrip(f): 1:23am On Aug 12, 2011
chaircover:

Outstrip there must be an explanation. I am not saying that the poster is exaggerating but I just don't understand it

I can understand the electronics. With the erratic Naija power supply, it could be that it just so happened that this contributed to them breaking down, but things like mop bucket and dustpan I am not so sure. So unless he is deliberately breaking them (the question is why) these items should last a very long time.

If he is deliberately breaking them, then [b]he needs some mental help and I would imagine that he would show his behavioural/mental/other problems in other areas but the poster doesn't mention this in her post.[/b]Anyhow I think the hubby should be involved sooner rather than later.

Dr CC. LOL. You know now that you talk about erratic power supply I remember now that appliances get blown all the time because too much or too little power comes through. In that case I think that is what ruined these electronics. Honestly if this "breaker of things" was staying with me I would realize after the first 2 that he is not the one breaking those tvs. Unless of course he has that undiagnosed mental problem you suggested grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 5:37am On Aug 12, 2011
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Outstrip(f): 6:33am On Aug 12, 2011
seems like the case of the broken electronics has been solved
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by kodewrita(m): 7:15am On Aug 12, 2011
Outstrip:

I see where you are coming from but how can you manhandle that many electronics. I can understand a blender or something like that but these particular electronics are not the type you move around. They are stationary. Unless he is chewing on them or kicking them then I don't see how he can break them
Growing up, I had a friend who was like that. Looking back, I am sure that guy had ADHD. We were watching movies and the guy decided the video wasnt showing clearly, opened up the video player and promptly spoilt it. Suffice it to say that the rest of us cleared out immediately. Before they finally moved away, that boy broke plates, disorganised furniture (supposedly while sweeping), nearly set the flat on fire, left the gate open to go and play soccer and countless other issues. Unfortunately the relative in this case was the wife who was his elder sister while the poor banker husband had to endure.

Yes there are people like that. You find it hard to believe hence the comment but yes they exist.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by camrygmail: 7:22am On Aug 13, 2011
Loooooooooool @ kodewriter, grin grin
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Owugal(f): 2:45pm On Sep 27, 2011
Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate the criticisms of my behavior and the very wise and knowledgeable advise and insight and even empathy.

To the people who ask if He really did destroy all those electronics
; the answer is a big yes. I have not exageratted. it seems like a lot, but we (used to) have a lot of electronics. some men indulge in electronic gadgets like women indulge in shoes. we have flat screen tvs and projectors and so many different types of sound systems you name it we have it. so please dont think I am making up the quantity. We actually own a lot of these things, well not anymore as most of them are spoilt now. its not low current that damaged them, I know one of our tvs actually fell down because he decided to try to balance it on his knees. another dvd player got damaged because he tried to jam more than 5 dvd players into a 5 dvd player. we found broken bits of dvds inside the player.

As for the food issue. I know a lot of young men eat a lot. but what about pouring a whole tin of cowbell milk ( not kidding and it was full 4 of the times I caught him pouring, not scooping with a spoon, all the milk) into a bowl of garri? or eating rice and using up more than 12 pieces of meat so that your rice looks like a beef kebab dish with no sight of rice in sight?
How many of you eat half a crate of eggs in one day simply because you are hungry and not because you are tryin to buff up.

I never mentioned that he uses the largest size of close up toothpaste every 2 weeks. When I travelled he finshed the brand new tube I gave him and descended on my toddlers baby toothpaste after his finished. also he had used up all my sensodyne which i left half full . he didnt touch his brother's colgate herbal toothpaste ( we seperate our toothpastes cos we have different needs). I could not even talk. I was upset. I just went to sleep.

To those who say I am intolerant. Maybe I am. I am intolerant towards that 100 years ago mentality that the husband owns the whole house. in fact I own over 3/4 of the things in our house and I paid for it with my money. My husband owns the electronics, but I bought everything else. I am a working woman and have always had a job that paid me decently. If we didnt have these things people would not want to come to our house.

