Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,793 members, 7,820,786 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names (2464 Views)

Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction / What Bonny And Opobo People Say About Who They Are. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by michelz: 5:11pm On Sep 24, 2022
EngrKemp:

No.. Igbo is a political coinage not ijaw...

Can u understand ebonyi speak there tongue except u r from there.

Ijaw is a whole lot of people spanning from cross river to Lagos,to Benin ,and other African countries living along Coastal areas..

Stop saying what u don't know... Land grabbers
You're very ignorant and proud of it.
What is in your 'Ebonyi tongue' that can't be understood by every average Igbo man?
And your statement about Ijaw spanning from Africa to Asia, what's the important to this discourse?
Ignorant S.O.B.
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Rahkman: 5:14pm On Sep 24, 2022
SmartPolician:
Igbos should have some sellf-worth and not impose themselves on those who don't want to associate with them. Why is this so difficult?
I am not ibo but I feel if u want to disassociate urself from someone you should change ur names ur culture ur dressing ur language Nd everything or those people will continue to see you as part of them
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by AlexBells(m): 5:50pm On Sep 24, 2022
Christistruth00:

AlexBells that was exactly what Ojukwu said in 1967

Ojukwu said he was only interested in Protecting the East

It didn’t Occur to him that the Non Igbos were mostly uninterested in Going with Biafra

and to top it up he took over the Midwest and tried to takeover the Western Region too

In a Classic Military Suprise attack by his Biafran Army

It was his example that Kanu who was Campaigning for Biafra then suddenly sent IPOB

to attack Lagos during Endsars was copying

The South South were the West’s allies in that War

Nigeria wouldn’t have won without them

So yes it is our Business
There is big difference between propaganda and reality, I don't know about Kanu's methods or whether his motives is in line with attacking the west, however the Igbo nation has produced more notable personalities in Nigerian history than any other people, so you limit the models by weifh the Igbos can learn from only Ojukwu and Biafra is unfair, I'm from a Zik's school of thought and I idolise major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu.

Nzeogwu did advice Ojukwu that matching towards the West was a bad military decision rather it should be towards the North, today tge Igbo nation is not going to war with Nigeria I don't see it happening we only have issues in Bonny and Opobo. Would Yorubas allies with Ijaws to attack us, that's another issue and if I'm the commander or a leader in Igbo nation given such decisions of the Yorubas to join Ijaws.

We shall also form an Allaince with the Fulanis and equip them to attack you through Ilorin both us and you would be at war in the same time, if you attack us directly or send your men to fight in Opobo anf Bonny directly then we send ours to fight in Ilorin then Ibadan, in the event that we mean to attack Yorubaland, we shall come through the sea and land in Ondo and Lagos while we wait for you in PH, Opobo and other coastal Igbo areas, forget about land no side will make that decision to go through the land, for air, we shall have air Superiority over you cause we have more airline currently
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by EngrKemp: 7:25pm On Sep 24, 2022
michelz:

You're very ignorant and proud of it.
What is in your 'Ebonyi tongue' that can't be understood by every average Igbo man?
And your statement about Ijaw spanning from Africa to Asia, what's the important to this discourse?
Ignorant S.O.B.
Sorry , u are a super ignoramus...

Niger delta is bigger in land mass and population than all Igbo land.
Rivers State and bayelsa states combined is bigger than all Igbo states.

Dot
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by EngrKemp: 7:30pm On Sep 24, 2022
AlexBells:

Their mother tongue is also fake language right
The mother tongue is ibani ijaw and not Igbo.
Nobody speaks Igbo proudly..

U speak English and that does not make u an English man ..
Ibb speaks Hausa..if they ask u ,u will call him Hausa ..
But ibb is Nupe...
Igbo spoken is not the heritage..it's a language of trade and nothing more.

All the Opobo and Bonny people v told u point blank they r ibani and not Igbo.

Stop land grabbing..

