Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

Tech Is The New "Oil" Money - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tech Is The New "Oil" Money (34675 Views)

Baking As The New Oil Money / Tech Is The New Gold, Don't Sleep On It!! / Founder Of Mums In Tech Is A Big Name In The UK, But Her Story Started In Yaba A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by nasiest(m): 7:17pm On Sep 22, 2022
That's another reason why people find software engineering difficult. Making people commits more hours every week will even discourage people from continuing with the program. Trust me before the year runs out many learners would have left the program. Best of luck.
ExtremeDot:

Research on ALX SE programme.

Alx trains Africans free of charge in software engineering. The programme runs for 12 months. You would need at least, 60 to 70 Hours of engagement every week to do well in the programme.

You don't even need prior knowledge of coding to start.

Their next session is starting early November.
Their class is fully online; YouTube, Slack, GitHub.

But that shit no easy at all.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Odunharry(m): 7:25pm On Sep 22, 2022
JoshTim:
Any body with a YouTube link for good excel for data analysis video. Please please.
Type data analytics on YouTube.. You can start with excel and power bi.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by greenmouse(m): 7:30pm On Sep 22, 2022
Get in touch with us for the right training and advice on the best Tech career to invest in.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Yoighaman(m): 7:40pm On Sep 22, 2022
qanda:
HOW I SWITCHED CAREER TO SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT AND SECURED A FOREIGN REMOTE JOB.
…..After 8 Years Telecoms Engineering Career.

It is often said that Tech is the new oil and the future of work. The interest in a tech career has reached new heights in recent times due to the exciting opportunity of living in Nigeria and earning in foreign currency via remote work. As exciting as a remote job is, it takes determination to secure one. Here is an account of my transition to tech and remote work.

Upon graduation as an Electrical Engineer, my ambition was to practice my engineering craft in a multinational oil and gas or telecommunication firm. My career dream was fulfilled as I got employed by one of the Nigerian GSM operators shortly after graduation.

I had an engaging career as a telecoms engineer, but I needed more fulfilment and a better career prospect. I met a software developer at a friend’s wedding who enlightened me about his job and spoke about the prospects and financial gain. After meeting with the developer, I resolved to learn to code.

I started learning java using E-books. A notable E-book I used was: Java for dummies by Wiley Brand. It took a lot of effort and practice to grasp the OOP concepts. Several months into learning java, I decided to enrol for the Oracle Certified Associate Java Professional (OCAJP) exam to validate my skills. Preparations for the exam, lead to more research on java and a deep dive into algorithms. I wrote the Java exam in July 2015 and passed.

I took a break from coding for two years to focus on a master's degree. I however resumed and decided to learn android development after I connected with a senior android developer, who later became my mentor. I used the Newboston tutorial on youtube to learn android development. My experience in Java made it easier to learn android. However, I encountered a lot of brick walls along the way and I had to consult my senior android developer mentor. There were several times I almost gave up after encountering challenges, but I somehow managed to pull through. I did all my training while maintaining a full-time job as a telecoms engineer. I had to study and code in very uncomfortable and extreme conditions even while on active work responsibilities.

I needed to validate my skills with android projects and I needed a backend for the project. So I picked up PHP/MYSQL training. I went ahead to build the frontend and backend of a fully functional android app and hosted it on the google play store. Building a fully functional portfolio app was an integral part of my learning, as I had to learn several concepts, frameworks and best practices along the way.

In 2019, I decided to make a career switch to full-time software development. It was a very daunting task as all my over eight years of work experience was in telecoms engineering. It was difficult to prove that I had experience in software development even despite having a portfolio of a functional app. I kept applying for jobs for up to 2 years. While at it, I was taking up app development gigs. I wrote several tests and had several interviews until I finally got a job offer in 2021 with a Nigerian tech start-up. Job search could be very draining, but my advice to job seekers is never to give up. Keep honing your skills, take feedback from the interview process, and invest in constant CV review.

