Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,773 members, 7,813,564 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:00 PM

Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This (46435 Views)

Masari: No President Better Than Buhari Since Nigeria’s Amalgamation In 1914 / Garba Shehu Slams Governor Ortom: No Ex-president Can Take Your Insults / #EndSARSProtest: 'Nigeria Has No President' - Farooq Kperogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by lanrexdo(m): 12:03pm On Nov 11, 2022
100% truth

I have been explaining this over and over to people. The whole system is rotten from the said constitution.

Toks2008:
Nigeria problem is not really about leadership but of structural anomaly brought about by a failed constitution of 1979 and amended in 1999...This is the reason why any elected president will never make any viable progress because the present constitution is very inimical to the progress of Nigeria.

Even if Jesus comes down to rule Nigeria, he will definitely restructure the entire failed system first before assuming power because even the scriptures attest in the books of psalms 11vs3 "If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?"

As 2023 approaches, rather than drumming up support for any candidate or any party, Nigerians should clamor for a total overhaul of the 1979/99 constitution that has stagnated the country for several years because in my opinion, no matter who gets there, no substantial progress can ever be made with the present structure and we will only keep going round and round in circles for many years to come.

More saddening is that the leaders in political offices know this but have vehemently refused to do anything about it simply because the present unproductive structure comes with so much largesse for them.

Nigerians should come together to demand that the country returns to the 1960/63 constitution which reflects true federalism with regions as federating units or restructure the present system to allow True federation.

This will end the economic stagnation of many years, accelerate national growth, put an end to the clamor for secession and foster the unity of Nigeria thereby making her more productive, more powerful and more dominant on the global economic scene.

Before the next President embarks on any task, restructuring must be done else all his efforts will be futile and will end up like his predecessors.

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by ElSudani: 12:04pm On Nov 11, 2022
Danisaint112:
Vote Peter Obi for a restructured Nigeria. Peter Obi has said he will do it one of the reason he has my vote.

He doesn't have the structure to make it happen. You need a whole lot of elected officials to be on your side and share your ideas, senators, Reps etc. It will be a forlorn hope for a president without this type of structure to even attempt to restructure the country.

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by codemaniacs: 12:10pm On Nov 11, 2022
lereinter:

Yes I believe in regions ran govt

And I think there's something sinister about nigeria not having a functional refinery

Maybe there's an unwritten rule about the year nig must have a refinery

You have a problem.. your problem is you think in terms of Nigeria..

it's not about Nigeria not having a refinery it's about an individual , a state , group of states, group of private companies , group of people e.t.c building and owning a refinery..

Thats one of the reasons the north is building a refinery through dang:ote.

Lagos ogun and all the SW states could have come together and contributed to build a refinery since all these years..

Same thing for the SE and SS they could have come together to build anything they want.

The Eastern region ( the Igbos ) would have had one of the biggest oil companies in the world if they had built an oil company instead of trying to take over Nigeria through war.
Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by CodeTemplar: 12:13pm On Nov 11, 2022
hedonido:
How exactly will restructuring or true federalism 'end' Nigeria's economic stagnation? How? I'm curious.

The clamour for restructuring and true federalism would clearly give greater control to the federating units/regions, and promote a sense of localised power, but that's even unlikely - because the minorities within each region would still cry out about inequalities and marginalisation.

Then of course the most immediate reality that would emanate from true federalism is that the core North would be absolutely penurized because the largesses they have unfairly enjoyed for decades would be eliminated. So of course there would be no near term 'improvement' in the economy of the North. Rather, their economic woes will be x10 of what it is today.

The truth is that true federalism or restructuring is more a cry for justice - justice for the South specifically - than anything else. That's why the North cannot and will never entertain any such talk.

Restructuring indeed is the only way out. Though lots of ignorant and self seeking folks are against it like you are. The system of trying to share our inheritance or natural resources is failing fast and needs to be replaced by a structure that supports production.

3 Likes

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by TeeHaa: 12:13pm On Nov 11, 2022
Bobbiee:
That system didn't work back them. It was an imported constitution from Britain. Britain works because the English comprises a vast majority (over 70% of the population), and unlike us Nigerians, they are not tribal in nature. This is evident by the fact that foreigners like Nigerians can go there and become mayors and supreme court leaders.