There is no where in history where Igbo people of hinterlands has a business with the seas
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by EngrKemp: 7:34pm On Sep 24, 2022
Arda1000:
I don’t know about Bonny but as for Opobo even those with Ijaw names are paternal Igbo meaning they are Igbo with Ijaw names….
Opobo is 100percent Igbo.
Ask most Opobo people where they are from they might say Ijaw but if u ask him where his grandfather that gave birth to father is from he will tell u his grandfather is Igbo.
There’s a hell lot of confusion there, most will tell am Igbo but by naturalization am Ijaw lol
Lies .
Not true..
Opobo n Bonny are ibani ijaws n speak ibani as mother tongue
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by EngrKemp: 7:38pm On Sep 24, 2022
michelz:

Yes, because 'Ijaw' is political coinage. Anybody can claim Ijaw these days if you live close to the river.
However, when you bear an Igbo name, practice Igbo culture and also speak Igbo, then you're surely Igbo.
Opobo and Bonny don't practice Igbo culture nor bear Igbo names..
Why do u even speak English and bear English names when u r not an English man or woman..never v been there.
They can bear any name they want..
Those listed on the other yhread v no Igbo names not even one Igbo name.
Hardly will u see ibani people bear Igbo names ....
Those who bear do so because maybe the wife is Igbo and that's all...
Or the mother was not married and the Igbo woman trains up the child that's all
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Grandmeister(m): 7:40pm On Sep 24, 2022
EndsarsReloaded:

Don't mind those fools. Can one speak a particular language and bear names that doesn't align with same language?!

Opobo people speak Igbo as their mother tongue so why won't they bear Igbo names?

Let those fools go to Aba where many Opobo people live and check the names they bear.
My good friend Diri dienye from opobo speaks flawless Igbo, so does his family, his father and his father’s father. Back then in 2012 when we met he told me opobo was not in Igbo land., I never knew until then. The creation of certain ‘borders’ in Nigeria was conceived and hatched by the devil himself
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Arda1000(m): 7:49pm On Sep 24, 2022
EngrKemp:

Lies .
Not true..
Opobo n Bonny are ibani ijaws n speak ibani as mother tongue
an average Ipob only hears about Ibani but can’t speak come in it, they all speak Igbo and teach their children Igbo and if that is not mother tongue for u then I give up
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by michelz: 7:50pm On Sep 24, 2022
EngrKemp:

Sorry , u are a super ignoramus...

Niger delta is bigger in land mass and population than all Igbo land.
Rivers State and bayelsa states combined is bigger than all Igbo states.

Dot
You keep on going off tangent. Are you sure you're not the same " General Ditari breaking news !" guy that stubbornly refused to admit himself in a psychiatric ward?
Can you tell me exactly what the sizes of Niger Delta and Igbo land have to do with the topic of this thread?
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by michelz: 8:03pm On Sep 24, 2022
EngrKemp:

The mother tongue is ibani ijaw and not Igbo.
Nobody speaks Igbo proudly..

U speak English and that does not make u an English man ..
Ibb speaks Hausa..if they ask u ,u will call him Hausa ..
But ibb is Nupe...
Igbo spoken is not the heritage..it's a language of trade and nothing more.

All the Opobo and Bonny people v told u point blank they r ibani and not Igbo.

Stop land grabbing..

There is no where in history where Igbo people of hinterlands has a business with the seas
The way and manner you people lie shamelessly on an anonymous forum such as this is nauseating.
These thrash you said in your last statement has been proven here on this forum severally to be outright falsehood and dumped in the dustbin.
If you say Opobo and Bonny aren't Igbos, how about their Ndoki brothers that speak exact same language with them and practice the same culture?
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by EngrKemp: 8:15pm On Sep 24, 2022
Rahkman:
I am not ibo but I feel if u want to disassociate urself from someone you should change ur names ur culture ur dressing ur language Nd everything or those people will continue to see you as part of them
This is ijaw dressing and no Igbo dresses like this ..
Moreso,all Igbo recent dressing and attires were sold to them by ijaws because ijaws were the Marchants who were dealing with Europeans traders.
Igbos never traded with Europeans.. they were sold as slaves..
Language was a language of trade
Ibb is Nupe and not Hausa but speaking Hausa,u can't see hausas claim him as an huasa nor kanuris as Hausa just because they speak same Hausa n dresses same.
This is typical ibani ijaw dressing and no Igbo can claim this

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by OfoIgbo: 8:45pm On Sep 24, 2022
GreatBoss:
Im in Bonny right now. My name is Idawarifa and that is because im from Bonny. Does that sound like Igbo name to you?
Landlocked Dotians.

