Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Tech Is The New "Oil" Money - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tech Is The New "Oil" Money (34840 Views)

Baking As The New Oil Money / Tech Is The New Gold, Don't Sleep On It!! / Founder Of Mums In Tech Is A Big Name In The UK, But Her Story Started In Yaba A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Threesha(f): 5:05am On Sep 23, 2022
Stephengee4all:
Another oil money in tech is SOFTWARE TESTING. This pays like tomorrow no de, it's only few know about this
Would you mind teaching?
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by tafat: 5:29am On Sep 23, 2022
True that, technology is becoming something else entirely, one I really love is the anifast technology from Oraimo that ensures fast charge for any of their gadgets.

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by stone2x: 5:43am On Sep 23, 2022
qanda:
HOW I SWITCHED CAREER TO SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT AND SECURED A FOREIGN REMOTE JOB.
…..After 8 Years Telecoms Engineering Career.

It is often said that Tech is the new oil and the future of work. The interest in a tech career has reached new heights in recent times due to the exciting opportunity of living in Nigeria and earning in foreign currency via remote work. As exciting as a remote job is, it takes determination to secure one. Here is an account of my transition to tech and remote work.

Upon graduation as an Electrical Engineer, my ambition was to practice my engineering craft in a multinational oil and gas or telecommunication firm. My career dream was fulfilled as I got employed by one of the Nigerian GSM operators shortly after graduation.

I had an engaging career as a telecoms engineer, but I needed more fulfilment and a better career prospect. I met a software developer at a friend’s wedding who enlightened me about his job and spoke about the prospects and financial gain. After meeting with the developer, I resolved to learn to code.

I started learning java using E-books. A notable E-book I used was: Java for dummies by Wiley Brand. It took a lot of effort and practice to grasp the OOP concepts. Several months into learning java, I decided to enrol for the Oracle Certified Associate Java Professional (OCAJP) exam to validate my skills. Preparations for the exam, lead to more research on java and a deep dive into algorithms. I wrote the Java exam in July 2015 and passed.

I took a break from coding for two years to focus on a master's degree. I however resumed and decided to learn android development after I connected with a senior android developer, who later became my mentor. I used the Newboston tutorial on youtube to learn android development. My experience in Java made it easier to learn android. However, I encountered a lot of brick walls along the way and I had to consult my senior android developer mentor. There were several times I almost gave up after encountering challenges, but I somehow managed to pull through. I did all my training while maintaining a full-time job as a telecoms engineer. I had to study and code in very uncomfortable and extreme conditions even while on active work responsibilities.

I needed to validate my skills with android projects and I needed a backend for the project. So I picked up PHP/MYSQL training. I went ahead to build the frontend and backend of a fully functional android app and hosted it on the google play store. Building a fully functional portfolio app was an integral part of my learning, as I had to learn several concepts, frameworks and best practices along the way.

In 2019, I decided to make a career switch to full-time software development. It was a very daunting task as all my over eight years of work experience was in telecoms engineering. It was difficult to prove that I had experience in software development even despite having a portfolio of a functional app. I kept applying for jobs for up to 2 years. While at it, I was taking up app development gigs. I wrote several tests and had several interviews until I finally got a job offer in 2021 with a Nigerian tech start-up. Job search could be very draining, but my advice to job seekers is never to give up. Keep honing your skills, take feedback from the interview process, and invest in constant CV review.

After working in the Nigerian startup for about 6 months, I decided to attempt the big one, which is a foreign remote Job. With my now relevant over 6 months full-time experience, I reshaped my CV and managed to present 5 years’ experience by framing my side gigs into experience. Getting a remote job is even more difficult than a local job, as you are competing with nationals from all over the world for the same opportunity. My focus was on android development and the recruitment process usually involved algorithm test and building a live project. I used LinkedIn a lot for my applications by setting notifications for android developer roles. I had several reject messages and frustration was setting in until I finally landed my first remote Job in April 2022.

The remote working experience is the dream of every software developer. It is a very herculean task and takes a lot of persistence and constant honing of your craft. It is however easier to get another remote job after the first. I am on my second remote job at the time of writing this article.

My advice to newbies in tech are as follows:

Read the full article and engage the author at the job test section (general subcategory) of Q and A App.

Install Q and A App on Playstore
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tolu.qanda

How you make a career switch to become a software developer is so encouraging, I startee learning Java, please can you assist with the book Java for Dummies and I would appreciate it if you can be my mentor.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by God2man2again(m): 6:34am On Sep 23, 2022
In as much I concur but the people making millions on tech seemed to be scammers

2 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by virginboy1(m): 6:44am On Sep 23, 2022
kenny714433:
shocked

My little experience in tech space has made me realise it's the big deal.

