Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,877 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Honest Question To The Christians - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Honest Question To The Christians (7937 Views)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: It's Not Trump That They Hate, It's You, The Christians / Who Are The Christians? Where Is The Love?: My Experience. / Why Are The Christians On Nairaland So Afraid Of Atheists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Tamaratonye1(f): 1:28am On Sep 21, 2022
TenQ:

Can you please show the Evidence to prove that conscience EVOLVED and from what?

LOL!
Broom DM, 2006
Alchin D, 2009

Peer-reviewed for your reading pleasure.

2 Likes

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Tamaratonye1(f): 1:29am On Sep 21, 2022
TenQ:

Every moral law of God has and will be violated by man.
Even as a Christian, we many times violate God's laws!
Not much use then, are they, that they're so consistently violated. Why do you suppose that is? Lack of enforcement? Oh, there's threat of retribution, but no follow through. Adherence to biblical moral injunctions is strictly voluntary. And therefore seldom complied with.

Whether religious mores are subjective or objective or purple or brittle is utterly irrelevant. What does work? Adherence to a rule of law - that is enforced. The rules of law that function best are the ones that grant no exceptions for social standing, wealth, or other favoritisms. You know - they're fair, and fairly applied. Included in the body of law are laws that forbid so called "taking the law into one's own hands". Enforcement is restricted to enforcement agencies erected for that purpose.

Do these function perfectly? Of course not. There's corruption, incompetence and favoritism enough to keep the TV and movie and novel business flourishing at Fortune 500 levels. But is it any use, with all its flaws? Absolutely. There's no threat of retribution, there's actual retribution. And it's generally fair.

Finally, most crucially, the architecture of law is built to accommodate change, as the social zeitgeist shifts. Racism, sexism, and all the ancient hobgoblins of our prehistoric savageness are gradually falling away - and via legislative process, getting peeled out of law. That is something totally alien to the religious striving to uphold its primitive savageries 2000 years or more obsolete.

Now, all of that being said, I wasn't talking about god or religion when I asked that question. I asked for one single objective moral. You're just dodging. Either put up or stop the draft wafting from your cake hole.

3 Likes

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by chryssanthe(f): 1:36am On Sep 21, 2022
midnight378:

LOL
No one has to show you that .
"Conscience" is nothing but "learned behaviors", (which as you were told yesterday even by all the major religious groups, is "formed" by environment) and you have no evidence there is anything called "conscience" other than learned behaviors and learned standards .
Can you please take Anthropology 101 and actually learn the BASICS of how cultures teach their children about what are proper behaviors for their members. Can you also describe for us what allowed your god-given consciences to permit child sacrifice in the many cultures that practiced it .
You're not really this stupid are you ?

Tenq can't take Anthropology 101. Tenq is "self educated", meaning Tenq will only read what Tenq has already concluded from the beginning.
Re: Honest Question To The Christians by chryssanthe(f): 5:02am On Sep 21, 2022
TenQ:

Is your argument that complexity is not relative!?

Research of early earth shows that RNA was simple and not complex. It was very, very, very, very, very simple. Strands of nucleotides that could catalyze themselves and were sucessful and worked. It was a natural process. DNA changed over time. It did not take a god to do this. DNA does this today when it mutates.
When those strands became important there was an advantage in keeping them the same from generation to generation. RNA and DNA became more complex over 3.7 billion years.
Today's DNA has evolved through trial and errors. A god was unnecessary.

The DNA you see today is not what it was billions of years. There were trillions of step taken through natural selection and environmental pressure to get to this point.
The ridiculous part of this thread is that I am not an expert. This is just basic stuff.

Go read a book, my dear!

1 Like

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by midnight378: 5:05am On Sep 21, 2022
TenQ:

Is your argument that complexity is not relative!?

if that bullshit is true, the water molecule is "complex".
H2O is 100 % more complex than H2 and oxygen.
Are you on drugs ?

1 Like

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Tamaratonye1(f): 4:42pm On Sep 21, 2022
SCIENTISTS CREATE MATTER FROM NOTHING IN GROUNDBREAKING EXPERIMENT

There are many theories on how to create matter from nothing – especially as quantum physicists have tried to better understand the Big Bang and what could have caused it. We know that colliding two particles in empty space can sometimes cause additional particles to emerge. There are even theories that a strong enough electromagnetic field could create matter and antimatter out of nothing itself.

But, managing to do any of these things has always seemed impossible. Still, that hasn’t stopped scientists from trying, and now, that research seems to have paid off. As Big Think reports, in early 2022, a group of researchers created strong enough electric fields in their laboratory to level the unique properties of a material known as graphene.

