Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,665 members, 7,820,338 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names (2462 Views)

Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction / What Bonny And Opobo People Say About Who They Are. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by AlexBells(m): 9:43am On Sep 23, 2022
GreatBoss:
Jaja Nwachukwu is not from Opobo but have Jaja as part of his name.
But they showed you a priest from Opobo who bears Igbo name, Igbos in mainland can still name their child after king Jaja maybe sort of honour

1 Like

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by AlexBells(m): 9:44am On Sep 23, 2022
GreatBoss:
Im Ijaw and all those images are fake names created by Igbos.
Their mother tongue is also fake language right

2 Likes

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by riverbird: 10:12am On Sep 23, 2022
AlexBells:

There's nothing lazy here, all I see is honour, I don't even see the People defending Opobo as Ijaw as lazy neither do I see us Igbo defebding both Opobo and Bonny as lazy but very honourable people whom I respect because they are defending what they believe in but the truth is that both Igbos and Ijaws have valid history and reasons with this two towns, so either we settle amicably or we die honourably, whichever way no option is ruled out

Oga die your die honorably no one send you.
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by techWriter3: 12:18pm On Sep 23, 2022
This very nice, those fellas should Bring and explain this one,
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by AlexBells(m): 12:59pm On Sep 23, 2022
riverbird:

Oga die your die honorably no one send you.
My honour, my life, posterity shall remember, I'm not here to be appreciated by simpleton and mediocre, you can chose to live your life and die of old age with no name, I shall die of greatness
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by riverbird: 1:09pm On Sep 23, 2022
AlexBells:

My honour, my life, posterity shall remember, I'm not here to be appreciated by simpleton and mediocre, you can chose to live your life and die of old age with no name, I shall die of greatness

Your business....... selah......
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by CaptainAyub: 1:37pm On Sep 23, 2022
GreatBoss:
Im Ijaw and all those images are fake names created by Igbos.
Ijaw from Oshogbo grin
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Arda1000(m): 2:46pm On Sep 23, 2022
I don’t know about Bonny but as for Opobo even those with Ijaw names are paternal Igbo meaning they are Igbo with Ijaw names….
Opobo is 100percent Igbo.
Ask most Opobo people where they are from they might say Ijaw but if u ask him where his grandfather that gave birth to father is from he will tell u his grandfather is Igbo.
There’s a hell lot of confusion there, most will tell am Igbo but by naturalization am Ijaw lol

2 Likes

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by AlexBells(m): 3:23pm On Sep 23, 2022
riverbird:

Your business....... selah......
You should have used that advice on yourself earlier and understand that what I do is absolutely my business

1 Like

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by riverbird: 8:22pm On Sep 23, 2022
AlexBells:

You should have used that advice on yourself earlier and understand that what I do is absolutely my business

Fighting or talking down on people that don't even know you not to talk of care about you is naturally built out of frustration......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by michelz: 9:08pm On Sep 23, 2022
GreatBoss:

Even the Bishop will tell you he is Ijaw if you ask him.
Yes, because 'Ijaw' is political coinage. Anybody can claim Ijaw these days if you live close to the river.
However, when you bear an Igbo name, practice Igbo culture and also speak Igbo, then you're surely Igbo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by AlexBells(m): 9:16pm On Sep 23, 2022
riverbird:

Fighting or talking down on people that don't even know you not to talk of care about you is naturally built out of frustration......
Frustration is human nature, whether they know me or will know me is none of your damn business
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by michelz: 9:17pm On Sep 23, 2022
Arda1000:
I don’t know about Bonny but as for Opobo even those with Ijaw names are paternal Igbo meaning they are Igbo with Ijaw names….
Opobo is 100percent Igbo.
Ask most Opobo people where they are from they might say Ijaw but if u ask him where his grandfather that gave birth to father is from he will tell u his grandfather is Igbo.
There’s a hell lot of confusion there, most will tell am Igbo but by naturalization am Ijaw lol
It's not much of a confusion.
The term 'Ijaw' these days, is a political construct, just like 'Niger Delta'.
When you find yourself living close to the river and you have oil, then you're definitely 'Ijaw'.
It doesn't really matter if you speak Izon or you practice their culture.
Look at GEJ from Ogbia. He is now a full fledged Ijaw man. Not minding the fact that Izon and Ogbia language are not mutually intelligible. They don't even marry themselves and have absolutely nothing in common.

2 Likes

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by riverbird: 9:27pm On Sep 23, 2022
AlexBells:

Frustration is human nature, whether they know me or will know me is none of your damn business

Ok remain in your frustration.....and keep fighting who no fight you.

1 Like

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by AlexBells(m): 11:12pm On Sep 23, 2022
riverbird:

Ok remain in your frustration.....and keep fighting who no fight you.
frustration is not not place that people can visit and remain in rather it is a wave like circumstances, so we are supposed to fight frustration by first fighting the things and people that induces it, such our fight is valid, you are the one wasting your time by talking where your opinions don't matter neither was it solicited
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:18am On Sep 24, 2022
Armaggedon:
Don't be shocked if the wife is also from opobo

Either Opobo or Azumini. Those two love inter-marrying.