So I went out to learn Data Analysis to up my skills, I am now good in excel and Power BI. I haven't made any money from Data Analysis yet but I'm still working on getting there.

What I need now is a mentor in the field who can show me the way. In case there's anyone willing to help, I'm a fast learner and you won't regret having me.

Meanwhile, the money my classmates have made from 3D animation, I don't think I have seen any government worker earning like that. Just his PC costs him almost 2 million. He owns 2 luxury cars with his own duplex. And a young guy of 25yrs at most....
Modified: Any tech guy that works for Nigerian firm is either ignorant or plain stupid. So the issue of underpayment is out of it.
Thanks for this insightful message.

I also want to go into data analysis.
I am currently learning power BI visualisation.

But please, what are things things in excel and Power BI. One must know to an extent
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by folake4u(f): 6:47am On Sep 23, 2022
LienwaltAbel:

What's even worse is that most of them are script kiddies who have little to no idea on how shit really works. They just have their mouths plugged into the asses of big corporations, happily swallowing whatever crap they churn out in the name of frameworks and scripts. I'm not being condescending to y'all, but come on, let's be factual. If most of the companies that y'all are working cared about nicely optimised and fast code, most of y'all won't have jobs.

Very very true. I dey tire for some of them abeg.
Twitter NG isn't even helping matters also.

1 Like

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by geniusjames(m): 7:43am On Sep 23, 2022
Kizzygentle:
Actually... I need to learn this.. Please I am in my mid 30s and is it possible to learn and earn from it decently? Were do I start from as a total beginner? Can I also learn from YouTube and how long will it take me if I am very serious about it?

Yes brother, it is possible. I am in tech myself though I just clocked 30. Nobody asks you how young or old you are. Also, rarely do they ask for academic qualifications. What they mostly interested in is your skill, and how good you are with your skills.

1 Like

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by akwesenana: 8:07am On Sep 23, 2022
stone2x:

How you make a career switch to become a software developer is so encouraging, I startee learning Java, please can you assist with the book Java for Dummies and I would appreciate it if you can be my mentor.
Go to PDF drive dot com.

Search for it.

2 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Hassanmaye(m): 8:21am On Sep 23, 2022
viodemus:
Use 2 years to learn C, C++, maybe C#, and javascript. With these, you can transfer it to your other skills.

With these, you can build many applications.

Some years ago, I didn't know any coding, I thought it was too late, but today I dey a little over mediocre level.

Let's not get it confused, computer tech is cool but it is not all and all.

Is it a guarantee I will be getting 4k each day in my account??
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by iamwebguru: 9:27am On Sep 23, 2022
Transitioning into tech is one step at a time, you need to start from somewhere and later move to another.

But the most important thing is when you start from somewhere you already had the technical background.

If you're really serious and you know what you're doing, have prepared a basic web design course for total beginners.

This course will take you from beginner level to become a professional website designer in 4 weeks for free?

This is absolutely insane. You’ll never see anything like this anywhere in the world.

Having a relevant skill will always put you miles ahead of people who don’t.

Imagine learning a skill like website design. You can live in Auchi and your skill will be useful to companies in Australia and Canada.

That’s because such skills are borderless. You can apply them in any part of the world and make good money.

You can work from anywhere and never have to worry about waking up early to prepare for work or get stressed out by traffic.

With such relevant skills, you can live anywhere in Nigeria and earn good money in dollars because you offered your skill to a company in Mexico.

I understand that learning how to build a website may be expensive, but what if you can learn from one of the very best at a super affordable rate?

For free you can become a professional website designer in less than 4 weeks.

This detailed video course will hold your hand and teach you everything you need to know step-by-step about designing quality websites.

In this course, you will learn how to design quality and excellent websites from start to finish.

All for free.

This offer will only be available for a limited time.

So if I were you, I’ll grab the offer right away with both hands.

Get started by clicking on this link https://learndigitalskillz.com/wd-course-optin
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Flamemignon1(m): 9:43am On Sep 23, 2022
Nechy45:
Can a non-science student get into tech? This tech is truly doing wonders
Anybody can get into anything with the right Investment

1 Like

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Kizzygentle: 9:55am On Sep 23, 2022
geniusjames:

Yes brother, it is possible. I am in tech myself though I just clocked 30. Nobody asks you how young or old you are. Also, rarely do they ask for academic qualifications. What they mostly interested in is your skill, and how good you are with your skills.
What part of tech are you and are u earning from it too?
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by pocohantas(f): 9:56am On Sep 23, 2022
Tecks10:

Hi Poco!
Please what tech skill can I learn with a smartphone, because getting a laptop is not so feasible for me as I am still a struggling student.
Please an answer will be well appreciated. Thank you!