With these fields, the researchers were able to enable the spontaneous creation of particle-antiparticle pairs from nothing at all. This proved that creating matter from nothing is indeed possible, a theory first proposed by Julian Schwinger, one of the founders of quantum field theory. And with that knowledge, we can hopefully better understand how the universe makes something from nothing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by afficionado7: 12:10am On Sep 26, 2022
Tamaratonye1:
At your discretion -

You awaken tomorrow to find headlines around the world: Science has definitively proven that no god exists - anywhere in the universe. All the religious leaders concur.

How would your life be different?

Would you lose your job?

What is it that a god adds that cannot be lived without?

I'm an agnostic with a bias for philosophical taoism, although my belief or unbelief is always in flux- I'm constantly learning. So this question doesn't apply to me.

What I've deduced though is that belief in a god is a crutch, much like using drugs, or being an alcoholic. It serves an emotional purpose for the theist, and that's why even the most intelligent individuals can be fervent adherents. It's an emotional salve.

PS: OP I salute your clarity of expression. You have a way with words.

2 Likes

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Endtimer: 8:51pm On Sep 28, 2022
Tamaratonye1:

Okay. Then presumably you can demonstrate that objective morals would not exist in the absence of God. If you have and I missed it, please link me.

This much is self-evident or properly basic. I’ll have to redirect that back to you and ask that you explain how objective morals can exist authoritatively without God.
Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Endtimer: 8:55pm On Sep 28, 2022
Tamaratonye1:

This is chronic with respect to your posts. Everyone but you doesn't get it. An objective observer might suggest you get a mirror.

People allegedly responding to my posts are sure they understand me and I’ve taken the liberty to clarify whatever misconceptions they have concerning what I’ve said and encourage them to actually refute me instead of their straw men. I suppose you would prefer I let them misinterpret me.

It’s good to see that behavior-wise, you guys are no different from any group of people. You act and respond like anyone would when deeply held, ego-invested beliefs are challenged. Great to observe human nature triumph.
Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Endtimer: 9:05pm On Sep 28, 2022
Tamaratonye1:

And yet that's what we've been doing ever since we stopped letting the churches write our laws.

So what? What you’re saying is that most people do what everyone else does. What I’m saying is that it isn’t warranted whether or not the people in question are aware.

You are simply saying that in the absence of your hypothetical church-laws, people (due to ignorance) would continue to act properly. I’m asking why they should. Saying that they ignorantly will is a cop-out. I’ll restate the question: if God doesn’t exist, why should anyone do the right thing?

Hopefully, you won’t say, “because we’ll throw them in jail otherwise”. The question would become: why should we throw them in jail? If you say, “because killing people (as an example) is wrong”; the question becomes: why is it wrong? If you say, “it just is”; the question becomes: why? That’s enough prediction from me, but just in case you say that we just know what is good and what isn’t you’d have created the basis for rationalization of whatever anyone does based on their subjective knowledge of good and bad.

Hopefully you see why I have to continue explaining myself.
Re: Honest Question To The Christians by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:04am On Sep 29, 2022
Tamaratonye1:

And all scientists unanimously agreed that there is no God, shey?

Funny atheist! grin
Re: Honest Question To The Christians by midnight378: 10:43pm On Sep 30, 2022
Endtimer:

So what? What you’re saying is that most people do what everyone else does. What I’m saying is that it isn’t warranted whether or not the people in question are aware.

You are simply saying that in the absence of your hypothetical church-laws, people (due to ignorance) would continue to act properly. I’m asking why they should. Saying that they ignorantly will is a cop-out. I’ll restate the question: if God doesn’t exist, why should anyone do the right thing?

Hopefully, you won’t say, “because we’ll throw them in jail otherwise”. The question would become: why should we throw them in jail? If you say, “because killing people (as an example) is wrong”; the question becomes: why is it wrong? If you say, “it just is”; the question becomes: why? That’s enough prediction from me, but just in case you say that we just know what is good and what isn’t you’d have created the basis for rationalization of whatever anyone does based on their subjective knowledge of good and bad.

such ignorant tripe / bullshit.
So you want your prize candy sucker from your Jesus for "doing the right thing". you have never told us how you determine what is "proper".....
You keep saying that doing the right thing , (there is NO single "right thing" which is why adult organizations have ethics committees ) is not warranted without a god .
What god are you talking about ? the gods that humans had to sacrifice their babies to obtain their favor ? What is it about the gods that make morality "warranted" ... exactly.
so ... you're saying that there being gods makes morality "warranted", and self-evident, but .... the gods themselves are not self-evident.
LMAO.

Killing people is wrong for a number of reasons (I see you still haven't taken Anthro 101), including the fact that YOU would not want to be killed .
are you lacking empathy ? are you a pathological personality with no empathy ? even rats have empathy ... you keep asserting morality is unwarranted with no gods ,
yet you have even ONCE attempted to tell us why that is. People in a society believe in all sorts of gods . Could you provide us a list of your "approved" gods which make morality warranted ?

Sorry we suggested you're 13.
You are 12, right ?