Is Igbo your first language? Because if it isn't, I can conclusively say you're not from Bonny
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by christistruth01: 9:54pm On Sep 24, 2022
grin
AlexBells:

There is big difference between propaganda and reality, I don't know about Kanu's methods or whether his motives is in line with attacking the west, however the Igbo nation has produced more notable personalities in Nigerian history than any other people, so you limit the models by weifh the Igbos can learn from only Ojukwu and Biafra is unfair, I'm from a Zik's school of thought and I idolise major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu.

Nzeogwu did advice Ojukwu that matching towards the West was a bad military decision rather it should be towards the North, today tge Igbo nation is not going to war with Nigeria I don't see it happening we only have issues in Bonny and Opobo. Would Yorubas allies with Ijaws to attack us, that's another issue and if I'm the commander or a leader in Igbo nation given such decisions of the Yorubas to join Ijaws.

We shall also form an Allaince with the Fulanis and equip them to attack you through Ilorin both us and you would be at war in the same time, if you attack us directly or send your men to fight in Opobo anf Bonny directly then we send ours to fight in Ilorin then Ibadan, in the event that we mean to attack Yorubaland, we shall come through the sea and land in Ondo and Lagos while we wait for you in PH, Opobo and other coastal Igbo areas, forget about land no side will make that to go through the land, for air, we shall have air Superiority over you cause we have more airline currently

grin

Some People are looking for a bigger
Calamity than the one that landed on Ojukwu and his Army
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by urbobo20(m): 10:07pm On Sep 24, 2022
[quote author=GreatBoss post=116965852] The Deputy Governor of Bayelsa is from Ofoni. Ofoni is Ijaw town of Tarakiri Clan. If not, there is no way he could have been Deputy of Bayelsa.[/quot my brother ofoni is not ijaw and can never be ijaw . Ofoni is urhobo
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by AlexBells(m): 3:56am On Sep 25, 2022
christistruth01:
grin

grin

Some People are looking for a bigger
Calamity than the one that landed on Ojukwu and his Army
I think it is cawardise that makes your people of this generation to shy away from unavoidable battle, at least Yorubas of old can do better, they fought for Ilorin twice and lost I appreciate them for fighting your people of this generation are some bunch of cowards, we shall fight any tribal people that comes for our troubles, however I don’t forsee fighting the Fed that’s the only place we could have issues in fighting, however we take our fighting training every now and then with the Feds I bet any single a thing group will win us in Nigeria or even Africa we also hav. Allies so far we are fighting tribal wars
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by Christistruth00: 6:21am On Sep 25, 2022
AlexBells:

I think it is cawardise that makes your people of this generation to shy away from unavoidable battle, at least Yorubas of old can do better, they fought for Ilorin twice and lost I appreciate them for fighting your people of this generation are some bunch of cowards, we shall fight any tribal people that comes for our troubles, however I don’t forsee fighting the Fed that’s the only place we could have issues in fighting, however we take our fighting training every now and then with the Feds I bet any single a thing group will win us in Nigeria or even Africa we also hav. Allies so far we are fighting tribal wars

Exactly the same Arrogance as Ojukwu

who Cowardly fled and abandoned his People on the Battlefield in the end

The first General to do so in History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9W8SJN2nlU

Kwara was already taken back before the British arrived

Till today Ilorin is a Yoruba Town More than 90% of the indigenes are Yoruba

My Mother was born and raised in Ilorin my Cousin's are still there

All Civilians Governors of Kwara have been Yoruba

Ilorin was founded by Afonja's Great Grandfather and the Yorubas there are of Oyo Ethnic Stock

The ruler of Ilorin when the British arrived was a Yoruba man Called balogun alanamu .

