Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,650 members, 7,816,665 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them - Car Talk (108) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them (98277 Views)

Wrong Overtaking: Who Is At Fault? / REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech / Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (129) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by ianian: 9:32am On Dec 22, 2023
sienna 2001

While driving, the driver side mirror just shifts on its own to the end without me pressing the button, during this period the buttons wont be able to control it. Since I am in motion, I just return to neutal gear, then turn off engine and restart so the weird movement will stop, then I can now adjust the mirror again. This happens rarely, like 3 months interval.

My question is this, is the practice of turning off engine in motion and restarting it a healthy practice? abi I dey use my hand spoil my car?
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by Dozieson(m): 12:09pm On Dec 22, 2023
Jjokke:
I bought a brand new radiator for my Lexus RX330.
I told the mechanic that I need to buy coolant. He said I should use ONLY water for some time (like 3 months) before using coolant.
Please I need opinions on this because I don't know if a new radiator require only water first before using coolant.

use coolant
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by slowice(m): 5:37am On Dec 24, 2023
My 2007 Honda accord doesn't really smoke but the exhaust pipe has lots of black sooth in it. I don't really know why.
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by kingreign(m): 8:56am On Dec 24, 2023
slowice:
My 2007 Honda accord doesn't really smoke but the exhaust pipe has lots of black sooth in it. I don't really know why.

Scan it and post codes here I'd tell you what causes it.
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by slowice(m): 9:36am On Dec 24, 2023
kingreign:

Scan it and post codes here I'd tell you what causes it.
Ok will do that on Wednesday
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by Dumas32(m): 4:59pm On Dec 24, 2023
MeGt:

Turns out na belt cause am. Fixed
Did you change the belt?
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by mubbyone(m): 6:00pm On Dec 24, 2023
My 2004 Toyota Corolla engine dies off any time I pull out the oil dipstick or oil cover for engine, and this started happening after I just changed the engine rings.
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by Angrygoat: 6:11pm On Dec 24, 2023
Like say u dont know what it is. Your ringed your engine usong kazeems and now engine has lost compression. Why ring an engine.when replacement is better...now who loose .so if u come on AC..the car go shut down off
mubbyone:
My 2004 Toyota Corolla engine dies off any time I pull out the oil dipstick or oil cover for engine, and this started happening after I just changed the engine rings.
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by Dozieson(m): 7:11pm On Dec 24, 2023
mubbyone:

Just dey manage am until you replace with toks. No dey remove the dip stick and cover again
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by MeGt: 3:39am On Dec 26, 2023
Dumas32:

Did you change the belt?

Yes
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by David50: 9:17am On Dec 26, 2023
Merry Christmas.
Lets use this time to appreciate our mentors on this group who have been very benovelent with their wealth of knowledge and experience..
Kingreign
Jceesquare
Dozieson
Gazzuz
Nurey
Luvinhubby
And others

God bless you sirs. Please keep up the good work.

4 Likes

Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by Akinfrank: 2:26pm On Dec 26, 2023
I have the 2009 V6 3.3l Hyundai sonata and it has been making a rattling sound for about 3 seconds at first start up only, some say it's the timing chain/tensioner, last week it would drive smooth and cut out and sometimes refuse to restart until a few minutes have passed, took it to get checked and it had code for crankshaft position sensor, had that replaced with a new one (not a Hyundai made as the Hyundai office in Lagos said they didn't have it, a friend bought it for me at ladipo) replaced but the problem still persisted.
Took it back again and it had code for camshaft position sensor, had those replaced ( also new) and the random engine cutouts stopped but the car started shaking if on Drive and not moving, and it also didn't respond quickly when the accelerator pedal was depressed, it'd increase rpm but not increase speed accordingly/respond fast enough, the running was rough and this was new.
Took it back again and it was showing P0335, the mech said it has probably jumped timing( at this point the mechanic was already getting frustrated), drove it back home and parked it, and it won't restart, cranks but will not start, do you think it's the timing chain? If it is, can you recommend a good brand and where to buy? I need to fix the car and I don't know what mechanic or electrician to trust anymore, these sensors and other things I bought which appeared to be guesses from technicians I visited already cost me over 120k, I've been to three mechanics/rewire, the first mechanic Even had me buy a new fuel pump.
I need your advice on what to do and maybe a recommendation about a good mechanic/rewire based in Akure
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by kingreign(m): 3:13pm On Dec 26, 2023
David50:
Merry Christmas.
Lets use this time to appreciate our mentors on this group who have been very benovelent with their wealth of knowledge and experience..
Kingreign
Jceesquare
Dozieson
Gazzuz
Nurey
Luvinhubby
And others