4 Likes

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Near1: 11:02pm On Sep 30, 2022
Endtimer:

This much is self-evident or properly basic.

No, it isn't. You'll actually have to demonstrate your point with reasoning or evidence.

3 Likes

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by chryssanthe(f): 11:34pm On Sep 30, 2022
Endtimer:

This much is self-evident or properly basic. I’ll have to redirect that back to you and ask that you explain how objective morals can exist authoritatively without God.

Morals change from century to century and from culture to culture. Two thousand years ago slavery was a common and normal part of society, so common that it's included in the Bible......yes, that book written by people who claimed to have a direct line of communication with their god.
Stoning adulterous women or disobedient children was considered ok to do. If anyone did this today they'd be convicted of murder or attempted murder and sent to prison. That's because morals have changed and evolved in Western societies.

Muslims STILL stone adulterous women even though they believe in the same Abrahamic god that the Christians and Jews believe in... so that should tell you a little bit about the how flexable morals are and how widely they are interpreted from one culture to another.
If morals are driven exclusivly by Yahweh then he's either an asshole or doesn't exist.
And isn't it curious that every holy book around the world reflects exactly the very morals of the time period and culture in which they are written?

2 Likes

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Dtruthspeaker: 6:04am On Oct 01, 2022
chryssanthe:

Morals change from century to century and from culture to culture. .

Morals do not change. It is the people who change by disobeying the morals as they exercise their power to obey and disobey.

Bet you never heard this statement of Law (Morals)

"A crime does not cease to be a crime simply because it's offenders have increased" eg like the crime of adultery.
Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Dtruthspeaker: 6:19am On Oct 01, 2022
Tamaratonye1:

NOW THIS IS NOT TRUE! YOUR SCIENTISTS FIRST USED A THING! grin

See your report

As Big Think reports, in early 2022, a group of researchers created strong enough electric fields in their laboratory to level the unique properties of a material known as graphene.

Surely, generating "strong electric fields" is the use of many things eg Nepa erm electricity supplied by the Power Company, a Laboratory, a room in the laboratory, Air-conditioners and climate controls etc and all these things are Some Things Laid on Some One else's ground or Land (They did not make their own Land or bring their own land as they were born).

So they used things to create other things as is normal.

Thus, they are lying and you are helping them to spread the Lie.

O Lord please let this game be over! Let the Final Whistle Trumpet blow!
Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Tamaratonye1(f): 6:34am On Oct 01, 2022
Double post
Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Tamaratonye1(f): 6:34am On Oct 01, 2022
Endtimer:

Same as with God, it's just a necessary part of existence. And you've skipped a step, as you haven't shown objective morals exist even with God. Saying that something is "self-evident" or "properly basic" is not an answer. Try again, only not so lazy this time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Tamaratonye1(f): 6:42am On Oct 01, 2022
Endtimer:

You are simply saying that in the absence of your hypothetical church-laws, people (due to ignorance) would continue to act properly. I’m asking why they should. Saying that they ignorantly will is a cop-out.
I’ll restate the question: if God doesn’t exist, why should anyone do the right thing?

Because. We. Want. To.

It's called empathy. Its exact origins are unknown but it exists in many species, not just in humans. My guess is that it's partially derived from early childhood socialization, partially from evolution. TL;DR version: If you don't care about others they won't go out of their way to assist you, and this decreases your survival prospects.

I'm happy when others are safe, happy and have their basic needs taken care of. I'm unhappy when others are hungry, homeless, injured or in mortal danger. It really is that simple, Endtimer.

21 years ago a bunch of Saudi Arabians, acting on instructions from god, flew 3 hijacked airliners full of passengers into large buildings full of occupants, and would have done the same with a 4th airliner but were overpowered by a bunch of people who had different ideas about what constituted "the right thing".

I suspect you might say those Saudi Arabians were taking instructions from the wrong god. Yet, compared to your god, the god that issued those instructions was relatively merciful in that the suffering inflicted was far less than the suffering inflicted on innocents in the bible.

The fact that you can't comprehend why someone would act "rightly" unless prodded by some god makes you a menace, and someone who should not be allowed to roam freely at large in society. You have no restraints, and will willingly and perhaps even joyfully shoot up a saloon, or burn down a clinic, or commit some heinous piece of mayhem because you think your god has instructed you to do so, exactly as this god of yours has instructed others to do.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Tamaratonye1(f): 6:49am On Oct 01, 2022
afficionado7:

I'm an agnostic with a bias for philosophical taoism, although my belief or unbelief is always in flux- I'm constantly learning. So this question doesn't apply to me.

What I've deduced though is that belief in a god is a crutch, much like using drugs, or being an alcoholic. It serves an emotional purpose for the theist, and that's why even the most intelligent individuals can be fervent adherents. It's an emotional salve.

