Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,712 members, 7,824,022 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? (7588 Views)

Buhari To Complete Zik Mausoleum / Soyinka's Comment Was Pro Igbo Not Anti Igbo- Sule Ahmed / Breaking! Pro-igbo Newly Registered UPP Party Seek Coalition With Apc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Eziachi: 11:00pm On Aug 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Since you do not have the answer, as usual, I'll repost the question again. Try as you may to ignore. I know that it can be that hard since it's Ileke-Idi on the other end of the sword.

Question:
Now back to the question; What is ojukwu's achievement except for planting the seed of hate into the generations of Igbo that will follow his? I've yet to meet any Igbo on NL who have no hate for anything Yoruba or hausa/Fulani. And in circumstances where they can "tolerate" those other ethnicity, it's usually because they're mixed or diluted with Yoruba blood.
I do find you entertaining too.
I didn't tell you that I don't have the answer to your disturbing questions, all I said was that Ojukwu's achievements is least of my worries, especially this evening.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Aug 07, 2011
Eziachi:

I do find you entertaining too.
I didn't tell you that I don't have the answer to your disturbing questions, all I said was that Ojukwu's achievements is least of my worries, especially this evening.

That's good to know.
One would think you'd have not bothered responding then. Since your worry is not my worry, I hope you pretend to not see my questions about ojukwu's achievement(s) in the near future.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Eziachi: 11:06pm On Aug 07, 2011
Eko Ile:

Your deceptive post only highlights the fact that even you are incapable of listing anything. Your insinuations about kenya and independence sounds really bogus and ridiculous, we are talking about nigerian and not kenya and if I might add, the fight for our independence was not limited to zik other notable nigerians contributed and fought the same fight.

please let's stop with the fake and deceptive answers
So you expect me to use a God's given time answering an American who wants to know about Abraham Lincoln for instance.
If you pretend not to know about Zik's, that is not my problem, because I did not pay your school fees to be concerned about where my money went.

1 Like

Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Eziachi: 11:14pm On Aug 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

That's good to know.
One would think you'd have not bothered responding then. Since your worry is not my worry, I hope you pretend to not see my questions about ojukwu's achievement(s) in the near future.
I wish it was good on your part to concentrate on your young life than the life of a son of billionaire, grandfather and now in his 70s with no idea about your existence. That is what we call, a waste of energy.
If in the near future, I wanted to waste a little time, then I can indulge because I have time on my hand than you. I am officially retired, while you had breadfeeding to occupy you for a start.
If you are married with kids as someone just mentioned, where do you get the time to indulge in all this rubbish?
Where is your husband and children now?
I can spent 20 hours here if I wish, because I have done what you suppose to be doing now more than 30 years ago.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by NegroNtns(m): 11:22pm On Aug 07, 2011
Eziachi and the rest,

You all stop bothering that girl about what she does with her time and answer her questions.

What she does with time is her business and what you do with yours is your busines. Answer her questions then she can go spend time on something else.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by edogirl2: 11:31pm On Aug 07, 2011
As a nuetral in this tribal ding dong, here's my take:

It's easier to see or read about Awo's achievemnets, and I believe him to be the greatest indigenous administrator in Nigeria's history (my opinion).

Zik is also an achiever of note but his achievements appear to be more vain-glorious. It's more about the offices he occupied rather than anything quantifiable and tangible.

We can be proud of both.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 07, 2011
Eziachi:

I wish it was good on your part to concentrate on your young life than the life of a son of billionaire, grandfather and now in his 70s with no idea about your existence. That is what we call, a waste of energy.
If in the near future, I wanted to waste a little time, then I can indulge because I have time on my hand than you. I am officially retired, while you had breadfeeding to occupy you for a start.
If you are married with kids as someone just mentioned, where do you get the time to indulge in all this rubbish?
Where is your husband and children now?
I can spent 20 hours here if I wish, because I have done what you suppose to be doing now more than 30 years ago.

