Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,492 members, 7,816,165 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue (19777 Views)

Strike: FG And University Workers' Meeting Ends In A Deadlock / Strike: FG, ASUU Meeting Ends In Deadlock Again! / ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by MMWandali: 7:01am On Aug 17, 2022
As expected

Hope something works out sooner than later
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:07am On Aug 17, 2022
Juliearth:

No doubt, the corruption in ASUU is inundating, but saying the FG allocation on education is sufficient is a far cry from reality.

What stops government from meeting their demands, then setting EFCC loose on them? I'm sure by the time EFCC visits all the universities, government will recover over 20% of whatever money it gave them. Any university staff who stole money will be made to vomit it BY FIRE BY FORCE and still be sent to prison for some time... That way, you'll find out if ASUU members are really corrupt, they'll stop this strike actions and everybody will have peace
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by bahaushe1: 7:13am On Aug 17, 2022
It wasn't deadlocked, journalists were not allowed into the meeting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by Radioactivity(m): 7:21am On Aug 17, 2022
All a dem a scam
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by larrypourl(m): 7:24am On Aug 17, 2022
BigDick70inch:
Jux pitying one of my junior back then in uni.......nigga did predegree and was offered agriculture (5 years course)totalling 6year spent already......now nigga has jux more semester to leave uni......but useless fg n ASUU r bent on making him spend 7year.......plus internal strike

My younger sis spent almost 9years in lautech. I could remember when she picked the predegree form in 2013. 1year predegree + 5years prog coupled with Osun/Oyo Aregbesola and Ajimobi wahala. Her only grace was entering the school before age 17.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by TenQ: 7:27am On Aug 17, 2022
princeSammyz:

1. The initial agreement was reached 2009 between Jonathan led government and ASUU. He did not fulfill the agreement until he left 6 years later. Why was that? Being the original bargainer, one should imagine his government was well positioned to solve the problem, but it lingered.
2. FG is just playing safe. When they shout lack of funds, the next question should be what ways can the system generate more funds to help its own course? Today reference is being made of Peter Obi increasing school fees in Anambara and in a sense that he did not want poor Nigerians to go to school. We all understand how we take the suggestion of fees hike and why.
3;4 FG cites lack of funds for a lot of things in this country, and we know it's true. Out country is broke and that is to even sound very linient. Look at the level of borrowing in the last few years. Look at the situation of local government workers in recent times. This is reality! Now ASUU points at giving a couple of billions worth of cars to Niger Republic, of course I do not favor that move one bit, but ASUU's demand is not a onetime swing of the sword, this is recurrent bill we are talking about and the government must be sure to handle any commitments they put forward now and going forward.
5. ASUU must agree there is lack of funds, coupled with a lack of commitment that is worsened by corruption both on the government and on the university sides. ASUU must admit these and step back inwards to come up with more practical ways out and also other means of agitation.
Note: I am working towards joining the academia hopefully soon, and whatever the benefits of this struggle, if all works well, I believe it is for posterity. But I think even having that in mind, we must look at the persistence of the ASUU fg issue and look at how things can be done differently.
Thanks for the mature response.

I would have taken your point of view if not because I am convinced the FG do not have the interest of ANYONE in mind. Those who govern us are bunch of selfish individuals who care only about siphoning national Wealth into their coffers. Tell me how a minister whose total take home package is Less than N2,000,00 find it easy to purchase a nomination form of N100,000,000?

All FG research institutions are suffering the same thing ASUU is complaining about with IPPIS but they can't protest with force like ASUU.

Unless we go back to the fundamental Question:
What is the Purpose of our Tertiary institutions and what specific values does the FG intend to gain from it?

Right now, the FG is treating the Tertiary institutions as a place to keep the "destructive" young people occupied for at least 4 years!

1 Like

Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by samuelpeters(m): 7:33am On Aug 17, 2022
TenQ:

You seem not to understand the problem
1. There was an agreement between ASUU and the FG
2. The FG did not ask for anything in return for the agreement
3. FG refused to implement agreement citing lack of funds
4. Everyone can see that with the so-called lack funds, FG is still able to purchase luxury vehicles for Niger Republic, build railway to Niger Republic amongst others
5. Should ASUU believe that the problem is Lack of money rather than lack of commitment?
How much is the fund ASUU is requesting?
1.3 trillion i.e; atleast 200billion every year for 5 years.