PS: OP I salute your clarity of expression. You have a way with words.
Thanks afficionado7
Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Tamaratonye1(f): 7:03am On Oct 01, 2022
Concerning the "Something from Nothing" canard, this is a much better article to refer to: 70-year-old quantum prediction comes true, as something is created from nothing

Now, I should have clarified this earlier when I posted the initial article. Please make no mistake, the claim that something emerged from "nothing" isn't simply misleading, it's as wrong as it's possible to get. What's going on here is called the Schwinger Effect, and it involves the production of electron-positron pairs in absurdly powerful electrical fields. Those are electrical fields so intense that we simply can't produce them. You'd need something like a neutron star for those types of energies. The particles being produced are NOT being produced from nothing. The energy needed to create them is drawn from the electrical field in accordance with Einstein's famous equation. So cool beans, energy is being converted into matter, but something is not coming from nothing.

In this case the researchers didn't even do that. They didn't produce particle-antiparticle pairs because, as mentioned, that takes Earth-shattering amounts of energy. Literally. What they observed was the spontaneous production of electrons and electron holes in doped graphene sheets under electrical fields that, while intense, can be generated relatively simply in most physics labs. They didn't actually produce any particles, they just induced quantum tunnelling of electrons between adjacent graphene sheets. That isn't to belittle their work. It's an elegant analogue of the Schwinger effect using practical energies that must have taken some serious skull sweat to figure out. Impressive, given that it was predicted that we'd never observe this effect at all.

By contrast, the pop sci writers who have misinterpreted and misrepresented their work should have their teeth filed off on concrete for their crimes against rational thought, basic decency, and scientific literacy in general.

6 Likes

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Dtruthspeaker: 8:41am On Oct 01, 2022
Tamaratonye1:
Concerning the "Something from Nothing" canard, this is a much better article to refer to: ...

Now, I should have clarified this earlier when I posted the initial article. Please make no mistake, the claim that something emerged from "nothing" isn't simply misleading, [b]it's as wrong as it's possible to get
. What's going on here is called the Schwinger Effect, and it involves the production of electron-... The particles being produced are NOT being produced from nothing...

So now this just proves that the scientists DID NOTcreate matter from nothing in groundbreaking experiment, but from many things. aka Something!
Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Dtruthspeaker: 8:50am On Oct 01, 2022
Tamaratonye1:

Not much use then, are they, that they're so consistently violated. Why do you suppose that is? Lack of enforcement? Oh, there's threat of retribution, but no follow through.

There is follow through, but because God's Methods is not like you and all men's own which speedily attack breaches because you are weak and have expiration dates, you are not able to understand plus of course, you know that with each passing day a crime is left unpunished, so does the punishment (interest) for that crime also increase with the passage of time.

Which is why you are complaining about a follow through.

Tamaratonye1:

Adherence to biblical moral injunctions is strictly voluntary. And therefore seldom complied with.

Which is the value of a human being over a robot.

And the value of Reward. Good reward for the good doing and bad reward for the bad doing.
Re: Honest Question To The Christians by triplechoice(m): 8:56am On Oct 01, 2022
Tamaratonye1:
Concerning the "Something from Nothing" canard, this is a much better article to refer to: 70-year-old quantum prediction comes true, as something is created from nothing

Now, I should have clarified this earlier when I posted the initial article. Please make no mistake, the claim that something emerged from "nothing" isn't simply misleading, it's as wrong as it's possible to get. What's going on here is called the Schwinger Effect, and it involves the production of electron-positron pairs in absurdly powerful electrical fields. Those are electrical fields so intense that we simply can't produce them. You'd need something like a neutron star for those types of energies. The particles being produced are NOT being produced from nothing. The energy needed to create them is drawn from the electrical field in accordance with Einstein's famous equation. So cool beans, energy is being converted into matter, but something is not coming from nothing.

In this case the researchers didn't even do that. They didn't produce particle-antiparticle pairs because, as mentioned, that takes Earth-shattering amounts of energy. Literally. What they observed was the spontaneous production of electrons and electron holes in doped graphene sheets under electrical fields that, while intense, can be generated relatively simply in most physics labs. They didn't actually produce any particles, they just induced quantum tunnelling of electrons between adjacent graphene sheets. That isn't to belittle their work. It's an elegant analogue of the Schwinger effect using practical energies that must have taken some serious skull sweat to figure out. Impressive, given that it was predicted that we'd never observe this effect at all.

By contrast, the pop sci writers who have misinterpreted and misrepresented their work should have their teeth filed off on concrete for their crimes against rational thought, basic decency, and scientific literacy in general.

Good you came yourself to correct the wrong impression created by the article.
I took my time to read it over and over again to be sure I wasn't missing something.

And each time I finished reading, I kept asking myself how did matter came from nothing in the experiment?. Nothing like that.

