Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,761 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! (8089 Views)

Animax Tv (a 24hrs Anime Channel Launches On Hitv) / Hitv Gives Out 100,000 Free Decoders To Nigerians / Hitv & It's Relevance In The Nigerian Broadcast Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by sojioguns(m): 10:25am On Aug 27, 2007
@niyi09,
Dude you really have to curtail your tongue. This is a forum with mature minds that come together to discuss matters. As regards your question, hitv will improve, I, personally am of the opinion that I would rather pay for Dstv than 3000 naira for something I would barely watch.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by folem: 11:06am On Aug 27, 2007
HiTV paid up the mandatory $28 million (N3.5 billion) to put to rest speculations on the broadcast rights ownership of the Premiership for the next three seasons. The company also paid an additional 6.9 million Euros (N1.2 Billion) for the Spanish La Liga for the whole of Africa. Currently, HiTV has made the Spanish game available to local television stations in Nigeria through Optimum Sports Management International (OSMI).

In mid-June the South African Premier Soccer League announced a landmark deal with SuperSport which is on DSTV (HiTV's main rival in Nigeria) platform. The pay-TV channel had bought the television broadcasting rights to South Africa’s football showcase for the next five years. The price? A cool R1.6-billion (N3.2 billion). But well worth it according to SuperSport CEO Imtiaz Patel.

As at today Nigeria Football League is only on DSTV and the vast majority of the youth in Nigeria have an obsession with European football to the detriment of Local football resulting in few spectators at the games and the newspapers sport pages are dominated by Internet articles on European football. The obsession with European/Foreign goods has been our weakness since time immemorial. The youth of today will become the foreign-hospital-loving political leader of tomorrow.

HiTV should concentrate on developing Nigerian Music, Movies and Sports (Football, Basketball, Athletics, Table Tennis, Boxing) and not European football. Monkey wey no fine, the Mama must like am period.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by sojioguns(m): 11:10am On Aug 27, 2007
@ folem
I really like your in-depth anaysis. We should be seeing more posts like this. I agree that hitv has tried, I mean, they have paid a huge sum of money. All I am saying is I want to think like the end consumer who just wants to pay a fee and get darn good programming, period! I dont know if you feel me on that.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by coolkaboom(m): 12:22pm On Aug 27, 2007
i feel u o jare.if hitv thinks gettin premiership rights is all they need to ensure their survival, they wont last very long.they've paid a huge fee for a license they dont have the technology, market depth and expertise on how to recoup their investment, talk less of make a profit.

their decoder platform is a throw-back from the 80s and the picture quality is rubbish.if it's raining nko?just 4get it.then there is d matter of programming content, what excuse can they possibly put forward for recycling 5 naija home-videos on hi-nolly.

it's a collosal disgrace and i'm highly embarrassed on their behalf.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by Egavlas(m): 6:25pm On Aug 27, 2007
Guys, on the issue of the HITV not working when it rains, I havent experienced that. Dstv also doesnt work when it rains. Dstv is on KU band and even with internet, a little wind disrupts service and this happens with DSTV.

However, I don't know why Hitv would not sort out which matches to place on which channel before the mathes start. I mean , why would they be struggling to place arsenal match somewhere while the bolton match took up two places?

Why pay so much money and be so un prepared for the business proper? They have spanish league for Africa but still could not show the Barca match live but showed it later at night? Why would they miss the ACmilan natch just to give us three other Italian league  matches later?
Why would they have and pay for stations like E!, Art,  and Sky news and for weeks now, they are off and they can't do something about it?

During the laliga matches, they were advertsing Kenny music's PrimeTime Africa as a channel coming soon. Why get another Nigezie like thing?

I was told by one of the technicians that they will be adding free to air channels, so why dont they do that and spare themselves the embarrasing hi nolly, hi mix, hi kids and hi ovation nonsense? Those hi owned channels are a disappointment .

They are just like screen savers on a computer screen.