After working in the Nigerian startup for about 6 months, I decided to attempt the big one, which is a foreign remote Job. With my now relevant over 6 months full-time experience, I reshaped my CV and managed to present 5 years’ experience by framing my side gigs into experience. Getting a remote job is even more difficult than a local job, as you are competing with nationals from all over the world for the same opportunity. My focus was on android development and the recruitment process usually involved algorithm test and building a live project. I used LinkedIn a lot for my applications by setting notifications for android developer roles. I had several reject messages and frustration was setting in until I finally landed my first remote Job in April 2022.

The remote working experience is the dream of every software developer. It is a very herculean task and takes a lot of persistence and constant honing of your craft. It is however easier to get another remote job after the first. I am on my second remote job at the time of writing this article.

My advice to newbies in tech are as follows:

Read the full article and engage the author at the job test section (general subcategory) of Q and A App.

Install Q and A App on Playstore
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tolu.qanda

Best wishes bro.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by sweetguy10(m): 7:55pm On Sep 22, 2022
DeOTR:

With your experience, 3 years in Java and .NET (is that not what you meant by Core?), you're good to go with Turing and/or Crossover.
Their screening processes can be difficult, but you can always reapply after failing an attempt.

Crossover screening is too tedious. No .NET is not core java. It is a framework
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Stephengee4all(m): 8:06pm On Sep 22, 2022
Another oil money in tech is SOFTWARE TESTING. This pays like tomorrow no de, it's only few know about this

3 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by fnep2smooth(m): 8:12pm On Sep 22, 2022
siofra:

Free?
Nope

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by TopNotchdecor(m): 8:31pm On Sep 22, 2022
wwwtortoise:

Thanks
Nice !

Suffice to say while at it endeavor to put in more time for practice because it will sharpen you and draw new perspectives from what you already know.

The world of data is dynamic and ever evolving.

Good luck.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Love800(m): 8:56pm On Sep 22, 2022
Fhhhjjjj
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Kendroid: 9:01pm On Sep 22, 2022
TechGallery:
This is nothing but the truth. It takes consistent learning and persistent self building before you hammer. Unfortunately, many give up too early. I got two foreign jobs this year and everything changed suddenly after 4 years of coding for local coys. Nothing like earning in dollars while in 9ja. cool
Don't give up if you choose the path.
Pls which Tech skill are u into?
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by OmejeGuy: 9:21pm On Sep 22, 2022
TechGallery:
This is nothing but the truth. It takes consistent learning and persistent self building before you hammer. Unfortunately, many give up too early. I got two foreign jobs this year and everything changed suddenly after 4 years of coding for local coys. Nothing like earning in dollars while in 9ja. cool

Please how do you setup your dollar account and do you always have to patronise BDC for conversion? Thanks
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by utepu: 9:43pm On Sep 22, 2022
Following
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Niswayne19: 9:47pm On Sep 22, 2022
There is money in tech.
Buy the newly launched AniFast power bank and get free earphones. It is available on oraimo website from 22nd to 25th of September.

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Hope88: 10:01pm On Sep 22, 2022
TechGallery:
boss, can.we talk.on.whatsapp, i need guidiance please, i.will mail u
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by AutoRedux: 10:19pm On Sep 22, 2022
Man is steady cashing out.

Made 800k+ last month.

As the op said, tech is truly the new oil money.

Let no one tell you otherwise. cool

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by hardon1(m): 10:37pm On Sep 22, 2022
Poster never test oil money grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by virginboy1(m): 10:40pm On Sep 22, 2022
TechGallery:
Thanks for this advise.

I just wanna dive into data analysis. Any idea about it sir?
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by OperationalVehi: 10:44pm On Sep 22, 2022
following
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by OperationalVehi: 10:45pm On Sep 22, 2022
AutoRedux:

Made 800k+ last month.

dont give me fish, please teach me how to fish
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Edipet(m): 10:55pm On Sep 22, 2022
techstack:
I can testify to that. I have one remote tech job and one naija tech job

Earning in Dollars is sweet.

