Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,557 members, 7,812,784 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:18 PM

What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? (6113 Views)

The Atheists Test / What Really Constitute a Myth. I See All Religion Guilty Of Its Features. / To All The Atheists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 30, 2011
Purist:

I agree.  But shouldn't it be so ideally?  Afterall, the average atheist out there is only in pursuit of established fact-based truths.  And so should every other rational, honest person.

Oh please not this boring lie again. Really? the atheist is some scientific genius who only wants "established fact-based truths"? Yeah and i saw pigs fly out of my window.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by wordtalk(m): 11:00pm On Aug 30, 2011
davidylan:

Yeah and i saw pigs fly out of my window.

^^ fact-based! grin grin
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by Nobody: 12:00am On Aug 31, 2011
Purist:

I agree.  But shouldn't it be so ideally?  Afterall, the average atheist out there is only in pursuit of established fact-based truths.  And so should every other rational, honest person.
Really? grin grin grin grin You guys are soooooooo LOST then! grin So WHY the FRONTING as if you have FIGURED IT ALL OUT? PATHETIC! undecided
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by Purist(m): 8:08am On Aug 31, 2011
InesQor:

@Purist:

I am inclined to pick further arguments in your responses but let's just agree to disagree. wink

Alright then, man.

Okay. smiley
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by Purist(m): 8:09am On Aug 31, 2011
davidylan:

Oh please not this boring lie again. Really? the atheist is some scientific genius who only wants "established fact-based truths"? Yeah and i saw pigs fly out of my window.

I didn't know that only scientific geniuses were entitled to 'established fact-based truths'.  My point though, is that if the evolution theory is eventually proven to be true beyond any reasonable doubt, it would indeed be foolish and dishonest to dismiss it simply because it contradicts one's religious beliefs.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 31, 2011
Purist:

I didn't know that only scientific geniuses were entitled to 'established fact-based truths'.  My point though, is that if the evolution theory is eventually proven to be true beyond any reasonable doubt, it would indeed be foolish and dishonest to dismiss it simply because it contradicts one's religious beliefs.
The EVOLUTION THEORY [/b]would forever remain what it is, [b]A THEORY! Do you see yourself WISE then dismissing other account's of creation simply because you CHOSE to stop BELIEVING?
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Aug 31, 2011
Purist:

Just as foolish as you who pander to what you know is merely a theory and has no empirical justification.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by thehomer: 1:29pm On Aug 31, 2011
Purist:

Actually, an established scientific theory is accepted as being true beyond reasonable doubt.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by thehomer: 1:30pm On Aug 31, 2011
sexkillz:

The EVOLUTION THEORY [/b]would forever remain what it is, [b]A THEORY! Do you see yourself WISE then dismissing other account's of creation simply because you CHOSE to stop BELIEVING?

The fact that it is called the theory of evolution is a good thing.
Have you dismissed the Yoruba account of creation? How about the Aztec one? Which did you settle on and why? You really need to understand what a scientific theory is.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by thehomer: 1:34pm On Aug 31, 2011
davidylan:

Just as foolish as you who pander to what you know is merely a theory and has no empirical justification.

The theory of evolution has no empirical justification? Please, what sort of lab do you work in? Did you take an elementary course in biology? At the very least, start by reading the Wikipedia link I referred you to so you don't sound this ignorant on evolution.
Again, you claim to be knowledgeable on the theory of evolution but you demonstrate otherwise.
Simply click on this link and read it. You will note the empirical basis for the theory.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 31, 2011
thehomer:

The theory of evolution has no empirical justification? Please, what sort of lab do you work in? Did you take an elementary course in biology? At the very least, start by reading the Wikipedia link I referred you to so you don't sound this ignorant on evolution.
Again, you claim to be knowledgeable on the theory of evolution but you demonstrate otherwise.
Simply click on this link and read it. You will note the empirical basis for the theory.

the typical atheist game. Conflate micro and macro evolution so as to avoid the fact that macro evolution, which is truly the theory in controversy, has no empirical evidence whatsoever.

Back when we were in high school, micro evolution used to be known by its original names - mutation and natural selection.

note how thehomer's wiki link DECEPTIVELY and casually links micro and macro evolution into one alleged smooth story - Evolution may in the long term lead to speciation, whereby a single ancestral species splits into two or more different species. Speciation is visible in anatomical, genetic and other similarities between groups of organisms, geographical distribution of related species, the fossil record and the recorded genetic changes in living organisms over many generations. Common descent stretches back over 3.5 billion years during which life has existed on earth.[10][11][12][13] Both evolution within populations and speciation between them are thought to occur in multiple ways such as slowly, steadily and gradually over time or rapidly from one long static state to another.