Noticed the Bayelsa deputy governor likes wearing Ishiagu.
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Armaggedon: 10:12am On Sep 24, 2022
PROUDIGBO:

Either Opobo or Azumini. Those two love inter-marrying.

Noticed the Bayelsa deputy governor likes wearing Ishiagu.
yes, but on this occasion of the Bishop's sent forth from Bayelsa state, the Deputy gov who is urhobo by ethnicity apparently used Isiagu to honour the Bishop, while the Ijaw expansionist governor kept addressing the Bishop as Ijaw. No record of the Bishop acknowledging that there.

1 Like

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by GreatBoss: 10:44am On Sep 24, 2022
Armaggedon:
yes, but on this occasion of the Bishop's sent forth from Bayelsa state, the Deputy gov who is urhobo by ethnicity apparently used Isiagu to honour the Bishop, while the Ijaw expansionist governor kept addressing the Bishop as Ijaw. No record of the Bishop acknowledging that there.
The Deputy Governor of Bayelsa is from Ofoni. Ofoni is Ijaw town of Tarakiri Clan. If not, there is no way he could have been Deputy of Bayelsa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Arda1000(m): 1:41pm On Sep 24, 2022
michelz:

It's not much of a confusion.
The term 'Ijaw' these days, is a political construct, just like 'Niger Delta'.
When you find yourself living close to the river and you have oil, then you're definitely 'Ijaw'.
It doesn't really matter if you speak Izon or you practice their culture.
Look at GEJ from Ogbia. He is now a full fledged Ijaw man. Not minding the fact that Izon and Ogbia language are not mutually intelligible. They don't even marry themselves and have absolutely nothing in common.
u fully understood the situation on ground…
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Nobody: 1:55pm On Sep 24, 2022
SmartPolician:
Igbos should have some sellf-worth and not impose themselves on those who don't want to associate with them. Why is this so difficult?
IBO SELF WORTH IS SHOT. THIS OP CANNOT REASON THAT THIS IS CLEAR EVIDENCE TO THE WORLD OF IBO INSECURITY AND DEEP ROOTED INFIRIORITY COMPLEX. IBOS HAVE MADE THEMSELVES SO TOXIC, I MAKE BOLD TO SAY IBOS ARE THE LEAST DESIRABLE PEOPLE IN THE WHOLE OF THIS WIDE WORLD.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Christistruth00: 1:58pm On Sep 24, 2022
AlexBells:

Of course they are one Igbo people

Don’t impose yourself on other Ethnic groups

It is like Yorubas calling Benin Or Edos Yorubas

It is very disrespectful

Expect them to keep their distance from you

In the interest of Self Preservation

2 Likes

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by AlexBells(m): 2:00pm On Sep 24, 2022
Christistruth00:

Don’t impose yourself on other Ethnic groups

It is like Yorubas calling Benin Or Edos Yorubas

It is very disrespectful

Expect them to keep their distance from you
Benin is a distinct people, it is same as Yorubas calling Ilorin Yorubaland, you did not see me say that Ijaw is Igbo, I'm talking about Opobo and Bonny

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Christistruth00: 4:19pm On Sep 24, 2022
jerseyboy:

IBO SELF WORTH IS SHOT. THIS OP CANNOT REASON THAT THIS IS CLEAR EVIDENCE TO THE WORLD OF IBO INSECURITY AND DEEP ROOTED INFIRIORITY COMPLEX. IBOS HAVE MADE THEMSELVES SO TOXIC, I MAKE BOLD TO SAY IBOS ARE THE LEAST DESIRABLE PEOPLE IN THE WHOLE OF THIS WIDE WORLD.

That is not True

The Problem is that some very eminent Criminals

and Terrorists financed by Mkpuru Miri Drug Barons

have been trying to Seize Political Control

of the SE and in the Process have turned the Region

Into what can be best described as New Afghanistan

Gov Umahi,Uzodinma And Soludo have been fighting them

1 Like

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Christistruth00: 4:27pm On Sep 24, 2022
AlexBells:

Benin is a distinct people, it is same as Yorubas calling Ilorin Yorubaland, you did not see me say that Ijaw is Igbo, I'm talking about Opobo and Bonny

Ilorin is Yorubaland

The Yorubas at Ilorin defeated the Emir there in 1896

It was the British that reimposed another Emir on Ilorin to please the North

after Emir Momoh was defeated by his Yoruba Chiefs and Committed Suicide

Before then the Yorubas had already defeated the Jihadists at Ilorin Twice in battle

at Osogbo and at the Jalumi War and had already completely encircled Ilorin till this day
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by AlexBells(m): 4:29pm On Sep 24, 2022
Christistruth00:

Ilorin is Yorubaland

The Yorubas at Ilorin defeated the Emir there in 1896

It was the British that reimposed another Emir on Ilorin to please the North

after Emir Momoh was defeated by his Yoruba Chiefs and Committed Suicide
Now you see that I'm not judging you or saying that you claimed Fulani people as Yorubas so better mind your business lets mind ours
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Christistruth00: 4:35pm On Sep 24, 2022
AlexBells:

Now you see that I'm not judging you or saying that you claimed Fulani people as Yorubas so better mind your business lets mind ours

It is our business

Because in 1967 we thought it was not our Business

Until we heard that not only had Ojukwu taken Control of Benin and the Midwest

But his Army were at Ore heading for Lagos and wait for it ————-IBADAN

It was a Bridge that was blown up on Obasanjo’s orders that prevented the Biafran Army from reaching

Ibadan , the Biafran Army had fully occupied Wait for it ——————OKITIPUPA, and were less than 140 km

From Lagos, it was not a Joke

By the Time Ojukwu ‘s Biafran Army Withdrew about 100 Civilians had been killed

1 Like

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by EngrKemp: 4:42pm On Sep 24, 2022
AlexBells:

Please no "we" there speak for yourself, Opobo and Bonny People speak their mother tongue deal with it
Lies .. Greatboss speaks the truth.
Bonny and Opobo are ibani ijaw.
The Rev wife is Igbo and the Rev mom who brought him up is Igbo too.

So deal with it.
Okwuchi was his mom given name as an Igbo woman who trained up her child.

The Rev's dad is Opobo,an ibani ijaw man.

He is half ihaw,half Igbo.

Opobo and Bonny are not Igbo but ijaw

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by AlexBells(m): 4:43pm On Sep 24, 2022
Christistruth00:

It is our business

Because in 1967 we thought it was not our Business

Until we heard that not only had Ojukwu taken Control of Benin and the Midwest

But his Army were at Ore heading for Lagos and wait for it ————-IBADAN

It was a Bridge that was blown up on Obasanjo’s orders that prevented the Biafran Army from reaching

Ibadan , the Biafran Army had fully occupied Wait for it ——————OKITIPUPA

This is 2022 not 1967, I'm not Ojukwu, I don't quite believe in Biafra, I believe in AlaIgbo, no one is matching towards the west in case of war, we are staying and defending Igboland wgich includes Bonny and Opobo so that it, we have no issues with Yorubas whatsoever, the said Bonny and Opobo was in old east so this really shouldn't bother you
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Christistruth00: 4:45pm On Sep 24, 2022
EngrKemp:

Lies .. Greatboss speaks the truth.
Bonny and Opobo are ibani ijaw.
The Rev wife is Igbo and the Rev mom who brought him up is Igbo too.

So deal with it.
Okwuchi was his mom given name as an Igbo woman who trained up her child.

The Rev's dad is Opobo,an ibani ijaw man.

He is half ihaw,half Igbo.

Opobo and Bonny are not Igbo but ijaw

Just as I thought

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by EngrKemp: 4:50pm On Sep 24, 2022
michelz:

Yes, because 'Ijaw' is political coinage. Anybody can claim Ijaw these days if you live close to the river.
However, when you bear an Igbo name, practice Igbo culture and also speak Igbo, then you're surely Igbo.
No.. Igbo is a political coinage not ijaw...

Can u understand ebonyi speak there tongue except u r from there.

Ijaw is a whole lot of people spanning from cross river to Lagos,to Benin ,and other African countries living along Coastal areas..

Stop saying what u don't know... Land grabbers
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Christistruth00: 4:51pm On Sep 24, 2022
AlexBells:

This is 2022 not 1967, I'm not Ojukwu, I don't quite believe in Biafra, I believe in AlaIgbo, no one is matching towards the west in case of war, we are staying and defending Igboland wgich includes Bonny and Opobo so that it, we have no issues with Yorubas whatsoever, the said Bonny and Opobo was in old east so this really shouldn't bother you

AlexBells that was exactly what Ojukwu said in 1967

Ojukwu said he was only interested in Protecting the East

It didn’t Occur to him that the Non Igbos were mostly uninterested in Going with Biafra

and to top it up he took over the Midwest and tried to takeover the Western Region too

In a Classic Military Suprise attack by his Biafran Army

It was his example that Kanu who was Campaigning for Biafra then suddenly sent IPOB

to attack Lagos during Endsars was copying

The South South were the West’s allies in that War

Nigeria wouldn’t have won without them

So yes it is our Business

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by EngrKemp: 4:54pm On Sep 24, 2022
AlexBells:

Just leave those ones, they are always looking for anything to attack the Igbos when they suffer worse case, when we are done with Bonny and Opobo tgey would learn that being bold pay
U people can't even do any thing.

Don't even try a fight because u will not live to tell the story
In land mass, population, wealth / natural resources and water body, Niger delta of ijaw land is bigger than Igbo hinterland.

Only bayelsa and Rivers State alone combined is bigger that all 5 Igbo states.

Abeg shift....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Heavy Fire Outbreak Ongoing In Balogun Market Lagos / Obinna Nwosu: American Citizens Are Waiting To sue Tinubu For Drug Adiction. / Why Abuja Is Not Nigeria's Capital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.