Start learning with us at

https://hubtolearn.com

Start with HTML and CSS
Then JavaScript

We can also mentor you
I have 3 option for laptop
1) i3, 5th gen _ lenovo, thinkpad e450 but has a weak battery..100k. no keyboard light...ram 4gb
2) i5, 6th gen...dell latitude e5470, weak battery.might not last 2hr. 130k, with keyboard light...ram 8gb
3) i3, 6th gen, hp probook, battery upto 3hrs. With keyboard light...130k..ram 4gb
Which one would you choose please
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by marv1: 10:59pm On Sep 22, 2022
Bro I dey here . I am interested

hapholaby:

Feel free to reach out to me for mentor-ship
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Zanzibar1: 11:01pm On Sep 22, 2022
active1
techoil
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by marv1: 11:02pm On Sep 22, 2022
Stephengee4all:
Another oil money in tech is SOFTWARE TESTING. This pays like tomorrow no de, it's only few know about this

More info on this .

What about the training
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by marv1: 11:04pm On Sep 22, 2022
AutoRedux:

Made 800k+ last month.

More info please
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by AutoRedux: 11:18pm On Sep 22, 2022
marv1:

More info please

I work as a freelancer.
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Tecks10: 12:17am On Sep 23, 2022
pocohantas:
Don’t allow anyone pressure you into tech if you don’t have the passion for it.

Personally what I do is encourage people to have soft skills that can make them work in the remote space. The secret is to earn in FCY.

$10/hr for a full-time job would automatically make you a millionaire in Naira.

Don’t go and start what you can’t finish o.
Hi Poco!
Please what tech skill can I learn with a smartphone, because getting a laptop is not so feasible for me as I am still a struggling student.
Please an answer will be well appreciated. Thank you!
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by DeOTR: 2:52am On Sep 23, 2022
nasiest:
Yes fullstack and the language is javascript from frontend (React) and Backend (NodeJs). The secret is knowing what you need to build a website or web app. You're welcome to join again because we are a community of experienced software developers and there is always someone to guide you every step of the way. We give tasks every week and every student will build an application at the end of the training so it is not your regular paid courses where you just watch videos without getting your hands dirty. We are using the agile methodology approach which is what is obtainable in the industry currently.
I'm familiar with this kind of training. I attended one myself, but not a 3-month ish.
Daily stand ups, agile workshops, weekly tasks, assessments and algorithms, and capstone project at the end of the training.
We were not taught just how to code, but how to do it well. Data structure is not even something you can master in 3 months.

1 Like

Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by phemmyfour: 4:26am On Sep 23, 2022
patthebulb:
In the same way that oil boomed in the 19th century, tech jobs are booming today.

We're talking about a $4 trillion industry with over 50% growth expected between 2020 and 2025. And guess what? It's not just about coding. Tech jobs are everywhere—from software development to user experience design and project management.

This means there will be plenty of opportunities for people who want to start their career in this field.

But where do you start? What steps should you take? How do you get a job in tech?

Keep this thread active for answers to all these questions
maybe abroad, it doesn't boom here
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Threesha(f): 4:59am On Sep 23, 2022
I am opening a telegram channel of people interested in tech

Send me a DM
Re: Tech Is The New "Oil" Money by Threesha(f): 5:04am On Sep 23, 2022
nasiest:
He can't learn from youtube. They are only scratching the surface there and marketing their company. Get a proper training. Dm me for details so you wouldn't make the same mistakes I made when I started learning.
How long did it take you to learn it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Lawal Ibrahim-Temitope Blind Lawyer Called To Bar And Honoured With An Award / N-power Beneficiaries Threaten To Go On Strike Over Non-Payment Of Allowances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.