Note the speculation, guess work and stretching of facts that is required to justify macro evolution. For a theory that is "established fact" . . . you begin to wonder. Just who is fooling who?
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 31, 2011
thehomer:

The fact that it is called the theory of evolution is a good thing.
Have you dismissed the Yoruba account of creation? How about the Aztec one? Which did you settle on and why? You really need to understand what a scientific theory is.

For one we know it is not an established fact. grin
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by thehomer: 6:24pm On Aug 31, 2011
davidylan:

the typical atheist game. Conflate micro and macro evolution so as to avoid the fact that macro evolution, which is truly the theory in controversy, has no empirical evidence whatsoever.

Back when we were in high school, micro evolution used to be known by its original names - mutation and natural selection.

So what is macro evolution? And what is the difference between it and micro evolution?

davidylan:

note how thehomer's wiki link DECEPTIVELY and casually links micro and macro evolution into one alleged smooth story - Evolution may in the long term lead to speciation, whereby a single ancestral species splits into two or more different species. Speciation is visible in anatomical, genetic and other similarities between groups of organisms, geographical distribution of related species, the fossil record and the recorded genetic changes in living organisms over many generations. Common descent stretches back over 3.5 billion years during which life has existed on earth.[10][11][12][13] Both evolution within populations and speciation between them are thought to occur in multiple ways such as slowly, steadily and gradually over time or rapidly from one long static state to another.

Note the speculation, guess work and stretching of facts that is required to justify macro evolution. For a theory that is "established fact" . . . you begin to wonder. Just who is fooling who?

Wow. You really need to calm down and read what you just posted again. It doesn't say what you're implying. While science and scientists are cautious and use cautious language (unlike religious claims e.g snakes and donkeys speaking to people or zombies wandering round a city), you need to be careful of trying to make a mountain out of a grain of salt.
Here let me break it down for you.

Wikipedia:
Evolution may in the long term lead to speciation, whereby a single ancestral species splits into two or more different species. Speciation is visible in anatomical, genetic and other similarities between groups of organisms, geographical distribution of related species, the fossil record and the recorded genetic changes in living organisms over many generations.

What this says is that in some cases, new species may arise in other cases, they may not. Note that if a certain environment doesn't change significantly, the drive for the organism to change will also be absent so the organism too will not change significantly or it could be that the organism's form was actually good enough to sustain it through the change. That is the concept behind the term "living fossil".

Wikipedia:

Common descent stretches back over 3.5 billion years during which life has existed on earth.[10][11][12][13] Both evolution within populations and speciation between them are thought to occur in multiple ways such as slowly, steadily and gradually over time or rapidly from one long static state to another.

Again, what is the problem here? You will note that the scientists agree that these organisms did evolve the question here is whether it was a steady and gradual or rapidly from one static state to another. You may note that in both these instances, what is being spoken of is geological time.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by thehomer: 6:30pm On Aug 31, 2011
davidylan:

For one we know it is not an established fact.  grin

Again, you're demonstrating crass ignorance of scientific principles. Now please read this link and rectify it.

Here's a basic definition from the U.S. NAS

U.S. NAS:

The formal scientific definition of theory is quite different from the everyday meaning of the word. It refers to a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence. Many scientific theories are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them substantially. For example, no new evidence will demonstrate that the Earth does not orbit around the sun (heliocentric theory), or that living things are not made of cells (cell theory), that matter is not composed of atoms, or that the surface of the Earth is not divided into solid plates that have moved over geological timescales (the theory of plate tectonics). One of the most useful properties of scientific theories is that they can be used to make predictions about natural events or phenomena that have not yet been observed.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Aug 31, 2011
thehomer:

So what is macro evolution? And what is the difference between it and micro evolution?

Obviously you are not aware if not you would not be conflating the 2.

thehomer:

Wow. You really need to calm down and read what you just posted again. It doesn't say what you're implying. While science and scientists are cautious and use cautious language (unlike religious claims e.g snakes and donkeys speaking to people or zombies wandering round a city), you need to be careful of trying to make a mountain out of a grain of salt.
Here let me break it down for you.

