Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,213 members, 7,818,723 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban (32846 Views)

Report Of Ban On Billboards: Handiwork Of Mischief Makers - Edo Govt / Okada Riders Storm Sokoto For Tinubu : Pictures / Buhari Orders Conditional Lifting Of Ban On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by ogododo: 3:44pm On Aug 29, 2022
Commercial motorcyclists, popularly called ‘Okada’ riders, numbering thousands, stormed Lagos House, Alausa, Ikeja, office of Governor Bababjide Sanwo-Olu, with a plea to suspend the ban on their activities in six Local Government Areas, LGAs, scheduled to commence on September 1, 2022, on Thursday, precisely.

Recall as part of the on-going phase clampdown, Sanwo-Olu, had on August 18, 2022, announced total ban on activities of Okada riders in additional four Local Government Areas and their respective Local Council Development Areas, LCDAs of the state, commencing from September 1, 2022.

Earlier, traditional rulers, religious leaders, residents, Community Development Associations, among others called on Lagos State Government to consider a total ban on the operations of Okada riders across the state to end menace and security threat posed by the group.

It is instructive to note on May 18, 2022, Sanwo-Olu made a pronouncement on the total ban on Okada operations in six LGAs, and the respective nine Local Council Development Areas, LCDAs, under them including all major bridges and highways of the State and the subsequent inauguration of the Lagos State Anti-Okada Squad saddled with the responsibility to aid the police and taskforce to implement and enforce total compliance with respect to the law to curtail the unruly activities of the riders.

Sanwo-Olu had on May 10, 2021, reviewed the 2012 Lagos Traffic Law guiding the Okada operations, after his predecessors, Babatunde Fashola and Akinwunmi Ambode’s administrations banned their activities.

The initial six LGAs and nine LCDAs are: Apapa, Apapa-Iganmu LCDA, Ikeja, Ojodu, Onigbongbo, Lagos Island, Lagos Island West, Lagos Island East LCDAs, Lagos Mainland, Yaba LCDA, Surulere, Coker Aguda, Itire-Ikate LCDA.

Others include: Eti-Osa, Eti-Osa East, Eti-Osa West, Iru Victoria Island and Ikoyi-Obalende LCDA.

The additional four councils affected by the pronouncement, include: Kosofe, Ikosi-Isheri, Agboyi-Ketu LCDAs, Oshodi-Isolo, Isolo, Ejigbo LCDAs, Shomolu, Bariga LCDA and Mushin, Odi-Olowo LCDA.

The protesting Okada riders were led by chairman of Motorcycle Operators Association of Lagos State, MOALS), Ramoni Eleniyan and few other union leaders.

As if press time, 3.30pm, the leadership of Okada association were in a emergency meeting with government officials led by Deputy Governor, Dr. obafemi Hsmzat to find an amicable resolution to the issue.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/08/okada-riders-storm-sanwo-olus-office-beg-for-suspension-of-ban/

5 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by NwaNimo1(m): 3:45pm On Aug 29, 2022

14 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by citygarden(m): 3:48pm On Aug 29, 2022
The Lagos state government should not reverse is order. Ban them permanent

145 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 29, 2022
Chai cry

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by BrodaAgbaya: 3:56pm On Aug 29, 2022
Jennifer663:
Chai cry

I live in Shomolu, i don`t have a car either but i hope the govt maintains the ban. Sanity is needed in Lagos abeg.

186 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 29, 2022
BrodaAgbaya:

I live in Shomolu, i don`t have a car either but i hope the govt maintains the ban. Sanity is needed in Lagos abeg.
Its true .

91 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by FreeStuffsNG: 4:05pm On Aug 29, 2022
citygarden:
The Lagos state government should not reverse is order. Ban them permanent
I agree but I plead with my Governor to extend the ban by 2 weeks and use the 2 weeks to enlighten them and the public on why the ban is in our over all interest. It is still part of democracy. Engagement helps.

So I will suggest 2 weeks of grace while LASG do the needful in terms of public enlightenment.
check my signature for free stuffs!