From what I understand, the experiment was to demonstrate that matter is coalesced energy. That's is surely not something from nothing

The idea that matter is coalesced energy is nothing new. Those who hold on to the tenets of higher consciousness, true spirituality, not rellgion, have always insisted that matter is coalesced spirit, energy.

So nothing new here. But good scientist are now attempting to demonstrate this so we can have a better understanding of how the solid universe was "created" from "nothing" , energy.
Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Endtimer: 5:42pm On Oct 01, 2022
Tamaratonye1:

Because. We. Want. To.

It's called empathy. Its exact origins are unknown but it exists in many species, not just in humans. My guess is that it's partially derived from early childhood socialization, partially from evolution. TL;DR version: If you don't care about others they won't go out of their way to assist you, and this decreases your survival prospects.

I'm happy when others are safe, happy and have their basic needs taken care of. I'm unhappy when others are hungry, homeless, injured or in mortal danger. It really is that simple, Endtimer.

21 years ago a bunch of Saudi Arabians, acting on instructions from god, flew 3 hijacked airliners full of passengers into large buildings full of occupants, and would have done the same with a 4th airliner but were overpowered by a bunch of people who had different ideas about what constituted "the right thing".

I suspect you might say those Saudi Arabians were taking instructions from the wrong god. Yet, compared to your god, the god that issued those instructions was relatively merciful in that the suffering inflicted was far less than the suffering inflicted on innocents in the bible.

The fact that you can't comprehend why someone would act "rightly" unless prodded by some god makes you a menace, and someone who should not be allowed to roam freely at large in society. You have no restraints, and will willingly and perhaps even joyfully shoot up a saloon, or burn down a clinic, or commit some heinous piece of mayhem because you think your god has instructed you to do so, exactly as this god of yours has instructed others to do.

Since I've come to understand your point, I can't say this discussion has been fruitless; painful perhaps, but far from fruitless. I'll use your post to illustrate something to someone who thinks. Wilgrea7, this woman has demonstrated exactly what we've been talking about for a while now, so I'm going to demonstrate the untenability of Godless morality using her ideas as a foil. That way something sensible can result from my interaction with her and perhaps objective third parties can come to see what I'm talking about.

She starts her reply by indicating that morality is sourced from individual wants. She quickly refutes herself, but I'll stick to debunking her claims for now (you might want to read the quoted text in its entirety for context). If morals really did come from what people want, then the Holocaust would certainly be the greatest moral accomplishment in the history of the world as it fulfilled Hitler's desires admirably.

She undoes herself by following her first point with a short paragraph where she struggles to demonstrate innate human goodness through evolutionary appeal. I'm not one to reference Richard Dawkins but she might want to read The Selfish Gene. Contrary to her Powerpuff Girls influenced fantasy, humans are demonstrably bad. We've been at war throughout our existence and when we take time off from that, it's to enjoy the spoils of battles won: captive women, slaves, stolen goods and property. If her argument here is that we naturally manifest (what her Christianity-influenced mind considers) moral sentiment it is only because we live in a civilization only 3% as old as the time we've spent on this earth. Furthermore, her point about survival being contingent on empathy is as ludicrous as it is absurd. Empathy is hardly an important trait in determining the survival of a species; not to mention that survival cannot be seen as determinant of morality because it often involves killing (another thing most Christian-influenced atheist minds consider bad). If that was the case anything required for survival (essentially doing your part in perpetuating your genetic heritage) would be moral. Things like killing, stealing, rape, theft, and most of the other things constitutions ban would be alright depending on the situation.

Next, is another short paragraph where she states that her happiness about the wellbeing of others is enough to bring about morality. If people should do good things only because they make us happy, then the same can be said about bad things. No sensible person can honestly believe this (as we'll see at the end of her post). Once again she fails to grasp that some people do not think like she does and solipsistically declares that people will be good little boys and behave in the absence of objective morals because it makes her happy to see others happy. It also made Nazis happy to throw people in gas chambers and Bin Laden happy when the second plane hit the building. Furthermore, no adult should believe that goodness is contingent on our happiness because happiness is a flimsy emotion. One moment we wish to be alone in the world and the next to be surrounded by friends and family. Emotional transience would render all morals super-arbitrary as they not only change when one person's happiness fades but were never even in place as different people are made happy by different things. Some people would be happy if we all died so they could claim our land.

She says something about Saudi's.

Then, she assumes the ironic position of the holier-than-thou atheist by borrowing my morals and attacking me for believing in a God that commands the "suffering of innocents"; all this despite having stated her disbelief in objective morality elsewhere. How can I be bad, if good and bad are matters of personal taste. Isn't that just her isolated, valueless opinion.