Seems like ojukwu's achievements is much more of a worry than you say it to be. I mean, one who is less worried would be less inclined to write be an eight line story, just because I asked a simple question such  the one below:

Now back to the question; What is ojukwu's achievement except for planting the seed of hate into the generations of Igbo that will follow his? I've yet to meet any Igbo on NL who have no hate for anything Yoruba or hausa/Fulani. And in circumstances where they can "tolerate" those other ethnicity, it's usually because they're mixed or diluted with Yoruba blood.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by EkoIle1: 11:47pm On Aug 07, 2011
edo.girl:

It's easier to see or read about Awo's achievemnets, and I believe him to be the greatest indigenous administrator in Nigeria's history (my opinion).

Zik is also an achiever of note but his achievements appear to be more vain-glorious. It's more about the offices he occupied rather than anything quantifiable and tangible.

We can be proud of both.

Very well stated.

Sometimes, its not always about tribe, its about facts and documented history of our country.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by EkoIle1: 12:45am On Aug 08, 2011
Eziachi:

So you expect me to use a God's given time answering an American who wants to know about Abraham Lincoln for instance.
If you pretend not to know about Zik's, that is not my problem, because I did not pay your school fees to be concerned about where my money went.

Your irrelevant and corny answers still translates to your incapabilities and lack of any answers to the questons posed.

Why is it so hard for you to list anything ? We both know the reason why and its because there is nothing to list, we are all nigerians and we all know our history, at least I hope you do.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by volasunkan: 1:06am On Aug 08, 2011
I am really surprised at the attitude of some of my highly cerebral brothers from the east.I am usually uncomfortable when I dont have fact on things,I actually wanted information on specific acheivements of ZIK of Africa afterall,he was collecting salary as a president and PREMIER!And to such a simple innocous request,my brothers went on ala al-almustapha(OMG!).

Could it actually be hard to find specific acheivement(s) of both ZIK (and Ojukwu according to Ileke-Idi)?

definitely,I beleive my igbo brothers have or know something we all dont know.pls educate us,and maybe we could find a reason or otherwise why Zik's resting place is undignified
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by RoadStar: 1:47am On Aug 08, 2011
volasunkan:

I am really surprised at the attitude of some of my highly cerebral brothers from the east.I am usually uncomfortable when I dont have fact on things,I actually wanted information on specific acheivements of ZIK of Africa afterall,he was collecting salary as a president and PREMIER!And to such a simple innocous request,my brothers went on ala al-almustapha(OMG!).

Could it actually be hard to find specific acheivement(s) of both ZIK (and Ojukwu according to Ileke-Idi)?

definitely,I beleive my igbo brothers have or know something we all dont know.pls educate us,and maybe we could find a reason or otherwise why Zik's resting place is undignified
He founded NCNC the first party with a national base
The first Nigerian head of state.
The first Nigerian president
The First Nigerian president of the senate
amongst others
what else do u want from the guy ?
Nelson Mandela is not known for building roads , schools and any infrastructure for that matter
but he is still the most respected SAn
George Washington was a politician and a soldier

Some of u just take tribalism to another level
You can give Awo his due respect without trying to belittle Zik.
If Awo was acheived all i have just listed, he would've been a god.
Zik is the greatest of Nigerias political history.
The next is probably Obj.

For those of us outside western Nigeria Awo is nothing to us.
I know it doesnt feel good but u have 2 live with it !
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by RoadStar: 1:57am On Aug 08, 2011
edo.girl:

We can be proud of both.
Can u please list George Washinton, Thomas Jefferson and Nelson Mandelas quantifiable achievements and tell me why they r so duly respected.
Cant you see that there something wrong with Nigerian mentality and y the country is in such a mess
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by volasunkan: 2:13am On Aug 08, 2011
@ roadstar,
NCNC was an offshoot of the political party originally formed by Herbert Macaulay who formed the 1st political party the country ever had.And this was not even done when he became the premier or president!!And If forming political party is an achievement,then Abacha is great for forming 5 political parties!!
Even a kindergaten kid knows Zik of Africa is the first nigerian president,I really dont expect you to struggle to find his acheivement and lease if you dont have any information on his acheivement,pls research or ask your igbo elders maybe they know what we dont know,till you do that,pls dont derail the topic so people with the info can contribute.

you went completely offmark by bringing Awo to compare to Zik,I dont think it is fair to compare Awo to Zik for as long as you are still struggling to find his acheivement or it will be interpreted that it is out of envy and jealousy that the igbos who wished they had an Awo are unnecessarily antagonistic of the yorubas.The country and posterity beckons on you to inform and educate us on zik's acheivement as nigerian president,not before or after he became president,please
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by EkoIle1: 2:13am On Aug 08, 2011
RoadStar:

Can u please list George Washinton, Thomas Jefferson and Nelson Mandelas quantifiable achievements and tell me why they r so duly respected.

