Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,500 members, 7,823,167 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? (7584 Views)

Buhari To Complete Zik Mausoleum / Soyinka's Comment Was Pro Igbo Not Anti Igbo- Sule Ahmed / Breaking! Pro-igbo Newly Registered UPP Party Seek Coalition With Apc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by AndreUweh(m): 11:44pm On Aug 12, 2011
alj_harem:

The decision to establish the University of Ife by the ruling Action Group party of the Western Region of Nigeria was in protest at the recommendations of the Ashby commission. [size=13pt]The first Nigerian university was established in 1948 at Ibadan, in the western region as an external college of the university of London. However, the needs of Nigeria (then a British colony) far outstripped the productivity of the only university. In particular the University College at Ibadan had no faculty of engineering or technology, no law school, no pharmacy school or management training abilities.[/size] The Ashby commission, set up by the British, was to review tertiary education needs of the soon-to-be-independent nation of Nigeria.

In 1959, the Ashby commission recommended additional (regional) universities in the northern and eastern regions of Nigeria and another federal university in the Lagos protectorate, but none in the more educationally advanced western region which had a 'free and universal primary education' program. The government of the western region did not want to rely on the federal universities or those of other regions to admit its populous secondary school leavers.

as i said earlier, the university was not going well as was about to close down before awo came in to play. just like other missionary schools
You are still getting it Wrong Alh Uche my good friend. I know you are an intelligent poster, but count Awo out of any thing to do with Unibadan, Biko.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by aljharem3: 11:46pm On Aug 12, 2011
Dede1:

You have recently lost grips on reality since you started towing the same lines with the likes of drag queen known as bk.babe97y and deficient farmhand called ahj_harem. Let me make it clear to certain loudmouths on the board that if Awo was tried in a court of law presided over by an Igbo judge, the first asiwaju of Yoruba land would not have died as an ex-convict.

ain't u even ashamed of urself. Look at a small boy schooling u on awo

[size=14pt]My hero[/size]

used to think that a hero is a male character who acted a role of attraction throughout the story. But when our teacher told us and also discovered from the DVD and the My Hero book sent to us, I now know that a hero is not only a person who is admired by many for his noble qualities, or bravery but also one who has positively touched one’s life directly or indirectly. There is no other person that I would say is my Hero than Chief Obafemi Awolowo. He was born in Ikenne South West of Nigeria on 6th March, 1909. His father was a peasant farmer but was able to register Chief Awolowo in Anglican primary school in Ikenne. When his father died, it was difficult for him to continue his education; but being a brave man, he served many masters to continue his education.

Chief Awolowo
He registered for part time studies and after his matriculation in 1939, he completed a Bachelor of Commerce degree in 1944. He co-founded the trade union congress of Nigeria in 1943. He graduated as a lawyer in London in 1947. While in London; he founded the “EGBE OMO ODUDUWA” a Yoruba tribal society. Coming back to Nigeria, he set up a legal practice and in 1950 he organized other Yoruba leaders and formed the Action Group, which won the western Region elections in 1951. He became the leader of the banned Action Group and the leader of the Yoruba’s of Western Nigeria.
My hero became the Minister of Local Government from 1951-54 and later became the prime minister of Western Nigeria with the headquarters in Ibadan. He was able to achieve the following goals, which made the Western Region developed more than other regions.
(1) He built the first stadium of international standard in Nigeria (Liberty Stadium Ibadan)
(2) He built the first skyscraper in Nigeria (Cocoa House)
(3) He created the first television station in Nigeria known as the Western Nigeria Television Station (WNTV)
(4) He established the first radio station.

He resigned the premiership of Western Nigerian 1959 to contest for federal election but failed and he became the leader of opposition in the Federal House of Representative. He consolidated the Action Group to become the “best political party south of Sahara”. After his death, Chief Ojukwu said, "Awolowo was the best President Nigeria never had"

Chief Awolowo on Nigerian currency note

Federal Government named one of the premier universities after him. Former University of Ife in South West was changed to Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria's one hundred naira currency note carries his image and a street in Federal Capital Territory is named to immortalize his name.

Chief Obafemi Awolowo

I have chosen Chief Awolowo as my hero because I am not only a living being today but an educated person. This is because he:
• Fought for free health care, which gave my father the chance to survive during a disease out break at that time.
• Fought for free education at all levels, which gave my parents the opportunity to attend school at that time.
He also fought for other things in order to benefit the masses, which made him (Chief Obafemi Awolowo) and the Federal Government to be at opposing sides. Chief Awolowo was survived by Hannah his wife and three children. He lost one child in a car accident when he was young. For these and many others, Chief Awolowo has made me what I am and I have made him my hero, which he will always be because I don’t know where I would have been if he had not helped my parents.