Finally, she proves my point by accusing me of evil and demanding my immediate arrest and imprisonment without the possibility of bail and without a fair trial, all because I, the Christian, am a mass shooter and arsonist (I'm as shocked as you are, as I was just informed). Her last paragraph is proof of what I've been saying all along: she wants me locked up for not believing what she believes. The significance of this is that atheist morality is dependent on personal opinion. Our laws are codified morals and would-be tyrants would have me (and all other believers) locked up for believing a logically unassailable position (moral contingence on deity). Ironically, from her post history she feels oppressed as an atheist in Nigeria, but finds it within herself to call for the arrest of someone for believing in God. I'm curious as to whose morals would inevitably lead to totalitarianism as they aren't morals at all; just what she woke up feeling.

Sorry for the long text. I'm tired so I'll post my proposed solution to Christian antinomianism some other day. Happy independence.
Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Judas1X: 5:43pm On Oct 01, 2022
grin cheesy grin DMumuSpeaker at it again. Let us see what pitiful arguments this poor retárd has struggled to muster up this time cheesy cheesy

Dtruthspeaker:

Morals do not change. It is the people who change by disobeying the morals as they exercise their power to obey and disobey.

grin Hahahahahahahaha. After scraping the walls of your thick skull, all you came out with is an argument as weak as your Papa's penile efforts cheesy

Oponu. Ode jatijati. You are not an authority on this discussion grin. Your baseless claims have no weight on the truth scale no matter how many times you regurgitate it.

"A crime does not cease to be a crime simply because it's offenders have increased" eg like the crime of adultery.

grin grin Chai. How utterly ignorant of you. This doesn't in any way lead to the conclusion that morals do not change over time, only that the number of offenders is not directly related to morals. Lol, is this best you could come up with? grin Damn, this is serious. Hope they aren't other rétards spawned by your low hygiene mother, we should get her labias sewn up before she drops another bastard like you on us. grin grin

Both morals and laws (which are not interchangeable) change, and it's actually a good thing they do. We don't always have great laws, and we don't always know the full extent of an act of moral import. On top of that, our circumstances change.

You are just an ignorant dullard who doesn't want to accept that he is out of his depth on this particular topic. You are just here shovelling steaming heaps of bullshit from the chief priest of your church all over the place. No original thought at all, grammatical word choices and phrasings of an adolescent (at best), and the self-righteousness of a 6 year old who thinks he has a crushing argument. Product of an Absentee father, perhaps? Or your mother just went on a banging spree without even exchanging first names? grin Takes failures to produce your type, seriously. cheesy grin cheesy grin grin grin

School no gree you go. Na ontop Nairaland you dey waste your uneventful life. At your age, the high points of your pathetic life is licking the decayed ass of a dead Jew. And you need anyone to tell you you were raised by two idiots who f.ucked like wild rabbits and never prioritised your upbringing? grin grin

Shame you no get. Pride: zero. Human dignity: zero. Self-respect: zero. grin cheesy You go to bed every night sucking the dick of a Jewish corpse in your dreams. cheesy grin cheesy

Non slave ownership is on the increase I believe. Then again, that was never a crime according to morons like you. cheesy

Brain-damaged corpse-worshipping goblin.

2 Likes

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Judas1X: 5:45pm On Oct 01, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

There is follow through, but because God's Methods is not like you and all men's own which speedily attack breaches because you are weak and have expiration dates, you are not able to understand plus of course, you know that with each passing day a crime is left unpunished, so does the punishment (interest) for that crime also increase with the passage of time.

Which is why you are complaining about a follow through.

Which is the value of a human being over a robot.

And the value of Reward. Good reward for the good doing and bad reward for the bad doing.

The above is nothing more than the incoherent mumblings of a glorified illiterate. You don't even know how to use ordinary grammar in your posts. You make confused arguments, shifting position like a rookie courtesan doing porn rehearsals. grin grin

Your opening paragraph could be construed to mean that the 115 year old grandpa who stole goat meat at age 5 and was never punished for the crime accrued 110 years of punishment "interest" until the punishment was death, and, at age 115, is finally dealt his just meals. But you surely didn't mean that. Or maybe you did, because we all know how warped and distorted your worldview is. grin

You missed your English class half the time your grandpa was chasing your mom out to go look for the aimless bottom dog who popped her up cheesy. This is what happens when your mother's Vjay has got more piercings than a needle cushion. cheesy grin If your mum wasn't a greedy tárrt, she would have stuck to anal and save us all from witnessing the replica of your father's inferior DNA and stall the pollution of the cyber environment with an unwanted child left to street-feed. grin grin grin

DMumuSpeaker please, the next time you want to prepare word salads, at least have the courtesy to put some dressing on it so we don't choke on its dry blandness.

Mentally inhibited gorilla grin grin

1 Like

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by midnight378: 6:26pm On Oct 01, 2022
Endtimer:

Since I've come to understand your point, I can't say this discussion has been fruitless; painful perhaps, but far from fruitless. I'll use your post to illustrate something to someone who thinks. Wilgrea7, this woman has demonstrated exactly what we've been talking about for a while now, so I'm going to demonstrate the untenability of Godless morality using her ideas as a foil. That way something sensible can result from my interaction with her and perhaps objective third parties can come to see what I'm talking about.