Anyways, There is still much more football than can be seen anywhere else and am totally enjoying the God TV.
Am watching them and they will soon *here* from us
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 27, 2007
@salvage,

I feel you man!
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by blackchief(m): 1:56pm On Aug 28, 2007
here we go again,Hi TV, FSTV, mytv, eurostat etc. in as much as competition is good and needed for the development of every nation, i don't believe in replacing one problem with another.

why can't BON (brocasting organisation of Nigeria ) find a away of buying the EPL (CATEGORE A) and having the same given to the other as against every one for it self. presently if you look at our sky line you see different dish make and size. when new technology is introduced, in the third world as against bring relive it bring poverty.

recently the gsm technology was introduce in Nigeria and due to lack of agreed interconnection rate we see Nigerians moving with 3-4 hand set as against addressing the problem of interconnection. what will happen if in three years time hitv fail to win the right to EPL would all of use move back to DSTV and if we do what happen to the set of dish of hitv set.

the journey we don't need
DSTV +FSTV+DSTV+HITV+MYTV = EPL (SOLUTION WE DON'T NEED)
the journey we need
DSTV/FSTV/HITV/MYTV=EPL (SOLUTION WE NEED)
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by A40(m): 4:31pm On Aug 28, 2007
For all the money they spent why do they find it so hard to give us quality programs, before each premiership game they have this annoying trailer they show about a million times its very annoying
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by duduspace(m): 4:35pm On Aug 28, 2007
blackchief:

here we go again,Hi TV, FSTV, mytv, eurostat etc. in as much as competition is good and needed for the development of every nation, i don't believe in replacing one problem with another.

why can't BON (brocasting organisation of Nigeria ) find a away of buying the EPL (CATEGORE A) and having the same given to the other as against every one for it self. presently if you look at our sky line you see different dish make and size. when new technology is introduced, in the third world as against bring relive it bring poverty.

recently the gsm technology was introduce in Nigeria and due to lack of agreed interconnection rate we see Nigerians moving with 3-4 hand set as against addressing the problem of interconnection. what will happen if in three years time hitv fail to win the right to EPL would all of use move back to DSTV and if we do what happen to the set of dish of hitv set.

the journey we don't need
DSTV +FSTV+DSTV+HITV+MYTV = EPL (SOLUTION WE DON'T NEED)
the journey we need
DSTV/FSTV/HITV/MYTV=EPL (SOLUTION WE NEED)

The Scenario you paint cannot happen, I would suggest you learn a bit more about satellite technology and intellectual property rights.

In case you don't know, MyTV and HiTV use the same set of equipment (KU band satellite dish and Strong Satellite receivers) the only difference is that HiTV is aligned to a different satellite (Eutelsat W4 same as DSTV with the same polarization) from MyTV (IS 7/10) and uses a different smart card (which is analogous to a SIM card in your GSM). In short, if HiTV goes bust today (God forbid), all I would need to do to watch MyTV is to realign my dish, buy MyTV smart card, and pay 2500 bucks.

The funny thing is there are some models of the Strong decoder that can be adapted to accept Irdeto cards (which is the encryption system used by DSTV) but I'm sure DSTV will come up with something to frustrate that since their systems are not open. I scanned my Satellity yesterday and did get the feeds to DSTV content but couldn't access it due to the security protection via Irdeto (both MyTV and HiTV use Conax encryption which is an open standard).

HiTV however should do something about their Satellite signals which attenuate below acceptable levels at night and with any flimsy cloud cover, we know they are just starting and all the blah, blah, blah but we don't all have the same level of patience and shouldn't need to, We are paying for good Service and should be getting it.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by segemafia(m): 1:50am On Aug 29, 2007
waoh.this is one topic that has been on my mind,well i think its a good idea that we now have our version of the dstv and at least we can watch premiership matches live and with just 3k, men i am goin to get hooked nextmonth on hitv,i dont mind if they repeat their programmes so far as i can watch my darlin ARSENAL live weekly its just so cool cheesy
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 29, 2007
@Segemafia,

Good for you, but don't say we didn't tell you ooo grin grin
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by MJAjayi(m): 5:52pm On Aug 29, 2007
Phew
I had read enough on this topic that can put together will be a bestseller anywhere in the world.

Earlier I said HiTV is an alternative to DSTV, I read from other guys that its not while some agreed with me. Alternative product is not comparing to the letter, it is just another one that can be used.

To tell you the truth, I am not happy with their performance lately but nevertheless some people are getting what they want.