None that I know of. smiley
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by ChristineDavies: 10:01am On Sep 23, 2022
Are you interested in Webinars on Finance and Leadership, Educational Retreats, Live-in-Person Coaching, Library of Education and Exclusive Certified Courses and earning alongside? Then this is for youhttps://youtu.be/CadYdlNOEtE
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by LienwaltAbel(m): 10:07am On Sep 23, 2022
Tecks10:

Hi Poco!
Please what tech skill can I learn with a smartphone, because getting a laptop is not so feasible for me as I am still a struggling student.
Please an answer will be well appreciated. Thank you!
You can learn bash scripting, C, a bit of Linux system administration, C++, python, Golang, Perl, PHP, Lua etc. Download termux and learn. You can even learn those bogus overbloated frameworks like Django.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by oluuae: 10:32am On Sep 23, 2022
Learn AWS, Azure, Google Cloud. This is why Tech is the new oil money. Look at some contract jobs below.

Title: DevOps Engineer

Mode: Contract

Rate: 550 GBP/Day

Job Description:

DevOps is a culture, approach and set of practices of applying lean process improvement and automation to enable a flow of working software to its real users. This means looking across organization functions of Development and Operations that might previously have operated as separate silos. This person should create the ability to put the code into an operational state as quickly and easily as possible.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DEVOPS ENGINEER - SC & NPPV3 CLEARED

BRAND NEW CONTRACT OPPORTUNITY AVAILABLE WITH A CLIENT IN LONDON FOR A DEVOPS ENGINEER WITH SC & NPPV3 CLEARANCE
• Contract opportunity for a DevOps Engineer
• London based client
• SC & NPPV3 Clearance is essential
• Experience working with the UK Government
• 6 month rolling contract
• Day rate up to £750pd
• To apply please call or email

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
• Kubernetes Infrastructure
• Private Cloud/ Bare Metal experience
• Infrastructure as Code with Terraform
• Working with Virtual Machines (VMware)
• Working in a Linux environment - they use Ubuntu
• CI/CD and GitOps exposure (Nice to have)
• Scripting in: Python, Bash etc.

This is a long-term project, 12 months initially with the view to extend. The team are working remotely from the UK and the day rate on offer is between £750 - £850 per day (Inside IR35). If you are interested, please apply to this position with an up-to-date copy of your CV
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DevOps is a high paying job. DevSecOps is a higher paying job. Application security pays a lot. The reason I mentioned AWS, Azure is because everything that has to do with IT is somehow connected to the cloud. Cloud computing is very important. Don't put your self under any pressure. Learn AWS.....take your time. Learn DevOps and get a good job when you have mastered the skills. There are a lot of remote jobs online but note, any job related to security, you may have to be in the country.
You can learn free online and also pay as low as 3,200 naira to buy a course on udemy. Youtube videos can teach you. A lot of jobs online.
If you need advice on how to start, I don't mind telling you.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by oluuae: 10:42am On Sep 23, 2022
(3 hours ago )Contractor This job was posted 3 hours ago. Before the end of today, over 5 of these jobs would be posted.

Contract Azure DevOps Engineer

6 months contract/Inside IR35

Leeds/Hybrid working (1-2 per month)

£550-£650/day

Fruition IT are recruiting a Contract Azure DevOps Engineer for a market leading Consumer business based in Leeds.

Experience/Essential Skills
• Strong Knowledge of Azure
• Azure Pipelines
• Terraform (AzureRM)
• Automating
• Monitoring
• Building new cloud patterns
• improving resilience and performance

To apply for this contract Azure DevOps Engineer, please send your CV for consideration.

We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by KayCee92(m): 11:19am On Sep 23, 2022
Gourdoinc:
there is no much future in tech like you presume. the next 30 years will show that. if you are wise and want relevance, always stick to anything human-centric. technology changes, humans never change. health will continue to worsen as we move into the future, go and get involved in health related domains with a focus on mitigation and care and you will have a future everyone will envy. leave the Fad called tech, it doesn't hold as much water as people ascribe it.