The last Emir Momoh had been defeated by the Yoruba Chiefs and had burnt himself alive inside his Palace

Ilorin has Fulani Presence only because the British reimposed the defeated Emir on Ilorin around 1900

Before that balogun Yoruba (Inakoju alanamu) was the actual ruler of Ilorin.

The Emir had been deposed by the Ilorin Yoruba Chiefs before the British arrived.

balogun alanamu fought the British and was exiled to Jebba after the British defeated him.

It was the British that reinstaled an Emir in Ilorin after the defeat of balogun Yoruba Inakoju alanamu due to Political Pressure from Northern Emirs .

The Emir of Ilorin had been defeated and deposed by the Ilorin Yoruba Chiefs before the British arrived.

The British left at Independence after an agreement was made to have a referendum Kwara State.

The Post independence Government of Balewa and Azikiwe frustrated that referendum by not carrying out the Kwara referendum which should have happened at the same time as the Midwest referendum in order to cripple Awolowo and his Party Politically after Awolowo had been jailed in 1962

Balewa and Azikiwe also didn't Carry out the other referendums agreed with the British before independence meant for the Eastern and Northern Minority Ethnic groups.

Ilorin still has an Emir because of Colonial and Tribal Politics

There are at least 30 Towns with Crowned Obas that Completely encircle Ilorin

Ilorin is Practically a Yoruba Town

The Emir is not Fulani but Hausa

And they were Yorubanised at least a Century ago

Ilorin and Kwara are Yorubaland

https://www.iosrjournals.org/iosr-jhss/papers/Vol7-issue2/D0721518.pdf?id=5971

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by michelz: 6:44am On Sep 25, 2022
Christistruth00:

Ilorin was founded by Afonja's Great Grandfather and the Yorubas there are of Oyo Ethnic Stock

The ruler of Ilorin when the British arrived was a Yoruba man Called balogun alanamu .

The last Emir Momoh had been defeated by the Yoruba Chiefs and had burnt himself alive inside his Palace

Ilorin has Fulani Presence only because the British reimposed the defeated Emir on Ilorin around 1900

The Emir had been deposed by the Ilorin Yoruba Chiefs before the British arrived.

balogun alanamu fought the British and was exiled to Jebba after the British defeated him.

It was the British that reinstaled an Emir in Ilorin after the defeat of balogun Yoruba Inakoju alanamu due to Political Pressure from Northern Emirs .

The Emir of Ilorin had been defeated and deposed by the Ilorin Yoruba Chiefs before the British arrived.

The British left at Independence after an agreement was made to have a referendum Kwara State.

The Post independence Government of Balewa and Azikiwe frustrated that referendum by not carrying out the Kwara referendum which should have happened at the same time as the Midwest referendum in order to cripple Awolowo and his Party Politically after Awolowo had been jailed in 1962

Balewa and Azikiwe also didn't Carry out the other referendums agreed with the British before independence meant for the Eastern and Northern Minority Ethnic groups.

Yadayadayada.... Go and take back Ilorin from your masters and you're here telling us the history of the world.

2 Likes

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by AlexBells(m): 6:52am On Sep 25, 2022
Christistruth00:

I think the problem with you Yorubas is thinking you are the only one that thinks, welcome writing the history of Ilorin but it is under the caliphate making it a property of the caliph.

Did you read the history of Opobo for instance, King Jaja was an Igbo slave boy who founded the kingdom of Opobo about a century ago, he came to Opobo with 14 Kanoe houses, there ought to be indigenous people in Opobo before his arrival, also trade in palm oil came from Igbo hinterland bringing natives from Igbo hinterland.