I'm not supporting FG's way of throwing money into unproductive ventures. Yet, what ASUU is requesting for is a lot.

Finally, their primary point is UTAS. Revitalization find is now secondary. So at the end of the day, na for their selfish reason.
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by uuzba(m): 7:37am On Aug 17, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
WE NEED A NEW NIGERIA

We are desperate to have a new change in our country.

It's not about Peter Obi himself.
It's about us
The Education in Nigeria was given to us by the British when they colonised Nigeria.
They set up science labs and technical schools.
These are what educate the people to setup and successfully run fictional industries.
Properly equipped science laboratory AND technical schools .That is the foundation.
-
But when the British left, we Nigerians destroyed all our science laboratories, destroyed our technical schools and chose to cram answer and pass exam instead .
Now, nobody knows how to make anything.
Can you produce stainless steel? Do you even have any idea of the chemical equation and where to source the materials?
Yet stainless steel is the foundation steel used in every food industry because it doesn't rust.
Since we dont have enough of it, hence we have very few food industries and all their food is expensive. When last could you afford milk?
-
As we don't/can't produce anything, we chose to be importing instead. We have imported so-tey all our money has finished and we are now borrowing money from useless China (that can't even speak English)... The day they start using kungfu to dismantle our head, that's when we would stop borrowing more money.
-
All we do is import goods and pose with them. And this government is so good at expensive bullsh1t lifestyle.

And here is ASUU now crying for the upgrade that should have been part of their education right from the very beginning... Properly equipped laboratories, properly setup technical schools, and well paid staff to run and teach in these places. These are the foundation required to run industries that will produce and refine raw materials in to finished goods that can be exported to foreign exchange.
-
$1 = ₦1 back in the 70s. Today we are gathering. ₦700 to buy $1 and people are celebrating that the price has come down.
What a great STUPID celebration.
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by Bukzdwriter: 7:38am On Aug 17, 2022
Let students go and learn new skills or build on the ones they already have.

E get Why
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by TenQ: 7:44am On Aug 17, 2022
samuelpeters:

How much is the fund ASUU is requesting?
1.3 trillion i.e; atleast 200billion every year for 5 years.

I'm not supporting FG's way of throwing money into unproductive ventures. Yet, what ASUU is requesting for is a lot.

Finally, their primary point is UTAS. Revitalization find is now secondary. So at the end of the day, na for their selfish reason.
ASUU is not pretending that they are fighting for their Students nor the Educational institution of Nigeria. They are fighting for themselves.

There are only two Labour institutions in Nigeria that the FG have not been able to destroy ASUU and NMA!

Of a truth, Nigerian Universities are grossly underfunded compared with their counterparts outside the country.

My problem is that the FG doesn't know the Reason why they established the Universities: this is the fundamental Problem!

FG always negotiate with ASUU without asking for ANYTHING in return. It shows they don't have a need for the graduates from our Universities.

At a point, I see students paying higher tution!
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by samuelpeters(m): 7:54am On Aug 17, 2022
TenQ:

ASUU is not pretending that they are fighting for their Students nor the Educational institution of Nigeria. They are fighting for themselves.

There are only two Labour institutions in Nigeria that the FG have not been able to destroy ASUU and NMA!

Of a truth, Nigerian Universities are grossly underfunded compared with their counterparts outside the country.

My problem is that the FG doesn't know the Reason why they established the Universities: this is the fundamental Problem!

FG always negotiate with ASUU without asking for ANYTHING in return. It shows they don't have a need for the graduates from our Universities.

At a point, I see students paying higher tution!
Yes. I agree with you that our institutions are underfunded. But do you think FG don't know the solution to problem?
They do.

For our institutions to move forward, fees MUST go up. It's a better pill we don't want to accept. FG cannot fund all universities to be on par with others.