178 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by ogododo: 4:42pm On Aug 29, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

I agree but I plead with my Governor to extend the ban by 2 weeks and use the 2 weeks to enlighten them and the public on why the ban is in our over all interest. It is still part of democracy. Engagement helps. So I will suggest 2 weeks of grace while LASG do the needful in terms of public enlightenment.
Extend wetin?

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by slawomir: 4:44pm On Aug 29, 2022
Damnnn niggar

Nonsense

Lagos should continue with the ban

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by VeryWickedMan: 4:44pm On Aug 29, 2022
They must accept agbado and cassava first

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by Naijasermons(f): 4:44pm On Aug 29, 2022
Wow..
Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by MajorShek(m): 4:44pm On Aug 29, 2022
Ok
Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by Agbadocassava: 4:44pm On Aug 29, 2022
The ban should be upheld to cub criminal activities, if Jagaban becomes president Okada would be banned nationwide.

Vote for Tinubu today…

16 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by olatade(m): 4:45pm On Aug 29, 2022
excommunicate them permanently from lagos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by Higgies(m): 4:45pm On Aug 29, 2022
Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by id4sho(m): 4:45pm On Aug 29, 2022
shocked
E_hailing drivers cáshing out

7 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by pongwa(m): 4:45pm On Aug 29, 2022

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by Ijaya123: 4:45pm On Aug 29, 2022
They can relocate to other states where there's no ban on okada. Must everybody be Lagos?

FreeStuffsNG:

I agree but I plead with my Governor to extend the ban by 2 weeks and use the 2 weeks to enlighten them and the public on why the ban is in our over all interest. It is still part of democracy. Engagement helps. So I will suggest 2 weeks of grace while LASG do the needful in terms of public enlightenment.

Extend what exactly? I don't seem to understand your point here.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by McOluOmo: 4:46pm On Aug 29, 2022
Are they tired of VAWULENCE.?

Guys wey no get girlfriend get peace of mind

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 29, 2022
It’s beta okada stay banned in lagos. Those guys go just drink action bitters then start driving like fools on lagos roads

17 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by SugarGirl44(f): 4:46pm On Aug 29, 2022
imagine the audacity.
After banning you, you still rode the same bike to the govt house.
They should seize all their bikes immediately.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by majamajic(m): 4:46pm On Aug 29, 2022
grin grin grin

Them still carry okada come , Niger republic and Chad are very stubborn people

7 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by illuminutty: 4:46pm On Aug 29, 2022
Look at their audacity.

They rode on banned okadas to the office of the person that banned the okada to ask for the lifting of the ban.

Very soon association of drug dealers and igbo smokers would storm NDLEA office smoking igbo and sniffing drugs and asking Marwa to lift the ban on hard drugs.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by bestman09(m): 4:46pm On Aug 29, 2022
cool
So what happens to the people selling motorcycle and the spare parts? What happens to the mechanics who repair and service the bikes? What happens to their families who are being fed from the proceeds of the business? What happens to the passengers they commute daily?

Was any provisions made for those affected or does the government wants to create more criminals with this action?

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by rusher14: 4:46pm On Aug 29, 2022
They should leave Lagos.

I heard they are in demand in Anambra state.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by GardenOfGod(m): 4:47pm On Aug 29, 2022
They made a mistake by going to the governor. According to the old grandpa's supporters, they should have gone to the real owner of Lagos to beg. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by Angrygoat: 4:47pm On Aug 29, 2022
Okada is the beginning of panic at top speed,esp from aboki. If its not fender,it's backlight
Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by FORHII: 4:47pm On Aug 29, 2022
I take God beg Sanwo-Olu not to suspend anything.....me self no get car but i feel sanity is much needed in this our Lagos. Ibeg.

6 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Storm Sanwo-olu’s Office, Beg For Suspension Of Ban by Allaboutbusines: 4:47pm On Aug 29, 2022
Okada wahala. The craze is something else.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari’s Memory Loss Normal, Even Jesus, Mohammed Did, Fake News – Festus Keyamo / Kwankwaso Visits Ibrahim Shekarau In Abuja (Photos) / Adeyinka Grandson Convicted On Charges Of Terrorism, Inciting Genocide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.