Written by Nathaniel from Abuja
This story has been submitted by a guest user and does not necessarily represent the views of The My Hero Project or its staff.

http://www.myhero.com/go/hero.asp?hero=O_Awolowo_LC_GSSG_nigeria_06_ul

a very small innocent boy cry cry
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by aljharem3: 11:53pm On Aug 12, 2011
Andre Uweh:

You are still getting it Wrong Alh Uche my good friend. I know you are an intelligent poster, but count Awo out of any thing to do with Unibadan, Biko.

why should i count him out, ogini nwanne

I said the university was going down just like other structures the colonail masters did and he resurrected it. Yet u are saying i should count him out undecided

the school was been destoryed gradually, he he repaired it, so what are u talking about brother

if he did nothing for UI was a a hall named after him

after all, he already has a university and a hall named after him previously
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by AndreUweh(m): 11:59pm On Aug 12, 2011
@Alh Uche, there is a hall named after Awo in U.I. It is based on the fact that Awo was a nationalist and one of the founding fathers of modern Nigeria. There is no where in the annals of the university that Awo repaired or donated anything to Unibadan.
But before Awo, Azikiwe etc had buildings named after them.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by aljharem3: 12:03am On Aug 13, 2011
Andre Uweh:

@Alh Uche, there is a hall named after Awo in U.I. It is based on the fact that Awo was a nationalist and one of the founding fathers of modern Nigeria. There is no where in the annals of the university that Awo repaired or donated anything to Unibadan.
But before Awo, Azikiwe etc had buildings named after them.

brother, I am not denying this fact. as u rightly said UI was the first univerisity

also u said others had there names in UI before awo.

why did UI can it's mind to put awo in the mix undecided
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Dede1(m): 12:08pm On Aug 13, 2011
alj_harem:

ain't u even ashamed of urself. Look at a small boy schooling u on awo

[size=14pt]My hero[/size]

used to think that a hero is a male character who acted a role of attraction throughout the story. But when our teacher told us and also discovered from the DVD and the My Hero book sent to us, I now know that a hero is not only a person who is admired by many for his noble qualities, or bravery but also one who has positively touched one’s life directly or indirectly. There is no other person that I would say is my Hero than Chief Obafemi Awolowo. He was born in Ikenne South West of Nigeria on 6th March, 1909. His father was a peasant farmer but was able to register Chief Awolowo in Anglican primary school in Ikenne. When his father died, it was difficult for him to continue his education; but being a brave man, he served many masters to continue his education.

Chief Awolowo
He registered for part time studies and after his matriculation in 1939, he completed a Bachelor of Commerce degree in 1944. He co-founded the trade union congress of Nigeria in 1943. He graduated as a lawyer in London in 1947. While in London; he founded the “EGBE OMO ODUDUWA” a Yoruba tribal society. Coming back to Nigeria, he set up a legal practice and in 1950 he organized other Yoruba leaders and formed the Action Group, which won the western Region elections in 1951. He became the leader of the banned Action Group and the leader of the Yoruba’s of Western Nigeria.
My hero became the Minister of Local Government from 1951-54 and later became the prime minister of Western Nigeria with the headquarters in Ibadan. He was able to achieve the following goals, which made the Western Region developed more than other regions.
(1) He built the first stadium of international standard in Nigeria (Liberty Stadium Ibadan)
(2) He built the first skyscraper in Nigeria (Cocoa House)
(3) He created the first television station in Nigeria known as the Western Nigeria Television Station (WNTV)
(4) He established the first radio station.

He resigned the premiership of Western Nigerian 1959 to contest for federal election but failed and he became the leader of opposition in the Federal House of Representative. He consolidated the Action Group to become the “best political party south of Sahara”. After his death, Chief Ojukwu said, "Awolowo was the best President Nigeria never had"

Chief Awolowo on Nigerian currency note

Federal Government named one of the premier universities after him. Former University of Ife in South West was changed to Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria's one hundred naira currency note carries his image and a street in Federal Capital Territory is named to immortalize his name.

Chief Obafemi Awolowo

I have chosen Chief Awolowo as my hero because I am not only a living being today but an educated person. This is because he:
• Fought for free health care, which gave my father the chance to survive during a disease out break at that time.
• Fought for free education at all levels, which gave my parents the opportunity to attend school at that time.
He also fought for other things in order to benefit the masses, which made him (Chief Obafemi Awolowo) and the Federal Government to be at opposing sides. Chief Awolowo was survived by Hannah his wife and three children. He lost one child in a car accident when he was young. For these and many others, Chief Awolowo has made me what I am and I have made him my hero, which he will always be because I don’t know where I would have been if he had not helped my parents.

