Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,783 members, 7,813,583 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

Comparing Relationships And Family Roles In Italy Vs Nigeria - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Comparing Relationships And Family Roles In Italy Vs Nigeria (577 Views)

Man Calls Out Nigerian Prostitutes In Italy For Not Cleaning Up Hussle Spot / Why Do Females Celebrate Relationships And Marriage More? Opinion / Nigerian Sex Slave, Princess, Marries Her Client In Italy (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Comparing Relationships And Family Roles In Italy Vs Nigeria by OAra: 12:09am On Aug 21, 2022
Good evening everybody.

I am curious about how different cultures view different aspects of a relationship and the family unit (for example the sexes' roles in said relationship, who is supposed to be the provider, how children are brought up, etcetera), and so I made this thread because I'd like to ask Nairalanders' personal opinion regarding this topic.

I will start with a basic preface regarding how relationships & families are seen in the my homeland, Italy:

• The man is seen as the one that ought to make the first move in approaching the woman, as well as the one that decides whether to get married or not given he is the one supposed to propose
• Both the man and the woman are expected to be providers, even though there is an emphasis/expectation that the man will out-earn his partner
• When the time comes to set up a family, it is quite common to buy a house within a short distance of where one's parents and relatives reside, unless other factors make this impossible (for example if one cannot find work in his home area and so he/she has to relocate)
• Our culture puts heavy emphasis on the family unit; when this is coupled with the fact that Italy is renowned for its people's longevity and the few children we produce, we usually end up with overbearing parents that often strive to give their children the best chance at a good life they can (be it via setting up funds for when the child will be an adult, to enrolling him/her in afterschool activities such as language courses, etc)
• While the mother is expected to take care of the children, because of the fact that usually both parents work this "duty" is usually shared with the grandparents, who end up playing a huge part in a child's upbringing
• The man is still seen as the "rock" of the family, unlike in other Western countries (such as the USA) where there is a more "equalitarian" bent to relationships - this comes with rights as well as duties

To sum it up? Italy is an overall conservative country with a relatively conservative culture where men are expected to provide for their family, but they are also expected to offer leadership when needed; women on the other hand are expected to contribute to the family life (both via work and being the primary figure in terms of taking care for eventual children). Grandparents play a huge role in a child's upbringing due in part to Italians low birthrate, as well as the heavy emphasis our culture puts on intergenerational family units.

How are things in your culture? Similarities, differences...?

Thanks in advance to anyone that has taken the time to satisfy my curiosity.

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Relationships And Family Roles In Italy Vs Nigeria by Ginaz(f): 7:25am On Aug 21, 2022
Nigerians are looking for money, i don't think they would have much interest in your intergenerational family curiosity. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Relationships And Family Roles In Italy Vs Nigeria by afficionado7: 1:22pm On Aug 22, 2022
It's pretty similar here in Nigeria in terms of gender roles. Where we differ, probably, is in the role grandparents play. Younger parents usually live in the bigger cities while the grandparents remain in hometowns, so grandparents only get to see their grandkids once or twice a year (usually during the Christmas and New Year holidays.) Except they're part of the one percent, parents of adult children don't provide for their children. Quite the contrary, the children are expected to cater for their now-old and often-ill parents.
Also, more women are full stay-at-home moms rather than providers. Financial provision is usually left to the men, although the proportion of working wives and mothers keeps growing. I hope this helps.
Re: Comparing Relationships And Family Roles In Italy Vs Nigeria by siofra(f): 3:17pm On Aug 22, 2022
OAra:
Good evening everybody.

I am curious about how different cultures view different aspects of a relationship and the family unit (for example the sexes' roles in said relationship, who is supposed to be the provider, how children are brought up, etcetera), and so I made this thread because I'd like to ask Nairalanders' personal opinion regarding this topic.

I will start with a basic preface regarding how relationships & families are seen in the my homeland, Italy:

• The man is seen as the one that ought to make the first move in approaching the woman, as well as the one that decides whether to get married or not given he is the one supposed to propose

Same thing in Nigeria.

• Both the man and the woman are expected to be providers, even though there is an emphasis/expectation that the man will out-earn his partner

Same thing in Nigeria but some redpillers here will lie that Nigerian women don't contribute anything but that's not true, they are just pained. Nigerian women are the most hardworking people in this country and the highest owners of small businesses.

• When the time comes to set up a family, it is quite common to buy a house within a short distance of where one's parents and relatives reside, unless other factors make this impossible (for example if one cannot find work in his home area and so he/she has to relocate)

Same thing here in Nigeria or at least my part of Nigeria. That's if the parents and relatives are urban dwellers.

• Our culture puts heavy emphasis on the family unit; when this is coupled with the fact that Italy is renowned for its people's longevity and the few children we produce, we usually end up with overbearing parents that often strive to give their children the best chance at a good life they can (be it via setting up funds for when the child will be an adult, to enrolling him/her in afterschool activities such as language courses, etc)

There's heavy emphasis too on the family unit but average life expectancy in Nigeria is pretty short. Grandparents usually live in the rural areas. Many Nigerians don't waste time learning skills like language and music when you can learn tailoring or baking or even IT that can bring you money.

• While the mother is expected to take care of the children, because of the fact that usually both parents work this "duty" is usually shared with the grandparents, who end up playing a huge part in a child's upbringing

The mother is solely expected to look after the children and then years later when the children are mature and closer to their mother, Nigerian men cry foul that the mother "poisoned" their minds against their father undecided

• The man is still seen as the "rock" of the family, unlike in other Western countries (such as the USA) where there is a more "equalitarian" bent to relationships - this comes with rights as well as duties

Same here too.

To sum it up? Italy is an overall conservative country with a relatively conservative culture where men are expected to provide for their family, but they are also expected to offer leadership when needed; women on the other hand are expected to contribute to the family life (both via work and being the primary figure in terms of taking care for eventual children). Grandparents play a huge role in a child's upbringing due in part to Italians low birthrate, as well as the heavy emphasis our culture puts on intergenerational family units.

Nigeria is overly conservative and religious. Dem dey carry am for head.

Are you a Nigerian born in Italy?
Re: Comparing Relationships And Family Roles In Italy Vs Nigeria by OAra: 5:35pm On Aug 22, 2022
siofra:

Are you a Nigerian born in Italy?

No, just an Italian that stumbled on this forum a while back. I participate from time to time in other sections, but primarily I make use of the Diary as a way to put down my general thoughts.

And thanks for the exhaustive asnwer!

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Relationships And Family Roles In Italy Vs Nigeria by OAra: 6:27pm On Aug 22, 2022
afficionado7:
It's pretty similar here in Nigeria in terms of gender roles. Where we differ, probably, is in the role grandparents play. Younger parents usually live in the bigger cities while the grandparents remain in hometowns, so grandparents only get to see their grandkids once or twice a year (usually during the Christmas and New Year holidays.) Except they're part of the one percent, parents of adult children don't provide for their children. Quite the contrary, the children are expected to cater for their now-old and often-ill parents.
Also, more women are full stay-at-home moms rather than providers. Financial provision is usually left to the men, although the proportion of working wives and mothers keeps growing. I hope this helps.

That's an interesting answer to tell the truth. Thanks for it.

(1) (Reply)

This Is The Kind Of Strick Rule We Need In This Era Of Relationship / This Guy Posts Freaky Video Of Olosho Chic / As A Woman Why Are You Insecure Abt Ur Body?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.