I've written papers before and i still write . . . i know VERY WELL how and why we use allegedly "cautious" language. Its a shell game, the use of such language is largely reserved for making specious insinuations where we have NO direct evidence! It was one of the problems i faced in grad school and with scientific paper reviewers, anytime you make a categorical statement, you have to back it up with CONCRETE EVIDENCE in at least 2 separate systems. To avoid this, you simply insert "cautious" language and voila you're just fine to make as many assumptions as you like!

thehomer:

What this says is that in some cases, new species may arise in other cases, they may not. Note that if a certain environment doesn't change significantly, the drive for the organism to change will also be absent so the organism too will not change significantly or it could be that the organism's form was actually good enough to sustain it through the change. That is the concept behind the term "living fossil".

That's absolutely NOT true. Read your link again . . . it started out describing the 4 cardinal mechanisms for micro evolution which is based on concrete, reliable evidence. One important note, there is NO USE of cautious language for the first 6 lines where micro evolution is defined and described. for example, we are not told that "The first mechanism is natural selection, a process in which there is (may be) differential survival and reproduction of entities that differ in one or more inherited traits" (inserts mine). this is a CATEGORICAL statement of FACT.

Now you get to line 7 (which you ignorantly try to pass of as an example of scientific caution) . . . where the author starts to describe MACRO EVOLUTION (darwinian theory of man's descent from a primordial soup) and we begin to find "cautious" language that was completely absent in the first 6 lines?

The author is NOT saying that new species may or may not arise as you falsely allege with no proof whatsoever . . . the author is quite clear - Evolution may in the [b]long term lead to speciation, whereby a single ancestral species splits into two or more different species.[/b]

Note the use of the phrase "long term" here as this is a CLEAR PLUG for the darwinian theory of evolution. If the author where suggesting that evolution in the long term may NOT lead to speciation then he absolutely DESTROYS darwin's theory of evolution . . . since that implies we did not evolve!

Wow! How ignorant can these folks be?

thehomer:

Again, what is the problem here? You will note that the scientists agree that these organisms did evolve the question here is whether it was a steady and gradual or rapidly from one static state to another. You may note that in both these instances, what is being spoken of is geological time.

first of all, the earlier portion of that paragraph has implied there is no evidence long term speciation occurs at all! It follows that this in itself is a possible explanation of how speciation could have possibly occured (again no evidence provided) IF AT ALL speciation did occur.

Oh dear . . pseudo-science at its best.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by thehomer: 7:19pm On Aug 31, 2011
davidylan:

Obviously you are not aware if not you would not be conflating the 2.

I've written papers before and i still write . . . i know VERY WELL how and why we use allegedly "cautious" language. Its a shell game, the use of such language is largely reserved for making specious insinuations where we have NO direct evidence! It was one of the problems i faced in grad school and with scientific paper reviewers, anytime you make a categorical statement, you have to back it up with CONCRETE EVIDENCE in at least 2 separate systems. To avoid this, you simply insert "cautious" language and voila you're just fine to make as many assumptions as you like!

I notice that you have not pointed out what macro evolution is and the difference between it and micro evolution.
I wonder how long it will take for you to realize that if you're not making absolute statements, then you're left with making statements based on the odds of the information you have being correct.

davidylan:

That's absolutely NOT true. Read your link again . . . it started out describing the 4 cardinal mechanisms for micro evolution which is based on concrete, reliable evidence. One important note, there is NO USE of cautious language for the first 6 lines where micro evolution is defined and described. for example, we are not told that "The first mechanism is natural selection, a process in which there is (may be) differential survival and reproduction of entities that differ in one or more inherited traits" (inserts mine). this is a CATEGORICAL statement of FACT.

I see you're simply altering the article as you go along. First, can you point out where those mechanisms were limited to this "micro evolution" you're talking about? What is being referred to there is evolution and not your "micro evolution".

davidylan:

Now you get to line 7 (which you ignorantly try to pass of as an example of scientific caution) . . . where the author starts to describe MACRO EVOLUTION (darwinian theory of man's descent from a primordial soup) and we begin to find "cautious" language that was completely absent in the first 6 lines?

You need to mention that you're the one claiming the author is describing your macro evolution. Simply read the article and note that he was referring to evolution.

davidylan:

The author is NOT saying that new species may or may not arise as you falsely allege with no proof whatsoever . . . the author is quite clear - Evolution may in the [b]long term lead to speciation, whereby a single ancestral species splits into two or more different species.[/b]

Note the use of the phrase "long term" here as this is a CLEAR PLUG for the darwinian theory of evolution. If the author where suggesting that evolution in the long term may NOT lead to speciation then he absolutely DESTROYS darwin's theory of evolution . . . since that implies we did not evolve!