Written by Nathaniel from Abuja
This story has been submitted by a guest user and does not necessarily represent the views of The My Hero Project or its staff.

http://www.myhero.com/go/hero.asp?hero=O_Awolowo_LC_GSSG_nigeria_06_ul

a very small innocent boy cry cry

This young boy deserves my pity. He is wrongly informed by ill-informed rumor peddlers determined to perpetuate essence of illusion and creation of phantom iconic image of Awolowo.

If ahj_harem is not a dupe or fraud, he or she would have attempted to disabuse the mind of this young fellow by editing the misinformation fed to the young boy.

For example:

Awolowo, through correspondence, completed a Bachelor of Commerce degree in 1944. He co-founded the trade union congress of Nigeria in 1943. Later, he earned a law degree from London School of Economics in 1947. While in London; he co-founded the “EGBE OMO ODUDUWA” a Yoruba tribal society. Coming back to Nigeria, he set up a legal practice and in 1950 and was among Yoruba leaders who formed the Action Group. Due to carpet-crossing by Yoruba peeps in NCNC that swelled number of seats assigned to tribal political party; Action Group formed the government of western Region in 1951.

He was the leader of the banned Action Group and the leader of the Yoruba’s of Western Nigeria.
My hero became the Minister of Local Government from 1951-54 and later became the prime minister of Western region of Nigeria with the headquarters in Ibadan. Awo and Action Group were able to achieve the following goals, which made the Western Region as developed as other regions.
(1)    Western region of Nigeria built the first stadium of international standard in Nigeria (Liberty Stadium Ibadan)
(2)   Western region of Nigeria built the first skyscraper in Nigeria (Cocoa House)
(3)    Western region of created the first television station in Nigeria known as the Western Nigeria Television Station (WNTV)
(4)    Western region of Nigeria established the first radio station.

He resigned the premiership of Western Nigerian 1959 to contest for federal election, won and became the leader of opposition in the Federal House of Representative. He consolidated the Action Group to become the “tribal political party south of Sahara”. After his death, Chief Ojukwu said, "Awolowo was the best President Nigeria never had"
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by RoadStar: 10:14am On Aug 14, 2011
Now that two of Awos said achievements have eliminated, can we now correctly assign those achivements to Zik.

Even if Awo took over UI, he did that after zik had founded UNN.

Hence Zik created the first Indegenous full fledged Nigerian Univerity.
Zik founded the first indegenous fully owned Nigerian Bank.

Now I will thouroughly examine the rest of the claims.
i'm sure not all of them r true.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by OmoLisabi(m): 10:31am On Aug 14, 2011
RoadStar:

Now that two of Awos said achievements have eliminated, can we now correctly assign those achivements to Zik.

Even if Awo took over UI, he did that after zik had founded UNN.

Hence Zik created the first Indegenous full fledged Nigerian Univerity.
Zik founded the first indegenous fully owned Nigerian Bank.

Now I will thouroughly examine the rest of the claims.
i'm sure not all of them r true.

Did you even know when Unn was created? Olodo
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by RoadStar: 2:33pm On Aug 14, 2011
UNN was created in 1960 while UI became a full fledged independent university in 1962.
I stand to be corrected.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by OmoLisabi(m): 4:09pm On Aug 14, 2011
The UI graduates of pre 62, are they not university graduates?
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by RoadStar: 6:54pm On Aug 14, 2011
OmoLisabi:

The UI graduates of pre 62, are they not university graduates?
Yes they were, but were awarded University of London degrees, technically making them University of London graduates.
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Fellonigerians: 3:32pm On Feb 01, 2013
It is very sad that people who gave their time and energy for the independence of this country are discussed here by people who have not even sacrificed anything for their nuclear families... I cry for this country filled with ungrateful citizens... If you cannot see the achievements of any of our founding fathers, then you are as blind as a bat...
Re: What Are Zik's Acheivement That Made Him Pro-nigeria And Not Pro-igbo? by Ilaje44(m): 7:37am On Feb 02, 2013
Fellonigerians: It is very sad that people who gave their time and energy for the independence of this country are discussed here by people who have not even sacrificed anything for their nuclear families... I cry for this country filled with ungrateful citizens... If you cannot see the achievements of any of our founding fathers, then you are as blind as a bat...

Why dont you tell them about his great archievements instead of bitching on their ungratefulness. You would be doing justice to the memory of the Heroes, and also helping the clueless ingrates - according to your opinion - gain some knowledge.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ojukwu’s Firm Rejects Bianca As Director / Lagos Bans Hawking Of Drugs / BREAKING NEWS: Governor Akpabio Collapses, Rushed To London Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.