Education is expensive anywhere in the world.
Since they know you and I would protest if they increase fees and allow universities to be fully autonomous. They continue to keep fees as low as possible and send their children to get a sound education in either our private universities or abroad.

Mind you, in Federal universities, we don't pay tuition. What we pay are services rendered by the university.
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by Rupertek: 8:00am On Aug 17, 2022
festacman:
The worrying thing is that none of the leading presidential candidates has shown clearly how his government will meet ASUU demands and solve incessant ASUU strike once and for all in the face of dwindling oil revenues.

None! And that's worrying.

What do you want the presidential candidates to say? There is no quick fix to this, the only option is to get the students to bear the financial burden
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by Rupertek: 8:02am On Aug 17, 2022
TenQ:

Thanks for the mature response.

I would have taken your point of view if not because I am convinced the FG do not have the interest of ANYONE in mind. Those who govern us are bunch of selfish individuals who care only about siphoning national Wealth into their coffers. Tell me how a minister whose total take home package is Less than N2,000,00 find it easy to purchase a nomination form of N100,000,000?

All FG research institutions are suffering the same thing ASUU is complaining about with IPPIS but they can't protest with force like ASUU.

Unless we go back to the fundamental Question:
What is the Purpose of our Tertiary institutions and what specific values does the FG intend to gain from it?

Right now, the FG is treating the Tertiary institutions as a place to keep the "destructive" young people occupied for at least 4 years!

Suggest exactly what you expect the FG to do in the face of lack of funds
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by samuelpeters(m): 8:02am On Aug 17, 2022
uuzba:

The Education in Nigeria was given to us by the British when they colonised Nigeria.
They set up science labs and technical schools.
These are what educate the people to setup and successfully run fictional industries.
Properly equipped science laboratory AND technical schools .That is the foundation.
-
But when the British left, we Nigerians destroyed all our science laboratories, destroyed our technical schools and chose to cram answer and pass exam instead .
Now, nobody knows how to make anything.
Can you produce stainless steel? Do you even have any idea of the chemical equation and where to source the materials?
Yet stainless steel is the foundation steel used in every food industry because it doesn't rust.
Since we dont have enough of it, hence we have very few food industries and all their food is expensive. When last could you afford milk?
-
As we don't/can't produce anything, we chose to be importing instead. We have imported so-tey all our money has finished and we are now borrowing money from useless China (that can't even speak English)... The day they start using kungfu to dismantle our head, that's when we would stop borrowing more money.
-
All we do is import goods and pose with them. And this government is so good at expensive bullsh1t lifestyle.

And here is ASUU now crying for the upgrade that should have been part of their education right from the very beginning... Properly equipped laboratories, properly setup technical schools, and well paid staff to run and teach in these places. These are the foundation required to run industries that will produce and refine raw materials in to finished goods that can be exported to foreign exchange.
-
$1 = ₦1 back in the 70s. Today we are gathering. ₦700 to buy $1 and people are celebrating that the price has come down.
What a great STUPID celebration.
There's one point you made that I love so much. "Our science laboratories and technical schools." We destroyed it. Made it useless. First world countries still have their technical schools because it is an integral part of the the system.

In Nigeria, everybody wants to go-to the university. The university is not for everyone.
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by MomohMrMoore: 8:04am On Aug 17, 2022
Its high time this ASUU is proscribed. This cant happen under a civilised govt, or under military. How can employee be dictating 100% to employer? Are they more than the FG? 2 masters same boat? FG say they dont have N1.1T. Whatever FG has should be accepted. NONOSENSE
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by Rupertek: 8:08am On Aug 17, 2022
jkpbestseries:
this country is a joke.... ASUU should stand firm... Universities cant turn to Government primary n secondary school.

ASUU can stand firm, just know it that if they do that, the students will bear the brunt. Government will eventually force the parents and students to pay the money, so. Do think governemt will ne hurt if ASUU stands firm
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by Kreddy: 8:13am On Aug 17, 2022
hayohdele:
Legit business you can start while waiting for strike to be over!!!
� Copywriting
� Graphic designing
� Amazon KDP
� Crypto
� Forex
� E-commerce
� Dropshipping
� Mini importation
� YouTube marketing
�Car tracking installation
�Web designing
�Affiliate Marketing
� WhatsApp marketing
� Freelancing etc

With as low as 5k you can start some of this above and make atleast 100k monthly!