What on earth are you saying? Organisms that have not changed much over millions of years are available and are explained by this theory. You are simply making stuff up and inserting them willy-nilly into the article.

davidylan:

Wow! How ignorant can these folks be?

I'm sorry but I'm beginning to question your reading comprehension because you are modifying the article to say things that are clearly not in it. I would be glad if you could point out the difference between macro and micro evolution as referred to in the introductory part of the article you're referring to.

davidylan:

first of all, the earlier portion of that paragraph has implied there is no evidence long term speciation occurs at all! It follows that this in itself is a possible explanation of how speciation could have possibly occured (again no evidence provided) IF AT ALL speciation did occur.

What? You got this from that paragraph of the article? "No evidence of long term speciation . . . and it follows that it is an explanation of how speciation occurred"? What are you saying? This here is incoherent. How can no evidence of speciation be an explanation of how speciation occurred?
And we've not even gotten to the evidence in support of evolution.

davidylan:

Oh dear . .  pseudo-science at its best.

Sorry but the fact that you have decided not to understand something doesn't make it pseudo science.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 31, 2011
thehomer:

I notice that you have not pointed out what macro evolution is and the difference between it and micro evolution.
I wonder how long it will take for you to realize that if you're not making absolute statements, then you're left with making statements based on the odds of the information you have being correct.

First of all, second line makes absolutely no sense. I wonder if you also demand absolute language from science rather than the dubious "cautious" language claims.
Secondly, your wiki link already makes a clear distinction between micro and macro evolution . . . read it - i wont spoonfeed you either. Besides i also make that very clear in my posts . . . if you cant see it then you need to return to biology high school classes.

thehomer:

I see you're simply altering the article as you go along. First, can you point out where those mechanisms were limited to this "micro evolution" you're talking about? What is being referred to there is evolution and not your "micro evolution".

that's largely because you are one in a long line of misinformed noise makers here. If you dont know what micro evolution is then maybe you should start with a wiki link too . . . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microevolution

Here is the very first line from the link - [size=13pt]Microevolution is a change in allele frequencies within a population over time.[1] This change is due to four different processes: mutation, selection (natural and artificial), gene flow and genetic drift[/size]. Trust me, i didnt go and alter the link . . .

all 4 mechanisms clearly defined as the processes involved in micro evolution. Try finding the same mechanism under macro-evolution . . . wiki is a good place to start too. ode.

I'll just stop here at this point. Arguing with this brainless twerp is taking too much of my time. Arguing on a topic you dont know anything about? the purview of the atheist who thinks too much of his minuscule intelligence.

I presume this is the first time you're realising that evolution is actually divided into two right with only macro-evolution dealing with darwinian evolution? Dumb.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by Purist(m): 8:18pm On Aug 31, 2011
davidylan:

You really do enjoy insulting people, don't you? Jesus must be really proud of you.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 31, 2011
Purist:

You really do enjoy insulting people, don't you? Jesus must be really proud of you.

I'm sure you have been missing the pointed barbs right? I give as good as i get . . . dont like it then stay out. If Christ is a fairy tale then i wonder why you're bothered about what he thinks of me. Do you worry about what santa claus thinks of your christmas gift?
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by thehomer: 8:23pm On Aug 31, 2011
davidylan:

First of all, second line makes absolutely no sense. I wonder if you also demand absolute language from science rather than the dubious "cautious" language claims.

It would make sense if you new how to read and comprehend English Language. I do not demand absolute language from science. What I request for is evidence. Do you demand absolute language from science and scientists?

davidylan:

Secondly, your wiki link already makes a clear distinction between micro and macro evolution . . . read it - i wont spoonfeed you either. Besides i also make that very clear in my posts . . . if you cant see it then you need to return to biology high school classes.

I'm not asking you to spoonfeed me, my point is that the distinction it makes isn't the one you're making. It seems you've realized this which is why you're hesitant to actually repeat what you said about it previously. And note that the distinction wasn't in the introduction you were wailing about.

davidylan:

that's largely because you are one in a long line of misinformed noise makers here. If you dont know what micro evolution is then maybe you should start with a wiki link too . . . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microevolution

I didn't say I didn't know what it was, I was asking for what you thought it was because what you're linking to actually does support the theory of evolution simply read it.
Also, the link says something quite different from what you've been implying. I hope you read through that link because this was also on the page you linked.