Nigeria is an ethnic jungle. People welcomed the 1970s constitutional amendment when it came then because the old constitution very nearly split the country apart (civil war and such).

For one, the old constitution doesn't account for the fact that there are over 250 minority groups living in Nigeria. Which was an oversight by our colonizers who simply lumped everyone into Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba. A crude mimicry of their home system of English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish, which are the only ethnic groups. In this constitution, a lot of minority groups where sidelined, couldn't hope for their own people getting key positions on a national level even in their own home, as the regions where not evenly distributed, e.g Eastern Region, Western Region, and Northern Region.

In Nigeria today, people are already marginalized. Imagine what happens when it no longer becomes legally enforced for Inclusivity on employment. If left to their own devices, each state would only employ people native to their own state. A lot of agitations would spring out, and we'll have another civil war in our hands.

I went indepth on this and even thought up a better way that Nigeria can be governed, one that doesn't draw from both the current and old constitution. I called it the Winning Horse Constitution. Read all about it here:

https://www.nairaland.com/7379603/created-new-nigerian-constitution-what

I totally agree with your surmise. Going back to 1963 constitution is going back to making the North bigger and stronger politically in the context of Nigeria. This is what Awolowo fought to correct. Even in the 1963 constitution, politicians still put a lot of prize in being the Prime Minister of Nigeria i.e. Awolowo values more to be Prime Minister of Nigeria than Regional Premier of South West. Also like you mentioned, we all tend to forget that there are 250 "minorities" in Nigeria who prefer this present political setup than the 1963 setup - at least they have influence in their states.
Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by gidgiddy: 12:15pm On Nov 11, 2022
Truthday:

Ojukwu destroyed that change by bringing war. And don't you ask why the confederation was abolished? History must not repeat itself. People with brain in their head learn from history

It was the abolishment of the 4 Regions by Gowon, and breaking of the confederation agreed at Aburi, that forced Ojukwu to declare Biafra, and Gowon to declare war

In other words, confederation was never the problem, the problem was those who did not want confederation

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by Calpam01: 12:17pm On Nov 11, 2022
Where were the law makers when the constitution was amended in 1999?
Why do they not want restructuring?
Who will give us true federalism?
Vote wisely!
Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by ozimec(m): 12:17pm On Nov 11, 2022
Toks2008:
Lalasticlala I believe this is insightful.

You maybe right but then, the power for any constitution amendment or review lies on the National and state assemblies not really on the President. However, in the case of our country, North will never support restructuring or true federalism because they believe it will not favour them and, without their support you can't get the required two third number. Remember 2014 National Conference.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by Enceladus(m): 12:18pm On Nov 11, 2022
duro4chang:
Thank you. But why is it difficult to change or amend all those areas even under Obasanjo?

Because we need

1. Four out of five of all houses in the country. This means at least 24 states' houses of assembly must support it. This is virtually impossible.

2. Two-thirds majority of the National assembly must also support it.

These two requirements are against the South that majorly suffers from the bad constitution,

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by garfield1: 12:18pm On Nov 11, 2022
chrisxxx:

Do u know the disproportionate allocation of resources this is causing? When Kano has LGAs twice that of Lagos.

But still your rivers and lagos collects more than kano.ss collects the highest so what's the issue
Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by Enceladus(m): 12:18pm On Nov 11, 2022
ozimec:

You maybe right but then, the power for any constitution amendment or review lies on the National and state assemblies not really on the President. However, in the case of our country, North will never support restructuring or true federalism because they believe it will not favour them and, without their support you can't get the required two third number. Remember 2014 National Conference.

So what do you think we can do in your opinion? Really curious.
Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by Fearyourcreator: 12:19pm On Nov 11, 2022
Blakjewelry:

Why do you think it was far fetched when it was achieved before during the regional government. It can be achieved, easy money leads to the corruption we facing. It was done before and it can be achieved again, do not be deceive the word north or south, the only problem we have is a united politicians who are looking for easy money to steal.
Nigeria has been before oil ...
Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by Danisaint112(m): 12:19pm On Nov 11, 2022
ElSudani:

He doesn't have the structure to make it happen. You need the need a whole lot of elected officials to be on your side and share your ideas, senators, Reps etc. It will be a forlorn hope for a president without this type of structure to even attempt to restructure the country.