She starts her reply by indicating that morality is sourced from individual wants. She quickly refutes herself, but I'll stick to debunking her claims for now (you might want to read the quoted text in its entirety for context). If morals really did come from what people want, then the Holocaust would certainly be the greatest moral accomplishment in the history of the world as it fulfilled Hitler's desires admirably.

She undoes herself by following her first point with a short paragraph where she struggles to demonstrate innate human goodness through evolutionary appeal. I'm not one to reference Richard Dawkins but she might want to read The Selfish Gene. Contrary to her Powerpuff Girls influenced fantasy, humans are demonstrably bad. We've been at war throughout our existence and when we take time off from that, it's to enjoy the spoils of battles won: captive women, slaves, stolen goods and property. If her argument here is that we naturally manifest (what her Christianity-influenced mind considers) moral sentiment it is only because we live in a civilization only 3% as old as the time we've spent on this earth. Furthermore, her point about survival being contingent on empathy is as ludicrous as it is absurd. Empathy is hardly an important trait in determining the survival of a species; not to mention that survival cannot be seen as determinant of morality because it often involves killing (another thing most Christian-influenced atheist minds consider bad). If that was the case anything required for survival (essentially doing your part in perpetuating your genetic heritage) would be moral. Things like killing, stealing, rape, theft, and most of the other things constitutions ban would be alright depending on the situation.

Next, is another short paragraph where she states that her happiness about the wellbeing of others is enough to bring about morality. If people should do good things only because they make us happy, then the same can be said about bad things. No sensible person can honestly believe this (as we'll see at the end of her post). Once again she fails to grasp that some people do not think like she does and solipsistically declares that people will be good little boys and behave in the absence of objective morals because it makes her happy to see others happy. It also made Nazis happy to throw people in gas chambers and Bin Laden happy when the second plane hit the building. Furthermore, no adult should believe that goodness is contingent on our happiness because happiness is a flimsy emotion. One moment we wish to be alone in the world and the next to be surrounded by friends and family. Emotional transience would render all morals super-arbitrary as they not only change when one person's happiness fades but were never even in place as different people are made happy by different things. Some people would be happy if we all died so they could claim our land.

Then, she assumes the ironic position of the holier-than-thou atheist by borrowing my morals and attacking me for believing in a God that commands the "suffering of innocents"; all this despite having stated her disbelief in objective morality elsewhere. How can I be bad, if good and bad are matters of personal taste. Isn't that just her isolated, valueless opinion.

Finally, she proves my point by accusing me of evil and demanding my immediate arrest and imprisonment without the possibility of bail and without a fair trial, all because I, the Christian, am a mass shooter and arsonist (I'm as shocked as you are, as I was just informed). Her last paragraph is proof of what I've been saying all along: she wants me locked up for not believing what she believes. The significance of this is that atheist morality is dependent on personal opinion. Our laws are codified morals and would-be tyrants would have me (and all other believers) locked up for believing a logically unassailable position (moral contingence on deity). Ironically, from her post history she feels oppressed as an atheist in Nigeria, but finds it within herself to call for the arrest of someone for believing in God. I'm curious as to whose morals would inevitably lead to totalitarianism as they aren't morals at all; just what she woke up feeling.

Sorry for the long text. I'm tired so I'll post my proposed solution to Christian antinomianism some other day. Happy independence.

You forgot a couple things in this desperate attempt to obfuscate , diversion and hope we didn't notice you did not address the questions posed to you ........
What god are you talking about, (and BTW, prove it exists).
You still have not explained WHY you hold your position with respect to the gods and morality...... Hop to it.
You CLAIM that it's logically unassailable, but you have never even once presented the steps in the logic , AND you have not told us which system of logic you're using,... (along with the demonstration that particular logic applies to this situation/topic).
So, all this crap amount to is nothing, the same as "I know you are, but what am I".
Since you have demonstrated NOTHING logically, except to make a claim, you are dismissed.
Come back when you grow up , and after you go to school.

You CLAIM that morality is unwarranted without the gods.
You have never told us WHY ?
When you get big, and take Logic, you will learn you must PRESENT your premises, and only THEN, present your conclusion. You have never done that.
Your claim is so UNsound logically , it can be destroyed with 4 simple words. Guess what they are ?
You have been given numerous examples why a moral code IS warranted with the gods.
You have answered no example, directly.
Most of Sociology, Psychology, the law, Anthropology, common sense, etc etc disagrees with your minority claim.

Best of luck in your career as a troll.
you'll have to do better than this if you think anyone honest will take you seriously .