Absolutely irrelevant. We are talking about zik and nigeria, not the people you listed. They have nothing to do with nigeria and nigerian history.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by EkoIle1: 2:28am On Aug 08, 2011
RoadStar:

He founded NCNC the first party with a national base
The first Nigerian head of state.
The first Nigerian president
The First Nigerian president of the senate
amongst others
what else do u want from the guy ?
Nelson Mandela is not known for building roads , schools and any infrastructure for that matter
but he is still the most respected SAn
George Washington was a politician and a soldier

Some of u just take tribalism to another level
You can give Awo his due respect without trying to belittle Zik.
If Awo was acheived all i have just listed, he would've been a god.
Zik is the greatest of Nigerias political history.
The next is probably Obj.

For those of us outside western Nigeria Awo is nothing to us.
I know it doesnt feel good but u have 2 live with it !

This is really embarasing. Ill go ahead and ignor your lies and lack of knowledge about your own history, we are all aware per the the fact that he was the president of nigeria, even small pekin sabi all that, but what we are asking you to list his achievments based on his job or capacities as a public offical. What policies of his or the things he built that benefited Nigerians.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by EkoIle1: 2:37am On Aug 08, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Eziachi and the rest,

You all stop bothering that girl about what she does with her time and answer her questions.

What she does with time is her business and what you do with yours is your busines. Answer her questions then she can go spend time on something else.

I don't even know what the shameful, sexist and misogynistic comments got to do with the topic.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Nobody: 3:21am On Aug 08, 2011
for those of you that didnt grow up in nigeria hence not taught nigeria s history , at least consult wikipedia before creating such threads to insult your leaders, i cant imagine ghananians insulting kwame nkrumah or southafricans insulting mandela or americans insulting george washington, i think our mentality is really becoming messed up and am begining to notice its even worse with nigerians abroad which is a shamful thing cus they are supposed to know better and be more exposed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nnamdi_Azikiwe
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by aljharem3: 3:33am On Aug 08, 2011
edo.girl:

We can be proud of both.

very very well said

you see, I am someone that just don't like the priase worship of people without seeing how we all have benefitted from with they did

chino11:

You are ordinary aboki, you lack coherency. In todays Nigeria how many people still remembers or talks about Murtala the way Great Ziks names rings bell

In nigeria today, they still talk of Murtala, believe it or not. Just because u don't talk of him does not mean other don't

Eziachi:

What is the criterial of naming stuff after people in Nigeria, of which Murtala excelled beyond others like Zik, Aminu Kano, Waziri Ibrahim, Awolowo etc?

I used him as an example

U all can say Murtala did not achieve much but he was given more honour than people that actually achieved
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by EkoIle1: 4:27am On Aug 08, 2011
DRlulu:

for those of you that didnt grow up in nigeria hence not taught nigeria s history , at least consult wikipedia before creating such threads to insult your leaders, i cant imagine ghananians insulting kwame nkrumah or southafricans insulting mandela or americans insulting george washington, i think our mentality is really becoming messed up and am begining to notice its even worse with nigerians abroad which is a shamful thing cus they are supposed to know better and be more exposed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nnamdi_Azikiwe

Your little rant and pointless wiki link means you are just here to rum mouth about other people seeking knowlege, not to offer answers that you obviously don't have.

I don't even knoe what the other folks you people keep listing got to do with zik, its like the trick here is dance and dribble and do everything, but dodge the original question.

This horse and pony show is played out.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Nobody: 4:31am On Aug 08, 2011
Eko Ile:

Your little rant and pointless wiki link means you are just here to rum mouth about other people seeking knowlege, not to offer answers that you obviously don't have.

I don't even knoe what the other folks you people keep listing got to do with zik, its like the trick here is dance and dribble and do everything, but dodge the original question.

