Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? (7795 Views)

What Are Those House Chores That You Dont Like Doing? / What To Do When Your Husband Won’t Help With House Chores / Should Husbands Hide Money From Their Wives? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by Beowulf(m): 6:33am On Aug 09, 2011
I have noticed that household chores seem to be the province of women alone in Nigeria. Maybe in the old days yes, but these days of working class spouses I believe men should try as much as possible to help out in chores around the house.
I have seen cases where a husband would come back from work before the wife and stretch out on the sofa flipping TV channels waiting for the wife to come in to do the chores and still prepare meals.
This practice seem to be prevalent and I don't think it is fair.

Contrary opinions with reasons are welcome.
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:39am On Aug 09, 2011
I was raised in a home where the father did his share if not more

I feel bad for those exposed to lazy losers as fathers esp women.
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by Nobody: 6:46am On Aug 09, 2011
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by dave2(m): 5:20pm On Aug 09, 2011
The woman or wife is not a slave, we must get the point straight.
There is nothing wrong in helping your wife with some house chores.
I personally assist my wife with a lot of house chores most times.
When she was pregnant, i was practically doing everything until i hired a maid.

1 Like

Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by Iranoladun(f): 5:36pm On Aug 09, 2011
It is a personal choice for both husband and wife; who does what and what percentage

If husband and wife work full time. Then it is expected that the husband will assist the wife in his own little way with household chore even if he acts as baby-minder while wife is cooking.

Moreover any woman who married a man that believe household is a taboo for the menfolk while she works full time better device means of getting help or she will die young while husband enjoys life to the fullest. Get a part-time help or weekend housekeeper, laundry man etc

You cannot eat your cake and have it: get a full time job and also be 100%
there as a wife, mother, housekeeper, etc
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by dave2(m): 5:55pm On Aug 09, 2011
I know this will be an avenue for women to pour out their minds wink wink wink wink wink
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by armyofone(m): 6:16pm On Aug 09, 2011
so unfair to average african woman. i guess some like the role of supper woman so no complaint.
cooking, cleaning, washing toilets wink, general house work should be for both.
i grew up in a house where my dad did his fair share when he is not traveling.
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by DrummaBoy(m): 6:44pm On Aug 09, 2011
Apparently most of us help our wives out with house chores
That brings the thread to an end
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by DrummaBoy(m): 6:47pm On Aug 09, 2011
The chap using his wife like a slave will not show up here.
We are all holy good saintly hardworking husbands.
hmmm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by dayokanu(m): 7:36pm On Aug 09, 2011
If the wife is contributing financially at home, then I see no reason why the man shouldnt do household chores, If he doesnt want to do chores he should pay (from his pocket) for a maid.

There are a lot of chores at home a man can do.

Even if he cant cook(if he is a bad cook) nothing stops him from doing the laundry, Hooving the carpet, loading the dishwasher etc.

1 Like

Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by armyofone(m): 7:41pm On Aug 09, 2011
dishwasher ko, dawn soap ni tongue talk abt washing the plates/dishes, spoons, forks and knives with sponge and soap. isnt that how you all expect women to do it tongue. btw, how many africans in ilu oyinbo do you see using dishwasher, the machine is like docoration in the kitchen grin

dayokanu:

If the wife is contributing financially at home, then I see no reason why the man shouldnt do household chores, If he doesnt want to do chores he should pay (from his pocket) for a maid.

There are a lot of chores at home a man can do.

Even if he cant cook(if he is a bad cook) nothing stops him from doing the laundry, Hooving the carpet, loading the dishwasher etc.

oh oh, he is a bad cook eh? we should be eating out and doing take out jare.
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by dayokanu(m): 7:44pm On Aug 09, 2011
Eating out wont be a bad idea if you are paying for it
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by dellnet: 2:24pm On Aug 10, 2011
What happened to the house boy/maid the man pays for?
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by Mobinga: 2:27pm On Aug 10, 2011
I'm Celibate.
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by ypad: 2:33pm On Aug 10, 2011
Husband should also help in house chores once in while. It makes the wife feel she is not a slave in her matrimonial home.
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by Demdem(m): 2:43pm On Aug 10, 2011
i help my wife out constantly and i dont see myself stopping in the nearest future.

chaircover:

It depends on the husband. Some men are very hands on and even put their wives to shame in the housework department.

I think it depends on upbringing too; all the boys brought up in my family are excellent cooks. Our parents brought us all up the same and the boys can cook and the[b] girls can change tyres. [/b]

I have however seen families where the boys are treated like gods. These are the ones who go on to marry and expect their wives to wait on them hand and foot.

At the end of the day we are only human and any man who decides to let his wife slave day and night without him lifting a finger is only cutting his wifes life short,  inviting health problems & pretime aging for his wife. Its his choice.

He can have an exhausted & snappy wife or a content and happy wife who has time to be a wife in other areas not just housework.

chaircover, be honest. do ur know how to do this? when last did u do it?
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by Jencejyde(m): 2:44pm On Aug 10, 2011
Always  had a feeling someone was gonna bring up a thread like this, hmmm

Let me keep quiet first, and Dayo what are you doing here oh grin grin grin grin  

are you analyzing Bayern players duties here grin grin grin just asking ni oh!
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by omaojo1: 2:53pm On Aug 10, 2011
By all godly means, yes.
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by uboma(m): 2:54pm On Aug 10, 2011
By all means, YES, Husbands shod assist their when they can in the house chores
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by imurboss: 3:29pm On Aug 10, 2011
Husbands should assist their wives in household chores when the need arises so the wife won't feel like a slave while the man feels like a king!
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by iyatrustee(f): 3:35pm On Aug 10, 2011
i hope all this men here truly practise what they preach? my own husband would not do any house chores oh. infact last night he woke me up in the middle of the night to give him water from the frigde in our room to drink! angry angry angry
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by baslone: 3:41pm On Aug 10, 2011
I wan be like Dangote when I grow up. I'll find out if he has that time to then I'l make my decision too!
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by Princek12(m): 3:50pm On Aug 10, 2011
If a husband comes home and lies on the couch waiting for his wife to come home and prepare meals for him, then let him lay hungry.