Today Opobo speaks Igbo abd ruled by the Jaja dynasty, now while it is arguably that Jaja married Ijaw wife it is undisputed that in his veins runs Igbo blood so why are the Ijaws trying to cut the Igbo link that the problem if they don't behave we seize the kingdom and Bonny as well or declare both independent protectorate should Nigeria seize someday

1 Like

Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by christistruth01: 2:32pm On Sep 26, 2022
AlexBells:

I think the problem with you Yorubas is thinking you are the only one that thinks, welcome writing the history of Ilorin but it is under the caliphate making it a property of the caliph.

Did you read the history of Opobo for instance, King Jaja was an Igbo slave boy who founded the kingdom of Opobo about a century ago, he came to Opobo with 14 Kanoe houses, there ought to be indigenous people in Opobo before his arrival, also trade in palm oil came from Igbo hinterland bringing natives from Igbo hinterland.

Today Opobo speaks Igbo abd ruled by the Jaja dynasty, now while it is arguably that Jaja married Ijaw wife it is undisputed that in his veins runs Igbo blood so why are the Ijaws trying to cut the Igbo link that the problem if they don't behave we seize the kingdom and Bonny as well or declare both independent protectorate should Nigeria seize someday

Apart from the Itsekiri do you know that there are Towns in Delta State that were actually founded by Yorubas yet theYoruba are not Claiming them because only the People themselves can determine and Choose where they would like to belong

Also Ilorin is Majority Yoruba more than 90% and also Ilorin is completely encircled by more than 30 Towns with Crowned Yoruba Obas

Ilorin is like Swaziland inside South Africa

Lastly the Emir of Ilorin is Hausa and not Fulani because the Hausa later on overthrew the Fulani at Ilorin that was why Yorubas started saying " Gambari Pa Fulani Ko so ejo ni be"

Meaning if the Hausas and Fulani have decided to Slaughter themselves (At Ilorin) it is none of our Business

Because of the Atrocities of the Bandits there is a Major Cold War going on Between the Hausa and Fulani

Finally all the Civilian Governors of Ilorin have been Yorubas
Re: Checkout Why Opobo People Don't Bear Igbo Names by AlexBells(m): 3:03pm On Sep 26, 2022
christistruth01:

Apart from the Itsekiri do you know that there are Towns in Delta State that were actually founded by Yorubas yet theYoruba are not Claiming them because only the People themselves can determine and Choose where they would like to belong

Also Ilorin is Majority Yoruba more than 90% and also Ilorin is completely encircled by more than 30 Towns with Crowned Yoruba Obas

Ilorin is like Swaziland inside South Africa

Lastly the Emir of Ilorin is Hausa and not Fulani because the Hausa later on overthrew the Fulani at Ilorin that was why Yorubas started saying " Gambari Pa Fulani Ko so ejo ni be"

Meaning if the Hausas and Fulani have decided to Slaughter themselves (At Ilorin) it is none of our Business

Because of the Atrocities of the Bandits there is a Major Cold War going on Between the Hausa and Fulani

Finally all the Civilian Governors of Ilorin have been Yorubas
When real Nations are talking, Yorubas shouldn’t talk at all about claiming any people, you people are too desperate for power that you leave the real fight and fight yourself.

Won’t you start first by reclaiming Ilorin in full, you guys really take a whole back sit when it comes to nationalities driven by purpose in west Africa, I honestly put Benin, Igala and Fulanis ahead of you when it comes to National pride you are neither here nor there, you like to pull down yourself, Akintola abd Awo don’t be surprised Tinubu downfall could come from Yorubaland, Yoruba lack unity of purpose honestly you can’t claim anyone abeg on what ground have you found a purpose, Igbos have a purpose which is if Nigeria can’t work then Biafra or breakup what do you Yorubas live for ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor Wike Revoked The C Of O Of The Building Use For Atiku Campaign Office / LAGOS GUBER & PLIGHT OF IGBO: Law Of Reciprocity Is The Solution / How Is Supporting The Right Candidate Being Emotional Or Sentimental?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.