This horse and pony show is played out.

i believe that link is still working so stop acting like a mad cow not everyone is interested in fighting with you.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by EkoIle1: 4:50am On Aug 08, 2011
DRlulu:

i believe that link is still working so stop acting like a mad cow not everyone is interested in fighting with you.

Who is fighting with this olodo whose basic source of knowlege is some shallow wiki page? Are you for real?
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Nobody: 5:04am On Aug 08, 2011
Eko Ile:

Who is fighting with this olodo whose basic source of knowlege is some shallow wiki page? Are you for real?

fasholas puppet what is it you want to know about zik you did not find in that link or are you just behaving like the mad cow you are throwing insults everywhere you show up. just stick to fashola praise singing cus thats what your good at.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by RoadStar: 12:37pm On Aug 08, 2011
Eko Ile:

Absolutely irrelevant. We are talking about zik and nigeria, not the people you listed. They have nothing to do with nigeria and nigerian history.

So what counts as an achievement in America is not an achievement in Nigeria.
I guess due to Nigeria's high standards as a Nation of Achievers compared to the US.
If that is what u believe then I cant change that u can go on with ur belief.

But for anyone else interested in this topic, my question remains.
List the material/quantifiable achievements of people like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Nelson Mandela that makes them so endeared by their people.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by RoadStar: 12:47pm On Aug 08, 2011
As an administrator Awo could be the best Nigeria ever had.
But u cannot compare both of them based on Awos hight points as an administrator only.

Its just like saying Wole Soyinka is far greater than Awo just because u had only compared them based on academic qualifications.
When u want to compare 2 people u compare them all round.

As a politician, Zik achieved far more than Awos widest dreams.
The fact remains that Awos only National relevance was as a finance minister under general Gowon.

Asides that he was completely irrelevant to most Nigerians outside the western Nigeria.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Dede1(m): 3:25pm On Aug 08, 2011
Awo did not achieve anything in life except the one-room office law firm and the land he deceitfully acquired in Moroko.

Zik built news media house that stretched from Lagos to Accra and employed Africans of multi-nationalities so that they could put food on the table for their families. Hence, the notion of Zik of Africa stuck with his name.

He stood up football club in Lagos that won a title later known as challenge cup. There are many other achievements that could be credited to Zik but I never regarded anything initiated by individuals through government fund or peoples’ money while such individual occupies top position in government.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Plutarch: 4:24pm On Aug 08, 2011
@Dede
This is just to put d records straight.
Awo also floated a newspaper company known as 'TRIBUNE' and FYI the newspaper is still surviving 24yrs after his demise.
Awo is a great leader that only a bigot will deny.

He introduce free and qualitative education wh has made SW d hub of educated people.
He built the tallest building in Nig n other infrastructures with money frm an organized agriarian economy.
How will you forget d first television station in Nigeria now known as NTA.
He blazed d trail in everything then.
Nigeria is still in need of a leader like him. Little wonder Ojukwu himself wrote regretfully in Awo's condolence register that he was the best president Nig never had.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by RoadStar: 11:18pm On Aug 08, 2011
Plutarch:

@Dede
Awo also floated a newspaper company known as 'TRIBUNE' and FYI the newspaper is still surviving 24yrs after his demise.

He introduce free and qualitative education wh has made SW d hub of educated people.
He built the tallest building in Nig n other infrastructures with money frm an organized agriarian economy.
Nigeria is still in need of a leader like him. Little wonder Ojukwu himself wrote regretfully in Awo's condolence register that he was the best president Nig never had.
And Zik was the First Senate President, First head of state, first commander in chief and first president.
If those are not achievements as a politician, tell me what did George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Nelson Mandela achieve in material tha have attracted respect from their people.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Dede1(m): 1:46am On Aug 09, 2011
Plutarch:

@Dede

You have succeeded where fellow disingenuous posters failed by informing us that Awo achieved practical nothing besides the government of western region. There was no Awo without western regional government and delusional government of Nigeria under Gowon.

If you believed Awolowo floated Tribune when Awo landed in the Protectorate between 1948 and 49, then you can knock yourself out with any conjectural crap. Poor Awo did everything other than commit suicide to graduate from law school.