Wikipedia:
Misuse
See also: Speciation

The term 'microevolution' has recently become popular in the anti-evolution movement, in particular among young Earth creationists, to distinguish between evolutionary changes among populations which can interbreed (microevolution) and changes among populations which cannot interbreed (macroevolution). The main argument is that change beyond the species level would require similar enough changes in both a male and female in the same place and time, and that those two would have to successfully interbreed in order to create a sustainable population. This simplistic objection ignores the slow and gradual nature of evolutionary change: at no point does evolution propose the "sudden" appearance or birth of an individual or individuals without the capacity to mate with their population, but asserts as its main mechanism the gradual accumulation of (environmentally favorable) changes occurring in a long sequence of births. Speciation, or "macroevolution", occurs when members of one population, previously belonging to one species, are no longer able to mate with members of another population - thus creating their own species.

The attempt to differentiate between microevolution and macroevolution is considered to have no scientific basis by any mainstream scientific organization, including the American Association for the Advancement of Science.[47] Contrary to belief among the anti-evolution movement proponents, evolution of life forms beyond the species level ("macroevolution", i.e. speciation) has indeed been observed and documented by scientists on numerous occasions.[48]

The claim that microevolution is qualitatively different from macroevolution is wrong, as the main difference between the two processes is that one occurs within a few generations, whilst the other takes place over thousands of years (i.e. a quantitative difference).[49] Essentially they describe the same process; although evolution beyond the species level results in beginning and ending generations which could not interbreed, the intermediate generations could. Even changes in the number of chromosomes can be accounted for by intermediate stages in which a single chromosome divides in generational stages, or multiple chromosomes fuse. A well documented example is the chromosome difference between humans and great apes.
Source
(Emphasis mine)

That is what you're trying to do.

davidylan:

Here is the very first line from the link - [size=13pt]Microevolution is a change in allele frequencies within a population over time.[1] This change is due to four different processes: mutation, selection (natural and artificial), gene flow and genetic drift[/size]. Trust me, i didnt go and alter the link . . .

You have decided to switch to another page when it finally dawned on you that you were saying rubbish. Carefully read through that link too.

davidylan:

all 4 mechanisms clearly defined as the processes involved in micro evolution. Try finding the same mechanism under macro-evolution . . . wiki is a good place to start too. ode.

You lobotomized character the scientific use of the terms is quite different from that of you creationists. Again, carefully read what it says. I hope I don't have to show you again that like the phrase "Scientific theory", it doesn't mean what you think it means.

davidylan:

I'll just stop here at this point. Arguing with this brainless twerp is taking too much of my time. Arguing on a topic you dont know anything about? the purview of the atheist who thinks too much of his minuscule intelligence.

Please stop and continue injecting your reagents into your brain. Once again, you claim others do not know what they're talking about when the very pages you're linking to actually say something quite different (sometimes contradictory) from what you're saying. I recommended books to you you were wailing. You now have Wikipedia before you and you're unable to understand what is written in its pages. Sheesh.

davidylan:

I presume this is the first time you're realising that evolution is actually divided into two right with only macro-evolution dealing with darwinian evolution? Dumb.

It is a shameful sight to see someone who reads without comprehension. You actually think that only macro-evolution deals with the theory of evolution? And you got this from the Wikipedia entries on evolution? Wow.
Please read this too from the page on macro evolution. It is exactly what you're doing which is misusing it.

Wikipedia:
Misuse
Main article: Objections to evolution
See also: Speciation

The term "macroevolution" frequently arises within the context of the evolution/creation debate, usually used by creationists alleging a significant difference between the evolutionary changes observed in field and laboratory studies and the larger scale macroevolutionary changes that scientists believe to have taken thousands or millions of years to occur. They may accept that evolutionary change is possible within species ("microevolution"wink, but deny that one species can evolve into another ("macroevolution"wink.[1] Contrary to this belief among the anti-evolution movement proponents, evolution of life forms beyond the species level ("macroevolution", i.e. speciation in a specific case) has indeed been observed multiple times under both controlled laboratory conditions and in nature.[13] The claim that macroevolution does not occur, or is impossible, is thus demonstrably false and without support in the scientific community.