6 Likes

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by midnight378: 6:29pm On Oct 01, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Aren't you special. Quoting a moronic piece of tripe. Where do you get this garbage ?
A "crime" is the breaking of a LEGAL standard.
Adultery may or may not be a crime, depending on where you live.
It may or may not be considered immoral in the society where you live.
The laws any given society puts in place may or may not be in line with their morals, (which change all the time).
They are NOT the same. Was it "moral" for ancient Israelites to kill the babies/infants of their neighboring city states ?
I get that this seems to be a bit too complicated for you.
There are cultures, even today, where it is perfectly legal AND moral to have numerous wives. So much for adultery.

4 Likes

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by 1000WaysToLive(m): 6:56pm On Oct 01, 2022
A moral statement either is or is not true (can or cannot be true), no matter who utters it, or whether anyone is motivated or compelled to adhere to it.

You might not be accounting for the difference between metaethical statements, and statements of practical motivation..and, similarly, between descriptive subjectivity or relativity and metaethical relativity and subjectivity.

Adding or removing gods does not alter or effect any objective metaethical conclusion. It can..however, alter descriptively subjective or relative moral conclusions.

Would you -like- to understand these things? So that you might, for example, understand why an atheist might adhere to an objective moral sytem..and why..for example, your system of favor seeking is not a moral system at all..objective or otherwise?

The short version of a long story, is that moral realism or objectivism is so incredibly simple and intuitive to us, and we're so completely dedicated to acting it out all day every day, that it's surprises me when the faithful or the faithless fail to understand it (regardless of whether they agree with it).

If we understand badness to have -anything- to do with harm, for example, then the statement x is bad purports to report a fact about that act - not about someone's motivation, or some gods decrees.

It either does or does not cause the specified harm. That's it, that's all.

You might notice that god based moralities hijack this? That it's insisted by the faithful that there is some specific harm to the bad x's - the problem being how often they either fail to report facts accurately..or, indeed, invent non facts whole cloth.

You might not think that your god or your religion does that, but I assume you're at least vaguely aware of when other god based..supposedly moral..supposedly objective...systems do so?

You might also notice (either in your own or others) that gods are said to dislike things or make prohibitions against things with no moral import whatsoever. Items like ritual construction and purity. Dietary restrictions?

Now, to sum it all up..it actually would be a pretty safe bet that a person who genuinely believes that that no moral statement has any objective warrant is sick, and prone to do terrible shit - but, in mere reality..no one believes you when you say this. They think that you're adding dishonesty to ignorance.

Would that be bad..do you think? Howsabout your god? Got a position on dishonesty? Your comments themselves are evidence of your compulsion to do so...so, it seems like we have a little microcosm for testing all your questions about objectivity, warrant, motivation, and it's relationship to the real or hypothetical divine...just in that.

Endtimer:

4 Likes

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by Tamaratonye1(f): 8:29pm On Oct 01, 2022
Endtimer:

I'm a bit tied up, so I'll whip up a relatively short rebuttal to this cute little spiel here. I might add more when I've got more time to spare.

Meta-ethical frameworks based in naturalism may stretch the boundaries of what is commonly conceived of as ethics, but then so does error theory, and even divine command theory has its issues. The nutshell version is that no specific meta-ethical position has been demonstrated to be necessarily inconsistent with ethics and morals as they exist in the real world. As always, it's useful to keep the Duhem-Quine thesis in mind, to wit, any system can be made consistent in its major premises by an adjustment of its minor or tertiary premises.

As a consequence, where you end up on morals depends to a large extent upon where you began, being limited more by the assumptions you conceive as reasonable in the beginning than any of the chess moves that you make further down the line. You have certain requirements and propositions that you hold true, some of which, if questioned, lead to other equitably reasonable meta-ethical stances. That you are unwilling to enlarge your mind to entertain the larger domain of meta-ethics, and not just solely with regard to naturalism, is a you problem, not a me problem, or a them problem, lol.

I was going to post a variant of the trolley problem meme attached just below, but am limited in my tools atm, so I'll just describe it. Instead of the trolley being diverted to either a single person or multiple persons, it would include a third path that runs headlong into a church. "Problem solved!", lol

3 Likes

Re: Honest Question To The Christians by FemiAjani(m): 8:48pm On Oct 01, 2022
Endtimer:

People behave decent because we are a social animal that lives in groups, and the welfare of the group is very important to us. When no one murders others etc., we are all much safer. We also innately enjoy helping others. No one needs to tell us that. People who don't have these types of emotions are disordered. Social animals take good care of their own. Look at how wolves travel. The sick and the old go first, so they set the pace for the group so they don't get left behind. Then comes a group of animals in their prime to protect the first group and take on any dangers. Then comes the general group, and the rear is brought up by the best who watch over the whole group. They take good care of each other. Every example of social animal takes care of its group. Why would we be any different?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (22) (Reply)

Is It Right To Say BLESS GOD? / Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? / A Reply To Pastor Ayilara On RCCG Bible College From a Graduate of RCBC.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 212
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.