What was promised they should give and when other things not promised start coming in people will appreciate.

I got DSTV in 2001 and the only reason then was to watch EPL. I got dissatisfied in other area but kept faith because of EPL. Unfortunately for DSTV, people like me that has not changed their faith will move to HiTV which provide a platform to show EPL.

I wish HiTV management can see this forum. I am even thinking of copying, save and print out and take to their office.

If they cannot change and stick to giving quality service they should know that they are not giving us that deserving alternative.

I thought they will improve but over the last two weeks, they went down drastically.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by duduspace(m): 6:39pm On Aug 29, 2007
Update:

E! and Sky News are now available on the Satellite platform, if you don't have it yet just rescan your decoder.
The nightly attenuation blues have however refused to bow out.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 29, 2007
seems somethings are being corrected

a little patience

see how easy it is to get irritable when u have a choice

in the initial years if DSTV it was terrible

na only recently dem begin to shine
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by guysmat(m): 1:20pm On Aug 30, 2007
Go and try Free to Air (FTA). Hundreds of channels, free of charge
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by duduspace(m): 2:44pm On Aug 30, 2007
guysmat:

Go and try Free to Air (FTA). Hundreds of channels, free of charge

Nothing prevents you from enjoying the best of both worlds anyway, besides not everybody has the time to go satellite hunting with lyngsat and other satellite sites they just wanna watch the Premiership or even in some instances only want to see Wenger's face while others are only interested in Britneys underwear or her lack of one and HiTV presently offers a viable alternative towards achieving that in Nigeria without you needing to be a satellite buff.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by segundash(m): 10:23pm On Aug 30, 2007
I went to a small club (off awolowo way, ikeja), there were 2 TVs there, one showing DSTV, the other HiTV, when the weather changed, the HiTV started mis-behaving then stopped showing any picture but DSTV was still on without any destruption. I'm not here to complain about their service but just to point out that, they still need to do a lot of work to gain subscribers confidence.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by champredd(m): 5:31pm On Aug 31, 2007
segundash:

I went to a small club (off awolowo way, ikeja), there were 2 TVs there, one showing DSTV, the other HiTV, when the weather changed, the HiTV started mis-behaving then stopped showing any picture but DSTV was still on without any destruption. I'm not here to complain about their service but just to point out that, they still need to do a lot of work to gain subscribers confidence.
DsTV also suffer the same problem during bad weather
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by champredd(m): 5:34pm On Aug 31, 2007
segundash:

DsTV also suffer the same problem during bad weather
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by Seun(m): 5:36pm On Aug 31, 2007
[b]He said [/b]he went to a club, and when it started raining, the DSTV was on even after HiTV went off. Grrr!
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by Enigma(m): 8:41pm On Aug 31, 2007
One small observation about satellite picture break-up in cloudy or poor weather:

Whether it is DSTV or MyTV or HiTV, picture break up is not normally because of their own service; rather it is often due to one or more of the following factors:

(a) the dish is not sufficiently properly/optimally aligned --- I think this is the most probably cause of the picture break-ups in Nigeria and I think people should be holding the installers responsible for this; and/or

(b) the dish size is too small ---- I think this is less likely to be the problem; and/or

(c) the cable used to connect from dish to receiver is of poor quality; this is also a possible cause of the problems in Naija.

PS, you can get an idea of how well your dish is aligned by checking the signal quality on your receiver.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by Egavlas(m): 8:44pm On Aug 31, 2007
Just put on HITV and its showing No Access. Whats up with that? Is their own 1 month 22 days?

And if its because of that, then that would be too sad. Just switching of a day before match day.

I paid on the 7th of August. No where in the form did I read that one month is 22 days. This people are trying me o
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by lordide(m): 10:35pm On Sep 02, 2007
Men, na wa o. But I guesss that's why we're Nigerians sha. We always feel like we know it all and assume we would have done a better job if we were in their shoes. Is there anyone who's started a new business and didn't encounter 'teething problems'? I guess its really easy to start a business like HiTv's and not face any serious problems, abi?! I personnaly believe in Hitv, stopped my DSTV subscription (more like exploitation) and bought HiTv in May. I've noticed all their problems but I choose to assume they know they have problems and plan to do something about it. They seem like a serious company, otherwise, they couldn't have won those rights agaisnt DSTV.