Can you put me for free? then if not how much is it?
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by Risentouch(m): 8:17am On Aug 17, 2022
festacman:
The worrying thing is that none of the leading presidential candidates has shown clearly how his government will meet ASUU demands and solve incessant ASUU strike once and for all in the face of dwindling oil revenues.

None! And that's worrying.

Obi did, he said the money the money is still payable yearly at a good instalment amounts. That agreements should not be forsaken for unnecessary excuses. They can't claim there's no money but accountant gen. stole over ₦80billion.
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by starz100: 8:21am On Aug 17, 2022
samuelpeters:

Yes. I agree with you that our institutions are underfunded. But do you think FG don't know the solution to problem?
They do.

For our institutions to move forward, fees MUST go up. It's a better pill we don't want to accept. FG cannot fund all universities to be on par with others.

Education is expensive anywhere in the world.
Since they know you and I would protest if they increase fees and allow universities to be fully autonomous. They continue to keep fees as low as possible and send their children to get a sound education in either our private universities or abroad.

Mind you, in Federal universities, we don't pay tuition. What we pay are services rendered by the university.
Who says they don't pay school fees in federal universities. You for say na free education
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by Mullernobi(m): 8:27am On Aug 17, 2022
*FG-ASUU Last Night Meeting and Speculative Journalism*

A lot of fake news about FG-ASUU meeting is circulating on many social media platforms. Journalists were not given opportunity to be part of the meeting. So, all they churned out are speculations.
National Strike Cordinating Committee (NSCC) meeting is scheduled to hold tomorrow by 7p.m. Afterwards, branch congresses will be summoned where FG-ASUU's meeting outcome will be conveyed and congresses members are expected to decide on what FG offered.

It is very unfortunate that journalists don't understand the procedure of ASUU calling off strike action. It was expected that after FG-ASUU meeting last night, ASUU would suspend strike. So, for them (journalists), anything short of this, is *deadlock* Journalists still don't understand that branches would meet before any decision will be taken by National. So, at the end of the meeting, journalists were not hinted on what happened, so speculative journalism and *deadlock* were reported.

This is the developments so far.

1 Like

Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by TenQ: 8:29am On Aug 17, 2022
Rupertek:

Suggest exactly what you expect the FG to do in the face of lack of funds
Let's say I borrowed N50,000,000 from you and I've paid you only N10,000,000. I am complaining that I can't pay the remaining because I lost the money to fraudsters.

The constitutional way of handling this is that you should sue me to Court so that the courts COMPEL me to pay up. This can be done by confiscating my ASSETS and auctioning them to raise your money. In other words legally speaking, the FG is bound by its own laws to PAY/FULFIL a legal agreement.

That said:
But on a more serious mode,
1. there has to be a complete renegotiation from ground up with books opened (too much lies and misinformation have to be addressed) based on current realities . This is the only way to convince ASUU to be reasonable.
2. The issue of IPPIS/UTAS
It is either FG adopts UTAS or modify IPPIS to accommodate ASUU 's peculiarities
3. School Fees must be reviewed upwards as Quality education is not free
4. FG must also place a tangible demand on ASUU based on the FGs expectations from the Universities.

The FG is wrong and their approach of arm-twisting ASUU into compliance is a wrong approach. Only ASUU and NMA seem immuned to this tactics of the FG.

I don't blame ASSU one bit. They did their homework in 2009 and negotiated with a set of unintelligent shortsighted FG representatives. They didn't just negotiate for cash, they negotiated for future time-value. It's a pity the FG representatives are still shallow in thinking (thinking just in terms of money rather than value).