I am intolerant towards people who "visit" us at 5am in the morning and stay all day, eating breakfast at 7 and then lunch at noon and then another lunch at 3 pm and then dinner and who raid my fridge for snacks in between. I dont say anything to them, but now I dont buy those things unless I know somenone is coming to visit. I hide food now, my mother used to do that and I used to wonder why she locked the store and food etc. now I see plainly. I am not yet at that point of wealth where the cost of food is unnoticeable to me. I am the one who goes to the market,

I dont like when relatives "shop" in my closets for clothes when i am not around. thank goodness that i am fatter than most of the ones who are my age range and too young and trendy for the ones who are as fat as I am.

I dont like it when in-laws who live within my home welcome other relatives to shop for their bedspreads (in my absence) in my linen closet because "she" has so many

I am a modern woman. and if my relatives like my house because of the comforts it has, then please care for it with me not try to strip me of it by destroying my property.

thanks for the replies. I appreciate you all
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 27, 2011
Owu gal:

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate the criticisms of my behavior and the very wise and knowledgeable advise and insight and even empathy.

To the people who ask if He really did destroy all those electronics
; the answer is a big yes. I have not exageratted. it seems like a lot, but we (used to) have a lot of electronics. some men indulge in electronic gadgets like women indulge in shoes. we have flat screen tvs and projectors and so many different types of sound systems you name it we have it. so please dont think I am making up the quantity. We actually own a lot of these things, well not anymore as most of them are spoilt now. its not low current that damaged them, I know one of our tvs actually fell down because he decided to try to balance it on his knees. another dvd player got damaged because he tried to jam more than 5 dvd players into a 5 dvd player. we found broken bits of dvds inside the player.

As for the food issue. I know a lot of young men eat a lot. but what about pouring a whole tin of cowbell milk ( not kidding and it was full 4 of the times I caught him pouring, not scooping with a spoon, all the milk) into a bowl of garri? or eating rice and using up more than 12 pieces of meat so that your rice looks like a beef kebab dish with no sight of rice in sight?
How many of you eat half a crate of eggs in one day simply because you are hungry and not because you are tryin to buff up.

I never mentioned that he uses the largest size of close up toothpaste every 2 weeks. When I travelled he finshed the brand new tube I gave him and descended on my toddlers baby toothpaste after his finished. also he had used up all my sensodyne which i left half full . he didnt touch his brother's colgate herbal toothpaste ( we seperate our toothpastes cos we have different needs). I could not even talk. I was upset. I just went to sleep.

To those who say I am intolerant. Maybe I am. I am intolerant towards that 100 years ago mentality that the husband owns the whole house. in fact I own over 3/4 of the things in our house and I paid for it with my money. My husband owns the electronics, but I bought everything else. I am a working woman and have always had a job that paid me decently. If we didnt have these things people would not want to come to our house.

I am intolerant towards people who "visit" us at 5am in the morning and stay all day, eating breakfast at 7 and then lunch at noon and then another lunch at 3 pm and then dinner and who raid my fridge for snacks in between. I dont say anything to them, but now I dont buy those things unless I know somenone is coming to visit. I hide food now, my mother used to do that and I used to wonder why she locked the store and food etc. now I see plainly. I am not yet at that point of wealth where the cost of food is unnoticeable to me. I am the one who goes to the market,

I dont like when relatives "shop" in my closets for clothes when i am not around. thank goodness that i am fatter than most of the ones who are my age range and too young and trendy for the ones who are as fat as I am.