With refrigerators and microwaves, the problems associated with preparation of meals should end. The wife can prepare a large quantity of food and store it in the refrigerator, and the husband can microwave it if his wife is not at home.

And if the wife works more than the husband, then he should share in the chores. But that does not remove the doing of household chores from the wife's province, as she his principally responsible assuming they both have equal amount of spare time. But if she has less spare time, then it is only fair and right for the man to step up.
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by Princek12(m): 3:53pm On Aug 10, 2011
iyatrustee:

i hope all this men here truly practise what they preach? my own husband would not do any house chores oh. infact last night he woke me up in the middle of the night to give him water from the frigde in our room to drink! angry angry angry

sorry to say, but your husband is a lazy man. I know dudes like that. He cannot get his own water to drink? So if you are not at home he waits for you to come home to give him water to drink?

Are you sure you are a wife or a house girl? You may need to confirm it with your husband master

2 Likes

Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by Epiphany(m): 3:58pm On Aug 10, 2011
chaircover:

It depends on the husband. Some men are very hands on and even put their wives to shame in the housework department.

I think it depends on upbringing too; all the boys brought up in my family are excellent cooks. Our parents brought us all up the same and the boys can cook and the girls can change tyres.

I have however seen families where the boys are treated like gods. These are the ones who go on to marry and expect their wives to wait on them hand and foot.

At the end of the day we are only human and any man who decides to let his wife slave day and night without him lifting a finger is only cutting his wifes life short,  inviting health problems & pretime aging for his wife. Its his choice.

He can have an exhausted & snappy wife or a content and happy wife who has time to be a wife in other areas not just housework.

1000 kisses for you o. Let me know where to meet you.

Spot on answer. I was brought up in a home where the guys can cook, bake and carry out household chores. My sisters can change tires, fix minor auto problems, change electric bulbs etc. I think it is good to allow both boys and girls interchange these duties once in a while. It not only helps them later in life, it makes them appreciate these efforts from their spouses when they get married

1 Like

Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by Demdem(m): 4:01pm On Aug 10, 2011
iyatrustee:

so becos u arent privilege to have a husband that does such you feel we may not be sincere right? well each to his own.
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by Epiphany(m): 4:02pm On Aug 10, 2011
iyatrustee:

You dont mean it  shocked shocked shocked. AND YOU DID IT? You should have told him to get it himself.  grin

Sometimes before some girls get married, i always ask them to find out if the men they want to marry are 'house trained'. Okay on the understanding that some men are not, i ask them to find out if these men will eat food prepared by domestic help in the house (because some men demand that their wives MUST cook their food). If the men cant cook and will not eat any food prepared by domestic help, then the women entering that marriage are going to be 'slaves'.
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by iyatrustee(f): 4:08pm On Aug 10, 2011
Demdem:

so becos u arent privilege to have a husband that does such you feel we may not be sincere right? well to each to his own.

of course i know a lot of men who do house chores, so i do not doubt you guys. its just that nobody seems to agree that they do not help out. embarassed embarassed embarassed

Epiphany:

You dont mean it  shocked shocked shocked. AND YOU DID IT? You should have told him to get it himself.  grin

i tink its true that some boys grew up like mini gods cos they happened to be the only boy in the midst of plenty girls. this helped in shaping their belief that household chores are a woman's exclusive responsiblity. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by stagger: 4:08pm On Aug 10, 2011
Anything pertaining to house keeping is the woman's responsibility. If a man decides to help, it is principally what it is: HELP.

Help rendered is not a compulsory stuff. But of course, there are situations where it just makes some sense for a husband to help out.

For example, whenever my wife is out of the country, I do not expect her to come back after a journey of many hours and then enter the kitchen to start cooking, or expect her to go to market same day and then start cooking. That is wickedness.

Personally in such situations, I hit the kitchen and do the cooking. But otherwise, she handles all kitchen and house chore activities while I do what I am supposed to do as a man: providing for the household.

After all, let us face it; many wives earn money and we married men know very well that at one time or the other, we tap into their financial reserves when our own tap runs dry (warning: should not be habitual).
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by walcolm(m): 4:34pm On Aug 10, 2011
IMO it depends on what the agreement is, if the guy shoulders the bulk of breadwinning responsibility, then the wife should shoulder the bulk of house chore responsibility

if the wife chips in equally in the finance department, she deserves to have her husband chip in equally at the domestic front. in that case, the husband is not helping out but doing his duty

1 Like

Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by ssfWeShss: 5:22pm On Aug 10, 2011
walcolm:

IMO it depends on what the agreement is, if the guy shoulders the bulk of breadwinning responsibility, then the wife should shoulder the bulk of house chore responsibility

if the wife chips in equally in the finance department, she deserves to have her husband chip in equally at the domestic front. in that case, the husband is not helping out but doing his duty
tru talkk
Re: House Chores: Should Husbands Chip In? by r231(m): 5:30pm On Aug 10, 2011
No grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shocking photos of Young girls forced into marriage [pictures] / Is It Safe To Have S*E*X During First Trimester Of Pregnancy / Your husband cheats. Now what?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.