To get this right, the FG has to go back to the fundamental Question:

The answer is not the simplistic: "Training of manpower for the nation"!
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by samuelpeters(m): 8:33am On Aug 17, 2022
starz100:

Who says they don't pay school fees in federal universities. You for say na free education
You are not paying shit!
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by benjaminlawson(m): 8:34am On Aug 17, 2022
I think the government is insincere about ASUU's matter, when they know they don't have anything on the table, what was the bases for calling for the meeting. Even it was not reported if the Minister on education was present at the meeting. If we do not forget, when we had the same ASUU's strike during Jonathan, he personally led government delegation to meet them and the meeting lasted for more than 10 hours, saying that he want the strike to end that day. But now even the minister of education have not been heard to make a single public pronouncement about how to end the strike, because all of them did not have their children schooling in Nigeria. But let them realise that one day God will definitely deliver the masses of Nigeria from their hands, and they will dearly pay for their sins against humanity.
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by membranus: 8:54am On Aug 17, 2022
sinkhole:
This report is wrong, the meeting did not end in deadlock!
Agreement was reached and ASUU is taking it to their members for discussion, if the members agreed, then it will be approved. ASUU internal meeting holds, this Wednesday morning!

Where is the source of your own report?
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by sinkhole: 9:02am On Aug 17, 2022
membranus:

Even if you know my source and you do not want to believe me, you will still not believe!
I said there will be a meeting yesterday and somebody called me a fool, yet the meeting held, as posted by me.
So, Bros, believe if you want to and disregard if you so choose cool

1 Like

Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by starz100: 9:13am On Aug 17, 2022
samuelpeters:

You are not paying shit!
Federal universities can not be fully autonomous because they are not owned by ASUU. There is no way the government will wake up one day and raise its fees like those of private unis. Nobody will pay #300k in public university when you can get better education in private unis or abroad. Mind you the glory of the federal university is the high patronage it enjoys.
The reason why ASUU will never support a full fledge autonomy is because they will become like private universities. Public university lecturers , you should know earn far more than their private uni counterparts. If federal govt totally hands off subsidy of education, that will mark the beginning of the collapse of education. Again no amount of fee raise that will stop ASUU from going on strike in the future. Around 2001, school fees in federal university was about #3,500 per session, today in the same federal university it about a 100k,that is about 2800% increase for twenty years period. So, yes, this is not the first time.
Any fees increase without commensurate improvement in standard can backfire.
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by onyxo76(m): 9:13am On Aug 17, 2022
ufotunang:
ASUU should had allowed the federal government to include their issues and concerns and financial issues in to the 2023 budget as the federal government said in the meeting....then the next government that will be voted into power will address their problem so far, if it will not be APC that will be in power next year 2023... because all of this is the students that will suffer all this problems.and continunous ASUU strike....their academic careers are delayed....the students are ageing...lots of delay in their life and future ambition

the FG cannot be trusted, since 2009, na so so, dribbling and deceit.
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by GregoryPeterson(m): 9:49am On Aug 17, 2022
membranus:

na insider?

1 Like

Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by GregoryPeterson(m): 9:50am On Aug 17, 2022
sinkhole:
This report is wrong, the meeting did not end in deadlock!
Agreement was reached and ASUU is taking it to their members for discussion, if the members agreed, then it will be approved. ASUU internal meeting holds, this Wednesday morning!
can you give us update and feedback on how their meeting went?
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by BeanmanX(m): 9:53am On Aug 17, 2022
GregoryPeterson:
can you give us update and feedback on how their meeting went?
Ninisun u can see urself that this useless troll is still an undergraduate,,, it's better u start ignoring him now,,, don't let a pig drag u into the mud,,, he's definitely not worth ur time and attention,,,
Re: ASUU-FG Meeting Ends In Deadlock, Strike To Continue by GregoryPeterson(m): 9:56am On Aug 17, 2022
BeanmanX:
Ninisun u can see urself that this useless troll is still an undergraduate,,, it's better u start ignoring him now,,, don't let a pig drag u into the mud,,, he's definitely not worth ur time and attention,,,
keep deceiving yourself.
me and ninisun came to a truce. we're currently communicating via emails and we're knowing each other. She's a married lady in her late 40's and we're cool now.
Fucck off pervert

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

16-Year-Old Boy Has 6 A's In Cambridge's IGSCE / Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? / AAUA Begins Recruitment To Replace Striking Lecturers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.