If he was able to pull it off in Anambra I believe he will be able to do so too in the major seat of power. Some how he will make them do his biden.

The way officials you mentioned will love him and carry out his requests will be like voodoo. No superstitious believe here but fact.

Look around and learn from what is happening and what has happened before.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 11, 2022
The "BRITISH & THEIR NIGERIA PUPPETS" will never allow this to Happen. Know this and have peace of Mind..

4 Likes

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by codemaniacs: 12:22pm On Nov 11, 2022
telleyway:

This is what they want you to believe, North is rich in mineral resources, vast land for agriculture and skillful youths for wealth creation.
Before the discovery of crude oil, Nigeria economy was doing well with Cocoa and groundnut. Today, most of the tomatoes �, onions �, etc are mostly coming from north... And the list continues.
Today gold � in zamfara is not going to the federation account but oil in the south is the national cake �.
The problem is north runs a system that favours a few people, that's why even though most richest in this country, the poorest also comes from there.

If today Nigeria decided to go to regional government, it will only take a few years and north will be on top again.

ElSudani:

The north is sitting on resources more valuable than crude oil. Agriculture alone can transform the north to one of the richest parts of Africa, not just Nigeria.
This unitary system doesn't encourage states to look inwards, generate their own income and pull their people out of poverty.

Northern Nigeria can never ever surpass Southern Nigeria and that's the main reason the Br:itish amalgamated and joined north and south Nigeria in 1914 due to the north having a terrible deficit in balance of trade.

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by gidgiddy: 12:23pm On Nov 11, 2022
TeeHaa:

I totally agree with your surmise. Going back to 1963 constitution is going back to making the North bigger and stronger politically in the context of Nigeria. This is what Awolowo fought to correct. Even in the 1963 constitution, politicians still put a lot of prize in being the Prime Minister of Nigeria i.e. Awolowo values more to be Prime Minister of Nigeria than Regional Premier of South West. Also like you mentioned, we all tend to forget that there are 250 "minorities" in Nigeria who prefer this present political setup than the 1963 setup - at least they have influence in their states.

I agree that Nigeria does not have to go back to 4 Regions, but I disagree that going back to 4 Regions would make the North stronger. No way!

The reason is that the 1963 constitution allowed all 4 Regions to control their resources and develop at their own pace regardless of who controlled power at the centre. Thats why the centre was weak. It is when you control your own money that you control your destiny. Not this current system where everyone is running to Abuja every month for subvention

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by ElSudani: 12:23pm On Nov 11, 2022
Danisaint112:

If he was able to pull it off in Anambra I believe he will be able to do so too in the major seat of power. Some how he will make them do his biden.

The way officials you mentioned will love him and carry out his requests will be like voodoo. No superstitious believe here but fact.

Look around and learn from what is happening and what has happened before.

It doesn't work that way in Abuja. He even got impeached twice in Anambra meaning he didn't have a firm control of the legislature. The same scenario is going to play out in Abuja.
Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by Fearyourcreator: 12:25pm On Nov 11, 2022
Blakjewelry:

Many people don't seem to understand the root cause of our problems, as the FG feeding the state directly power is far from the people, the primary focus on governance should be the local government, then state before the federal government because the local council is closest to the people. I even I have blueprint on how the local government can change Nigeria.
For instance if each local government decide to provide modern farming equipment and too to hire to farmers for a small fee, then provide storage facilities for storage of perishable goods like chicken, tomatoes, vegetables etc. What if local government decide to keep their local government area clean by sweeping sand and dirt of the road, clean drainage and waste for small fee, it will create employment also. What if local government decide to repair maintain street lights provided state government and other intervention bodies. The list is endless.
We mostly looking in the opposite direction... Local governments see more problems the people are facing more... But it been neglected by the people which only look to the president... State are collecting allocation what are they doing with the funds... If the funds is too small why are governors not complaining
Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by Fearyourcreator: 12:26pm On Nov 11, 2022
Blakjewelry:

Many people don't seem to understand the root cause of our problems, as the FG feeding the state directly power is far from the people, the primary focus on governance should be the local government, then state before the federal government because the local council is closest to the people. I even I have blueprint on how the local government can change Nigeria.
For instance if each local government decide to provide modern farming equipment and too to hire to farmers for a small fee, then provide storage facilities for storage of perishable goods like chicken, tomatoes, vegetables etc. What if local government decide to keep their local government area clean by sweeping sand and dirt of the road, clean drainage and waste for small fee, it will create employment also. What if local government decide to repair maintain street lights provided state government and other intervention bodies. The list is endless.
I tell people close to me exactly this all the time... That's why I don't have any preferred presidential candidate... Cus I dont beleive they can do much for the people ... It's only election time you see them

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by homebase(m): 12:26pm On Nov 11, 2022
This topic is the elephant in the house as regards Nigeria challenges.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by gidgiddy: 12:28pm On Nov 11, 2022
benjaminlawson:
My problem with some of us in this forum that are saying the north will not accept. Does that mean that we have made the north to be superior to the south? Or a tribe to dominate about other 300 tribes? Let us leave this nonsense and face the reality, Nigeria belong to us all, and inability to make all tribes equal will always lead to agitation. After all, those who claimed to be superior do not have anything to show for it, and in an ideal situation, those with economic power must dictate the pace.

You dont get it, the current system gives the North an edge over the South.

To give an example, just the North East and North West control about 40% of the national assembly

You cant even pass any law without them

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by babajero(m): 12:31pm On Nov 11, 2022
hedonido:

You've not said anything in response to specific concerns raised. Such escapist brevity doesn't signpost wit or wisdom.
Do you you know that the laxity in the northern part of Nigeria almost in every spheres of life, is due to the system of government practiced in Nigeria and the written contents in what we call a constitution?
Or do you think the over population and low concern for education in the north will exist that much if quota system was not enshrined in the rubbish called constitution?
Do you think the north will feel so aloof if the resources generated in the south is spent to develop the south instead of the north?
Do you think the north will like WAEC and NECO to put the cut off marks of South at 200 and something and that of the north at 10 and below if Nigeria is practising regional system of government?

Whether people like you like it or not, the type of government practiced in Nigeria and the written paper called constitution is the real bane of Nigerian development. Nigeria needs to go back to regional government with an aboriginal constitution attested to by the indigenous people, and watch how every regions will be competing to out develop each other

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by codemaniacs: 12:31pm On Nov 11, 2022
gidgiddy:

It was the abolishment of the 4 Regions by Gowon, and breaking of the confederation agreed at Aburi, that forced Ojukwu to declare Biafra, and Gowon to declare war

In other words, confederation was never the problem, the problem was those who did not want confederation

You again.

You've come with your fake and false version of history.

Ojukwu declared Biafra because the Ig:bos through Ironsi had control of Nigeria was killed and that meant Ig:bos no longer controlled Nigeria and it's resources and so Ojukwu decided to try to take over Nigeria again using Biafra..
Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by duro4chang(m): 12:34pm On Nov 11, 2022
Enceladus:

Because we need

1. Four out of five of all houses in the country. This means at least 24 states' houses of assembly must support it. This is virtually impossible.

2. Two-thirds majority of the National assembly must also support it.

These two requirements are against the South that majorly suffers from the bad constitution,

Hmmmm!
Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by MansoryMX(m): 12:35pm On Nov 11, 2022
Toks2008:
Nigeria problem is not really about leadership but of structural anomaly brought about by a failed constitution of 1979 and amended in 1999...This is the reason why any elected president will never make any viable progress because the present constitution is very inimical to the progress of Nigeria.

Even if Jesus comes down to rule Nigeria, he will definitely restructure the entire failed system first before assuming power because even the scriptures attest in the books of psalms 11vs3 "If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?"

As 2023 approaches, rather than drumming up support for any candidate or any party, Nigerians should clamor for a total overhaul of the 1979/99 constitution that has stagnated the country for several years because in my opinion, no matter who gets there, no substantial progress can ever be made with the present structure and we will only keep going round and round in circles for many years to come.

More saddening is that the leaders in political offices know this but have vehemently refused to do anything about it simply because the present unproductive structure comes with so much largesse for them.

Nigerians should come together to demand that the country returns to the 1960/63 constitution which reflects true federalism with regions as federating units or restructure the present system to allow True federation.