I dont like it when in-laws who live within my home welcome other relatives to shop for their bedspreads (in my absence) in my linen closet because "she" has so many

I am a modern woman. and if my relatives like my house because of the comforts it has, then please care for it with me not try to strip me of it by destroying my property.

thanks for the replies. I appreciate you all

you know what as a woman I would be p***ed off too - some people just have no respect and you know where it comes from - the fact that you might even be the one that bought the house but the mentality that it is ur "husbands" house. sorry o - i honestly feel you and know what ur talking about.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Outstrip(f): 3:02pm On Sep 27, 2011
Wow. Thanks for the break down. You are patient. I am laughing because I don't know what else to do. I would have physically removed him o. I can just imagine me gently removing that can of milk from his hand. Shiiit like that I cannot put up with. Balancing tv on his knees. Abi you did not buy furniture LOL. Na wa
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 27, 2011
//
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by jaybee3(m): 3:12pm On Sep 27, 2011
Ask your husband to talk to him
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 27, 2011
chaircover:

I still think that you should have a word with your husband.

This is not normal behaviour and even though I am trying hard to beleive everything you are saying (12 peices of meat is a hard one for me to beleive unless we are talking about N20 buka meat size and 18 eggs in one sitting) your husband will be in a better position to talk to his brother.

No disrespect, but I think this has gone beyond her talking to her husband. Unless he's blind, deaf or incredibly insensitive, I'm sure he must be aware of his younger brother's nonchalant, rude and destructive attitude.

This boy needs to leave, go back to his parent's home, otherwise he will break up his brother's marriage. This sort of life causes undue stress. Imagine if Owu Gal was pregnant, is this the sort of cr[i]a[/i]p she'd have to put up with?
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by jaybee3(m): 3:34pm On Sep 27, 2011
^^
The brother in-law stays during the holidays so not a permanent stayer. Besides, are you advocating she puts a ban on him visiting his own brother when we clearly know what that might lead to in terms of her relationship with her in-laws.
Her best bet is to tell her husband and let him help his brother cos surely that ain't normal
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 27, 2011
//
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 27, 2011
e pele o, iyawo alakowe, lol

Would have said you're a dramaqueen if i hadnt encountered such inherently nasty kids before,
just tell your husband, i'm sure he's noticed but kept quiet for fear of being thought mad, sensationalist, or plain sissy. When he sees that he got company, he'll realise the boy is indeed an aberration.
btw, that '12 pieces of meat' stuff is just incredible! How much meat was in the soup to start with?!
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 27, 2011
grin
you wanna do something quick,
lwkm @ u calling the small boy 'dis guy, dis guy'
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 27, 2011
I would have physically removed this boy from my home a long time ago
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by maclatunji: 4:23pm On Sep 27, 2011
@OP is the boy from the village? Some mothers do have em
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Bawss1(m): 5:34pm On Sep 27, 2011
You need to buy a cage for that boy. angry What nonsense!
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by armyofone(m): 7:45pm On Sep 27, 2011
the 12 meat kebaby rice was very funny. he is killing himself with sweet mouth. i think there must be something, (maybe a psychological problem) have his brother take him to see the shrink.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by N101: 12:23am On Sep 28, 2011
I cannot imagine the husband is unaware of his brother's behaviour. 

The poster has stated that she was away for a couple of weeks he polished off a tube of toothpaste, then started using hers and the baby's.  Unless, as Siena has pointed out the husband is blind and deaf (the lack of sensitivity wouldn't surprise me), he must have noticed these things.  Notice his brother wasn't so foolish as to mess with the husband's toothpaste as he very well knew what the outcome would be.

I just think the husband is keeping quiet and supposedly tolerant because his wife is running interference so he rarely has to deal directly with his brother.  Neither would it surprised me if the poster has spoken to her husband about it and his attitude is to let it be. 

It is worse that the brother is only there for the holidays and  is displaying such bad behaviour in a short space of time.  The husband needs to lay down some ground rules and not just leave it for his wife to do.  Maybe if this was done and reinforced from the start a lot of what we're hearing about wouldn't have happened, or at least not to this severity.
Re: What To Do About Brother In Law? Reflective Answere Only Please by Nobody: 1:58am On Sep 28, 2011
Amongst others, I think thr BIL is one of those people that when they see things, they will not rest until it is finished.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shhhhhh...i Am Pregnant / My Jealous Wife / Man Transformed Into A Woman With $100,000 On Surgeries & Injections (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.