Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,443 members, 7,830,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

Can You Legally Be An Atheist Here? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Legally Be An Atheist Here? (268 Views)

If There Was Really A Single Atheist Here: apt. / Any Atheist Here? / Any Previous Atheist Here Who Is Now A Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Legally Be An Atheist Here? by aisha1314(f): 3:54pm On Sep 10, 2022
Is it illegal to be a free thinker or atheist in Nigeria? I heard that people who are known atheists can be imprisoned and sentenced to death.
Re: Can You Legally Be An Atheist Here? by budaatum: 3:57pm On Sep 10, 2022
aisha1314:
Is it illegal to be a free thinker or atheist in Nigeria? I heard that people who are known atheists can be imprisoned and sentenced to death.

You "heard" where?

Post a source here so I can hear for myself "that people who are known atheists can be imprisoned and sentenced to death in Nigeria".
Re: Can You Legally Be An Atheist Here? by FERNANDEZISBACK: 4:57pm On Sep 10, 2022
Are you scared of coming out as an atheist?
I don't think Nigeria has such rigid law.
Re: Can You Legally Be An Atheist Here? by Wilgrea7(m): 5:45pm On Sep 10, 2022
aisha1314:

Well, yes and no.

If you come out as an atheist, you're sure to get several weird looks here and there, and a possibly a couple of insults, depending on the environment. That's about it.

Criticizing religion, on the other hand, is a different case entirely. Choosing to openly criticize religion in Nigeria could get you ostracized, attacked, imprisoned, and even possibly killed. It also depends on the region you are, and the religion you choose to criticize.

For example, criticizing Islam in the north, can send you to the afterlife (if there is one), since a lot of the radical fundamentalists there feel the need to fight for their imaginary sky daddy.

In the south, you may get attacked, both verbally and physically, but I doubt you'll get arrested for it. I wouldn't recommend either.

Sure, you can come out as an atheist... but choosing to openly criticize religion is another story entirely. I've said it before, that a belief in a God, or lack thereof, is not worth losing your life over.
Re: Can You Legally Be An Atheist Here? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:56pm On Sep 10, 2022
aisha1314:
Speaking out is the problem not what you have in your head!

For instance, imagine yourself in the midst of political thugs chanting praises of their choice of politician is it wise to speak against their candidate at that point in time?
The same goes with religion, it's unwise to say anything against the god some people have lived all their lives to worship at the time they're angry.
The one and only religion that has what it takes to withstand any form of criticism teaches adherents to walked away peacefully whether you welcome their idea or criticize them! Matthew 10:13-15; Luke 9:56-60 smiley

2 Likes

Re: Can You Legally Be An Atheist Here? by OgaNightmare(m): 7:19pm On Sep 10, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:
Are you scared of coming out as an atheist?
I don't think Nigeria has such rigid law.
I missed your comments
Where have you been?
And what of your partner in crime Datboredberry?
Re: Can You Legally Be An Atheist Here? by OgaNightmare(m): 7:20pm On Sep 10, 2022
The bullsh!t in Religion turned many young men to atheists.
I almost became one at some point...........
Re: Can You Legally Be An Atheist Here? by FERNANDEZISBACK: 7:23pm On Sep 10, 2022
OgaNightmare:

I missed your comments
Where have you been?
And what of your partner in crime Datboredberry?
She deactivated.. cry
I just hope she's ok..
How are you?
Re: Can You Legally Be An Atheist Here? by OgaNightmare(m): 7:25pm On Sep 10, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

She deactivated.. cry
I just hope she's ok..
How are you?
I'm fine cool
Re: Can You Legally Be An Atheist Here? by FERNANDEZISBACK: 7:27pm On Sep 10, 2022
OgaNightmare:

I'm fine cool
Nice..you look good in your shades.. grin wink
Re: Can You Legally Be An Atheist Here? by OgaNightmare(m): 7:33pm On Sep 10, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Nice..you look good in your shades.. grin wink
Damn! you really funny grin grin grin
Actually worn by an emoji, to be precise grin

(1) (Reply)

Unravelled Mystery: Worshipping Our CREATOR Is The Greatest Privilege for Humans / JUST IN: Popular Islamic Cleric, Sheikh Idris Alatanda, Dies [PHOTOS] / JuDGE fOR yOURselves..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.