This will end the economic stagnation of many years, accelerate national growth, put an end to the clamor for secession and foster the unity of Nigeria thereby making her more productive, more powerful and more dominant on the global economic scene.

Before the next President embarks on any task, restructuring must be done else all his efforts will be futile and will end up like his predecessors.

Please can you list 10 things inside the constitution we practice that needs to be added, scrap or amended?
Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by 07kjb: 12:39pm On Nov 11, 2022
Latakia:
May my investments and your investment in life not be worth next to nothing.

When an important issue like this is going on u bring out your stupidity

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by chrisxxx(m): 12:41pm On Nov 11, 2022
garfield1:

But still your rivers and lagos collects more than kano.ss collects the highest so what's the issue
Rivers and Lagos receive infinitesimal of what they make. This is where the resource control sets in.
Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by FatherofAsaad: 12:45pm On Nov 11, 2022
Toks2008:

My kindly advice let we the youths take this country by force. I actually believe slavery was a choice because I can see clearly now the fears in people face to stand up against their oppression.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by codemaniacs: 12:48pm On Nov 11, 2022
babajero:
Do you you know that the laxity in the northern part of Nigeria almost in every spheres of life, is due to the system of government practiced in Nigeria and the written contents in what we call a constitution?
Or do you think the over population and low concern for education in the north will exist that much if quota system was not enshrined in the rubbish called constitution?
Do you think the north will feel so aloof if the resources generated in the south is spent to develop the south instead of the north?
Do you think the north will like WAEC and NECO to put the cut off marks of South at 200 and something and that of the north at 10 and below if Nigeria is practising regional system of government?

Whether people like you like it or not, the type of government practiced in Nigeria and the written paper called constitution is the real bane of Nigerian development. Nigeria needs to go back to regional government with an aboriginal constitution attested to by the indigenous people, and watch how every regions will be competing to out develop each other

Your problem is you think the regions will be competing to out develop each other..

Why compete when they can use violence to illegally take over a region.

When Nigeria practiced regionalism the Ig:bos through the prime minister Azikwe gave every federal government jobs in every region to the Igbos and that's why there's a video of the then premier of northern Nigeria warning about the Igbos and an audio of Akintola also warning about the Igbos.

And Azikwe still wanted to be premier of the western region just because at that time the western region was the richest region. They were jealous of the western region.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by Rico96(m): 12:51pm On Nov 11, 2022
Please remove Jesus Christ in your reference... Don't cross our redline and respect our religion...thanks
Toks2008:

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by gidgiddy: 12:52pm On Nov 11, 2022
codemaniacs:

You again.

You've come with your fake and false version of history.

Ojukwu declared Biafra because the Ig:bos through Ironsi had control of Nigeria was killed and that meant Ig:bos no longer controlled Nigeria and it's resources and so Ojukwu decided to try to take over Nigeria again using Biafra..

You need to Google what was agreed at Aburi to know that is not true. Ojukwu actually wanted the highest ranking officer at the time, Brigadier Ogundipe, a Yoruba man, to take over, as military tradition recommends.

At Aburi, Ojukwu agreed that Gowon, who was at the time junior to several officers, including Ojukwu, should become head of State as long as Nigeria was run as a confederation until the return of civilian rule.

Gowon returned to Nigeria, turned his back on the Aburi agreement he signed in Ghana, and to add insult to injury, announced Decree 14, which abolished all 4 Regions all together, replaced them with 12 brand new states, half of which was allocated to the North, took away resource control and fiscal federalism

Ojukwu was left with no choice but to declare Biafra

Aburi is one of the major reasons they will never teach Nigerian history in schools, they dont want people to know the truth

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: No President Can Solve Nigeria Problem Without Doing This by codemaniacs: 12:54pm On Nov 11, 2022
gidgiddy:

You dont get it, the current system gives the North an edge over the South.

The current system was created by Ironsi ( the Ig:bos ) to favour the Igbos but it back fired and now favors the north and the U:K...

So stop crying for what your ancestors caused and started...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerians Voted Change, Not Acts Of Masturbation, Iwuanyanwu Tells Buhari / Uchechi Okwu Kanu Joins IPOB Members For Biafra Anniversary In London. Photos / Abba Yusuf Wins At Supreme Court As Ibrahim Little Loses Appeal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.