This is not also certain not to change. Tech will influence what is relevant in this sector in the future. It already doing that.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by techstack: 11:34am On Sep 23, 2022
Edipet:
I have 3 option for laptop
1) i3, 5th gen _ lenovo, thinkpad e450 but has a weak battery..100k. no keyboard light...ram 4gb
2) i5, 6th gen...dell latitude e5470, weak battery.might not last 2hr. 130k, with keyboard light...ram 8gb
3) i3, 6th gen, hp probook, battery upto 3hrs. With keyboard light...130k..ram 4gb
Which one would you choose please

You didnt tell about the hard disk

But will go for the 2nd one. You are going to be using tools that will eat up your computer resources.

The least of my system is with 12g ram and hard disk is ssd
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by viodemus: 1:13pm On Sep 23, 2022
Hassanmaye:

Is it a guarantee I will be getting 4k each day in my account??

lol. chairman you funny o.

It depends on your vision and drive.

Anything can happen.

1 Like

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by dunsin125: 2:07pm On Sep 23, 2022
wwwtortoise:
Tech will do to conventional jobs what electronic mail did to the post office

My journey into Data Analytics has been insightful and a blessing.

Tech Trivias!

The Firefox logo isn't a fox.

Motorola produced the first handheld mobile phone.

Apple were originally designing an apple shaped flip phone.

Nokia used to sell toilet paper.

Now you know. cool

I've started learning Data Analysis but I don't know the way forward, can you share some ideas?
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by wwwtortoise(m): 4:19pm On Sep 23, 2022
wwwtortoise:

Good to know.

Start from the basics - excel (from beginner—> advanced level).

SQL
PYTHON (and other libraries- Numpy, Matplotlib, pandas)

PowerQuery (for data analysis)
PowerBI/ Tableau (for dynamic dashboard & data visualization).

I’ll recommend you master excel first then cover the rest (in no particular order).

Then practice, practice and practice.

Goodluck.

dunsin125:
I've started learning Data Analysis but I don't know the way forward, can you share some ideas?
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by jeffmatt4u(m): 5:14pm On Sep 23, 2022
Tech(IT) is good for a career change if you are determined to. I won't sound like a motivational speaker who will only lure you in with the sweet profit of the venture with letting you know the rough and stormy road to attain this.
The trend now is that everyone wants to switch to tech and IT related field which undoubtedly is good for our nation and Africa as a whole. Money in tech is very juicy and mind blowing but are you ready and willing to take the road and commitment involved?(ponder on this)
This is the same advice i was given before i started about 2 months ago.

I am currently learning web development and i must confess, it's not a bed of roses. it needs comittment, dedication and most importantly motivating yourself.
Forget learn this or that in 3months bla bla, it's only used to lure those with the mindset to make quick money in tech. Any skill you intend to learn needs time and lots of practice to master.
As for me at the moment, I have done HTML, CSS , and now on Javascript. I am not rushing but taking it gradually, spending at least 5 hours daily on my laptop learning and practicing with w3schools.
The truth is that many will give up along the line but i hope they don't. just ginger yourself when it starts choking you.
Join a group that do similar thing as you, just like I join a web development group on Facebook and getting assistance from fellow Nigerians, and Americans and of course Indians( they top the tech world). What i am trying to say is that joining the right group will help you in your journey.
God help us so that we don't give up.
And don't listen to those discouraging you from trying. GOOD LUCK
(get the message and forget the Grammar or errors. LOL)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by luvlyoracle(m): 5:22pm On Sep 23, 2022
Anyone into cybersecurity??

Lets link up and rub minds.

Thank You.

1 Like

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Asquare84(m): 9:01pm On Sep 23, 2022
aliyuthayo:

Abuja and Ilorin

I am in Abuja, can we meet
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Tecks10: 9:20pm On Sep 23, 2022
LienwaltAbel:

You can learn bash scripting, C, a bit of Linux system administration, C++, python, Golang, Perl, PHP, Lua etc. Download termux and learn. You can even learn those bogus overbloated frameworks like Django.
Thank you so much.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Tecks10: 9:22pm On Sep 23, 2022
pocohantas:

None that I know of. smiley
All right. Thank you.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by dunsin125: 12:44pm On Sep 24, 2022
wwwtortoise:

Thank you.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Asquare84(m): 12:52pm On Sep 24, 2022
aliyuthayo:

Sure! It's better to book an appointments ahead your coming

That good, you can chat me 08065686136

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Boss Calls Me All The Time. / Man Dies In Enugu As Foundation At A Construction Site Collapses On Him (Graphic / Lady Who Rehabilitated A Destitute Losses Her Job, See Her Reaction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.