Thank you sir. Merry Christmas to you too. God bless you too.
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by kingreign(m): 3:15pm On Dec 26, 2023
Akinfrank:
I have the 2009 V6 3.3l Hyundai sonata and it has been making a rattling sound for about 3 seconds at first start up only, some say it's the timing chain/tensioner, last week it would drive smooth and cut out and sometimes refuse to restart until a few minutes have passed, took it to get checked and it had code for crankshaft position sensor, had that replaced with a new one (not a Hyundai made as the Hyundai office in Lagos said they didn't have it, a friend bought it for me at ladipo) replaced but the problem still persisted.
Took it back again and it had code for camshaft position sensor, had those replaced ( also new) and the random engine cutouts stopped but the car started shaking if on Drive and not moving, and it also didn't respond quickly when the accelerator pedal was depressed, it'd increase rpm but not increase speed accordingly/respond fast enough, the running was rough and this was new.
Took it back again and it was showing P0335, the mech said it has probably jumped timing( at this point the mechanic was already getting frustrated), drove it back home and parked it, and it won't restart, cranks but will not start, do you think it's the timing chain? If it is, can you recommend a good brand and where to buy? I need to fix the car and I don't know what mechanic or electrician to trust anymore, these sensors and other things I bought which appeared to be guesses from technicians I visited already cost me over 120k, I've been to three mechanics/rewire, the first mechanic Even had me buy a new fuel pump.
I need your advice on what to do and maybe a recommendation about a good mechanic/rewire based in Akure

Check wiring going to crankshaft sensor for continuity, check if the Pulsator ring is intact and not damaged or bent, if these are intact, check ECM.

1 Like

Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by easytig(m): 3:22pm On Dec 26, 2023
Hello house ,was driving then suddenly,my dashlights came on,my car Kia rio refused to start nor crank,which was quite strange,cause my battery is still good,barely three months,called my mechanic he connected one wire from the battery to the starter,it crank but didn't start,he disabled my car security,still no start, next he claims I should go and buy a new brainbox,which didn't sit well with me.i manage to call few guys who helped push it to my area of abode.i feel the brain box is not bad , maybe he doesn't know what to do,I need help and suggestions 🙏
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by Angrygoat: 3:48pm On Dec 26, 2023
Fuse. Alternator side needs some rewiring. Na rewire work. Highest 3k
easytig:
Hello house ,was driving then suddenly,my dashlights came on,my car Kia rio refused to start nor crank,which was quite strange,cause my battery is still good,barely three months,called my mechanic he connected one wire from the battery to the starter,it crank but didn't start,he disabled my car security,still no start, next he claims I should go and buy a new brainbox,which didn't sit well with me.i manage to call few guys who helped push it to my area of abode.i feel the brain box is not bad , maybe he doesn't know what to do,I need help and suggestions 🙏

1 Like

Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by Akinfrank: 3:51pm On Dec 26, 2023
Thank you @kingreign, the electrician checked the continuity to the crankshaft position sensor wire with a test lamp the last time I visited, I don't know what the pulsator ring is, so far these are the codes the electricians have told me they saw after scan, firstly it was P0685 (about the main relay) it was checked and that went away, then it was P0011 and then P0335, I don't know if it helps to add that this problem began the day I noticed my speedometer worked intermittently, sometimes it doesn't work and then later it picks up, so I have a wheel speed sensor code, that was the first code, after these electricians have touched my car my speedometer permanently stopped working, maybe that's not the reason for the crank no start I have now but this is the car's history.
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by kingreign(m): 4:30pm On Dec 26, 2023
easytig:

Could be a ground wire, a relay, a fuse or anything. Get the opinion of another competent electrician and avoid your mechanic for now.
Also, avoid this fellow and his terrible advice