Pal, I do not give a ratarse if Awoolowo shared the all the cocoa revenue accrued by western regional government to every Nigerian family or what Ojukwu wrote about him. Only fools will arrogate whatever government showers to the people as personal achievement by individuals elected or appointed to oversee such governmental benevolence. 

I am not surprise dreamers from western region of Nigeria would stop at nothing to create a phantom iconic image in Awolowo. In fact, Awolowo created Nigeria. If I did not know better, I could have believed the goofy stuff that Awo built Lagos.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by EkoIle1: 4:35am On Aug 09, 2011
RoadStar:

And Zik was the First Senate President, First head of state, first commander in chief and first president.
If those are not achievements as a politician, tell me what did George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Nelson Mandela achieve in material tha have attracted respect from their people.

we are still waiting t o read what zik achieved with al the positions you listed. We elect leaders do formulate policies to better our lives and put in place projects for economic growths. We just want you to list what exactly zik did that better the lives of nigerians. We all know he was a figure head and irrelevant president with zero power, just tel us in plain english what that figure head president did that bettered our lives.

I know you wount be able to list anything, you go just come with the same silly excuses and divasionary rubbish.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Nobody: 4:37am On Aug 09, 2011
Still no achievement from ojukwu and Zik?
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Demdem(m): 8:53am On Aug 09, 2011
ok guys, im subscribing and honestly here to learn if possible.
For those referring to wikipedia for Zik's achievement, i'v gone and came back with this,

Achievements

He was inducted into the prestigious Agbalanze society as Nnayelugo in 1946, a customary recognition for men of significant accomplishment. Then, in 1962, he became a second-rank red cap nobleman (Ndichie Okwa), as Oziziani Obi. In 1970, he was installed as Owelle-Osowa-Anya, making him a first-rank red cap nobleman (Ndichie Ume).
In 1960, Queen Elizabeth II awarded him the title of Privy Councilor to the Queen of England. He was conferred with the highest national honor of Grand Commander of the Federal Republic (GCFR[14]) by the Federal Republic of Nigeria, in 1980. He has received fourteen honorary degrees from Nigerian, American and Liberian universities. The schools include Lincoln University, Storer College, Howard University, Michigan State University, University of Nigeria Nsukka, University of Lagos, Ahmadu Bello University, University of Ibadan, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka, and University of Liberia.

not bad, at least i for one hasn't achieved any of the above so far which excluded his political activities also but eh an earlier question from this thread came back to my mind after reading through this, was it because he was a puppet for the colonial masters then? that i wouldn't know for now.
Lets be constructive guys.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Ovamboland(m): 9:44am On Aug 09, 2011
Quote from Chino11

This is the mystery that needs your ancestors to explain to you. Great Zik is a Pan African, a legend who things about him will almost take the rest your life on earth to fathom. Great Zik was not ordinary like the rest of them as your Awalaowoa. As a small mind you need to ask colonial masters why Great Zik was made the first President of Nigeria, why the FG has honoured and immortalized him so much more than any other mortal in the annals of Nigerian history- the best airport in Nigeria was named after him, the 2nd to highest bank note of Nigeria, the major roads in all the major Nigerian cities if not all are names after him, his name alone appeared on the Nigerian constitution, his resting place (Onitsha, Anambra state) as well as him birthday place (Niger state) has been undertaken to by the FG unlike every other nationalist and above all he is called the Great Zik of Africa. Go and find out for yourself why all this honor for this singular individual, cause it doesn't come by chance nor laziness. These are great posers for you.

At least to answer one of your questions Zik was chosen because the colonial masters needed another dull and dowdy person to complement any slowpoke NPC will throw up as Prime Minister. They were sorely afraid of Awolowo whom they believe will not allow them free hand to help themselves on Nigeria's resources. They needed someone they are sure can never rock the boat.

It's on record the Brits did all they could to prevent a NPC/AG alliance to form the government or worse still an AG/NCNC alliance which could have energized the colourless Azikiwe to at least have some legacy worth pointing to,

In a nutshell the Colonialist were sure that with a Balewa/Azikiwe run government, neo-colonialism is assured for Nigera

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ogbonnaya Onu Celebrates His 65th Birthday Today / Anambra: Godwin Maduka Withdraws Petition At The Election Tribunal / What Will Be Tinubu Reaction After Reading This Headline - Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.