Anyway, all I'm saying is: give them a chance. they will surely get better. For now, let all lovers of football enjoy their line up of matches every weekend like I do (even with the late starts!). I can bet a company with the guts to take down a monopolist like DSTV most DEFINITELY knows what its doing! Peace
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by Nobody: 5:45am On Sep 03, 2007
@lordide

Are you sure what you are saying is what you actually feel ?.

Anyway, i will pay attention to your subsequent posts on this thread.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by ray4life(m): 5:13pm On Sep 04, 2007
The main problem with HiTV that nobody seems to be addressing is that of lack of variety in their programming; for instance if we decide to analyse their channels like this:

Dove,God TV,HiLife: Gospel
Hi-sport,Hi-sport2,Hi-Soccer: Sports
CNN,BBC World,Skynew: News
Hi-Mix: I cannot pin it down to anything
MTV base,Nigezie: Musical

the other channels are loads of rubbish

what self respecting cable station will be without the following: Documentary channel, mini series, reality tv channel, a proper movie channel, entertainment channel etc
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by duduspace(m): 1:55pm On Sep 05, 2007
@ray4life

Very important point you've brought up and I'm sure somehow this will get to the management of HiTV and they will take action on it (in their own best interests).

Let us however encourage this guys instead of condemning them (we can still do that without the constant reminder that nothing works in Nigeria) These guys are really trying.

The Satellite platform has been pretty stable for about a week now, no more nightly signal disappearance (their signal strength is even better than DSTV's signal in my location at present) and even I was pleasantly surprised that during the torrential downpours during the Osun Osogbo festival, my TV pictures never broke up like used to happen with DSTV.

Lest I forget, I actually dropped a message about the signal problems I was experiencing on the platform via the feedback form on their website about two days before the improvement in signal strength but I'm not kidding myself I had anything to do with the improvement, it is safer to assume it had always been part of their plan all along.

There are still only 11 channels on the satellite platform which I hope will be increased soon as it does get pretty boring during the week and makes me look so much forward to the weekend when all that soccer is on display (I almost forgot to take my bath last weekend, was glued to the matches through out)

I look forward to them getting dedicated movie and series channels soon.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by damoche07(m): 5:18pm On Sep 05, 2007
will hitv shoe the champions league
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by Shaunscot(m): 9:48am On Sep 06, 2007
Nah.
I dont think they have the rights for UEFA CL yet.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by lordide(m): 12:20pm On Sep 06, 2007
@duduspace

It's good to hear that thier satellite platform is stabilising now. Thier cable platform in Surulere (what I use) has been quite stable for a long time now. Has anyone also noticed other improvements? I noticed thier studios last weekend . . . not bad actually with Deji Tinubu on Saturday and Deji Omotoyinbo on Sunday. My wife also noticed a few new things on Hi mix recently. She watched Oprah (on Monday I think) and Everybody hates Chris plus a few other new things. I really pray they start to get better and better 'cause they just have to. Isn't it time we proved to the world that we're not such a backward country afterall and we can hold our own and be proud of our local media and entertainment. I for one am willing to bet on them getting things right. Even if it's just so that I can be proud of another Nigerian success!

Has anyone being watching thier midweek programming? I only watch mostly on weekends so I can't tell much (other than what my wife says) about thier midweek programs.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by ayusman16(m): 12:07pm On Sep 07, 2007
my hitv has been showing no access since morning when my subscription expires on the 17th, is anybody having this same issuue, their customer care is always busy
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by Nobody: 10:13pm On Sep 07, 2007
I equally noticed that since this morning, though my subscription expired sometimes last week, and i hope that if i pay tommorrow i will be hook up again.
Re: HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy! by ayusman16(m): 9:40am On Sep 08, 2007
put it on n it showed for abt 5mins dis morng, gues dey r wrking on it, dont think i wld pay my subscrption until dey improve, useless nig coy wey neva realise d task b4 dem, exploitin my hard earned money, pls make una no tell me to support our own,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top Five Season Films. / Goldie & Denrele Launch 'Tru Friendship' Reality Show / Xmen Vs The Justice League

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.