Angrygoat:
Fuse. Alternator side needs some rewiring. Na rewire work. Highest 3k
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by jceesquare(m): 4:51pm On Dec 26, 2023
David50:
Merry Christmas.
Jceesquare
Merry Christmas and wishing you a prosperous new year ahead.
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by jceesquare(m): 4:53pm On Dec 26, 2023
Akinfrank:
The initial diagnosis for stretched chain and bad tensioners were right.
Those engines are known to have tensioner issues.
Replace both tensioners, replace chain, replace all chain guides and your issues should be resolved.
Try to stick to recommended oil weight and change your oils regularly henceforth if you've not been doing that.
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by jceesquare(m): 4:58pm On Dec 26, 2023
easytig:
Remote diagnosis would be difficult. Get a competent technician to come check it out before throwing parts at it.
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by Akinfrank: 5:06pm On Dec 26, 2023
Thank you for your reply, is there a way to confirm its the timing chain and or tensioners? I am thinking the head and covers on the side can be taken down to see if the engine has jumped timing, and if this is really the case I have read timing chain replacing has to be done by a person who really knows what he's doing as there can't be mistakes, I don't know which mechanic to trust with such a Job, should that be the case, thanks again
jceesquare:

The initial diagnosis for stretched chain and bad tensioners were right.
Those engines are known to have tensioner issues.
Replace both tensioners, replace chain, replace all chain guides and your issues should be resolved.
Try to stick to recommended oil weight and change your oils regularly henceforth if you've not been doing that.
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by jceesquare(m): 5:12pm On Dec 26, 2023
Akinfrank:
Thank you for your reply, is there a way to confirm its the timing chain and or tensioners? I am thinking the head and covers on the side can be taken down to see if the engine has jumped timing, and if this is really the case I have read timing chain replacing has to be done by a person who really knows what he's doing as there can't be mistakes, I don't know which mechanic to trust with such a Job, should that be the case, thanks again
Take the valve cover out and turn cylinder 1 to top dead center (follow engine mark on harmonic balancer). If the timing is off even by a tooth, then your chain has slacked and tensioner bad.
Any mechanic that is comfortable working on a chain driven V6 engine should be able to set your timing right.
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by Akinfrank: 5:21pm On Dec 26, 2023
Thank you, I'll update when there's any development.
jceesquare:

Take the valve cover out and turn cylinder 1 to top dead center (follow engine mark on harmonic balancer). If the timing is off even by a tooth, then your chain has slacked and tensioner bad.
Any mechanic that is comfortable working on a chain driven V6 engine should be able to set your timing right.
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by easytig(m): 8:01pm On Dec 26, 2023
Alright will call for more competent technicians.
jceesquare:

Remote diagnosis would be difficult. Get a competent technician to come check it out before throwing parts at it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by easytig(m): 8:03pm On Dec 26, 2023
I was suspecting electrical issues, will call for another electrician to look at the fuses and relays
kingreign:

Could be a ground wire, a relay, a fuse or anything. Get the opinion of another competent electrician and avoid your mechanic for now.
Also, avoid this fellow and his terrible advice

Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by McCoded007(m): 12:02am On Dec 27, 2023
Hello House. Compliments of the season.

Please why does my belt makes a squeaking sound whenever i put on AC.
Corolla '06.
Thank you.
Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by kingreign(m): 6:57am On Dec 27, 2023
Angrygoat:
Roadside kazeem went hopeless n was almost going mental when nairaland did not open for days.kingreign u r a dead man walking and the day i will branch your alignment shop.i swear.u wont survive close range .dont dare me. U r an incompetent wacko. Failed dunce. Dont make me come to your roadside shop to blast you on the spot .

Lmao

It's gotten to the point where you can now threaten to shoot me abi?

Just to let you know, it takes me nothing to dig out info about you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by kingreign(m): 6:59am On Dec 27, 2023
McCoded007:
Hello House. Compliments of the season.

Please why does my belt makes a squeaking sound whenever i put on AC.
Corolla '06.
Thank you.

Worn out belt, misaligned belt, belt not tensioned properly can cause squeaking.

1 Like

Re: Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them by kingreign(m): 7:05am On Dec 27, 2023
Angrygoat:
U r a nobody and if care is not taken.i would render u useless.idiot flocking around nairaland cos na free site. Get lost u condemned daft. Ride along and get ypurself a life. U baztad

K grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (129) (Reply)

List Of 24 Cars You Should Never Buy By Nigerian Twitter User (Photos) / Photos-Official Car Of The Nigerian President / Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.