Such claims are rejected by the scientific community on the basis of ample evidence that macroevolution is an active process both presently and in the past.[5][14] The terms macroevolution and microevolution relate to the same processes operating at different scales, but creationist claims misuse the terms in a vaguely defined way which does not accurately reflect scientific usage, acknowledging well observed evolution as "microevolution" and denying that "macroevolution" takes place.[5][15] Evolutionary theory (including macroevolutionary change) remains the dominant scientific paradigm for explaining the origins of Earth's biodiversity. Its occurrence is not disputed within the scientific community.[16] While details of macroevolution are continuously studied by the scientific community, the overall theory behind macroevolution (i.e. common descent) has been overwhelmingly consistent with empirical data. Predictions of empirical data from the theory of common descent have been so consistent that biologists often refer to it as the "fact of evolution".[17][18]

Nicholas Matzke and Paul R. Gross have accused creationists of using "strategically elastic" definitions of micro- and macroevolution when discussing the topic.[1] The actual definition of macroevolution accepted by scientists is "any change at the species level or above" (phyla, group, etc.) and microevolution is "any change below the level of species." Matzke and Gross state that many creationist critics define macroevolution as something that cannot be attained, as these critics describe any observed evolutionary change as "just microevolution".
Source
(Emphasis mine)

And you call yourself a lab attendant.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by thehomer: 8:24pm On Aug 31, 2011
davidylan:

I'm sure you have been missing the pointed barbs right? I give as good as i get . . . dont like it then stay out. If Christ is a fairy tale then i wonder why you're bothered about what he thinks of me. Do you worry about what santa claus thinks of your christmas gift?

I hope you've rectified your ignorance of what a scientific theory means.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Aug 31, 2011
thehomer, when i'm done with lunch i will be back to treat the latest nonsense i read posted up here.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by thehomer: 8:27pm On Aug 31, 2011
davidylan:

thehomer, when i'm done with lunch i will be back to treat the latest nonsense i read posted up here.

meh.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by thehomer: 11:29pm On Sep 08, 2011
davidylan:

This must have been quite a heavy lunch. I really hope you didn't choke on the heavy meal.
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:59pm On Sep 09, 2011
, , , what is the point
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by globexl: 3:42pm On Sep 09, 2011
@Toba:
You open a thread, you dodge simple questions and then move on to open another one on the same topic. I dont mean to be rude, but you seem very disengenous.
You obviously believe in god, which I figure is a great thing for you. But PLEASE, WHAT IS YOUR OBSESSION WITH ATHIESTS?
whether there is one athiest in the world or 1 million, so what? Does it somehow diminish your own faith?
I have askesd these questions before and let me ask them again.
Does your god need me more than I need him?
Are believers lonely and need more people?
Is there safety in numbers?
Do you need to constantly engage with athiests to validate your own faith?
iIm beginning to suspect that your personal faith is shaky thats why you need constant validation.
PROVE THE LOGIC OF ATHIESM

Ok let me try. And I want your rebuttal pls.
My simple logic behind my athiesm is that since thiests cannot say, prove or even theorize who created god, then god could not exist if god does not have an origin.
Does that satisfy you once and for all?
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:48pm On Sep 09, 2011
^^^ He has a need to get high(er) grin
Re: What Percentage Of The World's Population Does The Atheists Constitute? by globexl: 4:22pm On Sep 09, 2011
@Toba:
The fact that even 4% of the world's population are athiests is quick a remarkable given that religious belief has being defining our realities for all of the history of humankind up untill the last 100yrs or so.
Remeber ,people hardly make choices about religious beliefs. They are fed into their minds at infancy. That a small percentage of humanity manages top break free from thier rigid religious orientations are quite interesting and remarkable.
But most importanly, if aitheist are wrong about the existence of god, Do you, Toba, honestly believe that your god gives a hoot about what you and I believe or dont believe? The planet Jupiter is about 800 times the size of the earth, and there others much bigger than that. Whether you and I believe it or not, does it make any difference to Jupiter?
Atheist simply think its wiser to have start with doubts , have an open mind and show child-like meekness in the search for truth.
There nothing diffeent between you an an athiests. You express skeptism and doubts in YOUR EVERYDAY LIFE on various issues. as an estate valuer and surveyor, you deal on facts and figures. Do you accept survey reports based on blind faith?. You follow the time-tested and proven laid down rules of your proffesion to do your job. When doubts arise, you ask relevant questions like what,Who, when,how and why. Do you not? We all do the same, the difference is that you MAKE AN EXCEPTION when it comes to RELIGION and atheist do not.
That is the only difference.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Frosbel Let's Discuss Christianity / Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen / Post Your Religious Jokes Here (Let's Unwind)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.